MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Model D vs reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Minimoog Model D vs reissue
s o l v e n t
Hi - are there any forum discussions (here on on other forums) where people have compared the sound of vintage Minimoog Model Ds with the reissue? Or does anyone here have / used both and have any thoughts? I know there is all the usual "no 2 vintage synths sound the same" argument but I'm just wondering if there is any consensus on whether Moog Music totally nailed the sound or maybe not quite?

thanks

Jason
drip.feed
The August 2016 Sound on Sound review said it was essentially sonically indistinguishable from the original. The new decay and release times are slightly shorter due to pots that can no longer be sourced. But that's about it. The reviewer was Gordon Reid.
XXXEsq
I bought one. #63. I've owned 3 minis in the past, one from the late 70s and 2 from the early 80s. Should have never sold them and regretted it daily, but no way was I going to spend the kind of money people were asking for a really clean and properly serviced vintage one. Bought a new one the first week they were available. I've had it for a few months now and I have to say they nailed it! I love this little thing! Sounds and feels the same as the old ones, but with a few modern upgrades and the dedicated LFO. Certainly not inexpensive, but I can't recommend one enough.
dadek
I owned an original, late 70s one for years. This thing is nails it.

Where it surprised me unexpectedly was in lifting it up, the familiarity of the weight, the texture, everything about other than being dusty was 1 to 1 with all the memories of my experience. [so I do qualify that with my 'memories'.]

But you just won't find a more solid, bad ass synth alive... it's the real deal.
Considering that the the old osc vs new osc vintage minis sound different. wW ich osc mini do they nail old or new osc?

I am very interested in the new one, but that damn fatar keyboard throws me off. I dislike the feel of the fatar keyboard on the Moog 953 I bought recently. The vintage Mini's keyboard is one of my favorites to play on, it really feels wonderful.

How is the fatar on that?
SteeVtheRipper
I believe they're going for the 2 version of the oscillator cards. So not the RA Moog ones, the ones after that but before the last version. So I think it's technically the old oscillator if people view the last version as the newer one, but not the oldest version. If that makes sense.

I'm curious about the power supply and why they took it out, and what they put in its place.

I'm not too into the Fatar keys either. The old Minimoog, as well as many other vintage keyboards, used a Pratt Reed style keyboard. Metal frame, metal keys, metal bus bars and contacts. Solid solid solid. These new keyboards are mostly plastic. Push too hard in the wrong direction and you're screwed. I'd sacrifice the weight for the reliability. But hey, no ones making quality keyboards these days. No other options.
vav
I have serial #312. While i've never owned an original, i've played them many times from multiple years. The reissue IS a minimoog, full stop.
CalvaryBand
I owned one of the older Minimoogs (a mid 70's one) and it, of course, sounded superb. I spent some time with the new Model D at Knobcon and that one sounded superb as well. I am slightly picky with Moogs; I used one of the early 80's Model Ds and it just sounded ok and owned a Voyager that possessed a sound that was not to my taste at all.
Synth Con Meo
I have S/N 215 and digging the hell out of it. I can't compare the original to the reissue since I've never even touched one before. I just jumped in with faith of liking it. Plus I figured if it really isn't/wasn't what I was expecting I could sell it. I have the SOS edition where as mentioned it was reviewed and was stated as that they nailed it.

I think the one thing that was mentioned in the review was that the noise is a little more attenuated then the original. I do find that it does seem a little bit low volume but I haven't really used it a whole lot yet for anything other than messing around.

IMHO I think Moog did a real good job with reproducing the Model D. Especially with the fact that they had to have some components remade that was stopped in production years ago. And I think that the Pratt and Reed keyboards are no longer produced and couldn't be reproduced. So they had to go with what the could (good or bad).

Also the extra additions that they made were probably about right without going too far away from the original. Also as mentioned in the SOS review that the reviewer contacted Moog about why they didn't add a few other things. The response was that Moog said that the architecture would have to be altered to implement some of the other changes. That would have then moved it away from being/sounding like the original.

I can't keep my hands off it and have been neglecting all my other gear.
Escapegoat
Another Reissue owner here, and one who doesn't know what the original sounded like in person (have heard it in music for many, many years, of course.)

It's like no other synth I've had, in that it feels like an instrument. Like a piano or a guitar; you switch on and play. Making music and patching are part of the same process. That's in contrast to every other synth I've had where somehow the effort needed to set up a sound feels different and separate to the actual playing. Maybe it's me, but this is the first synth I've had which works like that. It's musical and rewarding almost everywhere your hand falls. A delightful revelation.

