Euclidean Circles

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 am

Hi, ECv2 ha no CV input, only clock and reset, so that is not possible.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3780
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 am

I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

I love v2 / the mute extension is high on my wishlist.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am

Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publi ... /banff.pdf

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:11 am

mdoudoroff wrote:I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.
I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:43 am
Location: UK

Post by Aaronautical001 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 am

ckwjr wrote:Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publi ... /banff.pdf
If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC :doh: ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by cafesinleche » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 pm

really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.

User avatar
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: USA

Post by BTG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 pm

av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.
I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?
There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.

User avatar
franman69
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY
Contact:

Post by franman69 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Latest Euclidean/Turing Fun...

[video][/video]

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 am

BTG wrote:
av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.
I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?
There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.
yes, but with 3 or 6 channels, CV control of fill and length would mean 6 or 12 CV inputs. it would make for a very large module, no? :)

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 am

cafesinleche wrote:really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.
well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated :)

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Aaronautical001 wrote:
ckwjr wrote:Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publi ... /banff.pdf
If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC :doh: ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....
Thanks for the recommendation - really excellent read so far!

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by cafesinleche » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:26 pm

av500 wrote:
cafesinleche wrote:really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.
well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated :)
hey! cool shit. that would mean i'd have to upgrade to v2 :eek:

awesome products. euclidean was one of the first modules i noticed that pushed me to jump into eurorack.

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 am

yes, upgrade :)

Robrecht
Common Wiggler
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 am

Post by Robrecht » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:37 am

av500 wrote:I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?
I don't know, I'd say the endless encoders and especially the visual representation of patterns make it very suitable for CV control because its visual interface can always reflect its current state, regardless of whether it's set manually or by CV. You wouldn't have to guess what pattern the current knob position plus CV offset will yield like in a module with pots and no LEDs.

Length + fill + rotation for all six channels might be a little overkill, but just length for all six would be cool to patch some automatic variation, or maybe length + fill for just three channels.

Not that I miss it that much, I love my EC v2!

User avatar
IEC
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 am
Location: Australia

Post by IEC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:20 pm

I am really enjoying this module, its almost like the beating heart of my case. my only minor gripes are that the numbering is backwards! why is output 4 at the top an output 1 at the bottom? Also not loving how the six switches are packed so close together to the point of being hard to operate quickly, and there is a fairly pointless big gap in the middle there which could have been used to space them out enough to accommodate adult human sized fingers.

It seems a bit odd that a module that is so immediate and playable has these slightly strange design choices that detract from the immediacy and playability for seemingly no reason.

Im still buying a second one anyway though :sb:

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm

for the numbering, the reasoning was that you would use 1-3 more than 4-6, so typically rack mounted the cables plugged in at the bottom would be less "in the way"

as for the switches, they follow the spacing of the output jacks which in hindsight was not the best choice :/

User avatar
IEC
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 am
Location: Australia

Post by IEC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 am

yes that makes sense... thanks for answering :) and for the great module. I wonder if switches are even that good for mutes, those light up buttons like on the muton are much easier to press fast.... :party:

User avatar
EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 am
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by EPTC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.
http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word

SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS #20: A Tribute to Anne Sexton


ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

My mute extension finally arrived. Aside from the comment above about tightly packed switches, the added functionality is fantastic.

User avatar
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm
Location: near Boston Massachusetts USA

Post by wsy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 am

Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm

wsy wrote:Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill
Hi Bill,

sorry about that, please get back to Synthcube, whoever packed their kits bought and shipped the wrong kind of WS2812B - I thought they had corrected that by now :(

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm

EPTC wrote:Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.
starts around 7:30

[video][/video]

User avatar
Silver
Common Wiggler
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: New York

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:25 pm

I just got my v2 and the added features are fantastic! Just wondering... any plans for an envelope mode like the Pamela’s New Workout? That would be pretty sweet!

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Post by dbeats » Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I also just bought this wonderful module and I am totally happy with it so far. I had been looking for a small but playable 4-6ch trigger sequencer for a small live rack and ended up with EC, the other option would have been Knit Rider.

I especially like the F-functions, there are so many useful shortcuts that I would even consider adding configurable F2 and F3 buttons in the next version if I was the manufacturer.

I have one minor question or request: Is it possible to load a new pattern from memory „in musical sync“ with the clock or even next reset?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”