MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question about brand new Plan B modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Question about brand new Plan B modules
Muff Wiggler
Anyone ever buy a Plan B module brand new?

My headphone preamp arrived yesterday, and it still had the clear protective film over the faceplate. I had to remove the jacks, nuts and knobs to take the plastic off.

I assume this was simply a mistake - or is it standard procedure with Plan B? It's cool that they protected the plate, but I put some scratches in the cheezy plastic 1/4" jack when re-mounting it
MrDys
None of my ELFs arrived this way (the only Plan B's I've ordered direct from Noisebug).
sandyb
none of mine had a protective film on them either from the original analogue haven days or from noisebug. oh wait - the miniwave faceplate did but that was a different kind of thing really.
Muff Wiggler
ok cool, that's what i figured, just an oversight when building it, no worries

thanks guys
dkcg
Yup, they shouldn't. I bought a whole system there, none of them had plastic on the faceplate.
sgnhh
I think I got one of their modules with a little plastic around one of the jacks.
flts
My LFO had a loose nut in one of the jack connectors (luckily I found it on the bottom of the bag and screwed it back) and ASR's 4th stage connector wasn't making contact at all, until I bent the jack connector a bit (it was not in line with the other connectors) and it's still more loose than the other jacks.

Plan B guys were clearly in a great hurry when building the first ELF batch... I received apologies so no hard feelings, just a note since you brought it up.
GCF
My M38 ADSR had a loose nut, and also never triggered properly. I talked to Chuck Oken about it and they are taking a look at it.

But I just got the M40 HP and it works great. No loose anything or anything.

It was not really a big ordeal or anything, though. I am not trying to get all HexFix on Plan B.

The weird thing for me was that I ordered this and a module from another manufacture around the same time, and both need/needed to be sent back to be looked at.

(Certainly hasn't slowed me down, though.)
spbaker
there was a few probs with a group order we did here in oz from them, one of the others got the worst of it, like a missing cable joining the two boards of the Model 10 eek! and the knobs on the mixer were all out of alignment with the pots AND it looked like the Model 9 had already been racked! it all got sorted but i think the pressure is starting to show on PG cause the reply to him about the issues was downright rude... a little bit of customer service goes a long way.

i have had issues with some of their power cables being made wrong, which for someone else could have ended in disaster, i just check, check and check again before i plug anything in, and then check again before i turn anything on 8)

yeah no need to go hexfix but still a little more customer service and final quality checking could make a great product even greater!
apemandan
My Model 25 had to be returned as the VCA was totally dead, but Peter's support via email was amazing so i have no real gripes. It must be difficult to ramp up production and meet the growing demand with a handful of staff.
They paid the return postage and fixed the unit extremely quickly, he also threw in a Barry Schrader CD for the inconvenience! Cool! w00t
Kent
My Model 23 ASR was built with the jacks out of alignment with holes. I had to take it apart and reflow the solder on 2 jacks in order to get everything to line up correctly.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but the lowest jack was tweaked enough that the male 1/8" connector could not mate with it in a sound and secure manner.
felix
My M14 actually has a cross threaded cliff jack. I didn't actually notice it until I took out the module to check the shoddy connection I was getting out of that jack. Weak.
suitandtieguy
i have nothing to add other than for some reason in metal fabrication that film is called "protective paper", despite the fact it is not paper but is in fact plastic. for some reason this terminology is amusing to me.

sometimes it is opaque white (anyone who has bought a PAiA frac rack knows what i'm talking about), but in the photo-aluminum tags that Plan B and I use it needs to be clear.

it is there to protect the finish from scarring during the fabrication process (of hole-punching and, in my case, bend-braking.)
flts
Kent wrote:
My Model 23 ASR was built with the jacks out of alignment with holes. I had to take it apart and reflow the solder on 2 jacks in order to get everything to line up correctly.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but the lowest jack was tweaked enough that the male 1/8" connector could not mate with it in a sound and secure manner.

