MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4-tier 60HP Moog setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 4-tier 60HP Moog setup
rplktr
Some time ago, I completed a mini synth setup capable of recreating the Tron sound. Well, "completed" is wishful thinking in the eurorack world.

A few weeks after this, I discovered Ornament+Crime and decided I need to build it. I've been told it's a bad beginner project, so I added Mikrophonie to the list. But I was already -2HP in space on my 3-tier setup! The only answer was a fourth tier.

This is how it looks like as of today:

I don't know how to properly distribute the power from one uZeus inside two Moog skiffs. That's the least invalid way I came up with:

The top two skiffs are connected by a $5 punched flat bar from HomeDepot. It was pretty tricky to align but it stays put wonderfully.

So, nothing revolutionary. But answers questions that come up here every now and then, namely:
- is it possible to have a 4-tier setup with the Mood skiffs? Hell yeah!
- can a single uZeus power multiple skiffs? Sure!
string56
Really nice work! I've been mulling over the same two issues, adding an extra tier and power routing between individual 60HP (or indeed 104HP) Moog cases. Something like a 4ms Row Power 40 would happily run all four tiers of 60HP. My ideas involved drilling holes but perhaps that was overcomplicating things, I think I'll try your solution out.
rplktr
string56 wrote:
My ideas involved drilling holes but perhaps that was overcomplicating things, I think I'll try your solution out.

The side walls can be unscrewed right off and a flying bus board can be placed behind them. Then you screw them back on, with the punched flat bars between the metal wall and the wood. The hardest part was cutting the flat bars to length Smash!
adderbrew
rplktr wrote:

This is how it looks like as of today:

I don't know how to properly distribute the power from one uZeus inside two Moog skiffs. That's the least invalid way I came up with:

]

Short time lurker, first time poster, just to talk about this! I love the setup, and using the uZeus for the two skiffs was a clever way around it. Are you powering the 2 M32's off their own power, or are they rigged into the Zeus as well? Portability be damned, I want this setup for my first rig!
rplktr
adderbrew wrote:
Short time lurker, first time poster, just to talk about this! I love the setup, and using the uZeus for the two skiffs was a clever way around it. Are you powering the 2 M32's off their own power, or are they rigged into the Zeus as well? Portability be damned, I want this setup for my first rig!

I use the M-32s internal power modules and line outs. That way they don't draw current from the uZeus which is pretty modest in what it handles. A single M-32 needs like 1.5A for a short while to start up, hence it's not very easy to integrate this.

I also found the internal power modules in the Mothers to be very low noise and zero bleedthrough with your other Eurorack modules. Add the fact that you can then use the rear line outs too, and we have a winner!

But I'm happy you like the setup! It's not entirely unportable, I would just keep the two top skiffs together (due to the power and the flat bars being rather tedious to align).

When you mount this double skiff to the 3-tier frame, unscrew just one screw on each side, attach to the frame, add washers, screw back in. Then unscrew the remaining two screws (the hole is big enough for them to go through), insert the washers and screw back in.

So, when you want to unmount the double skiff, do the exact same thing in the opposite order. Unscrew one screw on each end, and screw it back in without the washer (it should go right through the hole in the 3-tier frame). Then unscrew the remaining two screws, remove the skiff from the frame and screw the screws back in.
rplktr
I just installed ES-3 and ES-6 as part of this project. Since I'm a clown, I didn't quite check if the modules are going to be skiff friendly. They are not! However, I'm stubborn so managed to get it installed and fully working:

I was lucky since they were just a little too deep. Maybe 5mm (1/4") or so. But it took me a few hours, during which I had to cut one of the rails in the case (the bottom one). You can see it on the close-up:

Better yet, the skiff is not based on straight angles so I had to minimally trim the PCB on both ES-3 and ES-6 in the upper corner to be able to insert them fully into the case. So, a word of warning my friends: check the depth of the modules before you buy smile And... maybe don't try my bruteforce approach at home.
orbita
rplktr wrote:
I just installed ES-3 and ES-6 as part of this project. Since I'm a clown, I didn't quite check if the modules are going to be skiff friendly. They are not! However, I'm stubborn so managed to get it installed and fully working:

I was lucky since they were just a little too deep. Maybe 5mm (1/4") or so. But it took me a few hours, during which I had to cut one of the rails in the case (the bottom one). You can see it on the close-up:

Better yet, the skiff is not based on straight angles so I had to minimally trim the PCB on both ES-3 and ES-6 in the upper corner to be able to insert them fully into the case. So, a word of warning my friends: check the depth of the modules before you buy smile And... maybe don't try my bruteforce approach at home.

