MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia BeatStep Pro as a Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Arturia BeatStep Pro as a Sequencer
BasariStudios
Hi All,
i've heard from few people that you can use the BS Pro on a Modular as
a Sequencer, how good is it at it and what are the downsides?
Is it worth buying it or save the money and buy a Modular Sequencer Module?
Such as the A-55 and others?

Thanks
shredsickgnar
I'm using it as a sequencer. At first it was dropping notes and generally not working that great. I was super disappointed. I did the firmware update and everything is peachy now. When its working right its hard to beat as far as functionality vs price. It also frees up a ton of space in your rack for other modules.
milkshake
BasariStudios wrote:
Hi All,
i've heard from few people that you can use the BS Pro on a Modular as
a Sequencer, how good is it at it and what are the downsides?
Is it worth buying it or save the money and buy a Modular Sequencer Module?
Such as the A-55 and others?

Thanks

The new firmware works as it should.
I don't use it with a PC.
Fun vs bucks spend, its pretty much unbeatable.

That said, the A-155/154 combo is more fun imo.
Together with the A-160/A-160-2/A-160-5/A-161/A-152/A-150/A-151/A-163/A-165/A-156/A-166 to name a few, its a modular dream sequencer.
BugBrand
Couple of thoughts:

Plus-side -- 2 independent & well spec'd CV/Gate (+Velocity) channels - great that you can quickly (&, again, independently) set the length up to 64 steps.
Plus you get 8 gate outputs via the drum sequencing.
And it has many sync options - external clock - midi - dinsync etc.

But - unless I've overlooked something, you can't quickly use it like a more traditional seq which simply output 0 to +10V dialing each step's pot/slider (Korg SQ is more direct for something like that).

I haven't delved in absolute depth, but for the price it does pack so much in and I've not found any glaring booboo problems (have obviously updated firmware regularly)
BasariStudios
Thank you very much guys, i've set my head on it then...was looking
at the SQ1 but i think BS Pro is better in that department.
strangegravity
BSP is great. I use it as a standalone controller.

Sometimes mine goes wonky and the gates get stuck open but resetting the unit fixes this.
BasariStudios
One question about BS Pro. Can i clock it and sync it with Cubase and then
send that to the Modular? BS Pro to be used just as Thru, having the Sequencer
MIDI Messages recorded in a Cubase track ala regular regular hardware synth.
Same way to sync the LFOs temo, stuff like Maths and others.
Thanks
strangegravity
The BSP is a very deep device. I suggest you read the product documentation.

And yes it will do midi to cv from your DAW.
BasariStudios
Thanks Gravity...that is why i am not so obsessed yet with Sequencer and
Arpeggiators on the Modular...i still wanna run everything thru Cubase.
Abyssinianloop
Yes, 8/16/32/64 steps (or any custom length) per sequence PLUS you can chain patterns together for much longer sequences thanks to more recent firmware. hyper
XXXEsq
BasariStudios wrote:
One question about BS Pro. Can i clock it and sync it with Cubase and then
send that to the Modular? BS Pro to be used just as Thru, having the Sequencer
MIDI Messages recorded in a Cubase track ala regular regular hardware synth.
Same way to sync the LFOs temo, stuff like Maths and others.
Thanks

Yes. I do that exact thing with mine. I have Cubase as my master clock out to the BSP, and send the CVs to the modular. Then the audio from the modular is recorded into Cubase. I also (simultaneously) record the midi off the BSM into Cubase so I can manipulate it and then resend it through my midi>cv converters.
SuperNiCd
BugBrand wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

But - unless I've overlooked something, you can't quickly use it like a more traditional seq which simply output 0 to +10V dialing each step's pot/slider (Korg SQ is more direct for something like that).

I picked one up earlier this week, and love it. Surprising amount of depth to it given the asking price, and seems solidly built. Immediately upgraded to the current firmware and I've had no problems.

Yeah, you can dial each step's pot to change the voltage out (in real time), but the pitch out CV on the melodic sequencers seem to be limited to quantized steps that correspond to V/O note values. I don't think there is a mode to remove that semitone quantization. Though you can change the gate lengths into "Slide" mode and then the transition between each step is continuous (think glide/pitch bend) rather than stepped. Would be nice if you could "unquantize" it, but not a deal breaker for me.
GilgaFrank
Beatstep Pro is my hardware sequencer of choice for the modular and I'm thinking of adding another for the Prophet 08/MS2000
BasariStudios
Today, lol, thanks Guys!

rupa
Good luck. I'm enjoying mine, I put some euclids on it It's peanut butter jelly time!
BasariStudios
Thanks Rupa...i am trying to figure this thing out now...lol.
erstlaub
SuperNiCd wrote:
BugBrand wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

I picked one up earlier this week, and love it. Surprising amount of depth to it given the asking price, and seems solidly built. Immediately upgraded to the current firmware and I've had no problems.

Yeah, you can dial each step's pot to change the voltage out (in real time), but the pitch out CV on the melodic sequencers seem to be limited to quantized steps that correspond to V/O note values. I don't think there is a mode to remove that semitone quantization. Though you can change the gate lengths into "Slide" mode and then the transition between each step is continuous (think glide/pitch bend) rather than stepped. Would be nice if you could "unquantize" it, but not a deal breaker for me.

You can just use the velocity outputs for unquantized voltages.
BasariStudios
I am having so much fun with this, holy crap! And i was laughing at people
who used it thinking it was a toy...this thing with the Mod is incredible...
i can only Imagine what other seq. can do with Mods. I have 5 Oscilators
and i have enough modules to run almost all of them as a 3-4 Voice Synth,
having the BS with its 2 seq. and the drum seq. is like a 3 track thing.
titanium
i have been using BSP fot months now... overall pretty happy with it as either standalone or as a midi/cv. the thing i find that it is absolutely rubbish at, is time syncing to cubase and then trying to record a live session by changing sequences on the bsp itself. the timing constantly screws up. it seems this is worse with the latest firmware than the previous one. i downgraded, but still not brilliant.

does anyone have an idea how to record a live sesh with a stable clock sync from a pc?
Tom | KMR
BSP is the one. Nothing provides the same immediacy and integration as the BSP for that price point. Simple to use, powerful and really flexible.

Get one.
wayne greenhaw
My one & biggest problem is the pattern chaining cannot be saved ..really very frustrating
ImNotDedYet
Considering there was no chaining in the original firmware, that's a good step to just add chaining, no? wink
wayne greenhaw
The ability to save whole machine state & be able to come back to it later with everything as you left it without rearranging patterns again ..that would be wonderful ...had one once before & sold it ...thinking of trying one again
Radical Ans
All you folks pining for features should totally go make a racket at this thread:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85557.0
wayne greenhaw
Any word on an update that would resolve the problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2