MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

TBC issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author TBC issue
nerdware
Ok, I just got my TBC. I had no trouble installing it, but I can't get a decent signal out of it. I checked all the obvious things: cables (power, sync, patching) and sources (one of them was actual test pattern - it was totally scrambled), nothing helped.

Before I do anything more radical, like take the VC out of the cab and test it with the TBC on their own, I wonder if there could be a problem with the module itself. There's a red led lit up on the board. Is that normal? Does it just mean the module is powered or does red mean there's a problem? Should it be green? This is my first and only experience with a TBC, so I have no idea. I only have experience of LEDs like this on things like computer motherboards, where it can definitely mean there's a problem, or on a PSU, where it just means "we have power."
nickciontea
red LED is powered up and good.

no visual feedback other than the red led.
i would double chek the sync. if its scrambled, but something is actually happening that could be it.. although i think with absolutely NO sync. it should just scroll horizontally. so a decoder may not be working. or maybe just corrupted sync is the issue..
hard to say from my stand-point
nerdware
Yeah, my first thought was sync. There's no scrolling, but there is a weird duplication of the input. I don't know what that indicates. Perhaps a memory fault in a frame buffer? I've no idea. I can't check for that, so I did something else. I thoroughly checked the sync cable. I have a TVI and Ramps working fine on it, but I removed them and put the TBC on same part of the sync cable. No change. I also moved the power cable. Could it be the power cable itself? I doubt it, but I've not yet tried replacing that.

This is a very weird thing. I called it an issue because I can't say where the problem is. I've used 3 different sources and verified that they're all good. The sync signals on the sync cable is good because the Ramps and TVI work just fine. BTW, I'm using PAL here. I've not used NTSC at all since I got the VC. Even if the TBC works with NTSC, that'll be no good to me. My main monitor only uses PAL. So it looks like my next step will be to move the VC, TBC and sync cable into a skiff, add a power module, and see how that works. That'll probably kill a few hours.

Thanks.
ebbflo
Curious about the results running only the cortex and tbc.
nerdware
Bad news: no change. This strongly suggests a fault in the TBC module.

Pre-TBC:

Post-TBC:
nerdware
Test video. The source was a P-10. Switching was done using a V-4. Same results on both TBC inputs.
ebbflo
Hmm, I had similar results with my tbc and it was a bad sync cable. The sync cable worked flawlessly with ramps, etc... but I had to try several slots on the sync cable to find a good one for the tbc.

Maybe not the same issue but the image you posted is the same stuff I was seeing before I made a new sync cable.
nerdware
Ok, I'll test that tomorrow. I'll need to pull out more modules for that, I think, as my main sync cable runs behind some other modules. This latest test was done using the mini-sync cable that came with the Ramps, so I've tested the TBC on 2 different cables, and several positions on the big cable.

Anyway, it's good to know this is likely a cable thing. Thanks.

The TVI and Ramps are lurking behind the skiff. lol

Of course I forgot to use the test pattern from the VGA downscaler. d'oh! I did use it yesterday, honest. The result was so ghastly, I've accidently spared you that horror. Maybe that's why I forgot, eh?
nerdware

More bad news: I've tried every position on the sync cable. if there's a problem with the cable, then every position is bad. I think I should return this module for a refund and wait for the new version with the composite sync. Less hassle. Sure, I could order another sync cable, but I'm sure now that I don't want a module that is dependant on a cable that is less reliable and harder to replace than a composite cable. DO NOT WANT.
nickciontea
you already have composite terminals on the back of your module.

its not worth a return, it just needs a repair if anything. just need to contact LZX. i have 4 TBCs, i personally wouldn't trade the sync cable for anything. composite cables suck , and i dont want anything more bulky hanging off the back of the deepest lzx module existing..

just my opinion, its likely a cold solder joint.. look over solder joints on the headers and maybe elsewhere. my original logic module was missing one pin worth of solder and was useless without it.

the problem is not your sync cable. sync cables are just ribbon cables. which every module you own is powered off of. so they are reliable and you will never get away from them..
nerdware
No composite sockets on the back. I can't fix that. I can't DIY. I have a line in my sig stating this because so many wigglers assume I can DIY. I'm assuming you can't see it, so I'm explaining it here. All I can do is return the module. If I'm going to send it over the Atlantic, it'll be for a refund, not repair.
nickciontea
nerdware wrote:
No composite sockets on the back. I can't fix that. I can't DIY. I have a line in my sig stating this because so many wigglers assume I can DIY. I'm assuming you can't see it, so I'm explaining it here. All I can do is return the module. If I'm going to send it over the Atlantic, it'll be for a refund, not repair.

Dead Banana
nerdware
nickciontea wrote:
nerdware wrote:

Dead Banana

Yeah, that sums up how I feel about this. On the positive side, Lars has confirmed that this is a fault in the module, not the cable. Apparently it's not the only one, and he's not happy about it either. So I'll send the module back and consider my options: replacement or refund. The replacement option is looking a lot better now.
nerdware
I got the TBC back today and it's working perfectly now. Excellent support, Lars. Many thanks. thumbs up applause w00t
monads
Glad it got sorted nerdware! Lars is awesome with support, I had an issue with the Mapper module damaged in shipment and got it resolved asap. What ended up needing repair with the TBC, was it a cold solder joint after all??
nerdware
I don't know what the problem was. Lars didn't say and I didn't ask. I'm just happy to get a working module. hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1