MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unfiltered Audio Dent - Waveshaper, Bitcrusher, Wavesets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Unfiltered Audio Dent - Waveshaper, Bitcrusher, Wavesets
thelizard
Hi everyone,

I'm really excited to announce the release of our new multi-mode distortion, Dent. It's especially Wiggler friendly, as I spent almost the entirety of the design process testing this on my modular synth, and then guitar.

Dent has three main processors: Modular waveshaper, multimode bitcrusher, and waveset processor. The waveshaper has direct control over the positive and negative components of the signal. The bitcrusher features six algorithms, including bitwise AND and XOR destruction. Finally, the waveset processor turns the distortion algorithms on and off at zero crossings, creating subharmonic distortions or cable-drop effects.

I hope that you enjoy this as much as we do! You can grab a copy or a free 14-day demo here: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_dent.html

electrik noize
Heck yeah! I love bit crushers/wave manglers nanners Will definitely check this out. Congrats on the release.
secretkillerofnames
I was going to wait till after next pay day but goddamit the Plugin Alliance sent me a voucher to get it for $29. we're not worthy thumbs up
mt3
secretkillerofnames wrote:
I was going to wait till after next pay day but goddamit the Plugin Alliance sent me a voucher to get it for $29. we're not worthy thumbs up

Did everyone on their mailing list get the voucher?
thelizard
mt3 wrote:
secretkillerofnames wrote:

Did everyone on their mailing list get the voucher?

Everybody who downloaded and activated Indent should get the voucher. If you didn't get one, contact tech support and they will help right away. Usually, if one doesn't go through, it's because of an unsubscription from their e-mail lists.
mt3
It was mentioned somewhere that part of the design philosophy was for CV processing. Any further word on this? I'm imagining it was external CV and not DAW/VST modulation.
thelizard
mt3 wrote:
It was mentioned somewhere that part of the design philosophy was for CV processing. Any further word on this? I'm imagining it was external CV and not DAW/VST modulation.

Yep! The shapers are great for taking external CV signals and warping them. You'll need to turn off the DC filter.

You could previously generate CV signals by modulating the BIAS control. Unfortunately, we needed to add a noise gate to Dent to fix a number of potential click/pop/explosion bugs. After we implemented that, the BIAS and SHAPE controls only add offset when the input signal exceeds an amplitude threshold.
mt3
Dent is 39 deniros this month (down from 99).
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_dent.html
Moon Indigo
mt3 wrote:
Dent is 39 deniros this month (down from 99).
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_dent.html

Bought this two days ago, it's great!
Moon Indigo
Question for thelizard, what is the current eta for Dent 2? I use Dent all the time and am really looking forward to v2!

Cheers.
thelizard
Moon Indigo wrote:
Question for thelizard, what is the current eta for Dent 2? I use Dent all the time and am really looking forward to v2!

Cheers.

The official release date is August 21st. It will be a free update for all Dent owners thumbs up
Moon Indigo
Great smile
thelizard
thelizard wrote:
Moon Indigo wrote:

Cheers.

The official release date is August 21st. It will be a free update for all Dent owners thumbs up

We had a one day delay due to a server error. The official release is slated for tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!
Moon Indigo
thelizard wrote:
thelizard wrote:
Moon Indigo wrote:

Cheers.

We had a one day delay due to a server error. The official release is slated for tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks for the heads up Michael. Looking forward to this!
mt3
Just showed up under My Account as Dent 2.
w00t
mt3
Dent 2
-Six new clip modes.
-AGC (Auto Gain Compensation) mode. Kind of an auto-Trim knob that ensures your output audio is the same amplitude as the input. Makes cool sounds when you over-filter the output =)
-Dent only: Complex mode. Previously, Dent only had one clip mode selector. Now, you can select a different clipper for the input, post-dist/pre-crush, and output. This is way more fun and powerful.
-Multimode filter. LP, HP, BP, and BR.
-Zero-crossing indicators.
-Option for 2x and 4x oversampling. This has a *massive* effect on the bitcrushers. Way less harshness.
-Option to disable Waveset smoothing. Currently, the Probability section adds a bit of slew to combat the Bias and Split controls (which add DC offset). You can disable this for true waveset behavior. This is much better if you're using the Probability section for granular sounds.
-Module minimization.
-Step Sequencer.
-Left/Right buttons on the drop-down menus. Drop-down menus now also work 100% of the time.
-ROLI Lightpad Block support.
-"Randomize Parameters" function in the preset menu.
-Ability to disable OpenGL rendering.
-More interface scaling choices.
-Improvements for the modulation system cable handles.
-Lots and lots of bug fixes and other minor improvements that I'm forgetting about. Some major performance improvements, as well.
thelizard
mt3 wrote:
Just showed up under My Account as Dent 2.
w00t

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t

Copy-pasting my response from KVR:

Quote:
Yep! It's rolling out slowly, with the product page going up in a few hours.

It's free to all Dent owners, before anyone gets angry that it's called Dent 2! It was originally going to be Dent 1.1, but we broke compatibility in a number of places and upgraded the DSP in a few spots. We didn't want to affect the sound of any old projects, especially because the distortion settings are so sensitive.
thelizard
Dent and Indent 2 are now available!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_dent_2.ht ml
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_indent_2. html
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/learn/article/items/charles-stella- unfiltered-dent-indent-2-demo.html

If you own Dent, both licenses should already be in your account. Just run the Plugin Alliance Installation Manager or download the installers directly from those product pages.
astrodislocate
Would you be comfortable explaining what the Gloubi-boulga clipping mode does? I've never heard of that one before. Of course I understand if you'd rather not say, though.
thelizard
astrodislocate wrote:
Would you be comfortable explaining what the Gloubi-boulga clipping mode does? I've never heard of that one before. Of course I understand if you'd rather not say, though.

It's an open-source algorithm that's been used in a lot of saturation/distortion plugins:
http://musicdsp.org/archive.php?classid=4#86
(I know specifically that Audio Damage used it in the Shapes Eurorack module as one of the algos... I think it's also one of the algos in Grind)

It's nothing too unusual. It's ultimately very similar to the other Sigmoid functions (Cubic, Soft Clip).
mt3
Any further reading/vids regarding:
* waveset distortion
* is cable drop a real world phenomena being modeled?
thelizard
mt3 wrote:
Any further reading/vids regarding:
* waveset distortion
* is cable drop a real world phenomena being modeled?

Reading list...

Section two here, written by Trevor Wishart, the inventor of waveset processing: http://www.trevorwishart.co.uk/transformation.html
In general, if you look up Trevor's writings, there are tons of posts online... The most interesting waveset ideas are non-realtime and can be found in the Composers Desktop Project (http://www.unstablesound.net/cdp.html)

If you have any of the Curtis Roads books, he discusses wavesets in The Computer Music Tutorial, Microsound, and Composing Electronic Music. That was where I first discovered the technique.

It's not specifically modeled after cable drops, but it sounds quite similar. In the case of real cable drops, it wouldn't happen exactly at zero-crossings. A lot of my first-run yellow Stackcables had drop issues if they were rotated or bumped. For a more accurate physical model, there would also need to be some low-level white/pink noise burst to mimic the mechanical sound of the jack losing contact.
mt3
That Wishart article is good stuff. Ordered Audio Design.

All the above needs to go in the manual!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1