MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where to start?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Where to start?
Chann3l
I produce drum and bass and dubstep and currently I design all my sounds on my eurorack setup and sequence and record, then process through FL studio. I want to look at doing a live performance but I'm not really sure where to start. Was wondering if I could get some pointers from some of you that also work with a combination of eurorack and daw. Does it sound feasible to patch say just the main bass lines live with drums and everything else pre recorded? I just am really not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
chaosick
Chann3l wrote:
I produce drum and bass and dubstep and currently I design all my sounds on my eurorack setup and sequence and record, then process through FL studio. I want to look at doing a live performance but I'm not really sure where to start. Was wondering if I could get some pointers from some of you that also work with a combination of eurorack and daw. Does it sound feasible to patch say just the main bass lines live with drums and everything else pre recorded? I just am really not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would say experiment as much as possible while practicing, and add in the parts that you think you can hit solidly but still make dynamic. For myself, I've played guitar for many years, so what I'm thinking about and trying to do are presenting the main synth parts--some on the fly, some pre-recorded, but playing "live" and improvising primarily on guitar, most likely. In terms of # of hands and time available, you can only change so many things at once. There's a reason most really great electronic artists don't create most of their sounds live at shows, they are really just DJing more or less.
Chann3l
chaosick wrote:
Chann3l wrote:

I would say experiment as much as possible while practicing, and add in the parts that you think you can hit solidly but still make dynamic. For myself, I've played guitar for many years, so what I'm thinking about and trying to do are presenting the main synth parts--some on the fly, some pre-recorded, but playing "live" and improvising primarily on guitar, most likely. In terms of # of hands and time available, you can only change so many things at once. There's a reason most really great electronic artists don't create most of their sounds live at shows, they are really just DJing more or less.

Thanks for the advice grin I'll get experimenting haha.
Astrolabe23
I have played many shows over the years and the one thing that I have learned is that the best performances are the ones that are fun for me on stage. Let's face it, if you are recreating tracks that you have made in the studio, the audience is going to hear a mix of prerecorded and live parts. If the live parts that you do are super complex and stressful or too many at one time then it's not fun. Pick the parts that are fun play. Save the filter sweep at the break for a live knob turn. You don't have to play it all live but if you are enjoying the live interaction that you are having with your instruments and equipment it will feel more like a live show.
Chann3l
Astrolabe23 wrote:
I have played many shows over the years and the one thing that I have learned is that the best performances are the ones that are fun for me on stage. Let's face it, if you are recreating tracks that you have made in the studio, the audience is going to hear a mix of prerecorded and live parts. If the live parts that you do are super complex and stressful or too many at one time then it's not fun. Pick the parts that are fun play. Save the filter sweep at the break for a live knob turn. You don't have to play it all live but if you are enjoying the live interaction that you are having with your instruments and equipment it will feel more like a live show.

Thanks that's great advice! Most of the bass I do would probably be too stressful to recreate live, way to much processing is required but I guess I could do leads or filter sweeps and other less intensive fun things live.
The Fall People
We have been facing the same challenges.

Previously we only performed the ethnic acoustic instruments live and just used triggers/launch pad for elements here and there live. It was safe and sounded great and meant we could focus melody with the acoustic side. Same for live framedrum percussion.

But as a synth person I wanted to get away from strings and back to synths more. So we have been trying out ideas. Here are a few that have worked.

1. Laptop running Ableton for primary backing, things I would need six keyboard players and percussionists to do. We use live synths to play the interesting melodies, solo parts and fun bits on faster tracks. Usually two or more stand alone synths, but now adding modular for drones and atmospheres.
This is very low risk, looks active and fun and sounds great. But sound checks have to be dead on in order to balance the mix well.

2. Drone/Ambient we are now moving towards modular for this live. O-coast and new Lifeforms SV-1 form the foundation ambience with Beatstep Pro or Ableton driving. Then we can switch between live ethnic instruments and playing our Morpho SE, Nord 4, Arp as melodic lines and leads. For smaller shows we just bring the Morpho and a Minilogue and get on very well with that.

Hopefully as our Modular expands we will take more risks. But for now these are safe solutions we trust.
jpkelley123
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm Post subject:

Quote:
1. Laptop running Ableton for primary backing, things I would need six keyboard players and percussionists to do. We use live synths to play the interesting melodies, solo parts and fun bits on faster tracks. Usually two or more stand alone synths, but now adding modular for drones and atmospheres.
This is very low risk, looks active and fun and sounds great. But sound checks have to be dead on in order to balance the mix well.

2. Drone/Ambient we are now moving towards modular for this live. O-coast and new Lifeforms SV-1 form the foundation ambience with Beatstep Pro or Ableton driving. Then we can switch between live ethnic instruments and playing our Morpho SE, Nord 4, Arp as melodic lines and leads. For smaller shows we just bring the Morpho and a Minilogue and get on very well with that.
Nice!
R.U.Nuts
1. Compose your tracks with live performance in mind. Look how rock and roll bands do it. They don't sit at their laptop at home and think about wether to put some string orchestra part here ir there. They just bang away on their instruments in the rehearsal room and make tracks out of the interesting parts. They write their songs in a live situation and this way the songs are instantly ready for the stage.

2. Rework your older tracks in a way that you simplify them for live performance. Take away the parts that don't play a key tole and observe wether the track still works without them. Or replace them with elements that are easy to recreate in a live situation.
hairychris
R.U.Nuts wrote:
1. Compose your tracks with live performance in mind. Look how rock and roll bands do it. They don't sit at their laptop at home and think about wether to put some string orchestra part here ir there. They just bang away on their instruments in the rehearsal room and make tracks out of the interesting parts. They write their songs in a live situation and this way the songs are instantly ready for the stage.

Agreed. The songwriting dynamic with a band is usually very different to electronic production, in a lot of ways it's done the other way round. As a guitarist/bassist/band-member, we get the song ready to go live, and then try to work out the best way to record it - change parts, change equipment, whatever, as the recorded sound is very different to a live environment.

There are exceptions, for sure - there are plenty of "virtual" bands where members record & write remotely, only getting together to rehearse for tours/etc.

Reverse-engineering produced musing to work in a live environment is an interesting challenge! One thing to note is that you can usually be a bit looser with your live playing as you get a vibe going with other people in the room. All that I can say is that you need to practise in an "as live" environment and really get to know your gear as you can't be thinking about "how to do x" in real time.

R.U.Nuts wrote:
2. Rework your older tracks in a way that you simplify them for live performance. Take away the parts that don't play a key tole and observe wether the track still works without them. Or replace them with elements that are easy to recreate in a live situation.

Or just go down the Aaron Funk/Venetian Snares path. Saw a live set of his earlier this year and let's just say that it wasn't his greatest hits... or even dance-able to! Mr. Green
R.U.Nuts
hairychris wrote:

you can usually be a bit looser with your live playing

I dare to say you should definitely do so. It's boring to watch a liveact that reproduces it's studio recordings on stage. With an electronic act this can even sound like they're playing full-on playback even if they're not.

hairychris wrote:

Or just go down the Aaron Funk/Venetian Snares path. Saw a live set of his earlier this year and let's just say that it wasn't his greatest hits... or even dance-able to! Mr. Green

...Yeah, why not. Rockin' Banana!
Willowhaus
Good stuff - it's heartening to hear the responses advocating live feel & looseness with electronic music!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1