MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

another MS20 mini / eurorack thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author another MS20 mini / eurorack thread
prae
Here we go again...

Thinking about getting a MS20. How does it match up to euro?

Through pure fluke I've acquired a disting a week ago so I know a little about CV conversion via that.

But that's 1CV (oct/V) conversion and that's it.

How does the rest of the MS20 interface with euro? Clock, envelopes, everything else ok?

If you think I'm wasting my time and money also, let me know! wink
ImNotDedYet
The gate/trigger on the MS20 (at least the Mini, but I believe the OG and the kit as well) are reversed polarity as well, so you'd need it inverted. You can get pitch into the MS-20 by patching up the MS-20 in a bit of an odd way that I don't recall. There are examples here in other posts on the MS-20.

Other than that, you can use everything incorporated with modular.

The oscillators don't come straight out, so you need to run them through the filter, env, etc with filters wide open to get the oscillators.

I've found I use my Mother32 far more to integrate with my modular.

There's also this (http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds3.php) coming up for the Mini which looks like a very cool add on that would make the MS-20 mini much more modular friendly.
mharpum
Depends on the size of your euro rack, I have an ms20 that never gets used anymore now I have a fair bit of euro stuff, even got an english tear to convert it. Personally I would spend the money on more euro stuff.
simolasco
mharpum wrote:
Depends on the size of your euro rack, I have an ms20 that never gets used anymore now I have a fair bit of euro stuff, even got an english tear to convert it. Personally I would spend the money on more euro stuff.

this thumbs up
dumbledog
Note that you can get the MS 20 to track 1V/Oct by going through the Total In jack and setting T.Ext to 9 or so (you'll need to tweak it). The oscillator's track a good 3, maybe 4 octaves easily if you're careful, and you get keytracking of the filter this way as a bonus.
MutantLabs
I've initially bought my small modular rig to extend my MS-20 Mini with more and syncable modulation sources, envelopes and so on. So far, I haven't even tried to run a patchcable between both systems...
The MS-20 Mini is a great little synth on it's own, but even my minimal modular rig (MFB OSC-03, Maths, uVCA, Doepfer Wasp filter, Clouds) does a lot of things the MS-20 can't.

To sum up, integrating an MS-20 with a modular does not seem to bring much benefit to me.
Manzanedo
I had expected to integrate my MS20 Mini with my modular more at the time I started building my system. I now find that I typically use them independently, but simultaneously. I rarely use my English Tear, but I am glad I do have it when it's needed.
beepboopbop
I also tried to pair my MS20 up with my Eurorack setup and found that the workflow didn't seem very natural for me. I ended up getting a Korg MS 10 style filter from Manhattan Analog which gets me most of the way there. There's lots of other MS20 style filters in Euro land so you may end up wanting to get one of those (cheaper and takes up less space) if you're wanting the MS20 sound
XponentOne
I love my ms20 mini - I largely use it for live playing lead lines over my sequences. I also have an Elektron AK which simplifies sequencing the ms20 as it can do s-trig and hz/v. Is also worth grabbing an sq1 to pair with it, fun little sequencer/midi-cv box.
eskevan
Recently had the a143 clocked and sending envelope to One synth and Comparator signal to another and modulating the MS VCO. Sounded nice through the filter.
Only complaint is that the volume level is low to the point it's all the way up on my mixer while Euro stuff is half that.
djhyperspace
Best hit hats in the game... Love triggering my ms20m from my euro. Doepfer trig inverter is a god send! Do it
dumbledog
djhyperspace wrote:
Best hit hats in the game... Love triggering my ms20m from my euro. Doepfer trig inverter is a god send! Do it

This site has a really good PDF on synthesizing drums on an MS-20, with particular attention to hi hats. Good series of videos explaining the concepts too. Great fun.
egothelivingplanet
ytrb6 wrote:
mharpum wrote:

this thumbs up

I think this is quite common. I've had an original MS20 for far too long and have only bothered to integrate it in to my modular a couple times in the last year.

