MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Pickit Thread: Updating Firmware & Burning ROMs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author The Pickit Thread: Updating Firmware & Burning ROMs
mt3
TODO
    * get thread promoted to sticky
    * updating for free at dealers
    * expanders
    * cheapest pickit
    * troubleshooting
    * new firmware/old firmware
    * what software version do I have?
    * where is old firmware located?

Quickstart Updating Firmware Guide
Auxren's Excellent Guide to Upgrading SHmk][
This applies to the Stillson Hammer mk 2, as well as all modules updated via PickKit.

Free Firmware Updates at Dealers
Need to verify this.
MoogMusic in Canada will update the firmware of your modules for free.
Same with XXXX in the US.
Same with XXXX in Europerack.

New Firmware/Old Firmware
Link to Firmware page.

Model - Ver - Date - Requires adapter?
HERTZ DONUT MK2 2.0 6/24/15 no
PISTON HONDA MK2 2.5.1 6/17/16 no
ZORLON CANNON MK2 2.0 6/22/15 no
MALGORITHM MK2 1.666 6/6/16 yes
STILLSON HAMMER MK2 1.666 7/27/16 no
TYME SEFARI MK2 ???
TYME SEFARI MK1 ???
BIONIC LESTER MK1 ???
MALGORITHM MK1 ???
PISTON HONDA MK1 ???

"These files will upgrade the functionality of your Harvestman modules. In order to use them, you must have a Microchip PicKit2 programmer (PicKit3 also OK), available from many electronics supply stores. You must also have a Windows computer, or a Mac (command line only). Older modules with a 2-row, 10-pin header also require the Piston Honda ROM Programmer Board to adapt the PicKit connector, available from your Harvestman dealer. Detailed instructions are provided in each download."
- http://www.theharvestman.org/firmware.php

Pickit 2 vs 3
Both Pickit 2 and Pickit 3 work?
Choose Pickit XX because...

Other module manufacturers which upgrade via pickit include:
    Grayscale Algorhythm
    Expert Sleepers Disting

Mac vs PC vs Lunix
Yes.

Usage
"Here's a hint if using PicKit 3 and newest software. (On Win7, and PH mk2 in my case) The instructions from Harvestman don't really correspond.
You need to specify the device- it is the long string of numbers and letters towards the bottom of the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software will not find your module.
I had to try to send the firmware several times before it worked- I'd hit Program, and in a split second it would say it was done. The time it finally worked, it only took a couple of seconds though."
- Zymos

"...at my neighbor the Pickit3 worked and the indicater-LED´s looked different, the Status LED was not red, as it was on my Computer, it was greenish.
So I went back to my computer and had an idea, why not try it with a usb-hub....
and the status LED was greenish..then it found the Pickit, the programming worked fine...
crazy...so if you have problems with your Pickit, use a usb hub....
easy...but hard to find solution..I may say"
- El_Miguel

"With a pickit3 tried the most recent version of that program, but it wouldn't run on my computer, so downloaded version 2.35 and worked okay. Had to use a USB hub and it took me a few attempts, but finally got it. The whole process probably took about 30 minutes."
- anon

"Pickit 2 with Pickit programmer, Windows 10, updated the SHmk2 with no fuss. Couldn't get the MPLAB to work so the pickit program worked just fine for me"
- Paranormal Patroler

"Malgorithm mkII (later revision with 6-pin header for programmer), PICkit2 (i got this one exactly) on OS X 10.10.5
PICkit 2 programmer for OS X
* dropped pk2cmd and PK2DeviceFile.dat files into /bin folder (come with the app)
* with everything connected (usb port - cable from PICkit - PICkit - ribbon cable - Malgo) powered up Malgo from modular PSU
* for testing purposes pushed 'Show connected PIC'
Quote:
Operation Succeeded
Searching for your PIC on board ...
No PICkit 2 found.

* while it looked like something was wrong, I chose .HEX file and pushed 'Write HEX' nonetheless - nothing happened
* changed pin orientation of the cable - nothing found still, but Malgo's LEDs 2,3 and 4 suddenly went green. after turning modular off and on, with cable disconnected Malgo was working fine
* connected programmer directly to Malgo, without ribbon cable - nothing again, maybe wrong orientation just like in the first case
* changed orientation of PICkit connection to Malgo - LEDs turned green again, succesful 'Show connected PIC', PIC model showing fine, write procedure went without problems."
- Endorfinity

Expanders
"Older modules with a 2-row, 10-pin header also require the Piston Honda ROM Programmer Board to adapt the PicKit connector, available from your Harvestman dealer."

hm1991x "piston expander"
6 waveform ROM slots for Piston Honda mk1 and mk2?

Firmware Programmer
hm1991x2 "firmware programmer"
Updates code and creates waveform ROMs.

