MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modcan VCDO waves and info
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Modcan VCDO waves and info
ATOM
Info:
http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/vcdo/index.html

Modcan VCDO waves:

Sine
This uses the same sine calculation found in the FM computations and provides the purest sounding tone of all those available in the VCDO.

Triangle
This is a computed waveform that generates the classic triangle waveshape.

Wave 1 - 10

Saw
This is a computed waveform that generates the classic sawtooth waveshape.

PWM/Square
This is a computed pulse waveform with the pulse width defined by the PWM/AM CV and front-panel knob.
Because the PWM/AM CV controls pulse width for this waveform, the AM function is fixed at its maximum positive value.

PWM/Double Pulse
This is a computed pulse waveform consisting of a positive and negative pulse, symmetrically spaced.
The pulse width is defined by the PWM/AM CV and front-panel knob.
Because the PWM/AM CV controls pulse width for this waveform, the AM function is fixed at its maximum positive value.

Noise
This is a pseudo-random noise waveform clocked at the NCO frequency.
It has several unique characteristics: When the FM Ratio is set to 0, it generates a stepped random voltage.
Other settings of FM Ratio generate a linear-interpolation between the random voltages which can be distorted with the FM Ratio and Index CVs, resulting in interesting timber variations.

ATOM
ATOM
More info on the VCDO

Quote:
From the Modcan.yahoo.group:

"Noise: This is a pseudo-random noise waveform
clocked at the NCO frequency."

Will the SYNC have any effect on the noise waveform?

ATOM

Tom,

Good question.

Short answer: It can.

Long answer: Sync resets the NCO phase to 0. NCO phase
affects the Noise source in several ways.

* The noise source generates a new value when the NCO
wraps. If the Sync frequency is higher than the NCO
frequency, it will never wrap and the noise source
will never generate a new value.

* When not in step mode (FM Ratio > 0), the noise
source interpolation is controlled by the NCO phase,
so sync will alter the interpolation.

Taken together, these details might allow some
additional interesting waveforms to be generated.

Eric

ATOM
parasitk
Thanks for the info. This is definitely a cool module!
sandyb
thanks ATOM - useful information there.

For those interested in this type of module note that Modcan also have a Dual VDO in their lineup which has similarities, and some differences to the VCDO.

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/dualvdo.html

here's a bit of what it says on the Modcan site:

"The Dual VDO is a digital, dual numerically controlled oscillator (NCO). Similar in design to the VCDO but without the internal FM capabilities.

Dual VDO Features:

180 single cycle waves that can be loaded into the A and B oscillators and blended together to form complex wave shapes. The two oscillators can be detuned against each other to produce gradually evolving sounds that beat against each other or set to intervals, 3rds, 5ths, Octaves etc. for added thickening.
The ability to combine two distinct wave shapes produces a huge variety of tonal possibility that is not available with a standard single oscillator. The Blend control is not just a simple mixer, but is actually a morph function that performs a mathematical linear interpolation between the two waves to produce a third new wave. Wave sequencing is also possible for each oscillator with independent CV control."

Bruce at Modcan "talked" me into one of these as well - i'll be posting copious soundclips when it arrives.

sandy
parasitk
And it can be FMed, just not by itself, right?
sandyb
parasitk wrote:
And it can be FMed, just not by itself, right?

afaik yes - you'd need another oscillator to plug into the Expo FM input.
Roycie Roller
Thanks for the info & the mp3's. The mp3's confirmed for me what to expect from the VCDO, there's some very diverse sounds there.
Kwote
ATOM wrote:
Info:
http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/vcdo/index.html

Modcan VCDO waves:

Sine
This uses the same sine calculation found in the FM computations and provides the purest sounding tone of all those available in the VCDO.

Triangle
This is a computed waveform that generates the classic triangle waveshape.

Wave 1 - 10

Saw
This is a computed waveform that generates the classic sawtooth waveshape.

PWM/Square
This is a computed pulse waveform with the pulse width defined by the PWM/AM CV and front-panel knob.

PWM/Double Pulse
This is a computed pulse waveform consisting of a positive and negative pulse, symmetrically spaced.
The pulse width is defined by the PWM/AM CV and front-panel knob.

Noise
This is a pseudo-random noise waveform clocked at the NCO frequency.
It has several unique characteristics: When the FM Ratio is set to 0, it generates a stepped random voltage.
Other settings of FM Ratio generate a linear-interpolation between the random voltages which can be distorted with the FM Ratio and Index CVs, resulting in interesting timber variations.

ATOM

those waveforms remind me of the mini-wave

particularly the batman one.
ATOM
This is the standard waveforms before you introduce FM, then the waves get mangled/distorted.
From mellow tones to harsh timbre's to give you much to filter/subtract.

