MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I have trouble with precision.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I have trouble with precision.
russma
I've now built two of my own DIY cabinets for 5U modules. The height of the first one was perfect at one end and too tall (slightly) at the other end.

I just finished the second one. This one is slightly too tall at both ends.

Don't ask me to perform your vasectomy, is what I'm saying.

Dead Banana
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I'd get a ruler and maybe an eraser.
sduck
There's some old adage that goes "measure twice, cut once". Another one that's probably applicable is that practice makes perfect.

Don't worry too much about it, none of my homemade cabinets are perfect - they've got all kinds of little things that don't quite line up.

Note that one is much deeper than the others - or rather 2 of them are much shallower than the 3rd one - (I didn't really figure out how deep I needed these things to be until I got around to making the 3rd cabinet)

And I have to put that thicker one in the middle actually or the front of the whole thing looks weird.
JohnLRice
Buy non-warped wood and buy one of these too: thumbs up

Only about $120 without stand:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?stor eId=10051&productId=100058430&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=1000584 30&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100058430&loc StoreNum=4720&marketID=44
megaohm
idiotboy wrote:
The height of the first one was perfect at one end and too tall (slightly) at the other end.

I just finished the second one. This one is slightly too tall at both ends.

Shim up your mounting rails to compensate.
If they were too short you'd have a worse problem.
russma
Yeah, I'm going to shim the rails. It's only off by less than 1/4".

For the top, bottom and sides, I've been using the pre-fab Rubbermaid shelves, so I don't think warping is the problem, although I didn't study them carefully.

But, I have been making the critical side-cuts without the benefit of a table saw. I've just been doing it slowly freehand with a circular saw. I measure afterwards and it looks ok, so then I clamp down the sides while I screw in the angle brackets and nail in the rails. Finished, I take it into the studio and place a MOTM-950 into it and, doh!, just shy.

So, yeah, table saw. And maybe a better t-square. Or a nail gun. Yeah...nail gun..... love

Of course, I was only planning to buld one more cabinet, but, you've seen how my plans work out...help

Guinness ftw!
russma
So far, modules going into this new cabinet will be:

Dotcom
Q960
Q961
Q962
Q963
MOTM-650
MOTM-390

The Dotcom stuff should ship tomorrow.

w00t
mmm
JohnLRice wrote:
Buy non-warped wood and buy one of these too: thumbs up

Only about $120 without stand:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?stor eId=10051&productId=100058430&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=1000584 30&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100058430&loc StoreNum=4720&marketID=44

I have a spare stand. I'm on my third one. OK for hobby use but, the bearings burn up if you use it daily.

Mattson Mini Modular
russma
..wonder if they have that one at Harbor-Freight Tools?

lol
russma
BTW, George, LOVE that case you made for Niall.

Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
idiotboy wrote:
..wonder if they have that one at Harbor-Freight Tools?

lol

Home Depot or Lowes. But, I just saw (no pun intended!) this place that sells a refurbished saw WITH stand for only $90! woah I don't know anything about the company though:
http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrbts12s.html?ref=frooglezrbts12s
JohnLRice
mmm wrote:

I have a spare stand. I'm on my third one. OK for hobby use but, the bearings burn up if you use it daily.

Mattson Mini Modular

Yeah, I've only used my a few times in the several years I've owned it and it has worked fine. Maybe I'll buy your spare stand off of you? hyper
Cat-A-Tonic
I live in Japan. No space for a table saw.
A wood plane rules for that sort of thing.
synthetic
The first time I built a rack that didn't square, I learned the secret is to build the rails first. Make a square using the rails and some blank panels (either 19" or MOTM or whatever). Then build around that.

No room for a table saw in my apartment either. Just hand tools for me.
JohnLRice
Another option it if there is a large hardware store near by (like Home Depot or Lowes etc) you can go there with your plans, try to pick out wood that is already the right size in one dimention and then have the employees at the store do the other cuts for you. Usually the first few cuts are free and then additional ones aren't much.

I've built projects before where I got all the wood cut to size at Home Depot and then just brought it home and asembled it! thumbs up
synthetic
I have a metal straightedge that I clamp to the wood I'm cutting, then I rip it using a circular saw.

Pics of my cabinet build here if anyone's interested:

http://www.jefflaity.com/gallery/motmcabinet
Luka
i made my cabinets too thin too steve

i am having troubles fitting my power supplies in confused

DonaldCrunk
Luka wrote:

*snip*

perhaps you have answered this elsewhere, but

that wood grain is really really beautiful. reminds me of the interior furnishings of a cabin i used to stay at in the smoke mountains... what species is it?

the cabinets themselves look great too, great job
doctorvague
synthetic wrote:
I have a metal straightedge that I clamp to the wood I'm cutting, then I rip it using a circular saw.

Pics of my cabinet build here if anyone's interested:

http://www.jefflaity.com/gallery/motmcabinet

That walnut cab is really pretty!
doctorvague
DonaldCrunk wrote:
Luka wrote:

*snip*

perhaps you have answered this elsewhere, but

that wood grain is really really beautiful. reminds me of the interior furnishings of a cabin i used to stay at in the smoke mountains... what species is it?

the cabinets themselves look great too, great job

I'm going to guess that it's hickory.
emdot_ambient
No kidding, my wife asked for this for christmas a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09-10-Inch-Worksite-Gravity-Rise/dp/B 000S5S5CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1273524399&sr=8-2

Who was I to say no?

I'm not sure how they measure up against the Ryobi but if my now defunct Ryobi weed whacker was any indication...probably not quite as high a quality as the Bosch (or nearly as pricey--I don't remember paying anywhere close to the amazon.com prices now!). hihi

...anyway, a good, accurately adjusted table saw is your bestest buddy ever. I absolutely cannot cut straight with a circular saw or a jig saw (even the one I have with a laser guide). But this table saw...it's like butter.
russma
Well....I do like buttah! That Bosch looks the business!

Guinness ftw!

Meanwhile, I shimmed the rails today. I found a length of 1/4" x 3/4" trim stock at Home Depot which fit perfectly under the original 1/2" x 3/4" rails.

Whacked my index finger with a hammer in the process, but I'll probably live to through it.

ambulance

Now I need to get some standoffs and screws to attach the STG distro board to the cabinet. Then I'll wire up the MOTM power supply to the distro board, and begin the eternal wait until Friday when UPS delivers a big box from Arrick Robotics.

w00t
rezzn8r
synthetic wrote:
Make a square using the rails and some blank panels (either 19" or MOTM or whatever). Then build around that.

This is what I did. lol
acorkos
i used an inexpensive (<$100) craftsman table saw to make my cabinets. home depot and lowes sells poplar boards 7" or so wide (7 1/4", i think), and i used oak for the rails (mounting modules with wood screws)...i spent one saturday morning with the wood, my saw, a drill, some screws and some red oak stain. it's better to be off by a little too tall/wide rather than too short/narrow. and i used some thin 1/8" or so plywood paneling for the back panels.
[/img]
russma
Tidy complement of pedals and cables there too! Nice.

SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2