DNGR:TECH 12UFO Eurorack Portable Case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

DNGR:TECH 12UFO Eurorack Portable Case

Post by funkyjunky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:05 am

Hello everyone!

I am honored to proudly announce our brand - "Dangerous Technologies" or DNGR:TECH and our first product - Eurorack 12U Portable Case named "12UFO":

I've been designing the case since September'15 in professional CAD software and put all my engineer knowledge altogether to make it sturdy and reliable. I've programmed different simulation scenarios in CAD software to make the design scientifically precise. For example, handle placement on the top of the case or stand placement and material thickness used for stand manufacture - CAD simulation analysis has been used for calculation and decision making:

Handle material deformation simulation study

Old stand version simulation study

Handle placement simulation study

Regarding the case hardware - I spent decent time sourcing components all over the globe and hope you'll like my taste.

Small-batch test scale production of our portable 12U cases has been already finished. All cases have found their owners, positive feedback has been received as well.

DNGR:TECH eurorack cases are carefully assembled by hand from the highest quality of materials, and are symbolized by minimalist aesthetics to bringing focus solely on sound design – hidden screws and simple straight lines combined with the raw natural wood are the key elements in the design. Also, it is worth mentioning that DNGR:TECH cases are not just great looking – they combine high level of exterior protection as well, though you shouldn't throw it or perform fall tests :) Soft case protection is currently in development.

DNGR:TECH cases are Zen Philosophy inspired, hand built and are brought to this world for your happiness and joy.

Case Specification

104hp x 4 rows (12U).

- Length: 570 mm (22.44 in)
- Width: 315 mm (12.40 in)
- Height: 235 mm (9.25 in)
SUM dimensions = 1120 mm (44.09 in)

LED strip installed in lid - great for dark places and clubs - no need in external lamp.

Allowable module depth:
1) Base: <59.5 mm (2.34 in) on rows without the power distribution board behind.
2) Lid: <77.6 mm (3.06 in) on rows without the power distribution board behind.

Busboard consumes 10-15 mm depending on the model. Makenoise PowerBus consumes about 13 mm of allowable module depth.

Weight without modules: 7-7.5 kg (depending on wood).

Case can save a patch while closed.

Clearance above rails when case is closed (for saving a patch inside): 83 mm (3.27 in).

Detachable steel stand that allows two opened lid positions: 100° and 120°.

Meets most Airplane carry on requirements but should be double checked before boarding.

Rails with Sliding Nuts. 30 M3 nuts per rail are included. 240 M3x6 (standard) screws may be included on demand as well.

Removable lid - case can be split in two independent cases.

Spring washers prevents loosening and provide reliable connections of all external hardware such as handles, feets and toggle latches.

Metal threaded inserts ensures a strong, resistant and reliable thread in wood allowing multiple case maintenance procedures and wood side panels replacement.

Power Options

Currently we are using this high voltage power supply solution:
03.01.2017 UPDATE: This PSU is end-of-sale!

It accepts 110-220v and regulates it to +12v 1.4A, -12v 1.4A and +5v. Basically it is a doepfer PSU3 clone with integrated noise filtering busboard. Our psu is using the same voltage regulators as in new Doepfer PSU-3 - a pair of Meanwell IRM-20-15.

The major issue with this power supply - we cannot ship cases with this power supply installed since according to USA/EU local legislation high voltage power supply sources must be imported with a certificate of compliance of different regulations. We sent one case to our friend in Italy and it was rather terrifying waiting for the successful shipment since we didn't know whether EU customs will open the box and examine the details of the package or not.

This is why we are currently designing our brand new low-voltage power supply which will be powered by a simple wall-wart all over the globe, like make noise power board. We plan to finish it in one month. I will post update when it will be ready and tested for a large scale production.

Also there is power supply available from our friends and partners - www.motovilo.com:

It costs $135 for power supply board + two noise filtering bosboards. So for 12UFO case two of these are needed.
A pair of external power bricks for this type of power solution is required to be purchased by a customer separately (DC 60W 15V), so please take this into account. Any wall wart notebook type power supply with the same specification (60W, 15V) will fit fine. We recommend this power brick: Mean Well GS60A15-P1J. But any good brand standard DC 15V 60W (center positive 2.1*5.5 mm plug type) will fit. I will provide support on picking correct power bricks in customer's origin country on customer's request if needed.
Motovilo power solution specification is as follows: +12v @ 2A, -12v @ 1A, Onboard VGreg provides +5v from +12v bus. So for a 12UFO case it would be +12v @ 4A, -12v @ 2A.
The power has already been tested and gained positive feedback from musicians and producers.
This power solution is available right now.

Price

$600 UNPOWERED.
Price for the powered version will be announced later. We are aiming at $800.

December'16 UPDATE: due to high demand the price tag is now $700 for unpowered cases. All paid orders will be completed without a price increase. All the new orders are subject to the new price tag.

