MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Model D vs reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Minimoog Model D vs reissue
s o l v e n t
Hi - are there any forum discussions (here on on other forums) where people have compared the sound of vintage Minimoog Model Ds with the reissue? Or does anyone here have / used both and have any thoughts? I know there is all the usual "no 2 vintage synths sound the same" argument but I'm just wondering if there is any consensus on whether Moog Music totally nailed the sound or maybe not quite?

thanks

Jason
drip.feed
The August 2016 Sound on Sound review said it was essentially sonically indistinguishable from the original. The new decay and release times are slightly shorter due to pots that can no longer be sourced. But that's about it. The reviewer was Gordon Reid.
XXXEsq
I bought one. #63. I've owned 3 minis in the past, one from the late 70s and 2 from the early 80s. Should have never sold them and regretted it daily, but no way was I going to spend the kind of money people were asking for a really clean and properly serviced vintage one. Bought a new one the first week they were available. I've had it for a few months now and I have to say they nailed it! I love this little thing! Sounds and feels the same as the old ones, but with a few modern upgrades and the dedicated LFO. Certainly not inexpensive, but I can't recommend one enough.
dadek
I owned an original, late 70s one for years. This thing is nails it.

Where it surprised me unexpectedly was in lifting it up, the familiarity of the weight, the texture, everything about other than being dusty was 1 to 1 with all the memories of my experience. [so I do qualify that with my 'memories'.]

But you just won't find a more solid, bad ass synth alive... it's the real deal.
Considering that the the old osc vs new osc vintage minis sound different. wW ich osc mini do they nail old or new osc?

I am very interested in the new one, but that damn fatar keyboard throws me off. I dislike the feel of the fatar keyboard on the Moog 953 I bought recently. The vintage Mini's keyboard is one of my favorites to play on, it really feels wonderful.

How is the fatar on that?
SteeVtheRipper
I believe they're going for the 2 version of the oscillator cards. So not the RA Moog ones, the ones after that but before the last version. So I think it's technically the old oscillator if people view the last version as the newer one, but not the oldest version. If that makes sense.

I'm curious about the power supply and why they took it out, and what they put in its place.

I'm not too into the Fatar keys either. The old Minimoog, as well as many other vintage keyboards, used a Pratt Reed style keyboard. Metal frame, metal keys, metal bus bars and contacts. Solid solid solid. These new keyboards are mostly plastic. Push too hard in the wrong direction and you're screwed. I'd sacrifice the weight for the reliability. But hey, no ones making quality keyboards these days. No other options.
vav
I have serial #312. While i've never owned an original, i've played them many times from multiple years. The reissue IS a minimoog, full stop.
CalvaryBand
I owned one of the older Minimoogs (a mid 70's one) and it, of course, sounded superb. I spent some time with the new Model D at Knobcon and that one sounded superb as well. I am slightly picky with Moogs; I used one of the early 80's Model Ds and it just sounded ok and owned a Voyager that possessed a sound that was not to my taste at all.
Synth Con Meo
I have S/N 215 and digging the hell out of it. I can't compare the original to the reissue since I've never even touched one before. I just jumped in with faith of liking it. Plus I figured if it really isn't/wasn't what I was expecting I could sell it. I have the SOS edition where as mentioned it was reviewed and was stated as that they nailed it.

I think the one thing that was mentioned in the review was that the noise is a little more attenuated then the original. I do find that it does seem a little bit low volume but I haven't really used it a whole lot yet for anything other than messing around.

IMHO I think Moog did a real good job with reproducing the Model D. Especially with the fact that they had to have some components remade that was stopped in production years ago. And I think that the Pratt and Reed keyboards are no longer produced and couldn't be reproduced. So they had to go with what the could (good or bad).

Also the extra additions that they made were probably about right without going too far away from the original. Also as mentioned in the SOS review that the reviewer contacted Moog about why they didn't add a few other things. The response was that Moog said that the architecture would have to be altered to implement some of the other changes. That would have then moved it away from being/sounding like the original.

I can't keep my hands off it and have been neglecting all my other gear.
Escapegoat
Another Reissue owner here, and one who doesn't know what the original sounded like in person (have heard it in music for many, many years, of course.)

It's like no other synth I've had, in that it feels like an instrument. Like a piano or a guitar; you switch on and play. Making music and patching are part of the same process. That's in contrast to every other synth I've had where somehow the effort needed to set up a sound feels different and separate to the actual playing. Maybe it's me, but this is the first synth I've had which works like that. It's musical and rewarding almost everywhere your hand falls. A delightful revelation.

Caveat: and I feel this way despite that fact I have only two of the Minimoog's three oscillators working. Not sure why yet - either it's been jogged in transit or there's a factory mistake. I've got a date with a vintage synth repair guy in a couple of weeks (it's a grey import so it's not really possible the hassle the local distributor!)

Will update later.
jdkee
Escapegoat wrote:

It's like no other synth I've had, in that it feels like an instrument. Like a piano or a guitar; you switch on and play.

THIS.

It is an instrument first and foremost. Hands on simply a wonderful instrument. I feel lucky to own one. And glad that Moog made them available again after so long.
SteeVtheRipper
It really is a great time to be a synth player. And what a great instrument to bring back. Synth royalty. How cool is it that people are able to get their hands on a Minimoog again? Many for the first time. Just fantastic.
mor4sso
They really do sound amazing and you also have the stability and flexibility of a more modern synth (midi, key tracking board, etc) while still nailing that OG sound.
modulargrey
Never owned an original but just started doing some recordings with mine (#10) and am blown away how organic it sounds.

This is something I put together other other day, quite a few sounds are Minimoog.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/modulargrey/click[/s]
calaveras
I'd be curious if the noise works as well as a mod source. That is one thing that I've found the Mini does better than anything else I tried.
When I try and make a similar patch on most other synths (some Moogs even) it just sounds like oh, some noise and a filter.
On the mini it sounds like an actual animal lives in the Moog.
Troubleshooter
I have a reissue for about a week now.
The most expensive instrument I ever bought.
Never owned or played a vintage one.

Tried to exactly recreate Pink Floyd's Shine on you crazy diamond brass sounds but can't really nail it. I am close but can't recreate the warmth and accoustic character. Choosing the right FX might be still the issue.

I guess it will take some time to fully understand it even with it's very basic architecture.

I do have a vintage Micromoog and Prodigy. This thing sound even more moog than those. Very very happy customer.
Cymatics
I had both side by side for a week and spent at least eight hours A/Bing them.
I think Moog got it spot on with the new one.
My old Moog the same 'old' osc board as the original, and despite what people say, it was super stable in terms of tuning. The new one is too.

