MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Apple OS X sierra coming so Download El Capitan
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Apple OS X sierra coming so Download El Capitan
ignatius
Apple users Sierra is coming so go download El Capitan before apple removes it so it's in your app store account

when they launch a new OS.. they take the old one out of the APP store. if you download it. even if you don't install it.. then it remains in your app store account under "purchased" items.

also, if your mac is pre 2010 it won't support sierra anyways

https://www.powermax.com/article/sierra-is-coming--time-to-get----el-c apitan-
Sinamsis
Thanks for the heads up man. I've been really holding off on updating, but good to know I can download without updating.
Scot Solida
Thanks for this reminder. I have planned to download it since Sierra was announced, but would have spaced it if I hadn't seen your post. d'oh!
dogoftears
the alternative to the app store trick is to time machine your system drive before upgrading. then if you don't like it, just load up the old system-- bit quicker then redownloading the old OS and fixing everything back to normal manually.

i for one am very curious about this OS update, i've had major USB audio issues in El Capitan that seem to be "unfixable" on the manufacturer's end, and I'm really hoping all of that is addressed in Sierra....
ignatius
dogoftears wrote:
the alternative to the app store trick is to time machine your system drive before upgrading. then if you don't like it, just load up the old system-- bit quicker then redownloading the old OS and fixing everything back to normal manually.

i for one am very curious about this OS update, i've had major USB audio issues in El Capitan that seem to be "unfixable" on the manufacturer's end, and I'm really hoping all of that is addressed in Sierra....

i hope this OS is more of a fix than a headache for people. any new OS breaks something.. plug ins.. software etc..

el capitan 10.11.6 is pretty stable for me so i hope to remain on it for a few years.

hoping that apple doesn't force logic users to update to sierra w/next logic update. they do that sometimes.

anyway.. whatever your strategy is.. time to go with it because sierra is tuesday!
secretkillerofnames
Thanks for the notice!
My school of thought is usually to wait for the last version of the last OS and looks like that time is now!
Sinamsis
ignatius wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

i hope this OS is more of a fix than a headache for people. any new OS breaks something.. plug ins.. software etc..

el capitan 10.11.6 is pretty stable for me so i hope to remain on it for a few years.

hoping that apple doesn't force logic users to update to sierra w/next logic update. they do that sometimes.

anyway.. whatever your strategy is.. time to go with it because sierra is tuesday!

Dude, I crippled my studio for a few days at least when upgrading my OS. Apparently M Audio didn't keep up, and my MIDI interface stopped working. It's actually not as easy to go backwards in terms of OS. Fortunately I was able to, but now I keep everything at least one or two versions behind in terms of OS. Honestly I find everything works fine for me, so there's no incentive to upgrade except for software that forces you too (I actually moved away from logic a couple years ago, so that's never really an issue for me).
ignatius
Sinamsis wrote:
ignatius wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

Dude, I crippled my studio for a few days at least when upgrading my OS. Apparently M Audio didn't keep up, and my MIDI interface stopped working. It's actually not as easy to go backwards in terms of OS. Fortunately I was able to, but now I keep everything at least one or two versions behind in terms of OS. Honestly I find everything works fine for me, so there's no incentive to upgrade except for software that forces you too (I actually moved away from logic a couple years ago, so that's never really an issue for me).

yeah.. it sucks. i wait as long as possible before updating an OS.. years really. if it's stable then i leave it. even if it wasn't stable.. i'd wait to see wha that early adopters say and read about what becomes broken after the install.

computer shit can really take up a lot of time. i try to avoid it.
nangu
Thanks for the heads-up!!
pannikel
nice one ignatius, good call. Apple really do like coralling your options; built-in their commercial dna I suppose
Sinamsis
ignatius no doubt. The one good thing I will say about Apple is that with Time Machine transitioning to a new computer is relatively seemless and much faster than what it would be otherwise. That's a big reason I've stayed with them. And stability obviously. But I think I've pretty much committed to not buying any of their shit new again. I think I'll just stick with the year older model. Price difference is huge.

And as a complete aside and an FYI. I don't know when it happened but Apple has stopped providing repairs for any machines more than 5 years old. Found that out when my 2011 MacBook Pros battery died. Kinda bullshit when you buy a machine that could easily last five years. Was fine for me, but now all the newer laptops have their components hard wired so the average joe can't take them out. Even RAM. Kinda bullshit if you ask me. Haha I just had to get it off my chest.
ignatius
Sinamsis wrote:
ignatius no doubt. The one good thing I will say about Apple is that with Time Machine transitioning to a new computer is relatively seemless and much faster than what it would be otherwise. That's a big reason I've stayed with them. And stability obviously. But I think I've pretty much committed to not buying any of their shit new again. I think I'll just stick with the year older model. Price difference is huge.

