MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mixer that can fake a sidechain?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Mixer that can fake a sidechain?
Northbest
I'm looking at getting a four channel (DJ) mixer for my synths and I'm trying to find out if there's anything out there that can fake a pumping sidechain onboard? I'd rather not haul around a stack of compressors or a computer if I can fake it well enough onboard. I've not had any luck finding anything, best I can find is the Xone 4D lets you define envelopes for the filter but unless you can just stack two filters to fake a volume to zero LFO then I'm not sure what the hell works.

Really surprised only the MX1 does this and it's crippled by Aira integration.
Just me
Roland VM mixers could sidechain internally.
TheRosskonian
Northbest wrote:
Really surprised only the MX1 does this and it's crippled by Aira integration.

Sounds like you've already considered the MX-1, but it is actually quite good at this. You have five different versions of the fake side chain as well as a filter and a "gater" effect. It's probably my favorite feature of this mixer as you can use it create patterns to chop up your existing sequences. Not exactly a mixer, but this can also be done with the TR-8's input as well.
Northbest
It doesn't make much sense to get an MX1 if you've got no Aira gear.
gentle_attack
Octatrack can plock compressor/filter/phaser to certain steps on thru tracks.
mindcrows424
Roland VM mixers are the best in my opinion.
iotus
Quote:
I'm looking at getting a four channel (DJ) mixer for my synths and I'm trying to find out if there's anything out there that can fake a pumping sidechain onboard?

Endorphines Cockpit does exactly this
RhythmDroid
Behringer X-Air Series

No shit. I'm serious.

I've played live over 50 times and many of those outings involved multiple compressors and mix stages to do sidechain/ducking compression.

My most compact all analog setup for this was an FMR RNLA mixing the master signal (sans kick drum) with the kick drum going into the sidechain input to duck everything. Then that ducked mix would get mixed together with the dry kick drum using a tiny ART SplitMix 4 passive mixer, then the final signal which included the kick drum would go through a gentle squeeze with an FMR RNC. It sounded GREAT.

But I finally pulled the trigger and went digital for my live tech-funk and house rig. It WORKS. Every single input channel on the Behringer X-Air has dynamics and you can internally sidechain from any channel. Once I get one channel ducking nicely, I can copy that dynamics setup to every channel, and they all duck to the kick. Save that whole thing and it's ready to go during performance. And the sound quality is fine, it's good enough.

Hope that helps!
PISS.EXE
the X Air IS really good.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1