MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY 10 channel stereo mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY 10 channel stereo mixer
Kwote
ok here's what features i want. first off it's a frac module. all 10 channels will be 1/8" jack inputs. wide range pots so 100k should be cool. pan pots for each channel. stereo out, but i'd like quad out. so say left/right 1/4" jacks out for speakers and left/right 1/8" jacks for bringing back into the modular and one master volume pot. probably use a big giant moog style knob for the master.

i'm thinking the CGS mixer boards i picked up should cover my needs. i'm just wondering how i would go about making it all work and also i have zero idea how i would implement the panning.

any ideas or help would be great.
Kwote
just realized i should add a headphone section to this.
neandrewthal
Czech out this one.
Kwote
neandrewthal wrote:
Czech out this one.

hey thanks. looks like it's just a schem. but he appears to be selling boards for this:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STEREOMIXER2006/STEREOM IXER2006.php

i can just omit the features i won't use. awesome!!!!!!
Luka
you could build a nchannel stereo mixer with 2 cgs boards kwote

you just have to use each cgs mixer board as individual mono channel for each side of the stereo mix as per the diagram andrew posted, to implement pan you just chuck a pot on between the stereo input lines with the centre lug dropping to ground. the lines just run through each summing mixers and then out to join at each side of your stereo out.

since the dc mixer is a summing amp you can use as many inputs as you want.
Kwote
Luka wrote:
you could build a nchannel stereo mixer with 2 cgs boards kwote

you just have to use each cgs mixer board as individual mono channel for each side of the stereo mix as per the diagram andrew posted, to implement pan you just chuck a pot on between the stereo input lines with the centre lug dropping to ground. the lines just run through each summing mixers and then out to join at each side of your stereo out.

since the dc mixer is a summing amp you can use as many inputs as you want.

hmm. time will tell. i kinda like the mfo's boards though even though it'll cost me more. i guess i'll just play it buy ear. either way i'll be buying more of those CGS mixers. at 3 bucks a pop i'd be retarded not to.
wetterberg
Am I speaking out of turn when I suggest gutting a ready-made mixer? They can usually be had in a tiny format which would lend itself to re-casing.
Kwote
wetterberg wrote:
Am I speaking out of turn when I suggest gutting a ready-made mixer? They can usually be had in a tiny format which would lend itself to re-casing.

i thought about the rane sm26 for awhile. i need atleast 8 channels. problem with basically all mixers i've seen is they don't have 1/8" inputs and all inputs and outputs are on the back.

i'd really prefer only the speaker outs to be 1/4" and all jacks to be on the front panel. and rackable of course.
Luka
there is a layout for a audio processor with cv pan around, you could stack 10 of them and then sum into a mixer

audio processor linkage
http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page45.html#Label261
Kwote
hmmm. the crossfading sounds interesting. one of the reasons i've thought of the wiard mixolator. crossfading man.. shit yeah! Coffee Addiction FTW
plord
The Mixolator is awesome, but I feel like a bit of a dork just using it as the world's most featured VC panner.

The MFOS thing looks cool as a headphone amp and live mixer module. But for the perfect thing, it would have to have VC pan, VC level (JAG output madness, baby), and a mute button for each channel. and at that point, Ray has it right, why not just grab a small cheap mixer?
Kwote
mute isn't a bad thought but not something i'm accustomed to on my current tascam mixer so not a worry.

vc pan and vc volume are cool but could be handled in one way or another without throwing those into this module.

i've done some cool vc panning with the hexzone and the jag before. what i really need to go with all this is a shitload of vca's. i just don't have enough.. i know i know.. you can never ha....

anyways, i just like having everything racked up and the modular aesthetic is growing on me more and more. the MFOS project satisfies these cravings. only problem is i just dumped 150 bucks into other diy stuff smile
wetterberg
Kwote wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

i thought about the rane sm26 for awhile. i need atleast 8 channels. problem with basically all mixers i've seen is they don't have 1/8" inputs and all inputs and outputs are on the back.

i'd really prefer only the speaker outs to be 1/4" and all jacks to be on the front panel. and rackable of course.
well that's my point, really : any input or output can be moved to the front, and an be in any format you'd like. Sliders can be exchanged very easily for rotary potentiometers and so on, so ALL the work you'd be doing would be in front panel assembly, and no extra pcbs would be needed. That's how I'd do it, anyway.
Kwote
ahh. i see. you meant converting existing gear to the modular world. missed your point entirely.

it's not a half bad thought.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1