MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Black Stereo Mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Erica Black Stereo Mixer
Outtatune
Has this thing been mentioned here?

10HP, 110 Euros. Yes, 110 Euros! 3 Stereo Ins with mono sum switch, 1 Mono in with CV control over pan. Mine arrived from Riga yesterday.

This immediately displaced a Unify+Expander in my case... giving me one less mono channel and no headphone out, but at half the HP, one less power connection, and at a third of the price. Yes I loose control over how I manage LR balance in the stereo image, but I'm OK with that so far.

I plan to run it through the hoops and send it to gain staging hell these next few days and I'll post back my findings, but so far so good.

Manufacturers page: http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/shop/eurorack-modules/by-functions/mixers  /black-stereo-mixer/

Erica's line is extensive, arguably too extensive, but they have a few unique gems in their lineup like this and the Pico Drums that bring a smile to my face (and wallet) every now and then.
terrymccann
Outtatune wrote:
Erica's line is extensive, arguably too extensive

I reckon their stuff is well priced in the scheme of things.

Edit: Whoops, read as "arguably too expensive." As you were d'oh!
MindMachine
terrymccann wrote:
Outtatune wrote:
Erica's line is extensive, arguably too extensive

I reckon their stuff is well priced in the scheme of things.

And extremely well built and packaged.
Elguapo505
This little guy is a must!
calaveras
Love Erica Synths. Ton of DIY stuff. And some pretty neat non-DIY products. Seems they have evolved a lot since they started not too long ago.
I predict they will be selling low earth orbit launch vehicles* by 2018.

*with former Soviet parts of course.
tgcheal
Erica is killing it!

It's crazy how similar that looks to their Black Quad VCA. Same face plate, knobs, and jack placements, different guts. 10HP is the perfect size for quad modules like this. Enough space for chunky, positive feeling knobs and decent jack spacing.
ben_hex
It looks fantastic!
franman69
Erica is bringing some strong Euro for sure... Love my PICO modules and the Wavetable VCO is awesome...
Fiddlestickz
so effectively could be used as a 7 input mono mixer too..?
Outtatune
Fiddlestickz wrote:
so effectively could be used as a 7 input mono mixer too..?

Yes but I don't think you would want to. A mono mixer would be a better choice as a mono mixer... and there are lots of those in all sizes in Eurorack.
lorenzovektor
I need this
bgcriswell
I just ordered one of these (and a polivoks vcf) this morning. Has anyone in the US ordered directly from them and if so, how long does it typically take? Getting the black polivoks Vcf finally completes my Erica Black voice. Mr. Green
Outtatune
I'm still putting it through gain staging hell, and there is some behavior I want to check both on my bench and with the manufacturer... so please don't let my enthusiasm for this make you part with your money just yet smile.
Outtatune
It has been a week, and I can say I'm happy with this mixer and it is officially part of my 12U portable system!

I'm waiting for a response from Erica, but it looks like there are at least two versions of this mixer shipping. I have version 1.0, and there is no +6db option on the Merge switches. It is a two way switch, not a three way as described on the website and in the manual that shipped with the unit. That is not a deal breaker for me, but the product shipped was not the product advertised. Moving on...

My portable system gets mixed in the 4 external inputs of an Octatrack. A and B are treated as a stereo pair and are fed directly by the Erica Mixer (no output module or attenuator in between). C and D are set up as mono sources and are fed by two Malekko MIX4s. I've found -48db to be the magic setting on the Octatrack mixer input trim for all the modular sources.

On a 1-10 scale, the sweet spot on the Erica's pots is usually between 4 and 6 for my uber clean tastes. I'm pretty careful about gain staging as I only want to hear things go square on purpose... not because an input is clipping due to negligence. I've been able to throw a lot of things at this mixer and am happy with it.

Plugging in an iPhone with the appropriate cable works, but I think this is where that +6db switch would be useful... on full volume on the phone and 10 on the mixer, it's still 6-12db below my optimal modular levels. FWIW I normally wouldn't plug an iPhone into this part of the audio chain to begin with... but hey gotta try it, right?

Plugging the output of a stereo guitar effects pedal directly into the mixer worked as expected... the signal was too low to be usable smile. I have a single ALM SBG and was secretly but unreasonably hoping I could plug a stereo guitar pedal directly into the mixer. Reality check. You can't. Boss RV6 FWIW.

