MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euclidean Circles
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Euclidean Circles
franman69
Euclidean Circles...

What a blast this new module from Vladimir is! Within minutes of it being powered up I had funky syncopated jams going that were so much more fun to wiggle with than either of my other pattern generators (see the lonely Grids sitting next to the Shiny new Euclidean??). I'm driving pretty much everything in this patch with Euclidean Circles. The only other clock is a tempi division running the Y Clock on Rene. One of the cool things about EC is there are two outputs for each pattern. The selected beats and then the NOT selected gates. I'm driving bass drum and bass synth with Ch 1 (and 4). Snare and Rene X lead sequence with Ch 2 (and 5) and Hihat and Bongos (Rings) with Ch 3 (and 6). You can also program them all individually if you prefer on two pages for the three dials.

I have pre-set the amount of divisions and the start point (offset if you will) for each of the three channels. I'm only wiggling the number of On beats for each dial to create the variations you hear on this piece. Sorry the video is kinda crappy but I was trying to find a setting to make the wonderful multicolor LED's on EC show up in the final video.. (didn't do so great). The module is BRIGHT!! I have the Led's one notch above the darkest setting (1-8 I believe).

Anyway, this is a fun, easy to use, versatile module that generates great patterns in a hurry. It's well made and a ton of fun to watch!.. hope you enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS4XgG5xQNo
stephend
very cool. I was just searching for info on this module the other day. also, hello fellow westchester guy!
mdoudoroff
Looks like a really neat interface.

Maybe it needs a filter layer over those LEDs? Probably can DIY one.
franman69
The LED's are not too bright when lowered. They are just difficult to get nice on a video...

franman69
stephend wrote:
very cool. I was just searching for info on this module the other day. also, hello fellow westchester guy!

Where in Westchester are you?? PM me..
Footkerchief
franman69 wrote:
The LED's are not too bright when lowered. They are just difficult to get nice on a video...
There's also a brightness trim-pot on the PCB if I recall.
nickbaba
This looks great - thanks for the demo vid. Very interested in this.
franman69
Footkerchief wrote:
franman69 wrote:
There's also a brightness trim-pot on the PCB if I recall.

They are adjustable on the front panel through the setup UI...
Bigsteak
I'm very interested in this but I don't know where to buy it.
Zymos
Bigsteak wrote:

Check the first post of the thread in the DIY forum, he sells boards in various states of completion as well as fully built.

Cool demo franman69, you probably just helped sell a bunch of modules!
franman69
Zymos wrote:
Bigsteak wrote:

Check the first post of the thread in the DIY forum, he sells boards in various states of completion as well as fully built.

Just FYI..by the time I purchased the PCB/SMT kit plus parts it was only 30-40Eu less than buying the completed and tested module. That's the way I ended up going.

and Vladimir was great to deal with also!!
digable-me
This thing looks fantastic.
Hallmar
This looks AWESOME!

After reading The Geometry of Musical Rhythm by Godfried T. Toussaint(the man who started using the euclidian algorhythm for making world beats) i always wondered why no one has done a trigger sequencer with the circles as he depicts in his book.

I've got a Trigger Riot in the post but man i want this one too!!
nickbaba
I ordered a pre-built from Vladimir after seeing this vid. Nice guy to deal with.

Can't wait!
dani
I also have to chime in, Vladimir is a very nice person and his communication is top-notch! He sent me the module very fast and it's for sure on the (visually) nicest eurorack-moxdules

I also made a short video for demonstrating the sequencing possibilities (most drum sounds made by the Nord Drum 1):

http://youtu.be/UOTFrowD9es
Paranormal Patroler
dani wrote:
I also have to chime in, Vladimir is a very nice person and his communication is top-notch! He sent me the module very fast and it's for sure on the (visually) nicest eurorack-moxdules

I also made a short video for demonstrating the sequencing possibilities (most drum sounds made by the Nord Drum 1):

How did you get it to not double trig ? The ND1 I mean.
Hirsbro
Ill buy it just for the light show we're not worthy
franman69
The light show is... enjoyable for sure... the simple as hell poly rhythmic madness is more than enjoyable!!... Love-this-module. When I first got my Turing Machine, I couldn't stop using it... this is how I feel about EC..(still love the Turing as well!)
dani
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
dani wrote:

How did you get it to not double trig ? The ND1 I mean.

good listen! I asked Vladimir my module to put out 10V. I haven't dealt with the input sensitivity of the Nord Drum yet, so I got the effect of double trigs, which I actually liked in this session
av500
Hallmar wrote:
This looks AWESOME!

