MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using Cassettes for Power Electronics
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Using Cassettes for Power Electronics
noise_not_music
How do people make such harsh noises/sounds with cassettes and cassette players? Ive see people with 2 or 3 cassette players in their setup and it seems like they do more then just press play on the player and just play the tape
Reese P. Dubin
nest time check the gain trims on their mixer, you may find them highly attenuated
MindMachine
Very loud speed control of random recordings. Fun.
EarlJemmings
Recently played a live show where I had prepared a tape of me reading They're Made Out of Meat, and then slowed it down a bunch, transferring between two tapes and making it clip a bit each time.
Came out with some really great high pitched tones and interesting gritty texture.
You can hear it around 2:15
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/275316219" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Really just experiment and play and listen. Tape is wonderful w00t
flokaruna
EarlJemmings wrote:
Recently played a live show where I had prepared a tape of me reading They're Made Out of Meat, and then slowed it down a bunch, transferring between two tapes and making it clip a bit each time.
Came out with some really great high pitched tones and interesting gritty texture.
You can hear it around 2:15
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/275316219" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Really just experiment and play and listen. Tape is wonderful w00t

wow...sounds really beautiful
scuto
A while ago I engineered a feedback loop between three channels of a mixing board and an old tape deck. I kept the recording level knobs at 10. I used a car cassette adapter in the deck, which allowed me to make use of the uncertainty of the transducer. So much fun! It also distorted in a most lovely way when feeding live audio through it.
Mosiej
for tape saturation. on some of the 4 tracks you can run them sorta "live" without much dly
meursault
yeah, just changing these and probably doing some feedback, I guess?...
at least, that's how I think it might go.
tape saturation seems to be really trendy right now.
murphym379
basically you can pre-record anything on fourtrack, and then juggle it, chop it up, pitchbend... i saw something with Alessandro Cortini talking about mixing four different tracks on the fly in his NIN tour. he used a tascam 4track, which people are almost giving away these days. nice to see such simple gear being used in an arena show. you can see the possibilities very clearly the way he explains it. around 3:30 in the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1