MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant Snare DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Mutant Snare DIY
Armstrb
Just completed a DIY build of Mutant Snare and wanted to report that everything went great and it's passed all tests so far. Have to say a big thanks to Hex for providing the PCBs with SMDs soldered. This made it by far the fastest build of the Mutant series (I have done all of them) and given the sheer number, probably too difficult for me. However, it does mean there are some fiddly bits.

One thing to note, I think the Mouser project is missing a TL074. You need 2 and there is only 1 in the project (or I managed to mess the order up). Fortunately I had a spare lying around so used that.

Thanks again Hex!

Time to go make some beats.
ronski
just build it as well, really digging it. Build was really quick with all the smd already done.
Grom
anyone have the problem that the shell is like WAY louder than the snappy. also my mix control is like all shell till the last 5% of my pot which goes into snappy.

looks like some troubleshooting is in my future :(
Thermospore
Please tell me it won't calibrate correctly with all the jumpers out? Last night I couldn't get it to calibrate properly (although I did have a lot of fun patching with it). Just realized I forgot to put the jumpers in! I'll have to try again when I get home hihi

Grom wrote:
anyone have the problem that the shell is like WAY louder than the snappy. also my mix control is like all shell till the last 5% of my pot which goes into snappy.

maybe your issue lies in the jumpers/calibration as well? Since most of the soldering is petty straightforward, as all that SMD is already done. Maybe check if you put the right transistors in the right place too
ronski
How did you get on with your issues? Problems solved? smile

Thermospore wrote:
Please tell me it won't calibrate correctly with all the jumpers out? Last night I couldn't get it to calibrate properly (although I did have a lot of fun patching with it). Just realized I forgot to put the jumpers in! I'll have to try again when I get home hihi

Grom wrote:

maybe your issue lies in the jumpers/calibration as well? Since most of the soldering is petty straightforward, as all that SMD is already done. Maybe check if you put the right transistors in the right place too
Dappyscroo
I completed the build a short while ago, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to sound right.

1) The snappy doesn't seem to have any attack to it, so it just introduces a hiss into the sound.

2) The decay adjust doesn't seem to have any effect, either to the sound produced, or to the oscilloscope display when I have it hooked up to the decay test point.

Without the schematic, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about troubleshooting what's wrong. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
bradmi
I finished building a Hexinverter Mutant Snare kit yesterday, and while the module mostly works as expected, the oscillator for the Shell tone/pitch is making a sort of constant squelchy noise. I've no idea where to start to diagnose. I already checked for bad joints, missing joints, bridged joints and I think those are all good. The only other think I could think of is maybe I fried a capacitor or transistor by applying too much heat, but again I don't know how I would determine this. Fortunately there are only two of each of those.

I went through the calibration routine already and that went fine. The calibration is for the level, decay, and bleed of the noise oscillator, which seemed to totally work. It's the pitched oscillator that's giving me trouble and there is no calibration for that.

I'm not really electronics-saavy, and while I have a multi-meter, I have no idea what I would check for with it, especially without a schematic. Any advice for an electronics newb?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1