After reading The Geometry of Musical Rhythm by Godfried T. Toussaint(the man who started using the euclidian algorhythm for making world beats) i always wondered why no one has done a trigger sequencer with the circles as he depicts in his book.

I've got a Trigger Riot in the post but man i want this one too!!

@Hallmar, I have one for you too! hihi

@all: guys, thanks for the endorsement, I love that you are having fun with my little blinking module we're not worthy nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! applause
Fastus
Great vid Franman69 !! (will actually be in Westchester Saturday night)
akairipper
for makIng me a circles!! it's a an awsome bit of kit. it's got six outputs and my pico drums have six inputs. I love it. so nice to look at too!!
peanut
Great patch, OP we're not worthy
hawkfuzz
Still don't know what Euclidean even means...sounds great though.
md5-
hawkfuzz wrote:

Haha same here.
av500
hawkfuzz wrote:

it's greek for "tons of blinking lights"
felixer
bunch of barbarians. and no, it's not cool to be stupid ...
batch
Amazing module, I use with Rene a lot.

And Vladimir is really nice - he hand delivered my module to San Francisco!
av500
Armstrb wrote:
Amazing module, I use with Rene a lot.

And Vladimir is really nice - he hand delivered my module to San Francisco!

hihi thanks! hihi

hand delivery is a special ordering option... smile
nectarios
Love it. applause

EPTC
Just to resurrect this thread. Meant to post this a while back, but Vlad put together a self-contained/self-powered case for Euclidean Circles along with Six Switches as an order. It's so much fun to have this as a clocking instrument outside of a case. And nice to have the 5V power needed confined to its own power adapter.

Good regards to vpme.de!

franman69
Hell... here's another recent video with EC playing with Eloquencer... still love Euclidean...

av500
EPTC wrote:

Good regards to vpme.de!

thanks a lot! have fun! nanners Rockin' Banana!
xthrasherx
Just got my hands on a Euclidean Circles and oh boy is it fun. I'm already loving it and just scratched the surface of what it can do.

Here it is sequencing the Metasonix D2000 and TM3 drone.

Fastus
thumbs up some excellent sound xthrasherx - big thumbs up!
franman69
really excellent xthrasherx... that was massive!
nectarios
Kick: Peaks FM drum
Snare: Peaks 808 snare
Bass: A6
Strings: A4
Short note on the 4: A4
Glitchy noises: Mysteron
Trashy drums: Bassimilus Iteritas Alter
Hat: TM noise into Optomix

Delay: 4ms DLD, Delay Feed and Feedback controlled by Pressure Out on Pressure Points. Trigger for Bassimilus: A-151 Sequential Switch.

Inputs to A-151 are: Euclidean Circles output 3, Rene Ygate, Tempi out 1, Tempi out 3 (moded channels Tempi 1, 3, 5, 6 at various intervals).

Antimatter Launch Codes triggers A-151.

EC out 1 excites Mysteron Top input.
EC out 4 excites Mysteron Low input
EC out 2 clocks Voltage Block and Touring Machine, which triggers the Hat, Holds DLD Ch B and reverses both ChA and ChB and also Resets Launch Codes and provides triggers to A-148, Sample input is Malekko white noise and controls Time A on 4ms DLD.
Time on 4ms DLD CV is Wogglebug Woggle Out.
Voltage Block CVs all parameters on BIA.
Rene CV out to Mysteron Impulse.
Wooglebug Smooth Out to Mysteron Mutation Type.

PP outs are macro control to Doepfer A-132-4 to (un)mute Kick, Snare, BIA.

Stue
Top module, have it in my case since new year - heavily used since then...
Futuresound
It really is a well-designed module, great fun to play. And it's gorgeous, my family has finally forgiven me for selling my SMR.

I really wish it had CV control over length / fill / rotation.
hw408
xthrasherx wrote:
Just got my hands on a Euclidean Circles and oh boy is it fun. I'm already loving it and just scratched the surface of what it can do.

Here it is sequencing the Metasonix D2000 and TM3 drone.

