MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Question to Roland MC 202 owners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Question to Roland MC 202 owners
pulse3000
greetings

i am about to grab a 202, therefore i need to ask something i heard about, wondering if this is true or not.

Is it true that when you use 202 as DIN Slave to another clock, channel 2 sequencer is no more usable ?

thanks
flo
No. Never heard (or noticed, for that matter) that.
rhythmdial
that's not true afaik

part of the glory of the mc-202 is the sequencer for itself and another machine!
nanners nanners
pulse3000
good to hear its not true .

another question,

step length, accent and portamento settings, will those available on CV2 outputs and will effect the external synth as well?
flo
Yes, no, yes thumbs up
gentle_attack
There's no accent out, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a regular old gate out whether or not you've put an accent on it.

Since it took me a while to figure out, make sure you familiarize yourself with the two accent 'modes' as, one is A (amp only), the other FA (filter+amp). It defaults to A on start-up, which is a very very subtle 'accent' ... I thought mine was broken when I first got it. When you're in PLAY mode, I think it's just shift+C# and it will flash whether its in A or FA mode.

It's a really sweet sequencer, with independent step and gate lengths, you can get some really cool swings even doing basic abababab, a where gate = 1/2 step, b where gate = step.

Prepare to use some paper to design your sequences, as someone used to Elektron sequencers, I get lost pretty easily on how far I've gone with the sequence length, if that makes sense. It's not a totally different way of thinking than the elektron, but it doesn't have as many ways to gauge where you are in the sequence as the A4. There are ways to cut paste copy, by step and measure, but that's not really how I use it. I like it for intircate stuff but ultimately it's easier to make some snippits on it and then get that to a DAW or Octatrack. Considering the lack of easily used memory, I use it for ideas, I don't tend to re-visit the same sequences, and they don't tend to be extremely long sequences. Much easier to get a few bars and then use simpler/sampler or the Octa to build variations.
pulse3000
gentle_attack wrote:
There's no accent out, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a regular old gate out whether or not you've put an accent on it.

Since it took me a while to figure out, make sure you familiarize yourself with the two accent 'modes' as, one is A (amp only), the other FA (filter+amp). It defaults to A on start-up, which is a very very subtle 'accent' ... I thought mine was broken when I first got it. When you're in PLAY mode, I think it's just shift+C# and it will flash whether its in A or FA mode.

It's a really sweet sequencer, with independent step and gate lengths, you can get some really cool swings even doing basic abababab, a where gate = 1/2 step, b where gate = step.

Prepare to use some paper to design your sequences, as someone used to Elektron sequencers, I get lost pretty easily on how far I've gone with the sequence length, if that makes sense. It's not a totally different way of thinking than the elektron, but it doesn't have as many ways to gauge where you are in the sequence as the A4. There are ways to cut paste copy, by step and measure, but that's not really how I use it. I like it for intircate stuff but ultimately it's easier to make some snippits on it and then get that to a DAW or Octatrack. Considering the lack of easily used memory, I use it for ideas, I don't tend to re-visit the same sequences, and they don't tend to be extremely long sequences. Much easier to get a few bars and then use simpler/sampler or the Octa to build variations.

i am still searching a MC-4 , this is the reason i am getting a 202 , at least master till i get a mc-4 .
CV2 outputs for each channel on MC-4 must be incredible to control filters with different time lengths and steps .

So, all i want to say is i am aware of the sequencer, and i think mentality of it, is just great .

Thanks a lot for the input !
gentle_attack
pulse3000 wrote:

i am still searching a MC-4 , this is the reason i am getting a 202 , at least master till i get a mc-4 .
CV2 outputs for each channel on MC-4 must be incredible to control filters with different time lengths and steps .

So, all i want to say is i am aware of the sequencer, and i think mentality of it, is just great .

MC-4 very cool but I think when you get into that price territory Cirklon w/ CV expanders makes more sense. I don't have Eurorack or even many devices that take a CV gate+note right now, so the mc-202 is perfect. Maybe if you have an analog 4 you can have some fun DIN sync and then using A4 CV outs to control filters and some more flexible LFOs.

You've probably already seen this video, but seeing this guy auditioning some phrases on the mc-202, then programming sounds in Euro (DPO+Elements) using just the CV outs, got me more excited about using the mc-202 as opposed to my A4. It's pretty neat, if anyone in the future finds this thread, this is a really great demo of what the MC-202 is all about, in the context of a 2-CH hardware sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB_mIt8xC4E
pulse3000
gentle_attack wrote:
pulse3000 wrote:

MC-4 very cool but I think when you get into that price territory Cirklon w/ CV expanders makes more sense. I don't have Eurorack or even many devices that take a CV gate+note right now, so the mc-202 is perfect. Maybe if you have an analog 4 you can have some fun DIN sync and then using A4 CV outs to control filters and some more flexible LFOs.

