MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant Snare DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Mutant Snare DIY
batch
Just completed a DIY build of Mutant Snare and wanted to report that everything went great and it's passed all tests so far. Have to say a big thanks to Hex for providing the PCBs with SMDs soldered. This made it by far the fastest build of the Mutant series (I have done all of them) and given the sheer number, probably too difficult for me. However, it does mean there are some fiddly bits.

One thing to note, I think the Mouser project is missing a TL074. You need 2 and there is only 1 in the project (or I managed to mess the order up). Fortunately I had a spare lying around so used that.

Thanks again Hex!

Time to go make some beats.
ronski
just build it as well, really digging it. Build was really quick with all the smd already done.
Grom
anyone have the problem that the shell is like WAY louder than the snappy. also my mix control is like all shell till the last 5% of my pot which goes into snappy.

looks like some troubleshooting is in my future :(
Thermospore
Please tell me it won't calibrate correctly with all the jumpers out? Last night I couldn't get it to calibrate properly (although I did have a lot of fun patching with it). Just realized I forgot to put the jumpers in! I'll have to try again when I get home hihi

Grom wrote:
anyone have the problem that the shell is like WAY louder than the snappy. also my mix control is like all shell till the last 5% of my pot which goes into snappy.

maybe your issue lies in the jumpers/calibration as well? Since most of the soldering is petty straightforward, as all that SMD is already done. Maybe check if you put the right transistors in the right place too
ronski
How did you get on with your issues? Problems solved? smile

Thermospore wrote:
Please tell me it won't calibrate correctly with all the jumpers out? Last night I couldn't get it to calibrate properly (although I did have a lot of fun patching with it). Just realized I forgot to put the jumpers in! I'll have to try again when I get home hihi

Grom wrote:

maybe your issue lies in the jumpers/calibration as well? Since most of the soldering is petty straightforward, as all that SMD is already done. Maybe check if you put the right transistors in the right place too
Dappyscroo
I completed the build a short while ago, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to sound right.

1) The snappy doesn't seem to have any attack to it, so it just introduces a hiss into the sound.

2) The decay adjust doesn't seem to have any effect, either to the sound produced, or to the oscilloscope display when I have it hooked up to the decay test point.

Without the schematic, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about troubleshooting what's wrong. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
bradmi
I finished building a Hexinverter Mutant Snare kit yesterday, and while the module mostly works as expected, the oscillator for the Shell tone/pitch is making a sort of constant squelchy noise. I've no idea where to start to diagnose. I already checked for bad joints, missing joints, bridged joints and I think those are all good. The only other think I could think of is maybe I fried a capacitor or transistor by applying too much heat, but again I don't know how I would determine this. Fortunately there are only two of each of those.

I went through the calibration routine already and that went fine. The calibration is for the level, decay, and bleed of the noise oscillator, which seemed to totally work. It's the pitched oscillator that's giving me trouble and there is no calibration for that.

I'm not really electronics-saavy, and while I have a multi-meter, I have no idea what I would check for with it, especially without a schematic. Any advice for an electronics newb?
ronski
Would be good to show your boards here, so that we could have a look at your soldering.
canut
Mine is not working properly too. The shell part is ok, it's the snappy part which is silent.

- I've calibrated the noise to 1V RMS
- I can see a digital noise signal if I plug an oscilloscope on the test point
- The decay calibration has aboslutely no effect. I hear no noise at all.
- I've plugged my oscilloscope on the decay test point and I can see an envelope when I trigg the module.

I'm a bit lost on where to search confused any idea ?
ronski
canut wrote:
Mine is not working properly too. The shell part is ok, it's the snappy part which is silent.

- I've calibrated the noise to 1V RMS
- I can see a digital noise signal if I plug an oscilloscope on the test point
- The decay calibration has aboslutely no effect. I hear no noise at all.
- I've plugged my oscilloscope on the decay test point and I can see an envelope when I trigg the module.

I'm a bit lost on where to search confused any idea ?

Can you share some photo's of your PCB
canut
Thanks for the answer, sorry I missed it as I was not watching this thread (Now I am). I still have the same problem, I'm currently trying to follow the "noise" path as it's this part which I'm not earing.

Here are some pictures.

rossgrady
canut wrote:
Thanks for the answer, sorry I missed it as I was not watching this thread (Now I am). I still have the same problem, I'm currently trying to follow the "noise" path as it's this part which I'm not earing.

Huh. It would never have occurred to me to solder those test points together. I didn't do that to mine & it seems to work fine. Is that in some instructions somewhere? (I couldn't find any instructions so I just followed the BOM) . . .
canut
I'm still debugging my mutant snare. I noticed something strange :
- on pin 15 of V2164, I have no noise signal.
- but if I remove the V2164, the noise is here on pin 15.

So it may be a faulty V2164 (V-, V+, ground and modes are ok).

While I'm ordering a new one, any idea where I should probe the decay on 2164 ? I can't probe it on any pin.
strathTerrace
Greetings All,

I just completed a build of the DIY mutant snare. This is the version requires all SMD soldering as well as through hole.

The module powers up and responds to triggers. However, during calibration, after using noise adjust to 1 V RMS, I noticed that the noise is always present when snappy is at max and mix is all the way cw. The filter will cut it off around 1/2 turn. The decay adjust has no effect on noise or decay of the triggered oscillators. If I turn the snappy volume down, I can just back it off with the bleed adjust, but at full volume thee is no discernible reduction in noise.

Shell tone and pitch sound great, drive is driving, lo-pass hi-pass working, filter cut off and cv seem to work, but the noise won't trigger and decay is not working. Basically I have an all-the-time hissing short decay drum.

Any ideas where I went wrong? Not sure how to troubleshoot this thing. This is my first post (OMG!) so the forum-bot won't let me post pics of build. Thanks for any tips in advance.
strathTerrace
blank post to get to two messages so I can post pics of my build.
strathTerrace

strathTerrace
Hi All,

I fixed it! It was simple but not obvious. I had transposed the orientation two transistors (R32 & R100). Whoops. Careful evaluation of the diagram in the assembly manual and compared to my board was the key. Persistence pays off! So, a good lesson in paying attention to placement and orientation of components. After I corrected the parts placement, calibration was a cinch and it sound great.

Cheers
barkley84
strathTerrace wrote:
I had transposed the orientation two transistors (R32 & R100)

I have the same issue. Shell is working, but the snappy not.
During decay adjust calibration , I can hear a noise - but only if I turn power on. The noise goes away after some time. When i’m sending a trigger there is no effect.

You said, you have transposed the orientation of transistors R32 and R100?
These pads are for resistors. Even if you mean resistors it makes no sense because they have the same value (30k) and the orientation doesn‘t matter.

Maybe you can explain your way a bit clearer?

cheers!
canut
Thanks @strathTerrace !!!
I did the same mistake but i couldn't spot it !!!

@barkley84 R32 and R100 should be horizontal, not vertical -> so wrong pins connected.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1