MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

LZX Cyclops - EuroRack Laser Projector Interface Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Cyclops - EuroRack Laser Projector Interface Module
ignatius
Frickin Laser beams!!

Quote:
Modules used include (1) LZX Industries Cyclops, (3) Doepfer A-143-9 Quadrature VCLFO and (1) Doepfer A-132-3 Dual VCA. Cyclops ILDA output is connected to a TTL RGB laser projector. Stereo audio recorded is the same signal being sent to X & Y inputs on Cyclops. Cyclops from LZX Industries is available now from EuroRack retailers.

Cata
Sooooo dope.

Now I just need to figure out how lasers work hmmm.....
waveglider
And you can do this too!

SOFTWIRE
WANT! I've wanted one since i saw i think another company demo a prototype at NAMM 2 years ago. Can't remember who was working on it. The huge cost of lasers i think was a turn off for most people to get one though.

You can get some pretty powerful handheld laser pointers and i really dont see why we cant some up with a dual mirror systems with an electro magnet to move the mirror surface/s. Or a single mirror glued to a piece of metal with a center pivot ball and 2 electro magnet linear actuators with return springs for x/y.
ignatius
the demo in the OP is a little laser. not sure how spendy they are.. no idea really. but the interface module plugs right into.. couldn't be more simple.

here's the info from the youtube:

Quote:
Modules used include (1) LZX Industries Cyclops, (3) Doepfer A-143-9 Quadrature VCLFO and (1) Doepfer A-132-3 Dual VCA. Cyclops ILDA output is connected to a TTL RGB laser projector. Stereo audio recorded is the same signal being sent to X & Y inputs on Cyclops. Cyclops from LZX Industries is available now from EuroRack retailers.
makers
An LZX Facebook post says the laser used in the demo was around $300
waveglider
You can find really cheap low powered ones on eBay for around $300, but they will only have TTL control for color and that limits you to 8 colors. More expensive projectors have analog RGB inputs that can take full advantage of the Cyclops ability to take CV as a modulation source for color.

SOFTWIRE wrote:

You can get some pretty powerful handheld laser pointers and i really dont see why we cant some up with a dual mirror systems with an electro magnet to move the mirror surface/s. Or a single mirror glued to a piece of metal with a center pivot ball and 2 electro magnet linear actuators with return springs for x/y.

You really don't want to reinvent the wheel here, there is too much precision engineering and fabrication involved to make a decent scanner. There are a good number of cheap scanner sets you can buy for a couple hundred bucks (used to be over $1k years ago)
eth
Are we gonna need a laser sub-subforum soon? hihi Here's a handy guide to lasers for anyone curious. I have no background or experience with lasers; simply an intrigued noob!

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm
makers
Hmm. Reading more about laser safety and regulation in the U.S. Looks like my application will be more for personal experimentation and video recording. I was really excited about this for live performance and imagined projecting on a ceiling. But don't see how that's going to work safely for small shows/venues.

Waveguider, is that your Vimeo account? Do you have laser exerience and have anything to offer on the safety perspective?
monads
I'm intrigued by the Cyclops and laser potentials....but the safety concerns and compatible laser/projector to use hold me back. What would help would be a list of lasers (advanced/minimal) that works (won't be damaged by Cyclops) and not cause any safety concerns. Am I alone in this regard? Anyone have suggestions???
wednesdayayay
yeah something for personal and something for professional list wise would be great

maybe I'm being naive in thinking that any laser that would work in this context would be easy/safe to use

oh can someone with a cyclops and laser module fo some froggin' laser feedback already?

imagine two cyclops where one was doing the feedback stuff overtop of the other

or perhaps at a right angle

could you make somewhat 3D shapes with two cyclops'd lasers

fun stuff
goldenliustra
After reading stuff like this – http://adrsoundsense.co.uk/lasersafetyclubs.html, afaics, main concern is not to project the beam onto the audience Dead Banana

You probably won't burn anyone, but I guess it's easy to catch someone's sight. It would be nice to hear some active laser-users sharing their experience!
waveglider
Yes there is Federal regulation on projecting lasers in public. The governing body is called the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) and you need to apply for a variance (permit) to operate lasers over 5mw in public spaces. There are more stringent restrictions placed on lasers that project towards an audience versus projecting on a wall where you can control how close people can get to a direct beam.

I don't do laser shows professionally but I do own a laser projector I bought from China that is a clone of a high end model but is not CDRH certified to operate in public (you AND your gear have to be compliant) so I keep it in my studio to work out patches on my wall.

I have a local friend who does user shows professionally and has a variance. When I go out, I use his projectors, and he comes along as my Laser Safety Officer, makes sure I have things set up properly and hangs out while I run my patch.
makers
Thanks Waveglider, very helpful. How big are these venues where you show your work?
alnitak
That's very cool. Been looking forward to seeing the output of a modular system to a laser projector. Looking forward to seeing more!
Dirty_Bill
Hers' the ILDA's page:

Laser Show Safety
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1