MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euclidean Circles
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Euclidean Circles
av500
Hi, ECv2 ha no CV input, only clock and reset, so that is not possible.
mdoudoroff
I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.
ckwjr
I love v2 / the mute extension is high on my wishlist.
ckwjr
Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf
av500
mdoudoroff wrote:
I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.

I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?
Aaronautical001
ckwjr wrote:
Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf

If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC d'oh! ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....
cafesinleche
really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.
BTG
av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?

There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.
franman69
Latest Euclidean/Turing Fun...

av500
BTG wrote:
av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.

yes, but with 3 or 6 channels, CV control of fill and length would mean 6 or 12 CV inputs. it would make for a very large module, no? smile
av500
cafesinleche wrote:
really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.

well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated smile
ckwjr
Aaronautical001 wrote:
ckwjr wrote:

If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC d'oh! ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....

Thanks for the recommendation - really excellent read so far!
cafesinleche
av500 wrote:
cafesinleche wrote:

well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated smile

hey! cool shit. that would mean i'd have to upgrade to v2 eek!

awesome products. euclidean was one of the first modules i noticed that pushed me to jump into eurorack.
av500
yes, upgrade smile
Robrecht
av500 wrote:

I don't know, I'd say the endless encoders and especially the visual representation of patterns make it very suitable for CV control because its visual interface can always reflect its current state, regardless of whether it's set manually or by CV. You wouldn't have to guess what pattern the current knob position plus CV offset will yield like in a module with pots and no LEDs.

Length + fill + rotation for all six channels might be a little overkill, but just length for all six would be cool to patch some automatic variation, or maybe length + fill for just three channels.

Not that I miss it that much, I love my EC v2!
IEC
I am really enjoying this module, its almost like the beating heart of my case. my only minor gripes are that the numbering is backwards! why is output 4 at the top an output 1 at the bottom? Also not loving how the six switches are packed so close together to the point of being hard to operate quickly, and there is a fairly pointless big gap in the middle there which could have been used to space them out enough to accommodate adult human sized fingers.

It seems a bit odd that a module that is so immediate and playable has these slightly strange design choices that detract from the immediacy and playability for seemingly no reason.

Im still buying a second one anyway though SlayerBadger!
av500
for the numbering, the reasoning was that you would use 1-3 more than 4-6, so typically rack mounted the cables plugged in at the bottom would be less "in the way"

as for the switches, they follow the spacing of the output jacks which in hindsight was not the best choice confused
IEC
yes that makes sense... thanks for answering smile and for the great module. I wonder if switches are even that good for mutes, those light up buttons like on the muton are much easier to press fast.... w00t
EPTC
Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.
ckwjr
My mute extension finally arrived. Aside from the comment above about tightly packed switches, the added functionality is fantastic.
wsy
Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill
av500
wsy wrote:
Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill

Hi Bill,

sorry about that, please get back to Synthcube, whoever packed their kits bought and shipped the wrong kind of WS2812B - I thought they had corrected that by now :(
av500
EPTC wrote:
Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.

starts around 7:30

Silver
I just got my v2 and the added features are fantastic! Just wondering... any plans for an envelope mode like the Pamela’s New Workout? That would be pretty sweet!
dbeats
I also just bought this wonderful module and I am totally happy with it so far. I had been looking for a small but playable 4-6ch trigger sequencer for a small live rack and ended up with EC, the other option would have been Knit Rider.

I especially like the F-functions, there are so many useful shortcuts that I would even consider adding configurable F2 and F3 buttons in the next version if I was the manufacturer.

I have one minor question or request: Is it possible to load a new pattern from memory „in musical sync“ with the clock or even next reset?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4