I sold my '70's one as the new one ticked all the boxes, plus the additional LFO and features are nice to have. Two months later I'm yet to find any reason to miss the Original.
DigitalNativeDunce
It is great. Anyone who thinks they're getting something better by buying an old one is wasting their time and money.
smitty.west
My friends original Model D was THE synth that started my obsession. For years I dreamt of THAT sound, but never had the balls to pull the trigger on an old one. The day the reissue Model D was announce was the day my dreams came true. I can faithfully say that Moog 100% nailed the SOUND of the originals with this brilliant reissue. I hear ZERO difference to my friends. Such an amazing instrument.
commodorejohn
It's great to hear that this lives up to the real deal. I've been wanting to get one for years, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out for a Voyager when they screwed around with the design on it in some significant ways (much as we owe to Bob Moog, I think I'd classify him in with Laurens Hammond in the group of "engineers who don't quite grasp that technical 'improvements' don't always actually improve an instrument,") so having the option to get the real thing with built-in MIDI and a warranty...yeah, count me the hell in smile
smitty.west
does anyone think moog will release an analog poly anytime soon?
pelican
Doubt it
sunnypedaal
Yesterday compared a serial 2000, a serial 10.000 and a rerelased
The rereleased sounded good but clearly different from the other two ( old and new osc board).
Besides differences in feel ( more smooth / oiled like pots , hard middle klick in pitchwheel, smaller amount of modulation on modwheel etc) the new re-released is soundwise more between a voyager and a old minimoog.
Old bass more distinct, saw wave different pattern/ more high upertones, filter less clean etc
The new ones are really nice instruments, but still prefer a well kept older type
"Testing "on dutchsynthforum
Was a nice ocassion
drxcm
I had both an old board and a reissue for a short while.
Everything about the reissue is better so I kept it
My old board D did sound a bit diffferent- slightly woolly, more unstable, noise in some pot. Yes it definitely sounded more vintage. But the pains of tuning it so often sucked. I prefer the sound of the reissue. It is very close.

Midi, in my opinion a better keyboard than the original, and the extra LFO are all great upgrades too

No regrets selling my old one.
basehead617
I love my D reissue, but I have to say the pitch wheel is unusable with that huge indent. Was that the same in the original?

I can only guess it was before anyone realized how a performer might use a pitch bend wheel.

Yes you need a slight 'home' tick, however bending notes around that huge of an indent is literally impossible to perform with and sounds messed up too.
sunnypedaal
No
On the originals the pitch wheel acts much lighter with far less strong middle dip . Also one of the things noticed when we compared the 2000, 10.000 and reissue
oldgearguy
basehead617 wrote:
I love my D reissue, but I have to say the pitch wheel is unusable with that huge indent. Was that the same in the original?

I can only guess it was before anyone realized how a performer might use a pitch bend wheel.

Yes you need a slight 'home' tick, however bending notes around that huge of an indent is literally impossible to perform with and sounds messed up too.

The original had a metal bar acting like a spring pushing against the wheel indent. You could probably slightly bend that metal to give lighter pressure.

The old Mini's probably were close to the same tightness when new, but after 30+ years of use have loosened up a bit.
pelican
And it's discontinued
needspeed
pelican wrote:
And it's discontinued

Just saw that today as well. Wonder what may be next. Just glad I got one before they are gone again.......Steve
thispoison
needspeed wrote:
pelican wrote:
And it's discontinued

Just saw that today as well. Wonder what may be next. Just glad I got one before they are gone again.......Steve

True, the email form Moog saying it was discontinued was a bit of a surprise.

Made me wonder why - is the market limited and they've sold as many as they are likely to? Is the margin just too low?

Still the best sounding of my monos by a mile, and I'm also so glad I bought one while they were around. Guinness ftw!
GovernorSilver
thispoison wrote:

Made me wonder why - is the market limited and they've sold as many as they are likely to? Is the margin just too low?

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/final-countdown-minimoog-model-d-produc tion-ending

"Our parts-inventory for the Minimoog Model D project was originally expected to span multiple years of manufacturing, but is being consumed at a much higher rate than anticipated. "

In short, they ran out of parts. I guess these are parts they cannot make themselves.
Andrew Montreal
I have spent the past week debating whether to finally buy one or not.
Andrew Montreal
Tried the Roland SE-02. The oscillators sound amazing but the filter is NOWHERE NEAR as engaging.
Muse FTW
Andrew Montreal wrote:
I have spent the past week debating whether to finally buy one or not.

I've been thinking about it as well due to the news of the discontinuation but I've opted for an AJH Minimod system instead.

Most of it has come in (still waiting on the oscillators) but the filter is a dream.
TheDegenerateElite
oldgearguy wrote:
basehead617 wrote:

The original had a metal bar acting like a spring pushing against the wheel indent. You could probably slightly bend that metal to give lighter pressure.

The old Mini's probably were close to the same tightness when new, but after 30+ years of use have loosened up a bit.

I adjusted the tension of my Moog Rogue wheel by adding a few washers as spacers between the spring bar and it's mounting. Worked perfectly.

The original is a very hard spring steel that would be tough to properly bend in a controlled way without risking breaking it or overbending it

I would bet anything that the Mini is the same, though I have no dismantled my reissue to mod it...yet.
FlavioB
Hi ppl!
What are the differences component-wise? I mean, I read that the old ua726 have NOT been used, but what about all other components?

Thanks,
F.
calaveras
I got to sit down with one in a store a littel while ago. I was able to use headphones, so I'm pretty sure my judgement wasn't influenced by some kid playing 'Crazy Train' through a shit amp.

Basically I really like the re-issue for doing funky bass sounds. Angular Devo sounds and some other kinds of classic timbres.

I was really disappointed in the sound of the filter being modulated by noise.
Not sure if the noise is not the same, or if the filter is just not as crusty sounding as the vintage Mini I has on extended loan a while back.

However I think this is a characteristic of vintage versus re-issue. Sometimes the sound that we like is an attribute of it being old. Cheap dried up capacitors. Scritchy-scratchy pots and so on.
All I know is that there were certain organic, living sounds which I could summon from an old Mini, that I get nowhere near on the re-issue.
mousegarden
Sorry for starting an unnecessary thread earlier.
After much thought, I'm going to order a Reissue today, I can't seem to find an original in good condition, all the ones I've looked at have been dogs.
After carefully reading the reviews, and listening to the demo"s, it seems OK to me, I was happy with the sound of my Voyager, if not the operational side. But this Reissue should be a different animal to the Voyager, and easier to use. I have to do it now, otherwise the inevitable will undoubtably happen, Moog will cease production. I hope I'm making the right decision?
TheDegenerateElite
You will enjoy it. For practical use and just fun, it is hard to beat.

