MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harmonic Engine PCB - circuitbenders.co.uk
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Harmonic Engine PCB - circuitbenders.co.uk
crustypaul
Just thought i'd start a thread about the circuitbenders.co.uk Harmonic Engine PCB.

"......The circuitbenders.co.uk Harmonic Engine PCB is a clone of the E&MM Harmony Generator. This was a project originally designed by Paul Williams, and published in Electronics & Music Maker magazine way back in 1981. The circuit uses a 4046 Phased Locked Loop (PLL) to generate a squarewave oscillator output at harmonic intervals to the frequency of an input signal. The squarewave generated can be set to plus or minus up to three octaves from the input, and can also produce 3rd or 5th harmonies.
Thats the theory anyway. In practice the note tracking only works reliably if you use very basic waveforms at the input. If you use anything else, then everything very quickly descends into a beautiful kind of chaos, with all kinds of bizarre gurgling digital squeaks and squeals vomiting forth. Its especially effective with percussion sounds, converting each hit into some kind of warped electronic splatter."

If anyone comes up with any interesting builds or mods for this board then i'm more than happy to put up a post and link on the circuitbenders site.
masterofstuff124
i love me some 4046 sharty goodness.

Mouser doesnt carry 4526?

were can I get it from?

looking forward to this one.
crustypaul
4526's do appear to have proven unexpectedly difficult to get hold of.

I've no idea about the US, but i got a few from CPC in the UK

try MC14526B, or CD4526, or HEF4526B
flab
that is really interesting, is that you offering this project,or are we ordering from circuitbenders.co.uk ?
unrecordings
Looks like an interesting project, I've just ordered one (via circuitbenders)
Going to build into MOTM format

Im sorry to add though that I think I got the last 4526 from CPC - and Farnell are showing it as discontinued - of course knowing CPC I'll end up with another funky balanced line driver or something and i'll be fooked...
crustypaul
flab wrote:
is that you offering this project,or are we ordering from circuitbenders.co.uk ?

Sorry, that might have been a little confusing. confused
I run circuitbenders.co.uk, but as i keep getting sent emails asking if i know of any mods or if i can supply eurorack panels etc, i thought i'd start a thread on here so i could point people in this direction.

You can buy a PCB through the circuitbenders site. I've put in a link on the first post.
crustypaul
unrecordings wrote:

Im sorry to add though that I think I got the last 4526 from CPC

but what happens when you realise you need 2? eek!

CPC have been showing only 1 in stock for the past couple of weeks.
Starspawn
As for mods, maybe compare schematic to BMC 4046 shaper?
Is there a schematic for this thing?
crustypaul
Schematic at: http://www.mediafire.com/view/a823scr2tbnt7ru/Harmonic_Engine_schemati c.png

Original E&MM Harmony generator schematic that doesn't use pain in the ass Eagle parts at http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Vibrato%20and% 20Pitch%20Shift/EMM%20Harmony%20Generator.PDF
Starspawn
Nice, definetly getting one if someone sources the rare ICs.
unrecordings
crustypaul wrote:
unrecordings wrote:

Im sorry to add though that I think I got the last 4526 from CPC

but what happens when you realise you need 2? eek!

CPC have been showing only 1 in stock for the past couple of weeks.

fortunately had one in my stash already
calaveras
So that's how Prodigy does it.
Ayab
Great sounding project I really like the way circuit benders use electronics so creatively in unexpected ways.

Can you please let me know what difference would it make if I use mylar caps instead of poly film? Are any crucial?

Thanks cool
bloke_zero
Will it run at 15V? Thanks!
crustypaul
Ayab wrote:

Can you please let me know what difference would it make if I use mylar caps instead of poly film? Are any crucial?

I'd be astonished if it made any difference whatsoever. As far as i know mylar is just a brand name for a type of poly film cap.

bloke_zero wrote:
Will it run at 15V? Thanks!

Yes, theres a 9v regulator and it pulls very little current, so 15v should be fine
Ayab
Thanks for reply crustypaul

A load of super cheap green mylar caps were given to me - just don't want to blow any of the chips that add up if I have to replace.
EATyourGUITAR
w00t only one via! great pcb design right there.

did you also make a guitar PCB?
masterofstuff124
hmm this atleast is readily available.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MC14526BDWR2G/?qs =sGAEpiMZZMtsbn1GaJyslzVwwLLwbjUELcylASSAVqo%3d

need a converter. anyone got a good source for pcb to convert SMD to DIP.

maybe it could just be fudged by bending pins?
flab
There are lots of adapter pcbs smd to th you can buy them for almost nothing on ebay
sduck
masterofstuff124 wrote:

need a converter. anyone got a good source for pcb to convert SMD to DIP.

Sparkfun. Or rummage around in my misc parts drawer.
bloke_zero
masterofstuff124 wrote:
Mouser doesnt carry 4526?
were can I get it from?

I got a few hits on ebay searching CD4526
bloke_zero
Bought - you can get a ten pack of CD4526 here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-CD4526BCN-Presettable-4-bit-down-counter -National-Semiconductor-/311430337398?hash=item4882b1d376:g:CYkAAOSwgQ 9V2Mf0

Thanks!
unrecordings
Got my board today - prompt postage from Circuitbenders

Thanks !
Piedwagtail
CD4522s + 2 thumbwheel BCD switches.....

R
crustypaul
Piedwagtail wrote:
CD4522s + 2 thumbwheel BCD switches.....

What about them?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3