Hi - I'm really glad you posted on this because it showed me I was able to do the same. I couldn't be bothered to find the flat bar so I just used a few strips of gaffer tape to hold them together. Seems pretty solid. I'll try and upload a photo too.

Funny thing is, I also made the same mistake with the ES3!! At the moment I have it screwed in but sticking out rather ungainly at the front. It's a bit of a stupid design on Moog's part to make it so shallow at one end. I have the ES3 mk3 which I think is deeper than the mk4.

Which version of ES3 do you have? (Your pictures are not showing)
And how did you cut out the rail?
deltaAquarii
how did you cut the rail in the case?
(have to do the same...but i just like the 60 p form factor so much..)
aaronweits
love this setup, thanks for sharing!
orbita
rplktr
I'm happy you like my little setup, it's still going strong SlayerBadger!

I fixed the pictures, they should show again now. I cut the rails in the pivotal places by drilling through them. I tried other things and it was too flimsy. Drilling proved to be very easy, although you can see on the pictures that the drill liked to change course at times seriously, i just don't get it The effect works very well though.

Things to keep in mind:

1. protective eye-wear;
2. clean the case thoroughly after because shards of metal can easily short your modules and kill the rack.

And as I mentioned in the post above, you do have to trim the PCB for the ES-3 on the top corner to fully fit. I did that with sandpaper since there's really not much you have to trim. Also, I was freaking out I would unintentionally break the paths on the PCB and destroy the module. Fortunately, they're pretty far.

Summing up, don't want to scare you, just be careful and you'll be fine. Drilling the rails means you need to know where exactly you plan to put your module. So give it some wiggle space. Good luck!

I don't remember now which ES3 I have, I bought it new in 2016.
Kandavu
Thanks for posting this. I’m liking the elegance of a desktop 4-tier 60hp modular. I’ve had a mother-32 for 2 years now and am looking to save by buying the extra skiffs & es-8 or es-3/es-6 2nd hand. I may opt to go with a DFAM for the second tier, leaving the 3rd and 4th tier for modular components.
Ultimately the 4-tier 60hp skiff setup I’m thinking of is for integrating with Reaktor Blocks and VCV Rack Plug-in with Expert Sleepers Es-8 or Es-3/Es-6 modules.
I’m handy with a dremel. I figure tooling the skiff with a dremel to better fit the expert modules as opposed to using a drill would be the better way to go...
Is there anyone on these boards with their own story with a similar set up?
I’d like to hear from you. nanners
orbita

[/img]
paranoidmoonduck
Hahaha, it continues. I look forward to seeing this thread 5 years from now when your case has reached the ceiling.
Kandavu
@orbita, Are you buying your 60hp skiffs new or used?
orbita
Kandavu wrote:
@orbita, Are you buying your 60hp skiffs new or used?

I got one used and the other 2 new. There was a used one on ebay just now that I was tempted to pick up but I think i'm going to stick where I am for now.

It's definitely not the cheapest option. I think for that, a basic 19" desktop rack and some 84hp rails is better. But since I have the 2 mothers already it's the neatest and most s[/img]pace efficient option for me given that I want to keep it close at hand. At some point if I want to try modular sequencing I might need to rethink. I can possibly move the Behringer Model D somewhere else and fit another 6u moog 60hp under the monitor.

The computer is a hexcore Hackintosh with an RME Raydat and Babyface thanks to aggregated audio. Analog goes in via UltraA16 ES6 into Adat. Analog4 via usb.
The Babyface allowed me to get rid of my old mixer as I was only using it for monitoring controls.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1