MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM 6-pin power cable = dotcom power cable?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MOTM 6-pin power cable = dotcom power cable?
russma
I just received a MOTM-650, which includes a 6-pin power cable. My STG distro board has MOTM 4-pin, dotcom 5-pin and Modcan 3-pin connecters.

Can I plug the 6-pin power cable I received with the MOTM-650 into one of the dotcom connectors on the STG distro board? Are the pin-outs the same? Or is the MOTM 6-pin cable unique?

hmmm.....
bwhittington
Definitely not! They shouldn't be compatible connectors anyway (MTA-156 vs MTA-100, but the pins are different. Read the two power-related stickies. The 6-pin wiring is mentioned in at least one of them, if not both.

Cheers,
Brian

idiotboy wrote:
I just received a MOTM-650, which includes a 6-pin power cable. My STG distro board has MOTM 4-pin, dotcom 5-pin and Modcan 3-pin connecters.

Can I plug the 6-pin power cable I received with the MOTM-650 into one of the dotcom connectors on the STG distro board? Are the pin-outs the same? Or is the MOTM 6-pin cable unique?

hmmm.....
bwhittington
Here you go:

JohnLRice wrote:

+5 ground(+5) -15 ground ground +15

this is looking at the male header pins from the side without the retaining clip. wire the female connector accordingly.

Sorry, I sent my last message out quickly so you didn't fry something in case you felt impatient (like I might do Mr. Green). You can wire a MOTM adaptor cable to use with the Dotcom header, but the pins aren't in the same order.

If you see the original post, John mentions that the info is from memory, but I've used this info a couple times now, so you can consider it double-checked. thumbs up

Oh, and all of the ground pins can be wired together on the MOTM end. I wired the Dotcom ground to one pin and used a short wire to bridge the other two pins.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
Check out this thread: 8_)
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16488
russma
Thanks, you guys!

The lure of new knobbage is strong in me, but the risk of wallet is still stronger.

Since I'm powering this cabinet with the MOTM-950, which comes with it's own distro board featuring 4-pin and 6-pin connectors, I just jumpered it to the STG distro board and we're good to go.

I did read that jumpering two distro boards with one power supply is OK, right?

eek!

Anyway the MOTM-650 powered up fine and there's no sign of magic smoke anywhere, so I think we're good.

But now I have to run out the door to one of the wife's soire's.

d'oh!

Someday, I'll get to play with all this stuff!

Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
idiotboy wrote:

Since I'm powering this cabinet with the MOTM-950, which comes with it's own distro board featuring 4-pin and 6-pin connectors, I just jumpered it to the STG distro board and we're good to go.

I did read that jumpering two distro boards with one power supply is OK, right?

Totally fine, so long as you are only using one power supply, two or more disto boards is no problem. thumbs up
SynthBaron
I had a bunch of nifty 6-pin MOTM to Dotcom adapter boards made up. STG has them now. He'll probably sell you one.
russma
Good to know, thanks.

Anyone know if the STG distro can accomodate a 6-pin MOTM header?
JohnLRice
I believe NOT! (I at first said they would d'oh!) Sheesh, I can't count. Dead Banana Doesn't look like you can use 6 pin MOTM at all. Confirm with Mr. Suit before 'not' buying though:

You should nicely ask Paul S. at Synth Tech if he will sell you some spare MOTM-950 distro boards. They aren't a regular item (they should be! thumbs up ) but if they are what you need, it wont hurt to ask!

suitandtieguy
i can send you one of those adapter boards. it would be very cheap, and i have like five million of them.
russma
Thanks guys. For now, I'm all good.

I'm now running two distro boards:

1. The STG distro board, which handles Dotcom, Modcan, and MOTM 4-pin headers.

2. The MOTM distro board, (the one that comes with the MOTM-950 power supply), and it handles MOTM 6-pin and 4-pin headers.

The STG distro board is powering the Q960/961/962 and the MOTM distro board is powering the MOTM-650.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1