MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dotcom Entry System Power Supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Dotcom Entry System Power Supply
Henfield
I have a question for those who have and use a Dotcom Entry System Power Supply, which is listed on their site as being "NOS" or "Refurbished". How many cabinets or rack spaces are you able to run with this power supply? I currnetly have DIY cabinets running off of a DIY power supply and QPS2 power supplies, but I would like to upgrade to two of their portable cabinets (which are 22 spaces each) along with a Dotcom power supply. Roger says that the Entry Level Power supply will not power two portable cabinets, but I wanted to hear from other users, before I decide to purchase an Entry System Power Supply or a QPS1.
SynthBaron
I wouldn't run a power supply like that on more than one cabinet, but it should be fine. It will just make more audible 60hz/120hz hum.
Tronman
I've run up to 3 1/2 22-space cabinets with mine. I think it was a refurbished QPS1, which is supposed to be able to drive a Studio 66..
rawkeyc
I am able to easily power two 22 sapce cabinets with one of the refurbished power supplies. I currently have five 22 space cabinets, with 3 of the refurb power supplies (cabinets 1 & 2 with one power supply, cabinest 3 & 4 with another power supply, and cabinet 5 with the third). When I was first starting out I too asked Roger about the capabilities of the refurb units - like the other post says the refurb units are basically refurbed QPS1s. Since they came with the MDF cabinets in the Entry System I jsut went ahead and used the refurb unit. It worked fine so I proceeded to use them as my system expanded In case any one is wondering - I chose to use the Entry System MDF cabinets. I painted them silver - kinda a Polyfusion type look - and personally I think they turned out great. The silver cabinets match the silver edges of the modules really well. I do like the classic look of the walnut cabinets, but I wanted something a little different. Plus I have saved a boat-load of money - a complete cabinet with power supply AND cable harness is the first two months of the entry system (= $240.00). The cabinets alone are only about $130.00 including shipping.
sandyb
i was also running a 2x22 space cabinets of dotcom off my entry system supply. these days it's powering 3x12U wide modcan b series rows - that's it's limit though - i added another module the other day and things went a bit odd waah
JohnLRice
If you are handy enough to make a mounting panel and wire up some stuff without killing yourself or starting fires (seriously, no joke! angry ) you can get the main part of a lower amperage supply super cheap on Ebay!

$25 shipped! This seller is excellent too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-One-HTAA-513-5V-15V-Out-Power-Supply-/200438 842228
Henfield
Thank you for all of the responses!

JLR - Great idea, but my skills are not up to the challenge of handling AC yet! I would need someone to purchase the power one, add on the connectors to use a Dotcom Q137 power interface and Dotocm wiring Harness (all of these connectors are shown at the synthesizers.com website), so that I can mount it into a cabinet. Any takers?

Or I could try to get a Dotcom Entry system power supply from someone, as Roger does not want to sell me one direct.

I guess that I need to keep looking and lurking......
RussianDance
I run 44U with the Entry Level Power supply. To me it sounds like they are QPS1 maybe not the quieter ones but their is no guarantee what you'll get. At one point Roger stated they will power at least 44U.
Henfield
I don't where Roger states that the entry level supply will run 44U. When I sent Roger an email the other day about buying just the Entry System Power Supply, he sent a reply back to me that stated that the Entry Level Power Supply would not power 44U, but I remembered that others in the past had powered 44U with this type of power supply, which is why I started this thread. I may just start an Entry system plan with the Portable Cabinet option so that I can get one of these.
sandyb
Henfield wrote:
I don't where Roger states that the entry level supply will run 44U. When I sent Roger an email the other day about buying just the Entry System Power Supply, he sent a reply back to me that stated that the Entry Level Power Supply would not power 44U, but I remembered that others in the past had powered 44U with this type of power supply, which is why I started this thread. I may just start an Entry system plan with the Portable Cabinet option so that I can get one of these.

i guess it may well depend on exactly which power supply Roger is using for the entry system at the moment. i have two power supplies that came from dotcom.
the first came with my entry system and is rated at 1500ma, the same as a QPS1.
the second i bought used. i believe it came from an entry system originally although my memory is hazy on this. it is rated at 800ma. which probably isn't enough to power 2x22 space cabs.

maybe ask Roger what the power rating on the currently supplied entry system ones is then you'll be able to compare it to the other dotcom supplies.

sandy
kindredlost
You'll need the QPS1 for sure to get to a 44 space modular. It will handle that easily.

I find it difficult to understand Roger not selling you something. If what you mean is that you wish to substitute in the Entry System, then that is probably not gonna happen. If you plan to get up to 44 spaces then go for the proper power supply at the start. Us the "Synthinvent" program to calculate your power factor.

Why not buy the QPS1 separately and sell the other power supply?

-David
kindredlost
I re-read you original post, and may have misunderstood your need.

You may have tobuy the cabinets and controllers to get the power supplies from Roger. He is in the business of module sales, not power supplies.

