MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announce Thread: Magpie Modular - uBraids - Braids in 8 HP.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author Announce Thread: Magpie Modular - uBraids - Braids in 8 HP.
phidelity
Hello Everyone
I'm happy to announce that I've managed to get this project in a decent enough shape to share it publicly.

It's a derivative of the Mutable Instruments Braids module where we shrunk down the footprint to half of the original (a miniature 8HP) and added a OLED and atmega chip to drive it. It functions, flashes, operates the same as a regular Braids so you can put whatever firmware you like on it including Tim Churches Bees in the Trees.

For now we are offering PCBs & Panels on our store page

Our Github Page for this project (which I am populating as I go) is at
uBraids Github
I will be uploading a complete BOM, a more fleshed out build guide, schematics and diptrace file in the near future.

Im using the project page & Github as the main repository for information but I will try to answer questions here.

thelizard
Whoa! That's amazing. Awesome idea, and for sure something I'll look into building.
GryphonP3
Wooooo been waiting for this for a while! Glad to see its finally happening SlayerBadger! 2x ordered
DMR
This is neat, should power consumption be the same / about the same?
phidelity
DMR wrote:
This is neat, should power consumption be the same / about the same?

It will be braids plus the draw of the OLED which according to adafruit is:

"Display current draw is completely dependent on your usage: each OLED LED draws current when on so the more pixels you have lit, the more current is used. They tend to draw ~15mA or so in practice but for precise numbers you must measure the current in your usage circuit."
EATyourGUITAR
adafruit can't give us specs for white screen!? pish posh this is a bugger
phidelity
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
adafruit can't give us specs for white screen!? pish posh this is a bugger

this is bad yelp review or write your senator worthy!
forbin
Like the display and panel.

I did have a look at your display INO... is your plan to use the Braids code without modification and get the AVR to pretend to be LED displays?
ignatius
this looks great. saw it today. super excited. oleds are great.
phidelity
forbin wrote:
Like the display and panel.

I did have a look at your display INO... is your plan to use the Braids code without modification and get the AVR to pretend to be LED displays?

yeah, it's a creative/primitive duct tape and efficient cutting of corners to achieve the end goal.

I can think of a number of better ideal situations but many of them require creating a non backwards compatiable fork of the braids code in order to make it happen. For now - its no worse than the original and Im open to improvements razz
Crashlander42
I ordered two as soon as I saw you put these up, really looking forward to building these.
diablojoy
sorely tempted
Never maintain cash savings again
emilio.pozzolini
Amazing!
I'm considering to swap my 2 braids for these!
atte
That looks like fun, ordered a set w00t
ambrohski
Whoa, this looks great! thumbs up

The first in a series of shrunken MI, I hope?
halandorin
I'm definitely going to have to build this!
auxren
Any videos of how the menu diving looks?
Timmy
auxren wrote:

Exactly the same as Braids - the OLED display is just emulating the 4 character LED display on Braids, at least as it stands. Firmware changes to make better use of the OLED would be possible if someone wants to take on the project.
auxren
Timmy wrote:
auxren wrote:

Exactly the same as Braids - the OLED display is just emulating the 4 character LED display on Braids.

Gotcha. That is just for now... I'll work on making it so the OLED shows more once I build up the modules.
Zymos
Next can you make micro Elements?
bpcmusic
Fantastic! Ordered a handful. Can't wait for the BOM; hopefully there are mouser part #s (or equiv) for everything to save hunting...

Love the creative use of the OLED replacement; it is perfect that you kept the core MI firmware AS-IS. Kudos for clever hackery! smile

b
diablojoy
Quote:
Fantastic! Ordered a handful. Can't wait for the BOM; hopefully there are mouser part #s (or equiv) for everything to save hunting...

there is a mouser BOM on the magpie site near the bottom of the page don't know just how complete it is - does not include the OLED but that is hardly surprising

oh and yes I ordered one as well Dead Banana
atte
Timmy wrote:
auxren wrote:

Exactly the same as Braids - the OLED display is just emulating the 4 character LED display on Braids, at least as it stands. Firmware changes to make better use of the OLED would be possible if someone wants to take on the project.

As far as I understand, the whole point of this is to not fork the firmware, but to have uBraids 100% compatible softwarwise to MI braids.
latigid on
atte wrote:
Timmy wrote:
auxren wrote:

As far as I understand, the whole point of this is to not fork the firmware, but to have uBraids 100% compatible softwarwise to MI braids.

No problem, the OLED runs off its own MCU.
atte
Ok, but wouldn't " make better use of the oled" imply changing things in the braids firmware, hence breaking compatibility?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 1 of 25