MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mopho X4 + Tetra or Prophet 8?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Mopho X4 + Tetra or Prophet 8?
jeffscottbrown
What do you think about a Mopho X4 + Tetra vs. a Prophet 8?

Any big pros/cons for either?

Thanks for any feedback.
merchant
IMO simpler is better, and the P8 is a fantastic instrument. I doubt you will regret getting one. smile
flo
I would advise against the MophoX4 + Tetra route if you mainly want to play it as a 8 voice poly... I gave up on chaining my Mopho Keyboard and Tetra for five voices, it's just not worth the hassle...

So yes, I concur: P8.
johny_gtr
I have P08 keyboard and played twice on Mopho X4 and have no chance to play on Tetra.

About P08: I don't like its filter but like LFOs, ARP and sequencer. Also P08 is quite good as midi keyboard. I'm used to using my P08 only through FX chain.

Some P08 demos:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/ovod/etude-for-arpeggiator-sketch[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/ovod/dsi-prophet-08-sequencer-test-with-ax e-fx-ii[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/ovod/p08-sequence-test[/s]

If I were you I will buy <strike>Juno 60 and midi convertor if needed</strike> P08 used instead of Mopho X4 and Tetra.
johny_gtr
another one:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/ovod/dsi-prophet-08-sequencer-test-with-axe- fx-ii[/s]
Blairio
flo wrote:
I would advise against the MophoX4 + Tetra route if you mainly want to play it as a 8 voice poly... I gave up on chaining my Mopho Keyboard and Tetra for five voices, it's just not worth the hassle...

I have been chaining my mopho keyboard and Tetr4 to achieve (nearly) a prophet 5 for four years now. One midi cable and 2 parameters on each unit - simply set and forget. At the time the two together cost me £1100. Both are dearer now, but still far less than a P6 or P8.

A point to remember is that a Tetr4 is not just 4 mopho voices, it is effectively 4 separate mophos, each with a dedicated output. Horses for courses.

As an aside, I recently took delivery of an Audiothingies Micromonsta. An 8 voice VA polysynth for perhaps a tenth of the cost of a P6. And it sounds pretty damn good.
rjungemann
Agree with previous posters. If you're going to primarily use it as an 8-voice, get the P08. If you think you're gonna get into the nitty-gritty (possibly using a computer to sequence each voice separately), or you think you'll gig with just 4 voices, consider the Mopho x4 + Tetra.

I actually really like the sound of the P08/Mopho/Tetra. They do good string and brass sounds and also there's something whimsical to the sound.

Here's a quick track I did with just a P08 and a small amount of effects.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jngmn/titan[/s]

Here's the video that sold me on it:

flo
Blairio wrote:
flo wrote:

I have been chaining my mopho keyboard and Tetr4 to achieve (nearly) a prophet 5 for four years now. One midi cable and 2 parameters on each unit - simply set and forget. At the time the two together cost me £1100. Both are dearer now, but still far less than a P6 or P8.

Yeah, the midi side is relatively easy (although I had some strange things going on with all the different parameters sometimes, while switching presets and tweaking stuff and everything). But always using up two audio channels was bothering me, especially live. And the Mopho is a lot louder than the T4, so it's not just "unity" mixing... In the studio, I have enough other polys to do those jobs...

Of course, if it works for you, then that's absolutely fine! It's a lot of poly power for sure nanners

Cheers Guinness ftw!
Sinamsis
I too used to chain a Mopho with a Tetra. The audio was a little annoying but not a deal breaker. The multitimbral aspect of that set up is not to be sneezed at.

The other thing; though similar, and patches can be used across all three of these synths, the P08 lacks a sub oscillator. Not a deal breaker. But food for thought.
kindredlost
It may not have a dedicated sub but you can stack voices to get thicker sounds. Not exactly unusual but a good way to solve the suboscillator dilemma.

I tend to agree with the consensus on the P08 over a gathered setup. The keyboard and sequencer is too good. Filter? Well... it has it's place but not for everything.
fac
I'd rather have the whole thing in a single package, so P08 would be my choice. I had the rack version a while ago but it was the encoder version and I sold it thinking I would eventually buy the PE keyboard version.
Sinamsis
kindredlost wrote:
It may not have a dedicated sub but you can stack voices to get thicker sounds. Not exactly unusual but a good way to solve the suboscillator dilemma.

I tend to agree with the consensus on the P08 over a gathered setup. The keyboard and sequencer is too good. Filter? Well... it has it's place but not for everything.

To counter that, the Tetra can also be stacked for an even thicker sound. And with the stacking you end up with 4 voices, which aint bad, but not great either.

