MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Working on a new sequencer (Serge 4U)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Working on a new sequencer (Serge 4U)
fonik
Here is something i have in the works. Will most likely become a random*source module at some point.

This is an improved version of a DIY-sequencer i published years ago, now with more features like latch (pattern load) and optional s/h for the CV output.

The Disquiet
love love love love love
Rigo
Better take this into account when making a case for my 4U stuff hihi
snaper
Awesome looking module and a big +1 for the small ATAT like figure.
Love the imperial walkers and LEGO as well grin
jam457
whoa! looks cool! what do you mean by pattern load exactly? I can see the patterns changing in the video but dont totally understand the saving/loading mechanism?

Anyways looks cool!
fonik
the modul is basically an 8-step sequencer combined with a ADC.
for each step there is a switch with the positions ON, OFF, and ADC.

so what does the ADC do now? it converts any incoming 0-5V CV to an 8-bit code. the 8 bits correspond with the 8 steps.
so the status of the 1st bit controlls the 1st step, the 2nd bit the 2nd step and so forth.
i.e. an incoming voltage could result in the following code: IIOIIOII
if all 8 steps were set to ADC the steps 1,2,4,5,7,8 would be ON
however, the manual switch can overwrite the status (ON, OFF, ADC).
this way you could address all possible 254 patterns with CV.
the ADC works permanently with a very high freq (hundrets MHz) and converts the CV permanently to a bit code.
now the latch circuit is used to keep a given pattern at any given time.

clear as mud?
jam457
actually yes that is amazingly clear thanks for the cool description!

This sounds like an interesting idea to add some crazy variety to the sequence especially with a modulation signal going to the input or some other changing signal...

Also thinking of how this could be used with my sequencer/programmer to create some really varied complex sequences!

Anyways thanks Matthias really cool module! Cant wait! smile nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
Rigo
Rigo wrote:
Better take this into account when making a case for my 4U stuff hihi

Hmm ... maybe I should do +1 ?
fonik
jam457 wrote:
This sounds like an interesting idea to add some crazy variety to the sequence especially with a modulation signal going to the input or some other changing signal...

Also thinking of how this could be used with my sequencer/programmer to create some really varied complex sequences!

it works at audio speeds as well (not the trigger out, though). so you could use it as slave graphic VCO, or for kind of bit-crushing alike FX.
J3RK
This is looking like a lot of fun! I've thought about doing an voltage-addressable sequencer as well in the past. Never got around to it. Very cool!
fonik
yep, the first version of PCBs for DIY was published in 2009:

wink
Rigo
How's this one going ?
I was looking at my Euro modular and realized that I should still get rid of 1 more meter of modules. One of the modules that could go is the Euro ADC sequencer ... but only after I get a replacement hihi
a100user
Hey Matthias,

Will this 4U be produced as a ready built product?
fonik
thank you for the interest.

the 4U market is a difficult one. even though the random*source Serge modules outperform any other available Serge, the 4U is more of a hobby still. The sales might pay for the cost, but not for the time invested in R&D yet.

this sequenceer might go in production when we see a general turn of tides in the 4U market. it make sno sense to pile up 50pcs in the basement.
i could manually build a few if only had not my arm in plaster. however, these would be kind of one-offs where the front panels would not fit the R*S optics.

currently i am trying to get the eurorack DIY prototype to work. i made a few changes and obviously i did something wrong, hehe.
Grumble
fonik wrote:
the ADC works permanently with a very high freq (hundrets MHz)

Are you sure? eek!
Rigo
fonik wrote:
currently i am trying to get the eurorack DIY prototype to work

PCB/component PCB/panel combination as usual, with the PCB also usable for a 4U derivative ?
But anyway, fix your arm first thumbs up
fonik
Grumble wrote:
fonik wrote:
the ADC works permanently with a very high freq (hundrets MHz)

Are you sure? eek!

hihi

hundrets KHz, of course!
Rigo
So how's the arm doing ?
fonik
thanks for asking. not that well.
but even worse, i made a new schematic/design incorporating all new features for eurorack, and it is not working. i actually wanted to have the new eurorack version as basis for a 4U version.
but even if i would design PCBs for 4U using the current set-up it would not be clear when the sequencer could be realized. the 4U market is difficult.
Rigo
I hope the new year brought you improvements to your arm ...
fonik
thanks for asking, Rigo.
it did, but that did not bring the new eurorack PCBs any further.

if you wanted an one-off 4x4 module you could PM me and discuss.
Rigo
I'm not in a hurry; if you need the Euro PCB for the 4U version as well I will just have to wait. Wouldn't say no to a one-off though hihi
FatRocky
IS this module going to be available in 4u one day? or pcb-panels?

seems to be the perfect friend for any sequencer programmer
djs
Not exactly the same but the gated comparator piece of the CGS SWAMP panel would probably be pretty close to it
FatRocky
djs wrote:
Not exactly the same but the gated comparator piece of the CGS SWAMP panel would probably be pretty close to it

I thought the gated comparator was more of a shift register module..... is this module a shift register?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2