MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

HDMI>Composite Downscaler?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author HDMI>Composite Downscaler?
noisejockey
Does it indeed take a $250+ box to show HD HDMI into SD composite (BNC)? Have plans for HDMI sources into analog displays and muting systems, and I'm no good at DIY. Any units anyone might recommend?
evolve
What's your HDMI source? Does they only have HDMI? USB? Component? etc.

Amazon - 15$ searched for "HDMI to Composite" razz
https://www.amazon.com/WV-LINK-Composite-Adapter-Converter-Laptop/dp/B 01CQIARO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475166038&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+co mposite
noisejockey
evolve wrote:
What's your HDMI source? Does they only have HDMI? USB? Component? etc.

HDMI-output-only MP4 playback hardware device, streaming media off SD card.

evolve wrote:
Amazon - 15$ searched for "HDMI to Composite" razz
https://www.amazon.com/WV-LINK-Composite-Adapter-Converter-Laptop/dp/B 01CQIARO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475166038&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+co mposite

Saw those, too, just don't know anyone with experience with them. Do they even work? Sorry, I've got years of video experience but not with little consumer units like that. This personal project has a limited budget so the go-to DA's and scalers that I'm familiar with are either too big or too pricey.
nerdware
I have one of those, or a variation of it. Anyway, I was disappointed with it. I can't remember the exact details as I also tested a couple of HDMI->component converters that day, and they all failed. One was poor quality (failure to lock? I can't remember now), another was B/W, and the other was NTSC only. All 3 devices ended up in my "box of shame", so I can't recommend the cheap HDMI->composite converter.

My tests were done using a Raspberry Pi. I got fabulous results feeding the composite out into my V-4 mixer and then into the synth. Maybe someday I'll spend some money on a more expensive HDMI converter, like the Gefen HDMI to Composite / S-Video Scaler, but doesn't seem worth it for a Pi. OTOH, the Gefen has an overscan/underscan switch, so maybe I could get better results using it.
Dirty_Bill
I have not had any success with the cheap units. There just ain't a lot of demand for HDMI -> CV.

It's interesting, there seem to be some prosumer SDI -> Composite converters in the price range but few HDMI->CV.

HDMI->SDI->CV? Dead Banana I said that as a joke, but it looks like it could be done for about your price point. I still don't trust the generic eBay gear.

Is rescanning the screen the screen by shooting it with a camcorder with composite out? Or do you need a realtime, non-kludge solution? hihi

Maybe rent a converter from a broadcast house...
memes_33
there are not a ton of products like that, mainly because of HDMI's content protection features (HDCP). any content-protected material (i.e. every commercial move, appleTV, etc.) would not pass through. this is to prevent people from making copies of copyrighted material.

there are, of course, ways around it, but they are pretty expensive.
eth
I third that those cheap HDMI -> Composite downscalers are not reliable, got one with no luck out of either an Asus laptop, Macbook Pro, or an HDMI security recorder.
noisejockey
Thanks, everyone. This confirmed that to do it right, you pay more than $20. Like most things in life, actually.

I wound up going a different route, having found it's more cost-effective and future proof to upscale than down. I was gonna have all these full HD sources piped into cheap second-hand composite-input monitors, but instead I'm going the other way around, to full HDMI and SDI screen. Cheaper, actually, even with more modern displays, which I found surprising.

Thanks, all!
nerdware
If you're going HDMI->SDI, I recommend looking at the new Blackmagic Inc micro converters. Yes, micro. Not mini. Even smaller than their mini-converters. Cheaper, too.
noisejockey
nerdware wrote:
If you're going HDMI->SDI, I recommend looking at the new Blackmagic Inc micro converters. Yes, micro. Not mini. Even smaller than their mini-converters. Cheaper, too.

Yep: Have two of those coming in the mail, too. thumbs up
lorenzovektor
I recommend the Decimator, I've seen them as low as $220 http://m.markertek.com/product/dec-md-hx/decimator-md-hx-hdmi-sdi-cros s-converter-with-scaling-and-rate-conversion?utm_source=google&utm_ter m=Product_Target&utm_campaign=Shopping+Pro+Video+Category&utm_medium=c pc&utm_content=8jqpjUwl%7Cpcrid%7C74923776860%7Cpdv%7Cm%7C&gclid=CMTOw -SmpdACFZWFaQodh9kNtA
therevstone
nerdware wrote:

One thing to beware is the audio embedding on these - we got a dozen of them last year, and they didn't pass clean audio from SDI->HDMI (imagining it's the same going the other direction too).

Just a heads-up!
nerdware
Ouch. OTOH, they may have fixed that by now. It might be worth checking their support page for a firmware update.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1