Lastly, Ch 4 of the mixer is mono input with a CV pan control. Specs say it can handle 20Vpp and the manual says +5V and -5V are the hard pan values, and there is a trimmer you can adjust to change this. I threw my Batumi at it as well as my Kinks S&H without any attenuation or drama. Very cool to have stereo CV pan available in the rack. I of course already have it in the Octatrack, but having a modular channel adds to the toolbox of expresiveness that is modular.

So yep, for me the Erica Black Stereo Mixer is a keeper! Great price, great features, great sound. Only caveat is that if the +6db switch is a deal breaker for you, make sure you buy from somewhere with a good return policy... or just ask them to check before they ship it out.
MindMachine
bgcriswell wrote:
I just ordered one of these (and a polivoks vcf) this morning. Has anyone in the US ordered directly from them and if so, how long does it typically take? Getting the black polivoks Vcf finally completes my Erica Black voice. Mr. Green

I ordered a Black Digital Noise direct to So. California. It took about 10 days total. Girts is coming to Perfect Circuit this week, so he may be travelling. I believe he has staff though.

^ Glad the Mixer worked out. Their designs and builds are fantastic. If I had more room I would build a complete Erica voice.
McRINdk
Received my new black stereo mixer v2 today.

Racked it up but on turn on all module lights in my case started pulsing continuously and the speaker output pulsed loudly. The level LEDs on the module pulsed as well and my Metropolis didnt light up at all. 1 in 10 times it would power up correctly but even then the level LEDs only came on at about 8-9 vp-p rather than the 6v p-p mentioned in the manual.

Needless to say it was promptly removed to avoid damaging anything else.

I've shot an email off to Erica synths hopefully this can be resolved quickly. I really hate the return turn around rubish. What don't people get about instant gratification smile

I'll post with more details, but at this stage I certainly would not recomend it. I have other Erica stuff and love it so this was a real dissapointment and makes me consider reallocating the cash I've set aside for the new Fussion VCF V2 (when it releases)
McRINdk
Girts and the team at erica synths couldn't have been more helpfull. My replacement is on the way.
dng
Just got the Erica stereo mixer. Seems quite nice, and just what I was looking for...some questions though...

The jumper on the back says I should refer to the manual...but I have not spotted info on what this jumper does.

Also, I tried to connect to the 3.5mm output jacks using 1/4" plugs with two different adapters, and both work poorly, making intermittent connections. My 3.5mm patch cables going into the mixer inputs seem clean and fine, but wiggle those adapters at the outputs and connection is very intermittent and poor; and I'm sure it's not the contact between the 1/4" plug and the adapter. Is it that my adapters (two different models) are of some slightly different 3.5mm standard? Are the Erica jacks just not very accommodating?
matttech
Do you mean 1/4" cables with 3.5mm adapters on? If so, I've always found those to be very unreliable

You'd be better off with these kind of cables:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product-category/cables/3-5mm-to-6-35mm- cables/

Not saying it's impossible that it's the sockets, but I've never had any reports of Erica sockets being troublesome
dng
I think the Erica is fine too. I will look into getting/making myself more cables.
skreetis
Has anyone else noticed any bleed with this module? I sometimes hear faint sounds from channels that are zeroed. I enjoy the module overall, but it is an issue.
McRINdk
skreetis wrote:
Has anyone else noticed any bleed with this module? I sometimes hear faint sounds from channels that are zeroed. I enjoy the module overall, but it is an issue.

I've these for about 8 mths and love them. I haven't noticed any bleed nbut I'll give it a test.
skreetis
Thanks; I’m curious to see if you have any. I had ch 3 up last night, but could distinctly hear ch 2 coming through. It was a high pitched sound, which may have made it more apparent.
ben_hex
Same as McRINdk ... had them a good while now and not noticed anything on the main outs or the PFL expander.
McRINdk
McRINdk wrote:
skreetis wrote:

I've these for about 8 mths and love them. I haven't noticed any bleed nbut I'll give it a test.

OK I've had a play. Pittsburg VCO and Disting VCO directly into black sterio mixer with all volume knobs full counter clock wise and yes chanels 1,2 and 3 have some bleed through it higer frequencies regardless of wave type. Funnily enough Chanel 4 has no bleed.

I must say I've never noticed this in normal use though so I still love them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2