MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way RE calibration issues
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Silent Way RE calibration issues
raccoonboy
Anybody else have trouble calibrating their synths with Silent Way.

Hz/Volt only tracks about 2 octaves. Volt/Oct about 5-6 octaves however neither of them seem to play low notes, when I play low notes (have tried multiple controllers), the notes just repeat every 2-3 notes as I run up the keyboard, sometimes it will play a whole octave, but then repeat the octave, it's really weird.

I am using with ES-3

Cheers
raccoonboy
Also, emailed Os, but looks like he's out of office till Aug 8 which is too late for me as I'll be back to work and by the time I'm back my 30 trial will have expired :(
Skanker
Just grabbed an ES-3 myself and im too having issues with calibration.
Im presuming im set up correctly as it is calibrating to a point.

My attached image shows the closest i've got so far, any advice is most welcome?

Skanker
Ok folks, im getting close but im still not there yet. As you can see from my latest image the calibration is better than before but im also getting hung notes all the time which i dont understand.

My calibration is being attempted on the following setup:

Mac Pro 2008 running OSX10.6.8
Metric Halo 2882
Silent Way 2.5.4
ES-3
Roland System 100m

Any advice would be much appreciated?

BarneyRubble
I've had my ES-3 for about two weeks and the first week was hell entirely due to calibration issues.

In the end what I found was the ES-3 is really fussy about what it's listening to!
Try:
Sound source VCO - ensure it's unfiltered, no gate, and a sine wave
Input to the computer - ensure the sound level is high and if its coming into Silent way in stereo set the voice controller to only listen to one channel. Then go for the calibrate Hz/V.

If that works I think you'll find that the wave form is not that important ....it seem its more about a decent clean signal with no interference.

Sometimes the range/tune controls on the sound source seem to affect calibration. On a doepfer A-110-1 I have the tune fully CW and the range knob at +1

cheers
b
justin3am
Skanker wrote:
Ok folks, im getting close but im still not there yet. As you can see from my latest image the calibration is better than before but im also getting hung notes all the time which i dont understand.

Judging by your image it looks like you have the outputs cranked in the Voice controller plug-in (see the output tab). Since the output of the ES-3 is +/-10v, I often have to set the level for the V/Oct output to ~50%. Really, it depends on the range that the oscillator is expecting.

I've also noticed that the outputs of the ES-3 sometimes have a bit of DC offset, which can make envelopes act funky when the gate goes low. Try adding some positive or negative offset to the gate output and/or try lowering the level of the Gate output.
os
@Skanker specifically it looks like your synth is only responding to positive voltages, so you'll want to use the Offset in the Voice Controller's Output Matrix to bring the range up. Try 0.25 for both Offset and Pitch amount in the first row of the matrix.
Skanker
Many thanks for chiming in guys, its much appreciated.

I've attempted to recalibrate using your suggestions but im still having no luck sadly.

@OS, i adjusted the offset in the first row to 0.25 as you suggested but as the pitch is already on max i couldn't raise it further. i recalibrated with the pitch setting on its original position and again by reducing the value by 0.25 and i had no luck in improving my previous attempts

I've attached a screen shot showing the outputs tab from my most successful calibration so far.

Any advice would be most welcome?

Skanker
Here are a couple more screen shots showing my most recent attempt

Skanker
More shots showing my soundcard config.

You can see ADAT ch1 is quieter than the other channels

Set both Offset and Pitch to 0.25

That should do the trick.
Skanker
Ok guys, i've recalibrated with both offset & pitch set at 0.25 and this is what i got.

Any opinions would be most welcome?

os
A video of the calibration graph being created, with the sound heard during that process, would be helpful.
Skanker
Here you go OS.

This first clip is with both offset and pitch set to 0.25 as you suggested

ES3 Clip1[/video]
Skanker
And this second clips is calibrated at factory settings

ES3 clip2
Skanker
If you compare the graphs on the video clips to the graphs on my previous attempts you'l notice im getting different results each time without even touching the set up connections

Im obviously doing something wrong but i have no idea what?
os
Why do we not hear the synth being calibrated?
Skanker
I have no idea mate, I was hoping you could advise on that.
I can trigger the synth via my midi keyboard but the actual calibration plays just the one note as the video shows
os
I don't even hear one note in one of the videos.

I suggest replacing the Voice Controller with SW DC. Get things set up such that you can hear the synth constantly playing, and control the pitch via the 'Out' knob(s) in SW DC. Then we'll know you have the cabling right and we can proceed from there.
Skanker
os wrote:
I don't even hear one note in one of the videos.

I suggest replacing the Voice Controller with SW DC. Get things set up such that you can hear the synth constantly playing, and control the pitch via the 'Out' knob(s) in SW DC. Then we'll know you have the cabling right and we can proceed from there.

Sorry for the late reply mate, im working 7 days a week at the moment.

I'll do as you suggest but to clarify i can already do this with SW Voice Controller installed.

I can play notes on midi keyboard and can adjust the pitch using offset while notes are playing in Logic. This is whats got me confused as i appear to have it set up correctly but it will not calibrate for some reason.

I've quickly set up DC just before i leave for work and i see a constant signal being sent from my ADAT output but i only hear one note when i press play in Logic. I can however adjust the pitch of that note using SW DC 'output' control

If my comments here give you some thought please share as this is very annoying!

Many thanks
os
But in your videos I didn't hear any notes.

If it's a modular system you're using, you should be using just the VCO, so the sound should be constant - no VCA or anything in the chain.
Skanker
os wrote:
But in your videos I didn't hear any notes.

If it's a modular system you're using, you should be using just the VCO, so the sound should be constant - no VCA or anything in the chain.

School boy error corrected, thanks for pointing that out mate.

Im now getting a constant tone as you say and it is now calibrating much better but still not fully across the keyboard.

Please see the following clip:

os
OK - now you can widen the pitch range in the output matrix before calibration.
Skanker
os wrote:

Many thanks. nailed it!

I plan to grab an ES-5 later this month so im hoping its straight forward to set up. will get reading just incase.
Skanker
os wrote:

Hi Os

Back again regarding this hoping i can finally get it sorted. I had it working briefly as per my last post but it very quickly went south and i lost patience with it. I've only just picked it back up yesterday as i want to implement it into my setup so giving it another pop.

I spent all day yesterday and most of this morning on it and eventually got it working as shown in the attachment. Not perfect but better than nothing. I then turned everything off and back on and again calibrated it once more with the exact same settings and this time it failed also shown in the attachment.

The fact i'm using the same set up and only getting a positive result now and then does this suggest an issue other than operator error?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2