MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

people who do noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author people who do noise
sandyb
i just got hold of this documentary about noise music in portland, oregon. it's really interesting, has some great music and interviews in it, and is well worth picking up imho.
it includes interviews/performances by smegma, daniel menche, pulse emitter, god and a whole load of other people.
there are details and a trailer here:
http://www.peoplewhodonoise.com/


sandy
eyehue
looking forward to watching that!
Bricks
woah. thanks for putting this on my radar!

AND its on netflix!
Roycie Roller
Thanks for the link!
There are so many great scenes & festivals going on around the world, i'd love to travel round checking them out.
Has anyone been to the No-Fun Fest or Nightmare Before Christmas?

sandy, Subcurrent @ glasgow looks cool.
Off topic, but do you know of Richard Youngs? Not really noisy, but one of my favourite musicians of all time, he lives near Glasgow.
edit: oops, for some reason i thought Glasgow was in Ireland.
shamann
Roycie Roller wrote:
Has anyone been to the No-Fun Fest


I think its organizer might be a member here.
sandyb
Roycie Roller wrote:

sandy, Subcurrent @ glasgow looks cool.
Off topic, but do you know of Richard Youngs? Not really noisy, but one of my favourite musicians of all time, he lives near Glasgow.
edit: oops, for some reason i thought Glasgow was in Ireland.


lol - no worries Roycie - i am Scottish (although not Glasgow. Aberdeen - it's like Glasgow but colder cry) so you weren't too far out!
dougcl
Well what do you know? I live in some kind of noise capitol. I guess that explains all the racket from the neighbor's.

For those of you who haven't seen this, there is also:

http://www.noisypeople.com/
surachai
Awesome, threw it in my queue! Thanks for the heads up, I'm really interested to see how they approach such a open subject.
felix
I saw it (totally forgot to post in this thread) and liked it for the most part.

I think what I liked most is that the scene seemed very supportive and "burgeoning". The DIY approach that several of the performers had was very cool. I wish there was somewhere in the south bay where I could see shows along these lines. I hate driving up to SF.

I totally forgot his name now, but the guy at the end was probably my favorite, awesome drones.
sandyb
felix wrote:
I saw it (totally forgot to post in this thread) and liked it for the most part.

I think what I liked most is that the scene seemed very supportive and "burgeoning". The DIY approach that several of the performers had was very cool. I wish there was somewhere in the south bay where I could see shows along these lines. I hate driving up to SF.

I totally forgot his name now, but the guy at the end was probably my favorite, awesome drones.


iirc the last person playing was Daniel Menche
felix
Ah yes, that sounds like who I'm thinking of.
wetterberg
gah. Netflix is racist. "Americans only"... pffft.

hmmm 23usd off filmbaby... but then it'll get chomped up in customs... grr.
dougcl
Just watched this. That drone at the end was nice, and the film of the birds was wonderful with it. As an aside, the birds are swifts that fly into a big chimney every night for a week or so annually in NW Portland. Watching this film, at one point it occurred to me that noise is the new hardcore, and then a few seconds later it was brought up in one of the interviews. Suddenly I'm concerned that we are all going to be subjected to a lot of bad Noise (oh god it's capitalized) for a long, long time. I was kind of tuned off by the angst ridden screaming and what amounted to (somewhat embarrassingly) a recurrent simulated gear fucking scenario on stage. Some of these guys really need to get laid! (ie. I'm getting old.) I saw Smegma back in 88 or so, I think they were opening for the Butthole Surfers. They were great, and their interviews in this film were entertaining. Several of the performers in this film were great, and I have to figure out a way to make it to some of these shows. Again, anyone who enjoyed this film should also watch "Noisy People"
Pulse Emitter
dougcl wrote:
Several of the performers in this film were great, and I have to figure out a way to make it to some of these shows.


here are two places where most Portland and Pacific NW noise type shows will be posted:

http://chondriticsound.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
http://www.myspace.com/pdxnoise

say hello if you're at a show sometime!
kvnvk
dougcl wrote:
Suddenly I'm concerned that we are all going to be subjected to a lot of bad Noise (oh god it's capitalized) for a long, long time.


imo it's already been occurring for several years.
richard
dougcl wrote:
JSome of these guys really need to get laid!


applause

sorry, but its just so true'

R
DGTom
kvnvk wrote:
dougcl wrote:
Suddenly I'm concerned that we are all going to be subjected to a lot of bad Noise (oh god it's capitalized) for a long, long time.


imo it's already been occurring for several years.


& the real problem is... how does one make an objective / subjective decision about what is good Noise & what is bad Noise hmmm.....

I used to do some tape loop / drone / open mic stuff in the basement of a goth club... the owner loved it, I was very strict that there was NO moderation or rules placed on who or what happened with the mic over the course of the evening... at some point point I was playing processed tapes of Dawsons Creek over the top of a guy reciting terrible, terrible angst ridden teenage poetry & packed it in after that... decided that utilitarian, functional, visceral club music was the new avant garde & enjoyable to listen to / dance to in a communal setting.
dougcl
I am just complaining about the canonizing of farts. So they become Farts, and then your farts are not really Farts. Then the cock wagging starts about who has the biggest capital F in their Farts. Then you have Kiss all over again.
DGTom
thumbs up
felix
dougcl wrote:
I am just complaining about the canonizing of farts. So they become Farts, and then your farts are not really Farts. Then the cock wagging starts about who has the biggest capital F in their Farts. Then you have Kiss all over again.

Hahaha!!!! That made my evening.
antennafarm
DGTom wrote:

& the real problem is... how does one make an objective / subjective decision about what is good Noise & what is bad Noise hmmm.....


subjective is easy as it gets: what noise do you like? what are your personal criteria? could be as simple as "gee i really like it when noiseband #535 does this squircky squalky thing." could be as specific as who gets the most minimalist or maximalist. etc.

objective, a set of criteria must be set... to which are subjectively appeals are made. wink
berfmurret
just finished watching this documentary. utterly inspirational.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group