The only sound difference is that older minis have lots of faults and defects that the pick up over the years, usually from piss poor maintenance. I've had several over the years and sold my last to pay rent at university.....should have just left school. They all had issues like scratchy pots and old caps that affected the sound. I never could get all the pots clean on them, though it's likely just worn resist on the inside of them. How much does replacing them affect the sound?

Plus you can always keep an eye open for vintage in the meantime. But lots of those machines were just hammered. I really think we are down to mostly just the dogs being available with the rare nice instrument.
Synth Con Meo
mousegarden wrote:
I have to do it now, otherwise the inevitable will undoubtably happen, Moog will cease production. I hope I'm making the right decision?

Well Moog has already announced that they are going to stop production. I don't think they have set an actual date but they mentioned that it will be soon. I really like mine, I mess with that more than any other Synth I own. Partly due to the relatively simplicity of the interface (even my cat can play it <-See Avatar) but also because of the incredible sound. Of course I never owned or even touched an original so I can't compare.
mousegarden
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
You will enjoy it. For practical use and just fun, it is hard to beat.

The only sound difference is that older minis have lots of faults and defects that the pick up over the years, usually from piss poor maintenance. I've had several over the years and sold my last to pay rent at university.....should have just left school. They all had issues like scratchy pots and old caps that affected the sound. I never could get all the pots clean on them, though it's likely just worn resist on the inside of them. How much does replacing them affect the sound?

Plus you can always keep an eye open for vintage in the meantime. But lots of those machines were just hammered. I really think we are down to mostly just the dogs being available with the rare nice instrument.

All true, rare nice ones are getting almost unobtainable. It's amazing how many awful ones are out there being offered by dealers who are blatantly ripping people off.
TheDegenerateElite
The bad ones are still repairable and good, just not worth what they are being sold for anymore.

If you do repairs yourself it's one thing but to hire out and pay premium in the first place....no.

Te new one solves all of that an sounds excellent. In a track, no one will be able to tell at all. Plus you can afford more gear, like a fooger pedal or the cv expander.

One thing seldolm mentioned are the great new features. The extra cv options are really nice. The aftertouch! The extra LFO. Auto feedback patched. MIDI. It's all little stuff that pushes the new mini to the next level.
mousegarden
The bad ones are still repairable and good, just not worth what they are being sold for anymore.

If you do repairs yourself it's one thing but to hire out and pay premium in the first place....no.

Te new one solves all of that an sounds excellent. In a track, no one will be able to tell at all. Plus you can afford more gear, like a fooger pedal or the cv expander.

One thing seldolm mentioned are the great new features. The extra cv options are really nice. The aftertouch! The extra LFO. Auto feedback patched. MIDI. It's all little stuff that pushes the new mini to the next level.

Aftertouch? AFTERTOUCH?!!!!!

It's peanut butter jelly time! love love love
TheDegenerateElite
Yeah the new mini has an after pressure (after touch) cv output with a sensitivity pot.

Plus a velocity cv output.

You can re-patch into the minis filter or pitch or send elsewhere.
mousegarden
Yeah the new mini has an after pressure (after touch) cv output with a sensitivity pot.

Plus a velocity cv output.

You can re-patch into the minis filter or pitch or send elsewhere.

Sounds fun...

thumbs up
estin
New model D, you made the right call mouse. Any nagging voices/doubt is just false nostalgia.
Happyanimal

Definitely- that new LFO, 2 shapes. Don’t have to waste OSC 3 anymore as mod source.
mousegarden
estin wrote:
New model D, you made the right call mouse. Any nagging voices/doubt is just false nostalgia.

Yes, you're right, I'm hoping the knobs work the same as the original, in real time, and aern't like the awful Voyager ones.
TheDegenerateElite
It's all analog and discrete. Everything works in real time.

Why would you think it wouldn't.
mousegarden
It's all analog and discrete. Everything works in real time.

Why would you think it wouldn't.

Sometimes Moog speak with fork tongue...

hihi
misterphoneman
I have been curious about this topic as of late, especially with all the Behringer talk.
mousegarden
misterphoneman wrote:
I have been curious about this topic as of late, especially with all the Behringer talk.

I couldn't get the Behringer, I can understand it's appeal, obviously cost is an important thing. But a Mini Moog isn't all about sound, it's the feel of it, the way it's laid out, the knobs are really good quallity, and smooth, the whole thing feels like it's a proper, quality instrument, and all that feeds back into how it makes you feel and play it. It just depends if all these things are worth the extra money to you.
misterphoneman
Agreed. I own a Voyager myself, was even lucky enough to bag one of those limited 24k gold knobs Moog sent out to registered customers on the Voyager's 10th anniversary. I've been contemplating getting a Moog Model D yet at the same time I still may even get a Behringer if even just to have in my bedroom to noodle around with.

I almost wish Behringer hadn't purposely modeled it after a Model D and just said they were putting out a solid analog mono synth but I guess that was part of the allure. If I wind up getting one, I'll close my eyes and disassociate it from all things Moog. I'll just try and appreciate it for what it is and not get caught up in the hoopla. seriously, i just don't get it
Xmit
^
yeah - I got one of those knobs from Moog too - I use it as a key fob. sadly I don't have the Voyager anymore though...

But what Mouse says about the 'feel' of Moog is spot on - I don't think I'd get that feel from a Behringer at all...

I must say I absolutely love my 2 x Mother -32 set-up : even though the form factor is small it absolutely delivers that Moog 'feel' in terms of quality of components, the way the knobs feel etc. I actually prefer my 2 x M32s to my Voyager sonically too.
A new Mini would be great, but I'm more of a sequencer guy than a player tbh & space is at a premium too for me, so the Mothers scratch my Moog itch perfectly.
etherline
I've been thinking about this for several weeks and decided to do it today. While I have a Minimod system which I really like there has always just been something about the Model D that I covet. I like that it has been thoughtfully and sparingly updated but that the guts are identical.

I doubt that it will be reissued / cloned to quite this level of detail again in my lifetime so while the price was steep (but 'Black Friday' helped) I decided it was worth it.

I think that's worth a banana Rockin' Banana!
thispoison
Congrats etherline, it's very unlikely you'll regret it.

Nothing against the Behringer in any way at all, but the Moog Model D is the Moog Model D.

