MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Model D vs reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Minimoog Model D vs reissue
sunnypedaal
No
On the originals the pitch wheel acts much lighter with far less strong middle dip . Also one of the things noticed when we compared the 2000, 10.000 and reissue
oldgearguy
basehead617 wrote:
I love my D reissue, but I have to say the pitch wheel is unusable with that huge indent. Was that the same in the original?

I can only guess it was before anyone realized how a performer might use a pitch bend wheel.

Yes you need a slight 'home' tick, however bending notes around that huge of an indent is literally impossible to perform with and sounds messed up too.


The original had a metal bar acting like a spring pushing against the wheel indent. You could probably slightly bend that metal to give lighter pressure.

The old Mini's probably were close to the same tightness when new, but after 30+ years of use have loosened up a bit.
pelican
And it's discontinued
needspeed
pelican wrote:
And it's discontinued


Just saw that today as well. Wonder what may be next. Just glad I got one before they are gone again.......Steve
thispoison
needspeed wrote:
pelican wrote:
And it's discontinued


Just saw that today as well. Wonder what may be next. Just glad I got one before they are gone again.......Steve


True, the email form Moog saying it was discontinued was a bit of a surprise.

Made me wonder why - is the market limited and they've sold as many as they are likely to? Is the margin just too low?

Still the best sounding of my monos by a mile, and I'm also so glad I bought one while they were around. Guinness ftw!
GovernorSilver
thispoison wrote:

Made me wonder why - is the market limited and they've sold as many as they are likely to? Is the margin just too low?


https://www.moogmusic.com/news/final-countdown-minimoog-model-d-produc tion-ending

"Our parts-inventory for the Minimoog Model D project was originally expected to span multiple years of manufacturing, but is being consumed at a much higher rate than anticipated. "

In short, they ran out of parts. I guess these are parts they cannot make themselves.
Andrew Montreal
I have spent the past week debating whether to finally buy one or not.
Andrew Montreal
Tried the Roland SE-02. The oscillators sound amazing but the filter is NOWHERE NEAR as engaging.
Muse FTW
Andrew Montreal wrote:
I have spent the past week debating whether to finally buy one or not.


I've been thinking about it as well due to the news of the discontinuation but I've opted for an AJH Minimod system instead.

Most of it has come in (still waiting on the oscillators) but the filter is a dream.
TheDegenerateElite
oldgearguy wrote:
basehead617 wrote:
I love my D reissue, but I have to say the pitch wheel is unusable with that huge indent. Was that the same in the original?

I can only guess it was before anyone realized how a performer might use a pitch bend wheel.

Yes you need a slight 'home' tick, however bending notes around that huge of an indent is literally impossible to perform with and sounds messed up too.


The original had a metal bar acting like a spring pushing against the wheel indent. You could probably slightly bend that metal to give lighter pressure.

The old Mini's probably were close to the same tightness when new, but after 30+ years of use have loosened up a bit.



I adjusted the tension of my Moog Rogue wheel by adding a few washers as spacers between the spring bar and it's mounting. Worked perfectly.

The original is a very hard spring steel that would be tough to properly bend in a controlled way without risking breaking it or overbending it

I would bet anything that the Mini is the same, though I have no dismantled my reissue to mod it...yet.
FlavioB
Hi ppl!
What are the differences component-wise? I mean, I read that the old ua726 have NOT been used, but what about all other components?

Thanks,
F.
calaveras
I got to sit down with one in a store a littel while ago. I was able to use headphones, so I'm pretty sure my judgement wasn't influenced by some kid playing 'Crazy Train' through a shit amp.

Basically I really like the re-issue for doing funky bass sounds. Angular Devo sounds and some other kinds of classic timbres.

I was really disappointed in the sound of the filter being modulated by noise.
Not sure if the noise is not the same, or if the filter is just not as crusty sounding as the vintage Mini I has on extended loan a while back.

However I think this is a characteristic of vintage versus re-issue. Sometimes the sound that we like is an attribute of it being old. Cheap dried up capacitors. Scritchy-scratchy pots and so on.
All I know is that there were certain organic, living sounds which I could summon from an old Mini, that I get nowhere near on the re-issue.
mousegarden
Sorry for starting an unnecessary thread earlier.
After much thought, I'm going to order a Reissue today, I can't seem to find an original in good condition, all the ones I've looked at have been dogs.
After carefully reading the reviews, and listening to the demo"s, it seems OK to me, I was happy with the sound of my Voyager, if not the operational side. But this Reissue should be a different animal to the Voyager, and easier to use. I have to do it now, otherwise the inevitable will undoubtably happen, Moog will cease production. I hope I'm making the right decision?
TheDegenerateElite
You will enjoy it. For practical use and just fun, it is hard to beat.