That said, the ms20 is a fun instrument. And it does feel like an instrument rather than a (ever growing/changing) collection of modules. I still really like it, but I don't think I'd bother getting one now in 2016 because there are more interesting options about. The core sound of the MS20 is quite easily obtained within the modular format.
izmond
djhyperspace wrote:

Which type of inversion works in this case? Is it a logic inversion or trigger polarization? Are those the same thing? Which Doepfer does the trick? Hard to find definitive answers on this.
Inju
dumbledog wrote:
Note that you can get the MS 20 to track 1V/Oct by going through the Total In jack and setting T.Ext to 9 or so (you'll need to tweak it). The oscillator's track a good 3, maybe 4 octaves easily if you're careful, and you get keytracking of the filter this way as a bonus.

Wow did not know this. Will try this tonight!
Inju
Manzanedo wrote:
I had expected to integrate my MS20 Mini with my modular more at the time I started building my system. I now find that I typically use them independently, but simultaneously. I rarely use my English Tear, but I am glad I do have it when it's needed.

To each there own. The external input patch by itself makes the MS20 so interesting for me to control triggering in so many different ways. There's a way to even get a close duophonic synthesizer by using the external in. I posted a YouTube video if anyone wants to know how pm me. The sample and hold, two noise sources, an independent VCA, feeding oscillators into the MS 20 low and hi pass filter with two envelopes and a LFO modulation source.....Honestly the sounds you get from the MS20 when you dig into it give me a feeling of happiness when I play it.

In terms of the English Tear, it's also a great utility module for inverting signals, attunvertors and also strangely a filter. I've experimented running a VCO through the Hz volt converter and it does not change the fundamental tone but adds harmonics and sounds like an interesting filter. It's minor but it adds a bit of bass to my VCOs. Maybe someone with some tech knowledge can expand on what it's actually doing. smile
amop
Inju wrote:
Manzanedo wrote:

To each there own. The external input patch by itself makes the MS20 so interesting for me to control triggering in so many different ways. There's a way to even get a close duophonic synthesizer by using the external in. I posted a YouTube video if anyone wants to know how pm me. The sample and hold, two noise sources, an independent VCA, feeding oscillators into the MS 20 low and hi pass filter with two envelopes and a LFO modulation source.....Honestly the sounds you get from the MS20 when you dig into it give me a feeling of happiness when I play it.

In terms of the English Tear, it's also a great utility module for inverting signals, attunvertors and also strangely a filter. I've experimented running a VCO through the Hz volt converter and it does not change the fundamental tone but adds harmonics and sounds like an interesting filter. It's minor but it adds a bit of bass to my VCOs. Maybe someone with some tech knowledge can expand on what it's actually doing. smile

Saw your video and very much appreciated it. Clever use of external in. applause
eskevan
I prefer the MS 20 Mini over the Arturias and M32, although the M32 is more solid and probably a better value.
Mantysalo
hey there,

Would the Kenton Modular Solo work between the MS-20 and Eurorack? It has a voltage convertor and an s trig.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/modsolo.shtml

Ideally I would want to connect my ms-20 to another VCO (Dixie II+) to play in unison. From there, maybe add a Maths??

Would the Kenton be a better option than The Harvestman English Tear or Expert Sleeper Disting? Or would it be easier to get the harvest man/disting and make my own s-trig cable?

I'm new to the Eurorack world, but would like to get to know it better!
neinnein_nein
i'm having trouble interfacing mine! ;-(
on top of the ms20 is a disting mk3 and right of that is a little s-trig to v trig converter i soldered onto a blank 2hp panel..

the hz/v conversion sort of works when the trigger conversion cable isn't plugged in and the trigger conversion cable cable works when there's nothing in the cv out plug of the ms20 but they can't work AT THE SAME TIME. it's so stupid, I have no idea what's causing this. extremely unchill.
i'm considering just using a usb midi host, but then, also might as well just use ableton live and a laptop and trash those synths.. ;-(

any idea why this thing isn't working properly?
[/img]
neinnein_nein
sorry this is my first post actually, couldn't upload an img but it's attached
neinnein_nein
sorry this is my first post actually, couldn't upload an img but it's attached
BlinkyLights
I want to experiment with interfacing a Mini with eurorack, at least the Ext In.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1