Others already said it but the sounds in this video were all awesome whoah. we're not worthy

Need to look up TM3 now. The clunky percussive stuff was super weird special too.

edit: very frustrating $1000 of weirdness
starthief

Well this looks nifty.
etheroar
Damn wish I had waited for V2. Any chance there'll be a firmware update for V1 with some of the new features? Not sure if it's even possible...
av500
etheroar wrote:
Damn wish I had waited for V2. Any chance there'll be a firmware update for V1 with some of the new features? Not sure if it's even possible...

the V2 software does not fit the V1 CPU internal firmware memory
Naenyn
This is easily one of the coolest looking modules I've seen. Anyone using one for melodic/generative stuff instead of just drums? Just looking for patch ideas...
BTG
Just installed mine and I have no idea what's going on. When I turn on my system all three rings are just blinking between red green blue. If I press the F-button then all blink white alternately. Long pressing does nothing. This is a v2 w/ Six Switches (factory). Nothing in the manual seems to indicate this mode. It doesn' look like any of the videos I've seen either?

I can't even tell what version of firmware I'm on -- when I boot up I see a single red dot on bottom ring at the 5th LED (counting clockwise from 'noon').

Any help/advice appreciated!
av500
Hi there,

I am sorry, your module is for some reason still in factory test mode. please do the following;

- rotate all three encoders until all three rings are all white
- press all three encoders until the three knobs show white
- press the F button

and then you are good to go.
BTG
Brilliant, thanks for the fast response, all is good now!
Jumbuktu
Naenyn wrote:
This is easily one of the coolest looking modules I've seen. Anyone using one for melodic/generative stuff instead of just drums? Just looking for patch ideas...

Responding to an old post ... but, yes. I have tried creating 4 linked voices using a SynthTech Quad Temporal Shifter, and triggering envelopes for each voice using gates from Euclidean Circles. I have a O&C in the middle (Quantermain mode) to control pitches, and the quantising timing gets controlled by the triggers in O&C. This works nicely to produce canonical melodic lines with different rhythmic patterns. You can also invert one or more of the melodic lines to create interest - and selectively mute and unmute voices to create builds and breaks.
Portabella
Hello,

I have a question about the EC v2. I am about to buy it.
But I was wondering if it's possible to shift the patterns within its time signature around. So let's say, shift the first beat back and forth via CV.
Is that possible?
gb2
there's no cv input in the module, so the answer is no.
but you could use 2 channels (basic + variation) and patch to a voltage controlled switch - that's what i do a lot.
av500
Hi, ECv2 ha no CV input, only clock and reset, so that is not possible.
mdoudoroff
I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.
ckwjr
I love v2 / the mute extension is high on my wishlist.
ckwjr
Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf
av500
mdoudoroff wrote:
I’m surprised there’s still no CV support for this module—it’s otherwise a stone cold classic. So unique, interactive, and good at what it does.

I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?
Aaronautical001
ckwjr wrote:
Sorry - I meant to add that the paper should be required reading for anyone using the module. It's like an extensive list of potential presets and starting points. Also helpful for getting more out of the Euclidean features in Pamela's New Workout etc. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf

If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC d'oh! ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....
cafesinleche
really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.
BTG
av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

I have thought long and hard about CV support, but it it kind at odds with the UI. since you can exactly edit the sequences by hand at all times, it would be kind of odd if they jumped around or changed by CV. Also, there are 6 channels with 3 parameters each, how many CVs to implement?

There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.
franman69
Latest Euclidean/Turing Fun...

av500
BTG wrote:
av500 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

There are some obvious ideas here -- CV control of fill and length -- but I think a lot of the variation people want can probably be more easily done externally using a combination of switches and logic modules.

yes, but with 3 or 6 channels, CV control of fill and length would mean 6 or 12 CV inputs. it would make for a very large module, no? smile
av500
cafesinleche wrote:
really wish you could adjust the random percentage. 25% drops seems like a bit much. Otherwise really love this module. V2 added some really wonderful features.

well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated smile
ckwjr
Aaronautical001 wrote:
ckwjr wrote:

If you want to go deeper into it there is also his book The Geometry of Musical Rhythm which I became aware of after reading the “ I suck at programming rhythms” thread...Decided to upgrade my brain instead of my eurorack (but then realised none of my trigger sequencers had implemented the idea to my liking so ended up purchasing EC d'oh! ).

I also found the iPad app concentric is useful for playing about with ideas. But nothing beats Euclidean circles v2 in my eurorack for fun....

