Cyndustries still active?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Cyndustries still active?

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:21 am

Has anyone had any contact with Cynthia Webster recently? I've tried all the usual contact methods with no success. I need to get my Zeroscillator fixed.

Thighp.

NikatNOISEBUG
Common Wiggler

Post by NikatNOISEBUG » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:48 am

I sent Cynthia mi Buchla format Zeroscillator months ago. Radio silence since. i do hope she's alright...

Has anyone heard from or seen her recently??

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:38 am

is there still a yahoo group?

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 am

Maybe for the most part still in hiding. :hihi:

Aside from the occasional repair of the Buchla through zero's there really isn't much on her as of late. Maybe she finally just bowed out :despair:

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 am

So what's the deal with Cyndustries again? I seem to have gotten into modular after much of the drama was over.
From what I can piece together from browsing the Muffs, she wanted to make the Zeroscillator available in every format without realizing how much extra work it would be, got heavily backlogged with orders, pulled a George Broussard by claiming they'll be shipped "when they're done," and eventually sort of gave up without fulfilling much of the existing order log?

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm

It's a rather expensive module (both in ££££ and hp) to have sitting around doing nothing. Does anyone have the contact details of Mark(?) Barton, the guy that designed it? I'd really rather not to have to ship it to the USA for repair but my tech could fix it with the schematic I'm sure.

Thighp.

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:46 pm

ElectricNoises wrote:So what's the deal with Cyndustries again? I seem to have gotten into modular after much of the drama was over.
:popcorn:

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:47 am

I send my Zeroscillator back in may 2015 .
many E mails, nothing happened...
it was the second time that I send it back to Cynthia.
the first repair needs 9 month.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:23 am

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:27 am

I'm sure a fellow wiggler out there on your side of the pond can fix this and save you all the international shipping headaches etc.

I wouldn't dare send anything with others experiences and specially now that she appears to be so involved with something else. Life just happens I guess, but like I said I would just seek someone close by that can do the repairs for you. Work out a deal don't go by hours or what not. Most hobbyist/repair guys will cut you a rate specially if it's a circuit they may have never seen.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:18 pm

andrewF wrote:this is her new company -
http://cynthiawebster.wixsite.com/thiamedia
on that landing page:
Glendale Studio Now Closed
A Warm Thank You
to All Our Studio Clients
Over The Past Five Years
i wouldn't send anything to her for fixing. find a local tech. there has to be someone who can sort it out.??

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:03 pm

It's super funny how the Cyndustries website is still up, as if any or all of those new modules are still available in five exciting formats.

If the company has ceased to exist, then why leave up all that dreck to lure the uninformed?
We've moved fast, we need love; a part we offer is our only freedom

gryfon1
The Chaos Acres Home for Electrons

Post by gryfon1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:It's super funny how the Cyndustries website is still up, as if any or all of those new modules are still available in five exciting formats.

If the company has ceased to exist, then why leave up all that dreck to lure the uninformed?
It could be she outsourced rhe page setup and that it's on a free hosting service. In which case, doing nothing leaves it up...

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:31 pm

Analogue Haven has three modules listed as in stock...
http://analoghaven.com/cyndustries/

Last I remember was talk about setting up their own Pick&Place machine for modules like the FourTransients - quite a few years ago already now..

The problem is, of course, that it can be hard to fix something without schematics - especially something complex like the ZeroOscillator (also I remember seeing the PCB images and it seemed like it was laid out in the most ridiculous fashion - as though purely by using auto-routing)

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:It's super funny how the Cyndustries website is still up, as if any or all of those new modules are still available in five exciting formats.

ego maintenance

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 pm

gryfon1 wrote:

It could be she outsourced rhe page setup and that it's on a free hosting service. In which case, doing nothing leaves it up...
Exactly, but doing nothing to leave it up implies that it is all still valid. As I said, luring the uninformed. What she has to gain by this situation is beyond me. She should just come out and say that the company is finished. She should also admit that module owners are shit outta luck for getting repairs done. If you hold onto a module returned for repairs for more than a month, it's basically gone -- thrown into a slag heap and forgotten about.
We've moved fast, we need love; a part we offer is our only freedom

GhostofAlgernon
Common Wiggler

Re: Cyndustries still active?

Post by GhostofAlgernon » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Thighpaulsandra wrote:Has anyone had any contact with Cynthia Webster recently?
Thighp.
I'm not sure what's going on either, but I do maintenance on her site when requested [which seriously needs a redesign if it's going to stick around], so I may have an extra point or two of contact with her.
Let me see if I can get any info.
---------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Mine was one of the first (if not the first) Cynthia made in Euro format. The design and board layout might have been refined since then. Not exactly skiff friendly :-) The dynamic FM input doesn't work. It's a great oscillator and I miss being able to use it.

Thighp.

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Maybe check to see if it's a dodgy jack first - it might be that simple.

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Yeah checked that. It's not a dry joint anywhere obvious either.

Thighp.

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:54 pm

If its the old version then You could try replacing opamps on it. I had a zeroscillator with a bad tl072 opamp. Since it was socketed it was just a matter of popping out the ic and putting in a new one.

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 am

Thighpaulsandra wrote:Yeah checked that. It's not a dry joint anywhere obvious either.

Thighp.
Ah. But what about the normal linear FM input - does that work?

Sorry if these are obvious questions that you've already checked, but if that input still works it might just be the VCA/ multiplier or something even simpler like the manual offset voltage used to set the initial FM level.

Here's hoping!

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:10 am

I have a problem with the linear FM input on mine (modulator signal has effect even with the pot at zero position). Also random pitch fluctuations. Would also like to get mine repaired...

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am

solitaryzen wrote:...modulator signal has effect even with the pot at zero position)...
Maybe try trimming the ring modulator ...
ZO Test & Calibration Procedure 2.2.pdf wrote:10. TEST: RING MODULATION NULLING
Listen to the output labeled MOD OUT and place an External Audio VCO (sine) into the FM INDEX Input Only, (no dynamic FM inputs). Open up the FM INDEX Knob and you really shouldn't hear much unless you go over
to your studio amp and crank it way wayyy up in order to hear any whining.
Now unplug the External VCO from the FM INDEX Input Jack, and plug
it into the DYNAMIC AC Input Jack, (Gray banana on Modcan A format)... and repeat the above. If only ~one~ of these FM INDEX or DYNAMIC AC Input Jacks are used at any time, then you shouldn't hear any whining from the External Modulation VCOs - unless you crank the MOD OUT volume way, wayyyyy up, (careful, you could blow your speakers or your ears :)
11. CALIBRATION: Ring Mod Crosstalk Nulling (Advanced Procedure!)
(Advanced Users may eliminate balanced modulator crosstalk by adjusting trimpots VR202 & VR203 labeled X-NULL and Y-NULL respectively for either the DYNAMIC AC or FM INDEX Jack inputs to be tested, and located on the top CYN109-C Modulator/ Power Board. (Never plug signals into both LIN INDEX and either DYNAMIC FM Inputs simultaneously if testing the
four quadrant nulling, and be sure to listen only to the MOD OUT doing so).

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

Maybe my internal timeline was off but I found it really odd when watching IDOW that Cynthia was spotlighted as such an influential player in the modular building market. I was under the impression she was well shunned in the community by this point.

Return to “General Gear”