MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite Doepfer Modules...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Favorite Doepfer Modules...
prscrptn
What are your favorite Doepfer modules and why?

Feel free to comment on any module that you have owned that you did not like, and what you replaced them with...

Please note that I am only inquiring about Doepfer and not all Euro rack manufactures.

Thanks!
flts
For some reason, I've fallen in love with my Doepfer lowpass gate... It doesn't produce the same cool "ring" that Plan B does (at least not with the stock cheap vactrols, don't know if they have direct substitutes) but it's a very cool module and the addition of built in resonance means it makes a killer meaty lowpass filter.
sandyb
of the ones i own i think the A149-1 Quantized/Stored Random Voltages and A149-2 Digital Random Voltages combination is my favourite. i really like the different flavours of random that the four outputs produce on the A149-1. the A149-2 is great for random triggering of VCAs etc...
wetterberg
flts wrote:
For some reason, I've fallen in love with my Doepfer lowpass gate... It doesn't produce the same cool "ring" that Plan B does (at least not with the stock cheap vactrols, don't know if they have direct substitutes) but it's a very cool module and the addition of built in resonance means it makes a killer meaty lowpass filter.
People are going to lynch me, but I've heard direct A/B comparisons between the two, and I'd take the doepfer over the Plan B in a heartbeat.

My favourite module has to be the Quad AD.
MrDys
Another vote for the Quad AD. The Voltage Controlled Decay/Gate is also an incredibly useful module. Really snappy envelope, built-in comparitor for gate extraction, voltage control over the length. It even has an inverse gate output that, combined with the trigger, makes for some really interesting logic/sequencing things.
elemental
MrDys wrote:
Another vote for the Quad AD.

and the A-125 phaser. really cool sound smile
dougcl
I like the A-156 combined with the A-129-3
REwire
A-143-1 Quad AD/LFO
A-156 Quantizer
A-142 VC Decay
A-185-2 CV Adder
A-105 SSM filter
A-199 Reverb (with bigger tank)
R2M Ribbon Controller
A-178 Theremin
A-138c CV mixer
Soy Sos
My faves:
A-145 LFO - Goes from very slow to high audio rate and has retrigger!
A-188-1 1024 BBD - Gnarly! Not awesome for clean echoes but fun
for flanging and all kinds of nasty bits.
A-143-1 Complex EG/LFO - I haven't scratched the surface yet!
A-189-1 VBC - Fucking fucking nasty! All kinds of glitchy goodness here...

People dog out Doepfer, but that company is the reason I was able to
start to put a Euro system together. Sure other folks may make more
exotic modules and some are cleaner, but this stuff has high functionality
at a great price. I don't know if any designs were used in any disreputable
way or unauthorised but I for one support them. You can still achieve
great results. Not trying to start any shit here....

wink wink
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
in no particular order, and what I have experience with and own

there BBDs
spring reverb
frequency shifter
high end VCO
vactrol filter
Soy Sos
Oh yeah the A-101-1 VCF and -101-2 LPG
Really really useful!
Cat-A-Tonic
So far the R2M ribbon controller is my only experience with Doepfer.
I think it's great stock; very useful with the modular, softsynths, or controlling another keyboard.
I picked up Tellun's mod PCB for it AKA Sword of Kahless.
http://www.tellun.com/motm/diy/tln854/TLN-854.html
So it'll be getting a big upgrade someday that'll make it even better.
criticalmonkey
the wave multiplier - really enjoy it in lots of different places
flts
wetterberg wrote:
People are going to lynch me, but I've heard direct A/B comparisons between the two, and I'd take the doepfer over the Plan B in a heartbeat.

Yeah, they seem to be really different beasts even they're both "lowpass gates". Plan B sounds more like what I imagine the Buchla LPG would be like, Doepfer feels like a really awesome simple vactrol LPF but the lowpass + vca mode kicks ass in its own way as well. With a healthy amount of resonance dialed in, you get a nice attack that works perfectly with lots of percussive patches.