To get the full blown proper power and control for a 44 space portable you'll need 2 cabs, one QPS1, one Q137 power controller, one Q103 power interface module for the second cab, a second QDH20 harness for the 2nd cab and a QIC16 cable to connect the two cabinets. This will give you 20 spaces in 2 portable cabinets. Perfect for live use. I'd also suggest the hinge & latch set so the whole thing folds and snaps neatly for transport.

Sorry for the previous confused post.

-David
Henfield
How do you get the current consumption using Synthinvent? I have been using this program for awhile, and I cannot find a function that shows the current consumption. I ended up using Roger's Excel Spreadsheet, and the consumption for my first cabinet will be at 450 mA for the +15V in the first cabinet (slightly less for the -15V), and since I plan on getting a Q119 for the second cabinet, which takes up space but doesn't use much power, and I think even the 880 mA power supply that SandyB mentioned will handle the two cabinets. I emailed Roger asking him what the ouptut was for the current Entry System Cabinet, but I have not heard back from him yet.

Okay, I will be listing some of my Dotcom QPS2's, rack frame, DIY cabinets, Dotcom, and MOTM format modules to fund my new cabinet (possibly two if I sell enough) and power supply within the next few days.

Thank you to all that have given me their insight over the past few days.
scarymcclary
i have an entry level synth. when i was about to expand i emailed roger to see about the power supply supporting another cab. he said no. i bought the qps1 just to be on the safe side. still have the entry level power supply which i'm sure will come in handy someday. but it is good to know that it is more expandable than i though...i guess it depends on modules huh?
RussianDance
> I don't know where Roger states that the entry level supply will run 44U.

It was an old post on the Synthesizers.com newsgroup, nothing official. Judging by the size and weight of my entry level power supply, I doubt it won't power up a 44U system, it looks exactly like a QPS1. There is just no guarantee. Unless I run into problems, I'd have a hard time justifying selling my entry level PS to get an almost identical QPS1.
Henfield
Roger responded to an email that I sent and said that the current Entry System power supply only supplies 400 mA to the +/- 15V rails, which isn't even enough to run the first 22 space portable cabinet that I have planned!

Yeah, it looks like the QPS1 or a DIY Power One or Condor with at least 1,000 mA is the way to go.
RussianDance
Maybe he ran out of refurbished items and changed the PS for the entry system.
SynthBaron
Henfield wrote:

Yeah, it looks like the QPS1 or a DIY Power One or Condor with at least 1,000 mA is the way to go.

Find a 3amp one so you don't have to worry about power unless you go to more than 88 spaces...lol.
kindredlost
Henfield wrote:
How do you get the current consumption using Synthinvent? I have been using this program for awhile, and I cannot find a function that shows the current consumption.

At the top of SynthInvent there are three clickable buttons. "INFO", "ACCESSORIES" & "POWER". The "POWER" button will bring up a power window. There is a "CONSUMPTION" button there.

A typical 22 space cab with a QPS1, Q137 power controller module, wiring harness and a Q119 sequencer will draw:

+5V = 70mA
+15V = 40mA
-15V = 40mA

-David
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
Henfield wrote:
How do you get the current consumption using Synthinvent? I have been using this program for awhile, and I cannot find a function that shows the current consumption.

At the top of SynthInvent there are three clickable buttons. "INFO", "ACCESSORIES" & "POWER". The "POWER" button will bring up a power window. There is a "CONSUMPTION" button there.

A typical 22 space cab with a QPS1, Q137 power controller module, wiring harness and a Q119 sequencer will draw:

+5V = 70mA
+15V = 40mA
-15V = 40mA

-David

Wow, are you sure those numbers are right? hmmm..... A Q106 VCO all by itself pulls:
+15V@30ma, -15V@30ma, +5@5ma
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:

Wow, are you sure those numbers are right? hmmm..... A Q106 VCO all by itself pulls:

It's the number I got when I built a 22 space cab with the power supply, Q137 controller and the Q119 sequencer only. Try it. I'm not saying it's correct, but it is what comes up with that configuration if you hit CONSUMPTION.

The spec for the Q119 is:
+15V@20ma, -15V@20ma, +5@50ma

The spec for a Q137 is:
+15V@10ma, -15V@10ma, +5V@10ma

So there is an extra 10mA missing somewhere in the figure. Maybe Roger is being conservative (headroom) or there is a math error.

-David
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

It's the number I got when I built a 22 space cab with the power supply, Q137 controller and the Q119 sequencer only. Try it. I'm not saying it's correct, but it is what comes up with that configuration if you hit CONSUMPTION.

The spec for the Q119 is:
+15V@20ma, -15V@20ma, +5@50ma

The spec for a Q137 is:
+15V@10ma, -15V@10ma, +5V@10ma

So there is an extra 10mA missing somewhere in the figure. Maybe Roger is being conservative (headroom) or there is a math error.

-David

d'oh! Sorry, I didn't read close or far enough. I was thinking a typical 22 space rack FULL of modules, not just the 2 or 3 you have! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1