It's worth a bunch. It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

(Which is four, or many more as we sixties kids know)
estin
I'm still tempted to get a model D, and I am not even a keyboard player nor do I care much for the moog sound. The instrument and the interface just seem wonderful.
Synth Con Meo
estin wrote:
I'm still tempted to get a model D, and I am not even a keyboard player nor do I care much for the moog sound. The instrument and the interface just seem wonderful.

I'm an embarrassing keyboard player or even a musician for that matter. But I just love my Reissue. I pounce on that more than any other Synth I own. I think that I do owe it to the really nice and simplistic interface. Plus for me I really love the sound. Especially in the hands of someone who knows how to really make is sing.
mousegarden
After a lot of hought, and mulling over the alternatives, these are the reasons I'm phoning the dealer this morning to order a Reissue.

1...In a mix, virtually any of the clones would do the job, a lead line, a bass, things like that, a Reissue would be a waste of money. But the Mini is going to be my "only" sound source, it won't be hiding behind anything, I want to use it on it's own, through my effects, live.

2...The bass depth, IMO nothing can equal the bass power of a Mini, I want to feature that in my music, it's an essential element to ad contrast and variation when using just one instrument for me.

3... The size, the ergonomics, the feel, and the simplicity. As I'm an older guy, I need to clearly see what I'm doing at a glance, no tiny knobs, no wobbly knobs, no awkwardly placed module and a seperate master keyboard of dubious quality.

4... I love the Moog sound, simple, always have done, it's got all the feel and richness of an acoustic instrument, the only other synth hat can live up to that is a Buchla, but that's a whole different application for me, I wouldn't use a Buchla to do what I'm planning for the Mini Moog.
I don't care about blind tests, I'll admit that maybe a lot of this is psychological, fine, that's great, but I want a Moog in front of me.

5..I'm not going to buy an original, I need something reliable, the Reissue should also hold its value, as they have ceased production. I won't be selling it anyway, so resale isn't really an issue, this synth will see me out I guess.
etherline
mousegarden wrote:
.. I'm phoning the dealer this morning to order a Reissue..

Before you phone your dealer - did you note my comment about Black Friday? PM me if you want to know more.
mousegarden
etherline wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
.. I'm phoning the dealer this morning to order a Reissue..

Before you phone your dealer - did you note my comment about Black Friday? PM me if you want to know more.

I can't seem to pm you, no links without an avatar.
Black Friday is next week 24th? right?
misterphoneman
I've had my Voyager for years and it has crossed my mind from time to time to swap it out for a Model D. I like the fact that the Voyager has presets and the touch pad is a nice 'touch', if you will. But I see that the general consensus is that the Voyager doesn't hold a candle to the Model D, tone-wise.

I have contemplated just having them both but it's hard to justify that much money invested into two mono synths! Now you guys have got me thinking about getting rid of my Voyager once again while I can still get some value out of it! confused
mousegarden
I've bought a Model D at a greatly reduced price, a few hundred off, they also said they would match any Black Friday deal if it's cheaper.
I'm not going to be able to take delivery until a week on Monday, but I'm looking forward to it, understatement.

thumbs up
estin
^ Nice and congrats. I'm sure you will finally fill that void you've had. I wish I could get the same Model D look and feel, but it sounded more like a polivoks or MS-20 Mr. Green In all fairness I might actually like the Model D Moog sound. The rest i've owned were just always too dark and tame.
mousegarden
estin wrote:
^ Nice and congrats. I'm sure you will finally fill that void you've had. I wish I could get the same Model D look and feel, but it sounded more like a polivoks or MS-20 Mr. Green In all fairness I might actually like the Model D Moog sound. The rest i've owned were just always too dark and tame.

Thnaks, yes I'm looking forward to it, I'm also after a Korg MS10, I haven't got any analogue synths at the mo, the Moog is going to be very welcome. I have my modular, but I don't use it for keyboard duties, it's a texture generator, it doesn't have Midi and it's not connected to other things.
There's something nice about the immediacy and simplicity of a classic analogue mono.
etherline

*That* was worth the wait! Just seems so immediate and aggressive. I can feel the Starsky and Hutch theme coming on in a minute..

There are definitely some artifacts around the behaviour in relation to the way you play it. With osc 2 on triangle at maximum gain and osc 1 sawtooth but lower an octave above the release of the triangle seems somehow to lag a tiny bit. Not in an unpleasing way - it seems very natural. It could just be psychoacoustic, but it's not something I've noticed with the Minimod.

Not having the MIDI lag peps it up as well.

[edit]..and I don't care what anyone else says, the keyboard is like butter. It has a slightly more resistant, rubbery feel to it than I'm used to (Yamaha) but it suits the Moog sound and those classic 70s funk lines[/edit]
mousegarden
etherline wrote:

*That* was worth the wait! Just seems so immediate and aggressive. I can feel the Starsky and Hutch theme coming on in a minute..

There are definitely some artifacts around the behaviour in relation to the way you play it. With osc 2 on triangle at maximum gain and osc 1 sawtooth but lower an octave above the release of the triangle seems somehow to lag a tiny bit. Not in an unpleasing way - it seems very natural. It could just be psychoacoustic, but it's not something I've noticed with the Minimod.

Not having the MIDI lag peps it up as well.

[edit]..and I don't care what anyone else says, the keyboard is like butter. It has a slightly more resistant, rubbery feel to it than I'm used to (Yamaha) but it suits the Moog sound and those classic 70s funk lines[/edit]

Are you saying the lag is on the Minimod, not the Model D?
I'm unpacking this really carefully when I get it, if there's anything I'm unhappy about it's going straight back. Keyboard feel, extra clicky envelopes, any sort of lag etc, mind you, I won't be using it over Midi.
thispoison
etherline wrote:
I can feel the Starsky and Hutch theme coming on in a minute..

It's always the Rockford Files for me.

No regrets for me on the Model D reissue, not one.

Have fun!
etherline
mousegarden wrote:

Are you saying the lag is on the Minimod, not the Model D?
I'm unpacking this really carefully when I get it, if there's anything I'm unhappy about it's going straight back. Keyboard feel, extra clicky envelopes, any sort of lag etc, mind you, I won't be using it over Midi.

Don't worry, I was referring to the difference between a keyboard which (as I understand) sends a direct control voltage and a microprocessor scanned one with the addition of the time taken to transmit MIDI messages to wherever and then re-interpret them at the other end.

