MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

George Mattson Kicks Some Serious Ass!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author George Mattson Kicks Some Serious Ass!
JohnLRice
we're not worthy thumbs up we're not worthy thumbs up

Once you see the MiniMoog case he did for me, I'm sure you will agree if you didn't already know! hyper hihi SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
JohnLRice
Here are some pictures George took. I'll post some of my own when I can too.

This is what my Mini's case looked like before. Typical lower end Mini wood (poplar?) with ugly factory paint(?) job and all beat up etc:

This is how it looked after sanding. It is actually not bad here and maybe a clear coat would have sufficed:

But . . . I had requested a darker walnut type finish so he tried to stain it. I think the stain job was quite acceptable, (actually very nice!), especially tons better than the way it previously looked:

But, George wasn't satisfied so what does he do? Without even showing me how the original turned out he goes and builds me a brand new one from scratch out of great wood and does a fantastic job!!!!!! w00t w00t w00t
emdot_ambient
Sweet!

I really wanna get my mini back in operational order.
chromium
That is absolutely gorgeous! The grain on that wood is stunning. Really nice work 8_)

I just refinished one too. Here are some pics if you want to see it. I wanted to do the period correct butterscotch finish, but I couldn't find a good match for that color - the stain I tried came out looking like an oompa loompa, so I went with a darker "red mahogany" oil stain with satin clearcoat...

Before:

Exploded view:

Strippers and bleach (...and not the fun kind):

Wet sanding the clear coat:

After:
neandrewthal
Wheres that boner emoticon at woah
emergencyofstate
8====D
JohnLRice
chromium wrote:
That is absolutely gorgeous! The grain on that wood is stunning. Really nice work 8_)
Thanks Joe, and of course, thanks be to George, ahmen! Om

chromium wrote:

I just refinished one too. Here are some pics if you want to see it. :
Yours looks great too! Nice job! applause
Bryan B
That is a thing of beauty!
Kent
To both of you Model D guys:

Kah-lass!

Clap
computer controlled
Awesome! I wanna see it when it's all put together! Maybe i should put this Micromoog into some kind of wood case like the Mini =o]
slovo
Have you found Jesus yet, either of you? Because I'd like to make sure you both get into heaven. Oh, and have you written your will yet? Our Church accepts all kinds of donations..!!!!!! twisted help twisted

PS sweet cases. I can't believe your original one took such a beautiful stain, lucky wood, and surely that's due to Mr. Mattson's skill there as well! Hell, if all poplar looked that good, flame maple would be a lot cheaper right now!!
Nice,i did the same with mine some time ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matrixsynth/399951843/
emdot_ambient
Wow, all of these are inspiring.
JohnLRice
I've unfortunately been so slammed with "house" projects and overtime at work I haven't taken the time to work on my MiniMoog. Tonight I finally got the keyboard reassembled and mounted in the case George made for me (thanks again! Hug Dinner at the Y ) along with the electonics. I put all new key tops on and also a fresh set of knobs! hyper It's gonna be sweet! Here's a quick snapshot to give you a taste:

toothless_wonder
Wow , now that is craftmanship !!! applause
BugBrand
Great!

And smart move to put that resistor colour code chart at the top too -- very useful info! Slightly puzzled that you chose to mount it off-centre though.
chromium
That's coming along nicely! we're not worthy
mmm
BugBrand wrote:
Great!

And smart move to put that resistor colour code chart at the top too -- very useful info! Slightly puzzled that you chose to mount it off-centre though.

C'mon Tom. You should recognize that. That's the core heater temp gauge so he can adjust the control rods properly.

The two center black keys look depressed. Maybe, you could cheer them up and put some spring back into them smile Maybe, it was accidental.

Need more coffee...sorry.

G
Bryan B
After staring at the great refinish jobs in this thread, my friend brought his MiniMoog over to my studio:

I told him that he should sand it down and refinish it to make it look sexy once again. Long story short he bought some stain and I got to work. I even sanded and buffed out that cigarette burn. Thanks for the inspiration!

mmm
Nice job!!! applause

It's a job+ isn't it smile
Bryan B
Thanks!

I spent the whole weekend working on it (3-day weekend no less). I certainly had no idea what I was in for, but seeing the end result was well worth it.
JohnLRice
mmm wrote:
Nice job!!! applause

It's a job+ isn't it smile

+1! Nice job Bryan!

And thanks again George! we're not worthy SlayerBadger!
Babaluma
these are all beautiful!

what are the second hand dealer prices for minimoogs like in the us and eu now? over here there are loads available, but they are all priced around 300,000-350,000 yen. just wondering if that was above or below standard. (around US $3,400 - $4,000).
slovo
Cmon man, it's Japan. You know the prices are high, man! I think less high than usual tho... like $2500 for a nice mini right?
Babaluma
in the US? i just said, here they are all $3,400-4000, so if they are only $2,500 in the US that might be worth investigating.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2