Cheapest Pickit
New they are $50?
Used $20?
Cheapest in USA?
Canada?
UK?
Europerack?

"I used this Pickit 3 from Amazon UK, currently showing out of stock, but there are other very similar options:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZX6IKIA/ref=pe_385721_140927941_TE_3p_d p_1
I used a Mac and this software from Microchip and all was good:
http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide
You need the IPE section of the package only."
- baddcr

Cheap in the US:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231826593859?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPa geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- Zymos

Deutschland
https://www.amazon.de/Microchip-PICkit3-In-Circuit-Debugger-Programmer -PIC32/dp/B00OAQW7NS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418481279&sr=8-1&keywords =pickit+3

Digikey
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PG164130/PG164130-ND/2171224

Troubleshooting
If you see trouble, shoot it (that's when I reach for my revolver).

"The instructions from Harvestman don't really correspond.
You need to specify the device- it is the long string of numbers and letters towards the bottom of the readme included in the firmware download. Until you do that, the software will not find your module.
I had to try to send the firmware several times before it worked- I'd hit Program, and in a split second it would say it was done. The time it finally worked, it only took a couple of seconds though."
- Zymos (PH mk][) & Strontium (SH mk][)

Getting help
IME
Facebook
muffinwigglers
Auxren's Excellent Guide to Upgrading SHmk][ (Pickit 2 & 3 on Mac and Windows have been verified to work)

Can I blowup my module? And other fascinations with excitement
Unsure what would happen if the updater were turned to 11....

Bricking Your Module
Essentially, bricking your module means you have to ship it back to the manufacturer so they can wave their magic wand over it and resurrect it from the dead. But gues what? The Pickit programmer is the magic wand.
- M. Night Shalayaman

"There shouldn't be any concern with bricking. Unlike a firmware update with a bootloader, you are completely rewriting the firmware with the programmer so even if something went wrong, you can just erase and program it again and be back in business."
- auxren

Verified Pickits/OS Combinations
    * Pickit 3 on Windows 7, 10
    * PICKit 3 on Linux known to work, esp. with MPLab X
    * looks like all *nix OS are supported through MPLab magic (Mac, etc)
    * latest version that works with OSX 10.6 is 2.35 (Pickit 3?)

"Multiple people have reported that it works using MPLAB IPE on a Windows machine.
Your rack must be powered up to do this. There are ways to power the PCU from the PicKit, but I'd just power up your module.
If you put the programmer in incorrectly (wrong orientation), you shouldn't hurt anything."
- Auxren

MPLAB Minimum System Requirements
Windows Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP3/ Windows 7 Professional/ Windows 8 Professional
Linux Ubuntu® 9.10 or later
Unofficially, most distributions should work. Microchip employees have used it successfully with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, OpenSuse, and Fedora. Users of 64-bit distributions might need to install additional libraries.
Macintosh Mac OS® X 10.5 Intel or later
If using 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 or later, you will need to install Java 6.

Running Windows on a Mac
I've found playonmac.com to be damn successful any time I want to run Windows programs on my Mac.
Need to confirm this helps solve MPLAB issues.

Another alternative is WineBottler:
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org
Again, need to confirm this helps solve MPLAB issues.

Burning ROMs
Pistons Hondas mk I & ][ and Double Andore the Giant mk I.
For homebrewed waveformelessness.
The classic thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28084

Other Resources
Programming the Disting, with documentation on getting setup with Pickit:
https://github.com/squinkylabs/thisthing
and
https://github.com/squinkylabs/thisthing/blob/master/docs/flashing_dis ting.pdf

Watch Os (Expert Sleepers) upload code to the Disting:
https://youtu.be/rrYO4uv3RgQ?t=1h16m47s

USB Pic Programmer Suggestions
Ras Thavas
mt3 wrote:
Placeholder for now. Reminder for me to do this.

TODO
* pickit 2 vs 3
* mac vs pc vs lunix
* expanders
* get thread promoted to sticky
* cheapest pickit
* troubleshooting
* getting help
* can i blowup my module? and other fascinations with excitement
* new firmware/old firmware

Well alright, alright, alright!!! This all together in one place, up to date and comprehensive will be a huge asset to Harvestman users. Thanks!
mt3
Peppered the page. Gave the skeleton its flesh.
wsy
PICKit 3 with Linux: known to work, esp. with MPLab X.

- Bill
mt3
wsy wrote:

- Bill

Gracias.
Feel free to post relevant links/info in this thread and I'll edit the top post when I can.
wsy
mt3 wrote:
wsy wrote:

- Bill

Gracias.
Feel free to post relevant links/info in this thread and I'll edit the top post when I can.

In fact, PICKit 3 known to work with Linux and MPLab X - that's how you boot up a WSYnth FM Operator, which several people have now built!