The only sound difference is that older minis have lots of faults and defects that the pick up over the years, usually from piss poor maintenance. I've had several over the years and sold my last to pay rent at university.....should have just left school. They all had issues like scratchy pots and old caps that affected the sound. I never could get all the pots clean on them, though it's likely just worn resist on the inside of them. How much does replacing them affect the sound?

Plus you can always keep an eye open for vintage in the meantime. But lots of those machines were just hammered. I really think we are down to mostly just the dogs being available with the rare nice instrument.
Synth Con Meo
mousegarden wrote:
I have to do it now, otherwise the inevitable will undoubtably happen, Moog will cease production. I hope I'm making the right decision?


Well Moog has already announced that they are going to stop production. I don't think they have set an actual date but they mentioned that it will be soon. I really like mine, I mess with that more than any other Synth I own. Partly due to the relatively simplicity of the interface (even my cat can play it <-See Avatar) but also because of the incredible sound. Of course I never owned or even touched an original so I can't compare.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
You will enjoy it. For practical use and just fun, it is hard to beat.

The only sound difference is that older minis have lots of faults and defects that the pick up over the years, usually from piss poor maintenance. I've had several over the years and sold my last to pay rent at university.....should have just left school. They all had issues like scratchy pots and old caps that affected the sound. I never could get all the pots clean on them, though it's likely just worn resist on the inside of them. How much does replacing them affect the sound?

Plus you can always keep an eye open for vintage in the meantime. But lots of those machines were just hammered. I really think we are down to mostly just the dogs being available with the rare nice instrument.


All true, rare nice ones are getting almost unobtainable. It's amazing how many awful ones are out there being offered by dealers who are blatantly ripping people off.
TheDegenerateElite
The bad ones are still repairable and good, just not worth what they are being sold for anymore.


If you do repairs yourself it's one thing but to hire out and pay premium in the first place....no.


Te new one solves all of that an sounds excellent. In a track, no one will be able to tell at all. Plus you can afford more gear, like a fooger pedal or the cv expander.

One thing seldolm mentioned are the great new features. The extra cv options are really nice. The aftertouch! The extra LFO. Auto feedback patched. MIDI. It's all little stuff that pushes the new mini to the next level.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
The bad ones are still repairable and good, just not worth what they are being sold for anymore.


If you do repairs yourself it's one thing but to hire out and pay premium in the first place....no.


Te new one solves all of that an sounds excellent. In a track, no one will be able to tell at all. Plus you can afford more gear, like a fooger pedal or the cv expander.

One thing seldolm mentioned are the great new features. The extra cv options are really nice. The aftertouch! The extra LFO. Auto feedback patched. MIDI. It's all little stuff that pushes the new mini to the next level.


Aftertouch? AFTERTOUCH?!!!!!

It's peanut butter jelly time! love love love
TheDegenerateElite
Yeah the new mini has an after pressure (after touch) cv output with a sensitivity pot.

Plus a velocity cv output.

You can re-patch into the minis filter or pitch or send elsewhere.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Yeah the new mini has an after pressure (after touch) cv output with a sensitivity pot.

Plus a velocity cv output.

You can re-patch into the minis filter or pitch or send elsewhere.


Sounds fun...

thumbs up
estin
New model D, you made the right call mouse. Any nagging voices/doubt is just false nostalgia.
Happyanimal
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
The bad ones are still repairable and good, just not worth what they are being sold for anymore.


If you do repairs yourself it's one thing but to hire out and pay premium in the first place....no.


Te new one solves all of that an sounds excellent. In a track, no one will be able to tell at all. Plus you can afford more gear, like a fooger pedal or the cv expander.

One thing seldolm mentioned are the great new features. The extra cv options are really nice. The aftertouch! The extra LFO. Auto feedback patched. MIDI. It's all little stuff that pushes the new mini to the next level.


Definitely- that new LFO, 2 shapes. Don’t have to waste OSC 3 anymore as mod source.
mousegarden
estin wrote:
New model D, you made the right call mouse. Any nagging voices/doubt is just false nostalgia.


Yes, you're right, I'm hoping the knobs work the same as the original, in real time, and aern't like the awful Voyager ones.
TheDegenerateElite
It's all analog and discrete. Everything works in real time.

Why would you think it wouldn't.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
It's all analog and discrete. Everything works in real time.

Why would you think it wouldn't.


Sometimes Moog speak with fork tongue...

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group