Thanks for the recommendation - really excellent read so far!
cafesinleche
av500 wrote:
cafesinleche wrote:

well, this is something I could look into - v2 can be updated smile

hey! cool shit. that would mean i'd have to upgrade to v2 eek!

awesome products. euclidean was one of the first modules i noticed that pushed me to jump into eurorack.
av500
yes, upgrade smile
Robrecht
av500 wrote:

I don't know, I'd say the endless encoders and especially the visual representation of patterns make it very suitable for CV control because its visual interface can always reflect its current state, regardless of whether it's set manually or by CV. You wouldn't have to guess what pattern the current knob position plus CV offset will yield like in a module with pots and no LEDs.

Length + fill + rotation for all six channels might be a little overkill, but just length for all six would be cool to patch some automatic variation, or maybe length + fill for just three channels.

Not that I miss it that much, I love my EC v2!
IEC
I am really enjoying this module, its almost like the beating heart of my case. my only minor gripes are that the numbering is backwards! why is output 4 at the top an output 1 at the bottom? Also not loving how the six switches are packed so close together to the point of being hard to operate quickly, and there is a fairly pointless big gap in the middle there which could have been used to space them out enough to accommodate adult human sized fingers.

It seems a bit odd that a module that is so immediate and playable has these slightly strange design choices that detract from the immediacy and playability for seemingly no reason.

Im still buying a second one anyway though SlayerBadger!
av500
for the numbering, the reasoning was that you would use 1-3 more than 4-6, so typically rack mounted the cables plugged in at the bottom would be less "in the way"

as for the switches, they follow the spacing of the output jacks which in hindsight was not the best choice confused
IEC
yes that makes sense... thanks for answering smile and for the great module. I wonder if switches are even that good for mutes, those light up buttons like on the muton are much easier to press fast.... w00t
EPTC
Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.
ckwjr
My mute extension finally arrived. Aside from the comment above about tightly packed switches, the added functionality is fantastic.
wsy
Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill
av500
wsy wrote:
Got a question - my Circles kit came with a bunch of striplite, not separate bagged or taped LEDs.

Am I supposed to "strip the striplite" for it's RGB LEDs? OUCH.... that's a lot of desoldering.

Any hints?

- Bill

Hi Bill,

sorry about that, please get back to Synthcube, whoever packed their kits bought and shipped the wrong kind of WS2812B - I thought they had corrected that by now :(
av500
EPTC wrote:
Just a quick comment on how great the v1 of Euclidean Circles is - I just found out about the v2 - That new white button looks awesome! (NICE functions associated with it, too)

Are there any demos that specifically show the F-Button in process (changing presets, etc) - Great work, either way.

starts around 7:30

Silver
I just got my v2 and the added features are fantastic! Just wondering... any plans for an envelope mode like the Pamela’s New Workout? That would be pretty sweet!
dbeats
I also just bought this wonderful module and I am totally happy with it so far. I had been looking for a small but playable 4-6ch trigger sequencer for a small live rack and ended up with EC, the other option would have been Knit Rider.

I especially like the F-functions, there are so many useful shortcuts that I would even consider adding configurable F2 and F3 buttons in the next version if I was the manufacturer.

I have one minor question or request: Is it possible to load a new pattern from memory „in musical sync“ with the clock or even next reset?
TranscendMoreDimensions
I saw a post that Danny Carey was using one of these in his eurorack setup.
av500
dbeats wrote:
I also just bought this wonderful module and I am totally happy with it so far. I had been looking for a small but playable 4-6ch trigger sequencer for a small live rack and ended up with EC, the other option would have been Knit Rider.

I especially like the F-functions, there are so many useful shortcuts that I would even consider adding configurable F2 and F3 buttons in the next version if I was the manufacturer.

I have one minor question or request: Is it possible to load a new pattern from memory „in musical sync“ with the clock or even next reset?

happy to hear you like the circles we're not worthy

about the preset loading "in sync", I need to see what I can do smile
av500
TranscendMoreDimensions wrote:
I saw a post that Danny Carey was using one of these in his eurorack setup.

indeed he is, Circles is part of the Tool 2019 tour setup smile
IEC
I have changed my mind about the six switches. the current layout allows me to make a "finger sandwich" and flick all 3 switches at the same time off with one hand. so its actually kind of handy having them that close! i think if they were move evenly spaced, it would be much harder to manipulate 2 or 3 switches at once with just one hand. so i am now fan of the current layout w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4