- Bill
shootingtigers
Found out that the latest version that works with 10.6 is 2.35, I assume that will work with Pickit 3 but I'm not sure...

In Auxren's guide it shows Stillson plugged in and powered on during the pickit update, is that how it should be?
Zymos
Here's a hint if using PicKit 3 and newest software. (On Win7, and PH mk2 in my case) The instructions from Harvestman don't really correspond.

I had to try to send the firmware several times before it worked- I'd hit Program, and in a split second it would say it was done. The time it finally worked, it only took a couple of seconds though.
strontium
PicKit3 on Windows 10 - successfully updated my SH2 to latest firmware. Took a couple of attempts (hitting 'program') though before it finally updated it. Even though the software said it had been done after the first attempt the module was still showing as the older firmware.

All good now though Rockin' Banana!
Paranormal Patroler
strontium wrote:
PicKit3 on Windows 10 - successfully updated my SH2 to latest firmware. Took a couple of attempts (hitting 'program') though before it finally updated it. Even though the software said it had been done after the first attempt the module was still showing as the older firmware.

Is the procedure well documented ?
strontium
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
strontium wrote:

I just followed this exactly

http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml
Baddcr
This is cool! Good work smile

I used this Pickit 3 from Amazon UK, currently showing out of stock, but there are other very similar options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZX6IKIA/ref=pe_385721_140927941_TE_3p_d p_1

I used a Mac and this software from Microchip and all was good:

http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide

You need the IPE section of the package only.
Paranormal Patroler
strontium wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
strontium wrote:

I just followed this exactly

http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml

I assume the module.needs to be powered via the power bus when upgraded, right ?
Zymos
Yes.
There's actually a setting in the software to have devices powered through the PicKit, but it's off by default.
auxren
Can you mark down that my instructions also have worked for multiple people using MPLAB IPE on a Windows machine?
Paranormal Patroler
auxren wrote:
Can you mark down that my instructions also have worked for multiple people using MPLAB IPE on a Windows machine?

I'm waiting on the damn Pickit to arrive. Your instructions look fine!
Ptbarnum
Thanks for this resource, updated with pickit3 on a Mac, zero issues Rockin' Banana!
mt3
Ptbarnum wrote:
Thanks for this resource, updated with pickit3 on a Mac, zero issues Rockin' Banana!

What OS X? Newer Mac? "Vintage"?
gracias for info!
Ptbarnum
mt3 wrote:
Ptbarnum wrote:

What OS X? Newer Mac? "Vintage"?
gracias for info!

Sorry!
recent mbp, latest OSX
Zymos
Here's the one I bought, 21 bucks, free shipping from inside the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231826593859?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPa geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
rabbitfur
i can't get IPE to connect to my pickit 3. keep getting a connection failed notification. using mac OS X 10.10. anyone have any ideas?

cry
BlueWolfSe7en
My mac refused to connect. OS X 10.10.5. Looks like it an issue judging by the debugger forums I looked at. Used a neighbours PC in the end, took 2 min to update.
Baddcr' s Mac worked with an earlier OS X, strange?
rabbitfur
Yeah it is strange. It seems to me that if your pickit3s software is out of date it is impossible to update it without a pc. What a royal pita im still trying to figure out how to update mine as i live in puerto rico and have very few neighbors. I gotta find someone with a pc download all software there and try again. Sigh meh
Baddcr
I'm still on Mac OS X 9.5.x and my Pickit updated just fine, the whole update procedure was very straightforward and there were n problems at all.

Apple did remove Java after this OS X release point leaving it as an optional extra. It would seem (I might be wrong) that MPLAB uses the default Java or it's own version. If that's the case there's a possible source of incompatibility there. It may be worth installing the latest version of Java on your Mac before installing MPLAB, just a thought - no actual evidence or experience here smile
rabbitfur
Baddcr wrote:
I'm still on Mac OS X 9.5.x and my Pickit updated just fine, the whole update procedure was very straightforward and there were n problems at all.

Apple did remove Java after this OS X release point leaving it as an optional extra. It would seem (I might be wrong) that MPLAB uses the default Java or it's own version. If that's the case there's a possible source of incompatibility there. It may be worth installing the latest version of Java on your Mac before installing MPLAB, just a thought - no actual evidence or experience here smile

i've done this and tried it all. spent about 10+ hours of researching workarounds from my uneducated standpoint and can't find any way about it. I cannot get my mac to recognize the device, instead of a serial it just says pickit3 default where there should be a serial. this is a real nightmare and bummer i bought this thing and cannot get it to work even after all of this. why can't these modules just be updated like the mutable stuff, don't even have to take it out the case, plug one cable in and it's done. ugh what a waste of my time trying to do this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4