Powered cases are now $970. Power solution is made by www.motovilo.com

12UFO User Guide - https://www.dngr.tech/wp-content/upload ... e-v1.2.pdf

Social Support and Contacts

If you like our case please follow us in the social networks - like and subscribe to our facebook page www.facebook.com/dngr.tech to be informed what's going on with the development, new case models and other information.
For any other information please fill free to write facebook private message on our page or send us email to info@dngr.tech.
Our website is accessible via this link - http://dngr.tech.
Instagram: www.instagram.com/dngr.tech/

Thank you for your attention, please fill free to ask any questions and/or provide your feedback.
Last edited by funkyjunky on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:57 am, edited 14 times in total.

whodunnit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by whodunnit » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:35 am

Ffs, I just bought a Masonmack 6U126HP.

This is sexy

phosfiend
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phosfiend » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:10 am

Is there a new batch ready to go? Looking great! Are there two kickstand styles, as there seem to be two different upright angles.
I made a videogame inspired by synths called FRACT OSC. It's like Myst meets Rez but inside a giant 8 voice synth - WWW.FRACTGAME.COM

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:13 am

My goodness that's cheap!
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:55 am

phosfiend wrote:Is there a new batch ready to go? Looking great!
Yes, I am updating the technical design a bit according to received feedback from my clients and making small improvements with materials and hardware in order to reduce some weight. Visually the changes will not be noticeable but those improvements are important for me since I pay a lot of attention even to small details. New updated improved batch will be out in 2-3 weeks or so.
phosfiend wrote:Are there two kickstand styles, as there seem to be two different upright angles.
You are absolutely right - there are two positions you can fix the lid of the case - 100° and 120° relative to the table. I spent a lot of time finding correct, user friendly and compat multi poisiton stand technical design and proud of what we have to offer now.

120° position:

100° position:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:00 am

Nice design. Eye-poppingly good price, if you can hit it.

Does the LED strip have a dimmer?

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Nice design. Eye-poppingly good price, if you can hit it.
The price already been hit :)
We sold a few cases from the starting batch for this price (plus $200 for two power bus boards) and people were happy :)
mdoudoroff wrote:Does the LED strip have a dimmer?
I tested a few simple led dimmers on my breadboard and already designed PCB in Eagle CAD for the chosen design. Currently I am deciding the place for the pcb and dimmer potentiometer. Can't promise led dimmer will be available on the next batch but we plan to add it sooner or later, work in progress.

WIZARDISHUNGRY
Common Wiggler

Post by WIZARDISHUNGRY » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am

This is hitting all my requirements. I wish I was in the market for a case now. The only (minor) criticism that I have is that I hate having the mains power connectors in the rails area. I understand why you did this, but I want my precious hp!

metalbox
Common Wiggler

Post by metalbox » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 am

she's a beauty

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:21 am

WIZARDISHUNGRY wrote:This is hitting all my requirements. I wish I was in the market for a case now. The only (minor) criticism that I have is that I hate having the mains power connectors in the rails area. I understand why you did this, but I want my precious hp!
You're right, criticism totally accepted. Initially I was trying to make the side panels as clean as possible, as you may see I achieved this - no any screws or connectors. But people hate loosing their HP so with the new power I am going to remove the front panel and place DC connector, LED dimmer controls and power switches to the side panels like monorocket case. Hope this will not disturb the minimalism aesthetics.

WIZARDISHUNGRY
Common Wiggler

Post by WIZARDISHUNGRY » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:25 am

BLESS YOU.

resonaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by resonaut » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm

This is awesome, 99% my next case

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Great price...this is really great looking

Jalopy
Common Wiggler

Post by Jalopy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Looking great - will be in the market in the near future and this is certainly shortlisted...

tthogs
Common Wiggler

Post by tthogs » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:53 am

I am in the market for a new case. This is perfect. Fantastic design and very reasonable price. Following on socials. Thank you. :nana:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Very nice! Liking the look of that a lot. :party:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Looks sharp!

BlueWolfSe7en
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlueWolfSe7en » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:50 am

That's really nice man, distinctive aesthetic, quality build, attention to detail, led strip :tu:
Strange Beautiful Machines

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:24 am

metalbox, resonaut, hawkfuzz, Jalopy, tthogs, ben_hex, JohnLRice and BlueWolfSe7en

Thank you so much for your kind words and positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:45 am

Hand made, at that price?
Expect to be avalanched...

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:52 am

Shipped from where?

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am

paults wrote:Shipped from where?
Hi! Thank you for your interest. Shipping is from Moscow, Russia. Local low labor costs allows us to keep the price so tasty for fellow wigglers :)
Shipping is $60 worldwide, payment via paypal with full buyer's protection.

hez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hez » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:26 pm

These look beautiful, and the price point is even better.

How plausible would a 14u version be with an extra 1u row on both sides? I was getting rather excited by the Birdkids Control Bus and looking for cases with 1u rows... if I could somehow get that in one of these that would be about as a perfect as a case could get!

Phoenix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phoenix » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:36 pm

cool flight case!

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:44 pm

hez wrote:These look beautiful, and the price point is even better.

How plausible would a 14u version be with an extra 1u row on both sides? I was getting rather excited by the Birdkids Control Bus and looking for cases with 1u rows... if I could somehow get that in one of these that would be about as a perfect as a case could get!
Thank you for the kind words, the price is really what makes the case affordable.
I am not planning to launch a 7U version in near future. I am going to focus solely on manufacturing next batch of cases and current 12U model improvements. There are plans for 6U model and maybe 3U model with the same sturdy and practical design and affordable price.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”