Caveat: and I feel this way despite that fact I have only two of the Minimoog's three oscillators working. Not sure why yet - either it's been jogged in transit or there's a factory mistake. I've got a date with a vintage synth repair guy in a couple of weeks (it's a grey import so it's not really possible the hassle the local distributor!)

Will update later.
jdkee
Escapegoat wrote:

It's like no other synth I've had, in that it feels like an instrument. Like a piano or a guitar; you switch on and play.

THIS.

It is an instrument first and foremost. Hands on simply a wonderful instrument. I feel lucky to own one. And glad that Moog made them available again after so long.
SteeVtheRipper
It really is a great time to be a synth player. And what a great instrument to bring back. Synth royalty. How cool is it that people are able to get their hands on a Minimoog again? Many for the first time. Just fantastic.
mor4sso
They really do sound amazing and you also have the stability and flexibility of a more modern synth (midi, key tracking board, etc) while still nailing that OG sound.
modulargrey
Never owned an original but just started doing some recordings with mine (#10) and am blown away how organic it sounds.

This is something I put together other other day, quite a few sounds are Minimoog.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/modulargrey/click[/s]
calaveras
I'd be curious if the noise works as well as a mod source. That is one thing that I've found the Mini does better than anything else I tried.
When I try and make a similar patch on most other synths (some Moogs even) it just sounds like oh, some noise and a filter.
On the mini it sounds like an actual animal lives in the Moog.
Troubleshooter
I have a reissue for about a week now.
The most expensive instrument I ever bought.
Never owned or played a vintage one.

Tried to exactly recreate Pink Floyd's Shine on you crazy diamond brass sounds but can't really nail it. I am close but can't recreate the warmth and accoustic character. Choosing the right FX might be still the issue.

I guess it will take some time to fully understand it even with it's very basic architecture.

I do have a vintage Micromoog and Prodigy. This thing sound even more moog than those. Very very happy customer.
Cymatics
I had both side by side for a week and spent at least eight hours A/Bing them.
I think Moog got it spot on with the new one.
My old Moog the same 'old' osc board as the original, and despite what people say, it was super stable in terms of tuning. The new one is too.

I sold my '70's one as the new one ticked all the boxes, plus the additional LFO and features are nice to have. Two months later I'm yet to find any reason to miss the Original.
DigitalNativeDunce
It is great. Anyone who thinks they're getting something better by buying an old one is wasting their time and money.
smitty.west
My friends original Model D was THE synth that started my obsession. For years I dreamt of THAT sound, but never had the balls to pull the trigger on an old one. The day the reissue Model D was announce was the day my dreams came true. I can faithfully say that Moog 100% nailed the SOUND of the originals with this brilliant reissue. I hear ZERO difference to my friends. Such an amazing instrument.
commodorejohn
It's great to hear that this lives up to the real deal. I've been wanting to get one for years, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out for a Voyager when they screwed around with the design on it in some significant ways (much as we owe to Bob Moog, I think I'd classify him in with Laurens Hammond in the group of "engineers who don't quite grasp that technical 'improvements' don't always actually improve an instrument,") so having the option to get the real thing with built-in MIDI and a warranty...yeah, count me the hell in smile
smitty.west
does anyone think moog will release an analog poly anytime soon?
pelican
Doubt it
sunnypedaal
Yesterday compared a serial 2000, a serial 10.000 and a rerelased
The rereleased sounded good but clearly different from the other two ( old and new osc board).
Besides differences in feel ( more smooth / oiled like pots , hard middle klick in pitchwheel, smaller amount of modulation on modwheel etc) the new re-released is soundwise more between a voyager and a old minimoog.
Old bass more distinct, saw wave different pattern/ more high upertones, filter less clean etc
The new ones are really nice instruments, but still prefer a well kept older type
"Testing "on dutchsynthforum
Was a nice ocassion
drxcm
I had both an old board and a reissue for a short while.
Everything about the reissue is better so I kept it
My old board D did sound a bit diffferent- slightly woolly, more unstable, noise in some pot. Yes it definitely sounded more vintage. But the pains of tuning it so often sucked. I prefer the sound of the reissue. It is very close.

Midi, in my opinion a better keyboard than the original, and the extra LFO are all great upgrades too

No regrets selling my old one.
basehead617
I love my D reissue, but I have to say the pitch wheel is unusable with that huge indent. Was that the same in the original?

I can only guess it was before anyone realized how a performer might use a pitch bend wheel.

Yes you need a slight 'home' tick, however bending notes around that huge of an indent is literally impossible to perform with and sounds messed up too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5