ATOM
Kwote
ATOM wrote:
This is the standard waveforms before you introduce FM, then the waves get mangled/distorted.
From mellow tones to harsh timbre's to give you much to filter/subtract.

ATOM

awesome. makes me more stoked to get the mini-wave.
ATOM
Kwote wrote:

awesome. makes me more stoked to get the mini-wave.

smile

ATOM
sydilaxe
I have two VCDOs and one Dual VDO in my A-series system (love those banana jacks). What is VERY interesting with the dual digital oscillator is that the mix between oscillator A and B is not a crossfade/audio mix between the two waveforms. It actually is variable interpolation between the two waves. Combined with detuning of the the second waveform, you can get some wild timbres out of that module. The Dual VDO is no replacement for the VCDO; it is a unique creature. I have been able to pull some (dare I say it) Buchla-esque timbres from these modules. I HIGHLY recommend these.
elemental
Damn. These Modcan modules do look pretty tasty. One day maybe...!
I'd like to hear demos of that Dual VDO.
parasitk
sydilaxe wrote:
I have two VCDOs and one Dual VDO in my A-series system (love those banana jacks). What is VERY interesting with the dual digital oscillator is that the mix between oscillator A and B is not a crossfade/audio mix between the two waveforms. It actually is variable interpolation between the two waves. Combined with detuning of the the second waveform, you can get some wild timbres out of that module. The Dual VDO is no replacement for the VCDO; it is a unique creature. I have been able to pull some (dare I say it) Buchla-esque timbres from these modules. I HIGHLY recommend these.

Awesome. Have any sound clips?

(as if i needed another format to lust over!)
sandyb
parasitk wrote:
sydilaxe wrote:

Awesome. Have any sound clips?

(as if i needed another format to lust over!)

yup - sound clips please. make my wait even longer smile
sydilaxe
Unfortunately,

I won't be able to record samples until mid October, as I am making a move from Brooklyn to Toronto. The studio is disassembled/packed up.

I am jonesing for a patching session, but I guess I will have to wait until the system returns to it's native land.

I will try and find a track that uses it on my HD.
parasitk
Man I really want both of these modules in a bad way. I might just have to start a small Modcan A system (A series to go with the Serge M-odules I'll also have to buy, of course!) SlayerBadger!

I never thought I'd do this, but I might start selling off my other synths (save the Juno and Evolver) to get this going...
Kwote
parasitk wrote:
I never thought I'd do this, but I might start selling off my other synths (save the Juno and Evolver) to get this going...

and so the slippery slope begins.. smile
indexofmetals
specifically to sydilaxe, but anyone else can chime in. I've been listening to some vcdo & dvdo samples and I'm preferring the dual version a lot better. do they sound that different that I'd like one and not the other, or is it just perhaps the rest of the patch / effects that's affecting my opinion?

cheers
thermionicjunky
The VCDO is really for DX7 style FM. If the thing you're into is a massive bank of waveforms, the DVDO may be for you. I think that the factors most responsible for the character of those demos are detuning and wave morphing.
sydilaxe
The DVDO, according to Bruce, uses waves lifted from various Miniwave EPROMs. These have been reinterpolated up to 12-bit, so they definitely have a different character from the Miniwave modules. I use my Miniwave as a distortion unit/ looping CV source mostly these days, so it is nice to have some dedicated digital oscillators. I find that the interaction between the digital oscillators and analog VCOs can be quite interesting.

The VCDO has it's own proprietary waveset, created by Eric (the DSP programmer). These waveforms are optimized for FM, and also the PWM affects most waveforms (even the noise!) as well.

So, yes, they are very different from each other. My system is set up with six oscillators.

I have two VCDOs, two Modcan VCOs, 1 DVDO, and one Zeroscillator. I chose this configuration for the widest range of voicing and oscillator combos. I also have a Miniwave and loads of LFOs (which can basically fill in as stripped down oscillators) to support these.
indexofmetals
i've now ordered a dual vdo & digital delay, should be here by end of Nov, but my zo arrived today so I should know my way around it by then and hopefully they'll work well together
sydilaxe
You will have an amazing arsenal of timbres at your disposal. The Digital Delay is a favorite of mine. It sounds SOOOO good.
thermionicjunky
The sound of delay time modulation is quite wonderful. It sounds digital, but never like malfunctioning digital, which has it's own merits. They've totally pulled off digital modules which behave like analog, without getting stuck awkwardly in between. I'm back to thinking I'll get a VCDO to go with my tube oscillators. The dual digital oscillators should make some good FM sources.
parasitk
Please keep talking about this module - and more importantly, keep posting sound clips! Coffee Addiction FTW
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4