So, yes, the Minimod feels comparatively laggy because I address it (until now) through a MIDI interface. The Minimoog keyboard just 'feels' fast and I am gaining a real appreciation of what others have been saying about it being a musical instrument rather than just a synth. It seems to have behaviour which is the interaction of all its parts and I love it for that.

Even just something simple like being able to do a fingertip glissando (which is real Minimoog territory) very smoothly. It doesn't work so well on the Yamaha keyboards I am used to because there's a 'clacky' feel to the keys and a tendency to catch your finger part way. None of that on the re-issue.

I was talking to an old friend last night and enthusing about the re-issue. He was equally enthusiastic about the vintage Minimoog he had recently bought but I think he was a little jealous of the extra features of the re-issue.
etherline
thispoison wrote:
etherline wrote:

Excellent choice!
mousegarden
etherline wrote:
thispoison wrote:
etherline wrote:

Excellent choice!

I can't wait to pretend I'm in "Caravan"...

hihi
estin
mousegarden wrote:

Don't psych yourself out man, its going to be great. Just let it happen Om
etherline
mousegarden wrote:

hihi

I may end up living in one when I have to pay off my credit card. Dead Banana
mmp
I ordered one from Alto Music. $2999.00 US plus a $449.00 gift code Alto Bucks kickback. Bought a Touché with the Alto Bucks. Woohoo! Oh, and 24 month 0% financing. I couldn’t resist any longer.
Synth Con Meo
mmp wrote:
I ordered one from Alto Music. $2999.00 US plus a $449.00 gift code Alto Bucks kickback. Bought a Touché with the Alto Bucks. Woohoo! Oh, and 24 month 0% financing. I couldn’t resist any longer.

That's great. I got mine when the first were available. Got it on a 36 month 0% finance deal at Sweetwater. I have it almost paid off now. I've actually been toying with getting a Touché lately. I was originally thinking of a touch strip but maybe the Touché would wok better and be more versatile.
mousegarden
etherline wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

hihi

I may end up living in one when I have to pay off my credit card. Dead Banana

Classic!!

thumbs up

I'm looking at a Buchla now, caravan? it'll be a shop doorway and a blanket for me probably!
patrickdafunk
i love my model d re-issue! and it's great as the earlier versions..! but even greater to modulate velocity and pressure on the reissue. Moog did an amazing job
bwhittington
etherline wrote:
Not in an unpleasing way - it seems very natural. It could just be psychoacoustic, but it's not something I've noticed with the Minimod

etherline wrote:
..and I don't care what anyone else says, the keyboard is like butter.

etherline wrote:
Even just something simple like being able to do a fingertip glissando (which is real Minimoog territory) very smoothly.

Completely agree. I got one earlier this year and just fell in love. I'm by no means an accomplished keyboardist, but the feel of the keyboard and the nice robust controls lend themselves to playing in a way the clone products I've gotten to sample really haven't. Couldn't be happier with that aspect.
Sebastian Cain
I really, really , REALLY wish they hadn’t used an external power supply.... mine came out of the factory packaging in pieces ( arrived a week ago Monday) and Moog predicts they may be able to ship out a replacement line lump ps by the end of this week very frustrating

Nobody has spares in stock and it’s a meanwell with a custom connector so Moog is the only source- better order a couple of spares or hope Moog stocks them forever. I’m impressed with the craftsmanship of the mini but man that ps line lump is crap construction quality. Why did they go through the reissue effort then cut corners on the ps?
mousegarden
Sebastian Cain wrote:
I really, really , REALLY wish they hadn’t used an external power supply.... mine came out of the factory packaging in pieces ( arrived a week ago Monday) and Moog predicts they may be able to ship out a replacement line lump ps by the end of this week very frustrating

Nobody has spares in stock and it’s a meanwell with a custom connector so Moog is the only source- better order a couple of spares or hope Moog stocks them forever. I’m impressed with the craftsmanship of the mini but man that ps line lump is crap construction quality. Why did they go through the reissue effort then cut corners on the ps?

My main gripe too, my D is being delivered today, hopefully the PSU will be in tact!
estin
I am the odd man out but I much prefer an external power supply. If it ever takes a crap just toss it no need to hire a tech to fix it. Plug might be proprietary but you can always wire a new psu to that plug, or make an adapter to standardize it.
Xmit
^
Moog could've done what Studiologic did with the Sledge... From the outside it looks like a 'proper' PSU: IEC socket on the back panel for a standard cable..but open it up & a £2 wall-wart PSU is simply screwed onto the case interior & the cable has been wired to the IEC socket applause very frustrating applause
Xmit
^
actually thinking of it, I'm wrong - it's not an IEC but a Fig.8 connector / cable on the Sledge, but you catch my drift.
estin
Access does this with their keyboard versions as well as the Blofeld keys I think also. So funny to see that in line brick just screwed down inside the case.
chvad
Waldorf also did this... at least for the XTk.
Sebastian Cain
I can live with an external ps but it would have been nice if it was housed in an aluminum and/or wood enclosure that matches the mini and not a brittle, flyweight plastic box. Just sayin. cool
Ockeghem
Not a cheap power supply,
But may be worth getting the extra one. seriously, i just don't get it
Then again my dotcom PSU costs Too. meh
Illwiggle
I own a late 70's model D. Tried the reissue at GC & was impressed. The Pratt-Reed keys of the original with new key-bushings is like butter, makes it feel like a Cadillac or something.....they.didnt quite nail that feeling with the reissue, but no biggie. The sound was pretty spot on......I was able to get all the same sounds & character Id get on my OG model at home.....If I lost my
Model D, Id consider the reissue for sure
mousegarden
My Model D didn't arrive yesterday as planned, UPS messed up, typical.
I rang them because the tracking info said "delayed" I asked the girl why it was delayed, she said "because it hasn't been despatched" I said why wasn't it despatched? She said "because it was delayed" I gave up at that point...

Dead Banana

I just looked at the tracking info, it's "out for delivery" it's snowing here, so anything could happen....

Dead Banana Dead Banana

PS, I'm ordering a spare psu today as well.
estin
^ better post some un-boxing pics of you with your new model D. This has been a long journey getting here and some of us are quite invested. Miley Cyrus
mousegarden
estin wrote:
^ better post some un-boxing pics of you with your new model D. This has been a long journey getting here and some of us are quite invested. Miley Cyrus

UPS messed up AGAIN! Dead Banana

Look at this...

