MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NLC drum modules (and 32:1)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author NLC drum modules (and 32:1)
andrewF
Managed to come up with a few drum modules recently and the 32:1 sequential switch.

descriptions and pix ripped from my blogpage
BOMs & build info at the bottom of this page

bong0
The bong0 is a twin-T based drum module with a LED acting as a nonlinear resistor to give it some interesting characteristics.
The trigger input acts as a normal input to get your drum sound. The input marked ‘in’ can also be used, or you can jam a CV in there, or a gate or audio. You can just use the ‘in’ input without anything into the trigger.

Bong0 can also be used for basslines, drones and as a crude but useful VCO. It has about 20 passive components which are 0805 smd and 1 thru-hole TL072, meaning it is a good circuit for learning to solder smd parts and delivers way more fun than such a simple module should.

BadumTisss is a snare/hi-hat module.

The core sound of the circuit comes from the ring mod. Usually it will process the noise source and the VCO, but feel free to plug in the output from another VCO and get some nice sounds. You can use CV to modulate the VCO frequency (NOT 1/oct) and control the decay time.

Doof - The topology is common enough in many drum synths: Trigger circuit, envelope follower, VCO VCA, but the actual sub-circuits are slimmed down versions of the dual OTA VCO and VCA from the Matrix Mixer.
Very wide ranging and shape control squares up the waveshape to get a nice raspy rattle to the sounds.

32:1 (more info) a 1:32 or 32:1 mux. It can split one input signal into 32 outputs or switch 32 inputs into 1 output. Use the reset to get lower counts and the direction control to add a dash of complexity to your mux. If nothing is patched into the in/out jack, it works as a 32 stage counter.
This module is inspired by the 32 stage counter/multiplexor developed by Julian Driscoll and Warren Burt, although this version is a completely different & simplified design using 16:1 analogue switching ICs that will pass any voltage within the rails.

Wehavenomouth
I was heavily considering buying a print of the triumph of death last week, but i decided to save that money for diy eurorack. Weird. I guess ive figured out what i have to spend it on!
basicbasic
32:1 looks like the sequential switch i've been dreaming of - how do the LEDs relate to the stages though?
sammy123
I'm going to need that 32:1!! This is fun!
andrewF
basicbasic wrote:
32:1 looks like the sequential switch i've been dreaming of - how do the LEDs relate to the stages though?

binary........everyone here can count in binary, right? Ninja

To have one LED for each of the 32 in/outputs would have doubled the number of components, so it was 5 or none. They do indicate quite nicely what is going on.
edit - should mention; this module was originally designed for use at audio rates. In which case the LEDs are superfluous.
flab
nanners
tenshun
These look awesome! what is thr HP of the 32:1?
andrewF
tenshun wrote:
These look awesome! what is thr HP of the 32:1?

Thanks w00t

32:1 is 14HP
basicbasic
andrewF wrote:
edit - should mention; this module was originally designed for use at audio rates. In which case the LEDs are superfluous.

Was just reading a little about Driscoll and Burt - very interesting stuff, especially the connection to David Chesworth etc. Looking forward to building the 32:1 even just for the heritage aspect.
andrewF
Warren Burt sold his Serge & Driscoll panels....15 or 16 of them a few years ago, they live near Sydney now.
I got a couple of them working, some info HERE.
trip
Great stuff! Will thonk be stocking any of the new pcbs any time soon?
antf4rm
Wow! Great stuff man.
That's switch gives me so many musical ideas.
Really nice.
andrewF
trip wrote:
Great stuff! Will thonk be stocking any of the new pcbs any time soon?

Eventually but no idea when, otherwise shipping from me for PCBs & panels is US$5 per order
sammy123
Can't beat $5 shipping.
malnatim
andrewF, how many nlc modules is that so far this year? you must have the world record. you spoil us.
andrewF
I think about 11.

It partly stems from running monthly synth DIY workshops with nathanxl. We build a new module every month. Last year was pretty busy trying to keep up, so this year I made an effort to keep at least 3 months ahead of the workshops.
malnatim
andrewF wrote:

It partly stems from running monthly synth DIY workshops with nathanxl.

the workshopers are very lucky and must have some great systems developing. as are we. thank you!
waveglider
NLC/Andrew really makes some cool ass modules, thank you for your continued dedication to making super interesting projects.
calaveras
aw bruh why you hating on the through hole?
some of us have really lame eyes and cant see that SMT shit. Like do you guys have elves that help you build thi stuff?
andrewF
My eyes are really bad for reading and close-up work, so I wear a magnifier, they are as cheap as $10 on ebay (tho I suggest getting a better one with glass lens).

search for 'headset magnifier' or 'watchmakers visor', that kinda thing.

Here's a pic of me with it on:

razz

It is at least twice as fast to work with smd components, once you can see what you are doing.
Also it is much easier to remove and replace smd compared to thru-hole.
andrewF
a better demo of bong0

OlivierWah
I buy the Drezno module and I think about how a dual 32:1 can be amazing ^^.

In the Drezno, bits inputs can be linked (normalized) from the left to the right, imagine with dual 32:1 with one 32:1 ouputs normalized to 32:1 inputs and you juste choose to swap some pieces :p.
ac
bong0 mod inspired by the Landscape All Flesh — Attach a wire from the plated LED hole to the trimmer, and put yourself in the feedback loop of the envelope by touching the panel at the LED and on a jack nut. Nice! Touchy self-resonance.

marbles
is there any reason trim pots can't be replaced with a normal potentiometer wired to the front panel? i make my own panels so just wondering about this
mmagin
marbles wrote:
is there any reason trim pots can't be replaced with a normal potentiometer wired to the front panel? i make my own panels so just wondering about this

I think generally, use the same resistance potentiometer and you'd be just fine.
However, if you're replacing a multi-turn trimmer with a single-turn panel pot, it might become too touchy to adjust. Also if it's a ridiculously high impedance or weak signal node in the circuit, it might be more susceptible to picking up noise or hum.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2