Yeah, that's what happened to me too, with the 4th output. I managed to use a knife to bend it a bit to align with the rest, didn't want to resolder it at first and I managed to get it back to correct alignment with a slight bend. It's still not perfect, but now the connector at least makes contact and stays in place.
Kent
flts wrote:
Kent wrote:

Yeah, that's what happened to me too, with the 4th output. I managed to use a knife to bend it a bit to align with the rest, didn't want to resolder it at first and I managed to get it back to correct alignment with a slight bend. It's still not perfect, but now the connector at least makes contact and stays in place.

Yup! The 4th one was the most 'out-of-whack' and the one that didn't mate well with the male jack.
dbch
boy, you guys are a lot cooler with this stuff than I would be...
i used to deal with Chuck when i was working for a modular company and he used to really bust my balls on little things. if a knob rubbed the nut he would make me drive an hour and a half each way just to raise it .5mm, he wouldn't let his techs touch our stuff. but the plan b stuff seems to barely get a once over before it's packed away and sent off. i've built hundreds of commercial modules and i have never shipped a dead product, i really don't understand how that can happen, short of not bothering to plug in and test them before shipping.
flippantminister
yeah, i really want to get into some plan b stuff (i have an elf lfo that has no issues) but all the stories i keep hearing make me a bit nervous to drop real money on them... which sucks, cause they are so interesting. i'm sure when the time comes i won't hesitate to purchase... but it is worrisome.
Cat-A-Tonic
flippantminister wrote:
yeah, i really want to get into some plan b stuff (i have an elf lfo that has no issues) but all the stories i keep hearing make me a bit nervous to drop real money on them... which sucks, cause they are so interesting. i'm sure when the time comes i won't hesitate to purchase... but it is worrisome.

Agreed. Maybe their quality control will improve once they've had some more time to grow.
I imagine stepping up production to meet demand is a very challenging thing for a young company.
Their pricing ought to indicate a standard of quality, and that they're made in the USA.
Still, I don't recall hearing as much flack about Doepfer and they're manufactured in eastern Europe.
Roycie Roller
Yep, you'd have to have your eyes closed to not pick up on those faults when building a module. To actually release them for sale is pretty bad form. Not the best way to start off, so let's hope for their sake that they raise their quality control. Just stating the obvious, i'll stfu now.
dkcg
I had a couple problems when I got my system, there was a slightly loose connection on the ringmod output and the triangle output on one of the modules was screwed up. Luckily, I live within driving distance of Noisebug/PlanB, Peter fixed everything right there as I waited, I'm sure being the 1st compete system sold out of Noisebug helps too. I'm up to 1 1/2 Doepfer cases of PlanB modules now. Overall, I'm very happy. But that sucks for you overseas out of towners, I hope you can get everything resolved and up and running 100%. The same fears of stuff breaking or not working scares me whenever I buy something European. I've had some good luck with ASys modules, and some unexplained weirdness too; the trapazoid generator would lose the VCA and output nothing after about an hour, even tho the envelopes worked fine, the comb filter won't work unless I have the 5 volt option plugged into the rail, but the RS-95e works perfectly fine. So I'm nervous about any ASsys modules w/o owning an ASys case. I trust Cwejman stuff a LOT, I'd love to see what that factory looks like. PlanB I love a lot, I love how it feels like a small violin maker or luthier's shop when I visit, but would also love to see a few robotic arms flying around grabbing pcbs, soldering, etc. and people sitting there checking each module as the robots push it through. But them robots and the maintenence can't be boutique budgets..

Anyone see the movies on youtube about the behringer factory in china? There's the opposite end of the spectrum...
Roycie Roller
No, i haven't seen the vids, but i'll check them out. I read an article about Behringer's operation and it's something like 12 blocks, or almost the size of a small suburb!
EDIT: speaking of youtube & factories, check out 'supermarket dominos' on youtube- absolute madness!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NtA6aXo7RMI
dougcl
Reminds me of the opening scenes in Manufactured Landscapes.
dkcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUGLUJF7y4

What a soulless looking place. The narrator's not a big Behringer fan. smile
dougcl
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLCupxo_KH0
REwire
I've had almost every module of Plan-B's without a problem (and I live a mile from Peter). I feel bad for those who've had problems, then the rumours start to spread and multiply. Even Doepfer had a bad rep for quality for years and I wouldn't care if Behringer was cloning their production.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2