The box was really badly damaged, and arrived open! There is also a hole in the inner box.
The UPS driver dumped it on the doorstep without a signature, it's lucky I caught him, he said the box was damaged because it had been "handled a lot"
What about the fragile sticker! His face was bright red, and I just told him it was out of order and I'll be taking it further. They couldn't give a fuck.
Thankfully whatever made that hole in the inner box didn't touch the bottom of the synth.
I think someone tried to steal it, and looked inside the box, but may have been disturbed.

OK, it's working fine, I'm not going to say much except....
If there's anyone here whose in doubt about the sound forget all that, it's a Mini Moog, OK? it looks feels and sounds like one, it "is" one! that's all you need to know.
My girlfriend is in love with it, she wants to connect a Therimin to it!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
mousegarden
PS, it came with a cool poster, Prog Lives, Keith Emerson.
khakifridge
mousegarden wrote:

UPS is pronounced "oops". For a reason... wink

Crushed corners and holes seem to be par for the course these days. confused I went to pick up a box from the warehouse one time to find it had been tossed in the corner, half-sitting in a puddle. No, they don't give a shit.

But glad you got your new toy, and unscathed, despite its adventures. applause
mousegarden
khakifridge wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

UPS is pronounced "oops". For a reason... wink

Crushed corners and holes seem to be par for the course these days. confused I went to pick up a box from the warehouse one time to find it had been tossed in the corner, half-sitting in a puddle. No, they don't give a shit.

But glad you got your new toy, and unscathed, despite its adventures. applause

Yes, I'm looking at it now, propped up in the corner awaiting those damn pesky slightly very annoying darstadly f*****g shitting carpet fitters to put carpet in my studio for Christs sake!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

umma gumma
congrats, mousegarden!

I think you are going to like it

here is a pic of mine. no complaints, or regrets whatsoever on my end

mousegarden
umma gumma wrote:
congrats, mousegarden!

I think you are going to like it

here is a pic of mine. no complaints, or regrets whatsoever on my end

Yes, it's amazing, this is thee most satisfying purchase I think I've ever made.
I even enjoyed reading the manual over breakfast this morning, even though I didn't need to, it reminded me of the easy to understand world of the 70's!
I'll say again, if any of you folks are doubting the performance of this Moog in any way, please don't, it'll give you all the thrills and spills of an original, plus more.
Nice combination you've got there Umma, a Mini and a Rhodes, what more could one need?!

thumbs up hihi
estin
^ The voyager XL sneaking in on the right doesn't hurt either. hihi
umma gumma
haha...good eye

it is a tight fit, along that wall!
vav
So i got serial number #312 on August 26 of 2016. Today, i turned on the synth and it made a super weird sound when i hit some keys and fizzled out. Seems like VCO 1 died....and the warranty was only one year. So that's awesome.

I'll report back once it's diagnosed

confused
mousegarden
vav wrote:
So i got serial number #312 on August 26 of 2016. Today, i turned on the synth and it made a super weird sound when i hit some keys and fizzled out. Seems like VCO 1 died....and the warranty was only one year. So that's awesome.

confused

Vav, that's terrible, fingers crossed here eek! Be interested to know what that's all about.
Also be interested to know how many have been returned for service?
vav
mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:

confused

Vav, that's terrible, fingers crossed here eek! Be interested to know what that's all about.

Moog took care of the shipping back, dunno about diagnosis yet, it left to head back to Asheville today. I did ask if they'd seen any other units have this happen to and Adam did mention that he'd heard of one or two others...i think he said it was a bad transistor in one but i'm not 100% sure.
mousegarden
vav wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:

confused

Moog took care of the shipping back, dunno about diagnosis yet, it left to head back to Asheville today. I did ask if they'd seen any other units have this happen to and Adam did mention that he'd heard of one or two others...i think he said it was a bad transistor in one but i'm not 100% sure.

Transistor? Whats that!? hihi

Hope you get it back soon, with an explanation.
vav
Heard back from Moog, it was a bad capacitor in the VCO core. They also fixed the lowest key, which has always felt a little tight, action-wise, by regluing the the pressure strip under the key...apparently it was a little bunched up down there.

They covered my shipping to and from, so i'm only out $90 bucks....which is mostly great, but this definitely colors my perception of how this synth will hold up for the rest of its life.
JayEm
vav wrote:
Heard back from Moog, it was a bad capacitor in the VCO core. They also fixed the lowest key, which has always felt a little tight, action-wise, by regluing the the pressure strip under the key...apparently it was a little bunched up down there.

They covered my shipping to and from, so i'm only out $90 bucks....which is mostly great, but this definitely colors my perception of how this synth will hold up for the rest of its life.

just think of this reissue as giving you the full experience of owning one of the originals Rockin' Banana!
vav
JayEm wrote:
vav wrote:

just think of this reissue as giving you the full experience of owning one of the originals Rockin' Banana!

"You too can go through the trials and tribulations of a 30 year old synth...today!" hihi
mousegarden
vav wrote:
"You too can go through the trials and tribulations of a 30 year old synth...today!" hihi

Ha Ha! Yes, "the vintage experience" there's a whole new business opportunity there! hihi
I can't get used to that pitch bend wheel, I can't ever remember the original being so stiff and lumpy. Also, the amount of pitch bend is huge.
I'm still happy, but I'm hearing artefacts between oscillators, strange harmonic, beating effects, not sure if this is normal or not, basically, the whole feel of the instrument is a bit "weak" "peaky" it may be pilot error though.
mousegarden
vav wrote:
They also fixed the lowest key, which has always felt a little tight, action-wise, by regluing the the pressure strip under the key...apparently it was a little bunched up down there

Thats interesting, I've just noticed that my lowest key feels different from the rest, it's softer, there isn't a firm "bottoming out" like all the others, it feels like it's sinking into a mush. This is worrying, even though this thing is obviously well made, quallity control and inspection is obviously lacking, absolutely not on with a product of this pedigree.
vav
mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:

Ha Ha! Yes, "the vintage experience" there's a whole new business opportunity there! hihi
I can't get used to that pitch bend wheel, I can't ever remember the original being so stiff and lumpy. Also, the amount of pitch bend is huge.
I'm still happy, but I'm hearing artefacts between oscillators, strange harmonic, beating effects, not sure if this is normal or not, basically, the whole feel of the instrument is a bit "weak" "peaky" it may be pilot error though.

dunno, next to this vco dying this synth is exactly what i've been searching for. It's so powerful and i can't seem to make it sound shitty. Every patch is amazing. no weirdness, no odd tuning/calibration, just set and play. it's awesome. but..

mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:
They also fixed the lowest key, which has always felt a little tight, action-wise, by regluing the the pressure strip under the key...apparently it was a little bunched up down there

Thats interesting, I've just noticed that my lowest key feels different from the rest, it's softer, there isn't a firm "bottoming out" like all the others, it feels like it's sinking into a mush. This is worrying, even though this thing is obviously well made, quallity control and inspection is obviously lacking, absolutely not on with a product of this pedigree.