Next on my Doepfer list: the spring reverb. Would be seriously considering the quad AD but I'm building the dual 281 clone instead - the PCBs seem to be shipping in a few weeks which is nice. Oh, and I need to get some Doepfer 4HP utility stuff as well, and possibly the dual VCA.
Chuck E. Jesus
flts wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

Yeah, they seem to be really different beasts even they're both "lowpass gates". Plan B sounds more like what I imagine the Buchla LPG would be like, Doepfer feels like a really awesome simple vactrol LPF but the lowpass + vca mode kicks ass in its own way as well. With a healthy amount of resonance dialed in, you get a nice attack that works perfectly with lots of percussive patches.

Next on my Doepfer list: the spring reverb. Would be seriously considering the quad AD but I'm building the dual 281 clone instead - the PCBs seem to be shipping in a few weeks which is nice. Oh, and I need to get some Doepfer 4HP utility stuff as well, and possibly the dual VCA.

i'd really like to hear some comparison examples, simple bass lines or something to get an idea how they each sound....
flts
ross,

I don't have the Plan B LPG - yet at least, definitely planning to get one at some point. So unfortunately I can't post any comparison samples at this point.

I've just heard some individual samples and A/Bs. I think Nav had one at his modular pages. In addition to that, the Plan B is missing resonance (you can try to add some with a mixer and a VCA of course). I may be missing something but for all that I've heard, those are the differences I perceive.
felix
Quad AD (A-143-1 "Complex EG").
A-155 + 154 + 156 +151 combination.
Buckage
The 188-1 BBDs (i have the 128 and 4096) are cool.
The Vactoral Phaser 101-3 is another fave.
Dig the 196 phase lockd loop.
199 spring reverbs are a must for me. I have 2 of them, one with the little black tank they ship with and one that has a big 19" Accutronics spring.
Chuck E. Jesus
Buckage wrote:
The 188-1 BBDs (i have the 128 and 4096) are cool.
The Vactoral Phaser 101-3 is another fave.
Dig the 196 phase lockd loop.
199 spring reverbs are a must for me. I have 2 of them, one with the little black tank they ship with and one that has a big 19" Accutronics spring.

big PLL fan here...i'd love to hear the Vactrol Phaser in action, too rich for my blood...
Buckage
I'll post a clip but I've never done that on a messageboard. Anybody have a link to show me how?
Chuck E. Jesus
Buckage wrote:
I'll post a clip but I've never done that on a messageboard. Anybody have a link to show me how?

you can add an attachment to a post...scroll down to the bottom by "options", click on "add an attachment", browse for the file, add the file ...i think there is a post in the Announcements forum, but it's easy to figure out...
Buckage
MAN! I can't believe I didn't see that. Those Vulcan Modulator lights are making me go blind...

Here's a simple throaty sampling of the 101-3...

cwejman vco 2rm on the left channel and plan b m15 on the right...
vulcan modulator sine wave outputs going into the 101-3 cv inputs

I also patch in the m15 square wave output into the 12th stage's input on the phaser.

The two phaser outputs are going into a plan b m12 timbral gate... the 2nd half of the mp3 has the m12 alternating the amp on and off and then into the 2 different spring reverbs (199)
D/A A/D
For me in order:

A-101-2 LPG - Such a great filter and it can do some buchla tones - also a VCA with resonance??? Fogetaboutit!!!
A-172 Min/Max - I use this so much, works well in both AC and DC.
A-146 LFO 2 - Variable wave shapes are important to me, this one does a great job.

Alex
Karl Jeffers
The utility modules like the A-143-3 quad LFO and A-143-2 quad ADSR are alway's in use.
The A-188-1 4096 is very cool to. I must diy an anti-aliasing and reconstruction filter for it, mabe some pre and de-emphasis in it to, because then I don't have to use a vcf module for it.
I like the A-150 to, for audiorate switching of oscillator waveshapes.
The A-124 wasp filter has a nice sound to it.
The A-138c polarizing mixer is a module you can never have enough of.
But imo the best are the A-155/154/156 sequencer modules.
amnesia
I love

199 spring reverb
101-3 vactrol phaser
149-1 qantised random
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2