MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Model D vs reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Author Minimoog Model D vs reissue
sebber
On Sunday I'll go check out a second hand Model D Reissue I might buy. Are there any issues I should specifically look into? Is there anything else than the lowest key aftertouch issue?
umma gumma
that's all I can think of...?

on some rainy day I will pull mine apart and address that; however it is not bothering me enough to warrant: I'd rather just play the thing

and since it's built with big circuit boards & wiring, just like the original, it's easy to repair if anything ever does go wrong with it
mousegarden
sebber wrote:
On Sunday I'll go check out a second hand Model D Reissue I might buy. Are there any issues I should specifically look into? Is there anything else than the lowest key aftertouch issue?

I have the bottom key thing, but like Umma Gumma I can't be bothered to do anything about it, it's not that important. Apart from that it's a done deal, providing you don't object to the PSU, or the "un-authentic modifications" there's really nothing to dislike, the sound is spot on. I still get a massive grin listening to the oscillators drifting in and out of each other...beautiful.

Lotsa Love
A.S.
umma gumma wrote:
ah, there is a "noise level" adjustment pot inside the new D. I suspect the default noise level is set lower than some of the originals. Have not had time to mess with it though. I need to track down someone with an original, to compare etc

i seem to remember there's a noise level trimmer in the old model D as well. (i found it once, when i tried to find out why there was little to no noise coming from a mini. a little tweaking of that trimmer did the job and if i remember well, it was labelled 'noise level'.

(sorry, i happened to come across this old post, when i was trying to convince myself to buy a re-issue once more. most of the comments say that the new one nails the sound of old. i owned a re-issue very briefly but was disappointed with the sound. not when playing, but when i checked out the very low and high ends, i found the the low note to be sort of a morse code, while way up, the synth was whining. or was it just me?!)
mousegarden
sebber wrote:

Yes, the pitch wheel, it's obscenely stiff, it makes it unusable. Stupid.
Check it out if that's important to you, it's not to me as I never use pitch wheels on synths, but it could be a deal breaker otherwise.
Mushy bottom key.
Some people have noise level issues, but mine seems OK to me.
Apart from these things there really isn't anything else to worry about, it sounds fine to me, most important thing.
TheDegenerateElite
mousegarden wrote:
sebber wrote:

Check it out if that's important to you, it's not to me as I never use pitch wheels on synths, but it could be a deal breaker otherwise.
Mushy bottom key.
Apart from these things there really isn't anything else to worry about, it sounds fine to me, most important thing.

You can easily adjust the tension on the pitch wheel. I've had to do this with my Rogue and and older mini. Haven't had the need to on my re-issue.

Email Moog first and ask permission if you are warranty timid.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
sebber wrote:

Mushy bottom key.

You can easily adjust the tension on the pitch wheel. I've had to do this with my Rogue and and older mini. Haven't had the need to on my re-issue.

Email Moog first and ask permission if you are warranty timid.

Would you be kind enough to give me some info on this? It's not a big deal, but it would be good to sort it out.
umma gumma
mousegarden wrote:

Would you be kind enough to give me some info on this? It's not a big deal, but it would be good to sort it out.

if you are talking about the middle position being too stiff to move w/the nut,
here is a pic & explanation of how this guy did it:

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30194
TheDegenerateElite
Exactly that.

You can adjust tension easily by adding washers to add tension or removing them, and sometimes a nut, to relieve it.

You could also use a pair of pliers to bend the spring steel of the spring, though that is harder to adjust back again in the future.

It is very obvious what to adjust when you open it up.
mousegarden
umma gumma wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

if you are talking about the middle position being too stiff to move w/the nut,
here is a pic & explanation of how this guy did it:

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30194

Thanks a lot, yes I can see it now.

thumbs up
Birth_Chord
I think I’m about to buy a Reissue.

Can’t think of much else to put next to my OB-6 and Korg ARP Odyssey FSQ
Jbone1313
Birth_Chord wrote:

Here’s my two cents.

Saw your posts on GS about the MM and P6. I have both of those, and they are fantastic. But, I am currently experimenting with going completely ITB. So, for now, they are unplugged.

I’m using Legend and Repro-5. They really are close enough. Using the hardware is not making me any more productive or significantly increasing my sound quality. I’ve done comparisons until I’m blue in the face. The ergonomics is not any different to me after I have mapped the important controls.

But, I understand if you have an itch you have to scratch. I’ve been there.

I say don’t wait. Get the real thing ASAP. If you love it and use it all the time, keep it; else sell it.

Whatever you do, don’t get too distracted with comparing and obsessing. What matters is your creative output.
Birth_Chord
Jbone1313 wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:

Here’s my two cents.

Saw your posts on GS about the MM and P6. I have both of those, and they are fantastic. But, I am currently experimenting with going completely ITB. So, for now, they are unplugged.

I’m using Legend and Repro-5. They really are close enough. Using the hardware is not making me any more productive or significantly increasing my sound quality. I’ve done comparisons until I’m blue in the face. The ergonomics is not any different to me after I have mapped the important controls.

But, I understand if you have an itch you have to scratch. I’ve been there.

I say don’t wait. Get the real thing ASAP. If you love it and use it all the time, keep it; else sell it.

Whatever you do, don’t get too distracted with comparing and obsessing. What matters is your creative output.

lol I was just trolling, it's fun to rustle jimmies with such a minimal effort, the art of trolling relies exclusively upon subtlety. I was planning on deleting my GS account (which I did) because it's not enjoyable to be a part of and generally a waste of time so I had to post one of the classics.

I only buy currently manufactured synths, I've said that multiple times, not that anyone would remember. I missed the Minimoog by a few years. I'm saving a year or so more to get the Moog One without any financing. Right now I just make music, strange enough that's super enjoyable.

I've no GAS for anything current except something out of reach, so I just save and practice daily with what I have. Trying to reduce use of MW too even though it's more mature. The reactions here were more tame.
umma gumma
I have great expectations for the Model F, when it gets released
darmklacht@gmail.com
The Minimoog Foyager? hihi
Birth_Chord
Might as well be the Minimoog Forager with the amount of plants in the promos.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Page 7 of 7