..yeah. that squish, or resistance, is what i was feeling too. So i guess that's a common problem with the pressure strip.

Honestly i'm kinda bummed with Moog over this. I mean it's a dead capacitor in a synth less than a year and half old, i really don't think i should have to pay a cent....it was dodgy part. And yeah, shit happens, but part of the allure here is that i really own my first minimoog, with hearts in my eyes like a kid on christmas morning.

To have them go "Oh yeah, dead cap, $90 please." just kinda...i dunno, it made the magic disappear a little for me. It's not just another synth in my studio, but a little bit of that moog mystique is gone for me.

Maybe i'll get it back when the synth comes home and plug it back in, who knows. I mean it's just $90.

seriously, i just don't get it Dead Banana
mousegarden
vav wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:

dunno, next to this vco dying this synth is exactly what i've been searching for. It's so powerful and i can't seem to make it sound shitty. Every patch is amazing. no weirdness, no odd tuning/calibration, just set and play. it's awesome. but..

mousegarden wrote:
vav wrote:

..yeah. that squish, or resistance, is what i was feeling too. So i guess that's a common problem with the pressure strip.

Honestly i'm kinda bummed with Moog over this. I mean it's a dead capacitor in a synth less than a year and half old, i really don't think i should have to pay a cent....it was dodgy part. And yeah, shit happens, but part of the allure here is that i really own my first minimoog, with hearts in my eyes like a kid on christmas morning.

To have them go "Oh yeah, dead cap, $90 please." just kinda...i dunno, it made the magic disappear a little for me. It's not just another synth in my studio, but a little bit of that moog mystique is gone for me.

Maybe i'll get it back when the synth comes home and plug it back in, who knows. I mean it's just $90.

seriously, i just don't get it Dead Banana

I'm not concerned about that bottom key, I'm not shipping it back just because of that. Although I am going to call the dealer to make him aware of it. As long as anything else doesn't go wrong, that's the main thing. Are they using genuine old stock components in some areas? That could exaplin the quick failure rate. Seems a bit silly though.
Yes, mine is OK, you're right, I sat down last night with it and a few potentially finished tracks came out, it is almost impossible to make it sound bad, and even if it does sound bad it's in a good way! hihi
Synthbuilder
mousegarden wrote:

I can't say I was ever a fan of the original. I have modified some units over the years to give a much wider dead band in the middle and less range. Although for one chap, I increased the range and got rid of the mechanical notch in the middle. Horses for courses I guess.

Quote:

It could be that you're driving the filter a little hard. Sorry, if this is obvious, but if any of the oscillator levels are over 75% they tend to produce some obvious growling. This is a good thing sometimes of course.
Synthbuilder
mousegarden wrote:
Thats interesting, I've just noticed that my lowest key feels different from the rest, it's softer, there isn't a firm "bottoming out" like all the others, it feels like it's sinking into a mush.

I think that is the pressure strip as Vav says. There's a bit of foam strip stuck onto the resistor sensor that is part of the aftertouch. It comes loose and once, on a DSI MEK, I saw it rucked up forming a slightly higher area. It can be pulled off and stuck down properly but it's not generally a job for the customer.
mousegarden
Synthbuilder wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Thats interesting, I've just noticed that my lowest key feels different from the rest, it's softer, there isn't a firm "bottoming out" like all the others, it feels like it's sinking into a mush.

I think that is the pressure strip as Vav says. There's a bit of foam strip stuck onto the resistor sensor that is part of the aftertouch. It comes loose and once, on a DSI MEK, I saw it rucked up forming a slightly higher area. It can be pulled off and stuck down properly but it's not generally a job for the customer.

The dealer has offered to take it back and get it sorted, I don't know what to do, it's a minor thing, and I don't want to be without the synth. But I suppose I should get it fixed, not sure?
umma gumma
I would wait a while, the warranty is for a year? make sure everything else is stable and if it bothers you talk to them about it

my lowest key feels a bit different than the others, but it's not really an issue for me
mmp
Moog offers a three year warranty extension for addition money.
Blairio
mmp wrote:

Interesting. So a hand made product, employing hand-picked components, assembled in (probably) ideal working conditions by a (one imagines) skilled workforce cannot be reasonably expected (on the balance of probabilities) to go for more than a year without developing issues.

These instruments will lead charmed, cosseted lives, for the most part not leaving the studio or home they were introduced into. The idea that the purchaser should have to pay out more for peace of mind beyond year one is absurd - a 'piss-take' in British parlance. It speaks volumes for Moog's quality control processes. In fact the issues with the keybed on their own should sound loud alarm bells in Asheville. These things should carry a 2 year warranty at least. I say 'things' advisedly, because at the and of the day they are just mono synths, albeit being punted for king's ransom.

Yes they sound good, but so do many other 3 VCO mono's with that model of filter and a mixer stage you can overdrive. The Roland SE-02 shows that you can get great sound and build quality for a (small) fraction of the series D price - with total recall and a sequencer thrown in.
mousegarden
Blairio wrote:
mmp wrote:

Interesting. So a hand made product, employing hand-picked components, assembled in (probably) ideal working conditions by a (one imagines) skilled workforce cannot be reasonably expected (on the balance of probabilities) to go for more than a year without developing issues.

These instruments will lead charmed, cosseted lives, for the most part not leaving the studio or home they were introduced into. The idea that the purchaser should have to pay out more for peace of mind beyond year one is absurd - a 'piss-take' in British parlance. It speaks volumes for Moog's quality control processes. In fact the issues with the keybed on their own should sound loud alarm bells in Asheville. These things should carry a 2 year warranty at least. I say 'things' advisedly, because at the and of the day they are just mono synths, albeit being punted for king's ransom.

Yes they sound good, but so do many other 3 VCO mono's with that model of filter and a mixer stage you can overdrive. The Roland SE-02 shows that you can get great sound and build quality for a (small) fraction of the series D price - with total recall and a sequencer thrown in.

