MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-1 / Launchpad question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FH-1 / Launchpad question
vlk
Hi

I might be missing obvious info but can't find any written documentation of what happens when you plug a launchpad mini into an fh-1. From the video it seems that the first 4 outputs are each a 16 step trigger sequencer. The other 4 outputs do nothing. Is this correct? Am I missing anything? Is there a way that I could do more with the 4 remaining outs or is there more functionality to this set up that isnt in the video?

I have an fh-1 and would just like a better understanding of what is possible before buying a LP.

Thanks!!
os
Right now it's four 16 step sequences or eight 8 step sequences.

The LP integration is a bit of a work in progress, really.
vlk
Ok. Thanks for the information, Os.
toneburst
With which firmware version did Launchpad Mini support appear?

I've just bought an FH-1, and tried it with my LP Mini, and it doesn't appear to drop into trigger sequencer mode when I plug it in. The first two outputs appear to act as pitch CV and gate, which I assume is just the default behaviour for any USB controller.

a|x
os
I believe it was there from the start.

Does it do the 16 LED flash on connection?
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html#special

As I recall, it's possible to 'rename' the LP, so they have distinct MIDI names if you're using more than one at once. If you've done this, that would be a reason the FH-1 might not see it. What does the LP call itself when connected to a computer?
toneburst
Odd.

The FH-1 doesn't do the 16 LED flash thing.

Connected to my MacBook Pro, the Launchpad is reported by the System Information application as 'Launchpad Mini'.

Just to be clear, I should just be able to plug the LP Mini in, and the FH-1 will just drop into Launchpad Mini sequencer mode?

a|x
toneburst
Turns out the 'Disable device-specific behaviour' option was set true, for some reason. I unset it, and now the LP Mini works as it should! This one feature makes the whole thing worth it, for me!!

According to the manual, Disable device-specific behaviour should default to 0. I have my suspicions that my FH-1, which was sold as new, has actually been used.

a|x
os
Curious, but I'm glad you figured it out.

Would you mind sharing where you bought it?
toneburst
I wonder if there are any plans to continue developing the Launchpad Mini integration. I'd love to know if there are future plans to add more features. It works really well as-is, but equally it could be even better.

Think I'll start another thread with some suggestions for features that would be great to see in a future update.

a|x
os
I'd like to, but it's not high priority at the moment.

Feature suggestions are always welcome.
toneburst
Thanks for the info, os.
I'll just enjoy playing with it as-is, for the moment.

a|x
whitmo
Been enjoying the fh-1 (great stuff) and was wondering if anyone is doing anything with the open firmware for the launchpad pro?

It looks pretty promising, but I've hit a snag. I've been trying to get the fh-1 to talk to the a variant of the

The openfirmware output the following identifiers for devices:
Quote:

(lppro) jato-4:lppro whit$ sendmidi list
Launchpad Open Standalone Port
Launchpad Open MIDI Port

I'm not seeing any midi from the fw sequencer making it to the fh-1 and I'm curious how the fh-1 handles multiple ports. I can confirm midi is coming from the second port. Is there a way I can tell the fh-1 to listen to it?

I'm going to trying changing port numbers in the firmware and see what that does, but figured there might be an easy way to do this that I was overlooking.

cheers!

-w
os
The FH-1 will I believe only listen to one port, but will listen to all the 'cables' within that port.

So I guess it depends whether the LP is actually exposing multiple ports, or multiple cables within a port (the iConnectMIDI stuff, for example, does the latter, and works fine with the FH-1).
whitmo
thanks for the reply os (and the fh-1)!

I'm guessing it's opening multiple ports because the fh-1 shows no data. I think the the firmware repurposes the special port the lppro has for Live as a new separate entity.

would you imagine the fh-1 would pick a port, or just not work at all?

would scripting the ability to force one port or another be a reasonable firmware feature request?
os
I think I need to get hold of a Launchpad Pro - debugging this by guesswork is going to take a while.
whitmo
yeah no doubt on guesswork.

did a bit more experimenting.

swapped usbmidi here and below for USBSTANDALONE midi. Confirm in live that it switched ports then tried booting up the fh-1 (fw 1.6) w/ the new lppro firmware. No reaction from the fh-1.
os
Please try the attached beta firmware for the FH-1. Works for me with the LP Pro open source code.

[edit] Removed. The correct place for the fix was actually in the open source firmware, which Dave has updated now.
Vullan
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just picked up a launchpad mini and when I connect it to my FH-1, it does the whole rainbow thing and an L appears in the bottom of the LPmini, which then goes out after about a second.

Pressing any of the buttons on the LPmini seems to send midi information (as if it were a midi keyboard) but it doesn't go to the sequencer mode... I've tried resetting it (H-8) and toggling on and off device specific behavior (C-5).

Any idea what else I could try to get it working?
os
Check the hardware ID. From the LP manual:

Quote:

In applications where more than one Launchpad is being used, it may be desirable to assign each Launchpad a different ID. This will ensure that each Launchpad can be uniquely recognised by the computer every time it is connected, so that MIDI instructions can be directed to the appropriate unit.
Vullan
os wrote:
Check the hardware ID. From the LP manual:

Quote:

In applications where more than one Launchpad is being used, it may be desirable to assign each Launchpad a different ID. This will ensure that each Launchpad can be uniquely recognised by the computer every time it is connected, so that MIDI instructions can be directed to the appropriate unit.

Cool- I changed it to full power mode (The L meant "low power" it seems) and set it to ID 1. Still no sequencer though, same MIDI behavior as earlier.
Should it be set to something specific?
(Bootloader & FW are both version 32, if it helps)
os
There is no version 32. Perhaps it would be worth putting v2.1 on it just to be sure?
Vullan
os wrote:
There is no version 32. Perhaps it would be worth putting v2.1 on it just to be sure?

I don't know what to say: when I query the bootloader and FW it responds with either "Bootloader ◆ 32" or "Firmware ◆ 32"

And Novation doesn't seem to offer any alternate firmwares, not even any betas available, nor can I find historical FWs seriously, i just don't get it.

I believe the FH-1 is on the latest FW revision as well (I updated it about 4 months ago to the latest)

The sequencer behavior hasn't become turned off by default or anything, has it?
os
I was talking about the FH-1 firmware. Is it 2.1?
Vullan
Yes, and just to make sure, I just reinstalled 2.1- no difference.
os
Apologies - it seems device specific behaviours were completely broken at some point.

Just released 2.2 which should fix that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2