And as a complete aside and an FYI. I don't know when it happened but Apple has stopped providing repairs for any machines more than 5 years old. Found that out when my 2011 MacBook Pros battery died. Kinda bullshit when you buy a machine that could easily last five years. Was fine for me, but now all the newer laptops have their components hard wired so the average joe can't take them out. Even RAM. Kinda bullshit if you ask me. Haha I just had to get it off my chest.

the used mac supply is reasonable enough to support any new computer needs i have. there are retailers who just sell referbs and new old stock macs. the next desktop machine i get will likely be my last computer for a decade. by the time i need/want a new machine beyond that.. the whole game will have changed.

regarding repairs.. my 2011 macbook pro had the video card/logic board issue that was known and affected so many users that they created a program for fixing it. so when mine shit the bed i took it in and they fixed it for free. this was just a couple months ago. if not for that program it would've cost $600.

also, this 2011 MBP was given to me free by apple after the 2008 model i had broke 3 times and the 3rd time i took it in they said "well, we've already replaced pretty much everything in this computer so here's a new top of the line MBP".. which made me quite happy. the difference in those models was vast. basically a 2 core older intel chip to a quad core intel chip and fast ram and everything else.. just a vastly improved computer which, now that the logic board was replaced should hopefully last quite a long time.

i've been fortunate w/my apple customer support experiences.. . and i always buy apple care.
leeski
many thanks for this advice applause
Sinamsis
ignatius that's pretty amazing. Actually customer service is probably the other reason I stick with Apple. Some of their moves do irk me a little bit, but whatever. They've been good to me.
crawling wind
Yes, thanks. It would not have occurred to me to do that .
dan_k
Sinamsis wrote:

Sinamsis, you might try older versions of the M-Audio drivers even if they claim not to be supported. Just a few days ago I setup my old M-Audio Midisport 2x2 on my girlfriend's new 5K iMac running El Capitan. On a hunch I found the most recent, which was still several major OS versions behind and installed that and it worked.

ignatius thanks for the tip regarding the OS. So if I'm understanding correct once you've downloaded it once you it will allow you to install again in the future even if they've removed it from the store?

Reason I'm asking is that one of my staff recently told me that Apple date stamps the downloads, and if they're more than 2 days old now they won't install and expect you to download again so you can't just work off a local copy. d'oh!
ignatius
dan_k wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

Sinamsis, you might try older versions of the M-Audio drivers even if they claim not to be supported. Just a few days ago I setup my old M-Audio Midisport 2x2 on my girlfriend's new 5K iMac running El Capitan. On a hunch I found the most recent, which was still several major OS versions behind and installed that and it worked.

ignatius thanks for the tip regarding the OS. So if I'm understanding correct once you've downloaded it once you it will allow you to install again in the future even if they've removed it from the store?

Reason I'm asking is that one of my staff recently told me that Apple date stamps the downloads, and if they're more than 2 days old now they won't install and expect you to download again so you can't just work off a local copy. d'oh!

yeah.. you have to download it again but the point is that you can. if you don't download it before they remove it then you're stuck w/whatever the new version is.

there are a few things you can do.. you can download it again at a later date when you want to install.. it will be in your "purchased items" since you downloaded it and then when apple comes out w/the new OS you'll still have access to the old ones. i think it's a law or something that they have to give you access to the things you've already downloaded/purchased.

i can go back 4 OS versions in my "purchased" section.

you can download it and make a bootable drive on a thumbdrive. apple has instructions for this on their forum or whatever it's called.. just google how to make bootable OSX drive or whatever and it'll turn up.. that way you have a thumb drive and when you put in any mac it's the OS X bootable for install.

when you download the OS if you don't install it it should be in your applications folder somewhere.. you can search for it in the finder.
a100user
Missed it. No longer available in App store.

What options available to me as my hardware is too old.?

I know there are torrents etc but scared to download something from an unknown site that could be riddled with god knows what.
ngarjuna
a100user wrote:

I know there are torrents etc but scared to download something from an unknown site that could be riddled with god knows what.

Find someone who already 'bought' it (added it to their App Store purchases) then just have them download it. You can use (a free program such as) Disk Maker X to create a thumb or hard drive from which you can boot and install. My work account was missing a bunch of them so I grabbed them from my personal App Store account, no problem.

Personally I keep a copy of each OS from Snow Leopard to current on my Deployment volume and it has come in super, super handy (more often than Apple would like for me to admit!).
erstlaub
Thanks for the heads up on this Ignatius, I had no idea that you could do that, currently redownloading the last 3 for archival purposes.

My last macbook ended up trapped in the stupid need to update so you can update loop so hopefully I'll manage to circumvent that for a while with this one.

Cheers.
secretkillerofnames
ngarjuna wrote:

Find someone who already 'bought' it (added it to their App Store purchases) then just have them download it. You can use (a free program such as) Disk Maker X to create a thumb or hard drive from which you can boot and install.

I used this approach to successfully put El Cap on a USB stick.
phase ghost
Oh man, you guys actually upgrade? I'm on 10.9.5 still, and won't upgrade until I'm absolutely forced to. Brave lot, you are.
ignatius
phase ghost wrote:
Oh man, you guys actually upgrade? I'm on 10.9.5 still, and won't upgrade until I'm absolutely forced to. Brave lot, you are.

i was on 10.9.5 for ages and finally updated after logic update required it.. 10.11.6 is just as solid in my experience.

it was out for years before i updated so all the developers had plenty of time to catch up.

but it'll be years again before i change OS X.
mateo
Apparently Sierra is a much safer upgrade for audio than El Cap was, but I'm going to wait a bit before regardless (Still on Yosemite on my audio computer anyway)
dogoftears
a100user wrote:

this guy wrote:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2