You've probably already seen this video, but seeing this guy auditioning some phrases on the mc-202, then programming sounds in Euro (DPO+Elements) using just the CV outs, got me more excited about using the mc-202 as opposed to my A4. It's pretty neat, if anyone in the future finds this thread, this is a really great demo of what the MC-202 is all about, in the context of a 2-CH hardware sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB_mIt8xC4E

The thing is nothing can come close to tightness of mc4 which is crucial for some crazy beats .
midi sequencers are not able to catch that

there was a decent mc4 for a decent price, i just missed.
pulse3000
Another question ;

Is it possible to write 2 separate sequence data, one for track 1 and 1 for track 2 ?

Or its just 1 sequence data firing both outputs at the same time ?

thanks
flo
You can write two independent sequences SlayerBadger!
pulse3000
flo wrote:
You can write two independent sequences SlayerBadger!

cool
that its a deal maker for me
simolasco
Yes it's a great "little" synth, go for it!
pulse3000
ytrb6 wrote:
Yes it's a great "little" synth, go for it!

ok i tried it today, and its really difficult .

i mean, i am usually into difficult things , but i find it hard to realise in my head the step times of the notes to match what i am improvising on its keyboard before entering any data.

I think MC-4 is able to record notes from keyboard and it records as the way you are playing the step and gate times (!?)

if this is the case, MC-4 more for me than 202
flo
Yes, it's a quirky, but extremely powerful sequencer. Just FYI, there is a "tap" programming mode in the 202...
pulse3000
flo wrote:
Yes, it's a quirky, but extremely powerful sequencer. Just FYI, there is a "tap" programming mode in the 202...

do you know how ?

And what tap will give me as advantage ?

thanks
pulse3000
flo wrote:

well at least if timing data would be recorded with tap and as the way you want to , that would make deal .

its quiet difficult to give step times relative to what you play in your head .
pulse3000
flo wrote:

i figured out .

wow , thats the thing i was looking forward . !!
this makes it a killer sequencer indeed !

thanks a lot for the input

i appreciate
flo
Hehe, that was fast thumbs up

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask here SlayerBadger!
pulse3000
flo wrote:
Hehe, that was fast thumbs up

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask here SlayerBadger!

Well actually after trying it, another question appeared . But I think I already know the answer and this is probably where MC-4 wins over 202 confused

I think it is not possible to quantize the manual taps on 202 isn't it ? (Because impossible to make it on perfect time)

And I think this is possible on mc-4
flo
Hmmmm, actually not sure about that, I'd have to try it (not in front of my machines right now)... But yes, considering that the 202 allows very high step resolutions, it's possible that it doesn't quantize to 1/16...
pulse3000
flo wrote:
Hmmmm, actually not sure about that, I'd have to try it (not in front of my machines right now)... But yes, considering that the 202 allows very high step resolutions, it's possible that it doesn't quantize to 1/16...

someone wrote that, actually playing at real-time mode makes notes get quantised.

Maybe not for the internal keyboard but playing with a external CV keyboard might accomplish that.

I get this idea because many people making mod to cut internal computer and cv gate inputs due to the fact that it tries to quantise .
flo
But you need the tap button for the real time programming...? hmmm.....

The Goob
I haven't found a way to quantize the 202 in tap mode, which makes it hard to use a tapped-in rhythm along with something else like a 606. Even if you are really precise in your tapping, you'll still end up with some steps lengths of 23 instead of 24, for example. Occasionally I'll tap in an approximate rhythm and then go back and clean the step times up afterwards, but I usually feel like that's more of a hassle than just entering everything manually.
pulse3000
The Goob wrote:
I haven't found a way to quantize the 202 in tap mode, which makes it hard to use a tapped-in rhythm along with something else like a 606. Even if you are really precise in your tapping, you'll still end up with some steps lengths of 23 instead of 24, for example. Occasionally I'll tap in an approximate rhythm and then go back and clean the step times up afterwards, but I usually feel like that's more of a hassle than just entering everything manually.

Yes unfortunately this is not possible.

I just tried with an external keyboard, and tried to play from there in real time mode.
Well it is closer than tapping, but still not a %100 quantise .

I think maybe MC-4 does it perfectly .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2