BTW I'm playing devil's advocate, I kept my P '08 and sold my Mopho Keyboard/Tetra combo.

As an aside, I felt the P '08 keyboard was absolutely shit. Maybe it was just my unit. But I've owned a ton of DSI stuff, and I've always loved the feel of the keys. The '08 felt plasticky and cheap. I ended up selling my keyed version in favor of the module version.

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Both can be had at a very good price. Some don't love the filters, I love them. And in terms of function to price, it's pretty damn good. The feature set on all these synths is amazing, and the price, particularly in the second hand market is wonderful.
johny_gtr
Sinamsis wrote:

As an aside, I felt the P '08 keyboard was absolutely shit. Maybe it was just my unit. But I've owned a ton of DSI stuff, and I've always loved the feel of the keys. The '08 felt plasticky and cheap. I ended up selling my keyed version in favor of the module version.

It is interesting opinion. I prefer my P08 keys over Akai MPK49 and Novation SL II. Of course, it's not acceptable to playing on Piano VSTi but quite good. And It also doesn't look like a chinese toy (as Novation). Almost all time my P08 is used as midi keys to Kenton to Modular.
Sinamsis
johny_gtr
Ha, it very well could be me. I bought it off eBay and it was advertised as the PE, though it might have been the older encoder version converted to the PE. Either way, the keys felt horrible to me. It was a total outlier for DSI synths for me and I've had a few (a Mopho keys, MEK and MEK PE, Prophet 12) and I've LOVED the feel of the keyed on all the others. Haha, but keyed feel is a very personal thing I guess.
jeffscottbrown
Sinamsis wrote:
... though it might have been the older encoder version converted to the PE.

I thought that the pre-PE ones didn't have encoders. Am I mistaken about that?
Sinamsis
jeffscottbrown wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

They were endless rotary encoders compared to the PE, or potentiometer edition.

The rotary encoders were a pain in the ass because they would start skipping and eventually become unresponsive. I believe it was related to oxidation. Whatever it was, opening up the synth and applying Deoxit worked like a charm, but was a huge PITA. Major design flaw that some haven't forgiven DSI for to this date.
jeffscottbrown
Sinamsis wrote:
jeffscottbrown wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

They were endless rotary encoders compared to the PE, or potentiometer edition.

Right. I had it backwards.

Thanks for the clarification.
nativestate
I have had these synths.

I would go for the PE 8. Its a wonderful synth full of many surprises.
cram1960
I'll chime in for the P08 also...less wires, more compact solution.
unease
The Mophos have the tuned feedback also, which the P08 doesn't. I've been thinking about this myself. A Mopho x6 would be perfect! Four voices is just a bit too limited to be used for chords and using polychain to chain two units just doesn't seem so neat. I'm torn!
Batlikecreature
unease wrote:
The Mophos have the tuned feedback also, which the P08 doesn't ... I'm torn!

As am I. I'd forgotten about the feedback- I use the sub rarely but I love the feedback.

I've been loving my Mophokey/ Tetra combo but now I'm looking at gigging it seems a bit too bitsy. As I've started getting into eurorack I was thinking about selling the Mopho/tetra and getting a P08 to fill in the unused portion of a 12u travel rack I've ordered- would make for a tidy setup, until I need the space for more eurorack...
unease
Batlikecreature wrote:
unease wrote:
The Mophos have the tuned feedback also, which the P08 doesn't ... I'm torn!

As am I. I'd forgotten about the feedback- I use the sub rarely but I love the feedback.

I've been loving my Mophokey/ Tetra combo but now I'm looking at gigging it seems a bit too bitsy. As I've started getting into eurorack I was thinking about selling the Mopho/tetra and getting a P08 to fill in the unused portion of a 12u travel rack I've ordered- would make for a tidy setup, until I need the space for more eurorack...

Yeah, the feedback is something pretty unique to DSI and it's a bit suprising that Dave decided to skip that in the P08, which is the top of the Mopho-line..
midilifestyle
I regret selling my x4+tetra combo. The number of voice combinations you can do is bonkers. If you don't set them up as a chain (just send midi to the tetra without any additional settings) and put tetra in stack mode (effectively with two double-layer voices), you can stack three voices on top of one another--although two of those three will be duophonic. Sounds sexy as shit.
1986Bowler
I have the Mopho Keyboard and the Tetra. Polychain mode makes it pretty cool. I sure wish I had more time in the day to be able to spend fooling around with them.

Plus I have to go back and reload all the default sounds on the Mopho- previous owner made some sounds, but they are pretty humdrum.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1