I've got 3 years warranty with DV247, it comes automatically with no extra charge. They offered to give me a full refund, but they can't exchange it as they have no more left!
I wanted the Moog for what it is, but I'm beginning to think I'd have been better off hanging out for an original, it may have had zero problems, in the long run. I've got a supposedly more reliable version. Apart from the bottom key, a couple of the rocker switches are catching on the front of the case making them feel scratchy. All in all this is just not on for a product like this allegedly made with "great care and attention"
I bought it without the price being an issue, that's not what it's all about, and I will be gigging with it should the need arise, after all, it is an instrument to be used as it was originally intended to be, it's not a museum piece.
mmp
I think it is a bit unfair to suggest that because an extended warranty is available that the instruments are somehow less reliable or suspect. The fact is that for any given manufacturer there will be issues with some units. I really have seen no evidence that the new Minimoogs are shoddily made instruments. I own one and it seems very solidly made to me. I have no issue with you not liking Moog as a company, but this line of argument seems a bit of a stretch for a new line of Moog bashing.

Blairio wrote:
mmp wrote:

revtor
A year should reasonably cover anything that Moog could control. Individual transistors or things like that going bad after a year come down to the manufacture of those actual parts. Although I agree, the keyboards should’ve been checked out perhaps a little better from the start, and $90 is steep for a warranty repair, a transistor going bad on a couple of units is just the way it is I imagine, and no way about it -shipping a mini is a pita.

Let’s not pretend either that the thousands of minis that went out in the 70s and 80s we’re all perfect. There were more bad parts decades ago. Maybe a longer or more stressful burn in procedure could have been implemented?

Manufactures of almost every product offer an extended warranty that’s business and manufacturing 101. Take it or leave it, a good option for some!

Any tech worth his salt should be able to troubleshoot and repair a mini and the parts are all fairly common so play that thing and love it for decades... Don’t let a 4 cent part sour the amazingness that the
Minimoog brings every time you turn it on!

-Steve.
(37 year old Minimoog here, needs a lot more than one transistor. Still produces blissful pure electronic sound)
Blairio
mmp wrote:
I think it is a bit unfair to suggest that because an extended warranty is available that the instruments are somehow less reliable or suspect. The fact is that for any given manufacturer there will be issues with some units. I really have seen no evidence that the new Minimoogs are shoddily made instruments. I own one and it seems very solidly made to me. I have no issue with you not liking Moog as a company, but this line of argument seems a bit of a stretch for a new line of Moog bashing.

Blairio wrote:
mmp wrote:

Actually I'm not particularly Moog bashing. I have had a few over the years (all 2nd hand) starting with a lates series D I bought in '87 for £400 - not £3400. I like moogs well enough. What I am driving at is that consumers are entitled to expect a higher standard of quality and quality control from a 'premium' product commanding a premium price tag - be it a synth or a car or a cat-flap. A manufacturer's heightened confidence in their product should be expressed through the warranty they offer. I think a year's warranty is very conservative for a top dollar product *from any maker* - that's all. The MTBF (mean time before failure) of any component employed should exceed by orders of magnitude the use the synth (or car or catflap) is going to get in a year.
mousegarden
I'm taking my Mini back to to the dealer, two more keys have gone spongy, the pitch wheel is more than annoying, it's unusable for that function in my opinion. I can't remember my original Mini being "that" stiff.
I'm a bit apprehensive about sending it back though, it's knocked my confidence as I'm worried something else may go wrong, but what am I going to replace it with? I need a good mono-synth with a nice rich sound, alternatives? The Korg Odyssey FS, it will have Korg build quality and reliability, but the sound isn't a Mini Moog. The only other two things I can think of that may fit the bill are the Matrix Brute, or, on a different tack, the new Prophet Rev2.
I know this key thing can be fixed, but for the money I payed it doesn't feel right anymore, if it was a Behringer for very little money you make considerations, but not with this new Moog. An original may have a few little things wrong, but it's to be expected, all in all I am dissapointed, I'd rather just get something else.
revtor
Vermona 14 maybe? Not a mini that’s for sure, but is definitely a great monosynth. Dominion? That’s another beast of a mono.

How about a vintage mini?
Blairio
Try a Roland SE-02, partnered with a decent controller keyboard like a Roland A500 Pro (and no, I am not a Roland Rep). Together they will come to roughly £750.

Blair edit - check the SE-02's specification and architecture. It is very close to the series D, as you would expect from Studio Electronics' involvement.
thispoison
Don't do it Mouse.

I'd guess things probably went wrong with a few of the original Minimoogs soon after delivery, when they were still the price of a good new car?

We should expect that now if original designs have been adhered to?

Looking at maybe buying a 1948 AJS Model 18c soon myself. Ground up restoration by a great man using a lot of rare and expensive NOS parts - don't expect it will prove too reliable in years to come, but hey, I don't want a modern reliable commuter - it's not really the point?
misterbunty
I've been following this thread with an interested caution.

My Minimoog is a beautiful piece of engineering, but I've been a bit put-off by the stiff pitch wheel, as a few others have been. Folks have been saying that this was standard for minis of this vintage, but I'm not entirely charmed by that. Still, I'm willing to live with it.

What does worry me is that my lowest key is also very spongy. I wasn't thinking this was a big deal until I saw a few others, here, with the issue.

Are folks returning it? I got mine on a payment plan from Zzounds. Would dread having to ship it.
umma gumma
someone on the Moog forum posted a fix for the stiff pitch wheel: I think there is a nut you can replace with a thinner one, which is what makes contact at the center point & affects the "catch" resistance
umma gumma
interesting: I just worked the aftertouch on my lowest key for a few mins, and now it feels just like the rest of the keybed

give that a shot?
mousegarden
umma gumma wrote:
interesting: I just worked the aftertouch on my lowest key for a few mins, and now it feels just like the rest of the keybed

give that a shot?

Thanks, I thought of that too, but I only did it a couple of times, I was frightened of damaging the keybed. I'll have another go, this time for a bit longer. It makes sense this fix, because, if the padding is bunched up, it could flatten it enough to make it feel right. I was also wondering if the padding has got bunched up at the bottom it could be from the synth being stood on its end for a long time, especially if the glue wasn't applied properly, or isn't strong enough??
mousegarden
OK, I've spent a few minutes pressing the jeys down to trigger the aftertouch, being very careful. It's improved, without a shadow of doubt, it's now at a point where the keys are "almost" identical in response to the normal ones, I doubt whether anyone would notice it if I didn't point it out.
I guess they may get even better with more use.

thumbs up
vav
The more you use that spongy lowest key, the better it feels, but then it ends up bunching up again. I didn't really see it as a problem, but since they had it for the dead VCO i had them look at it anyway, and they basically just reglued it. It's fine now. So i'm sure if everyone with the issue said "we want this fixed" they'd fix it.

As for my issue, once they charged my card that $90 they ended up shipping it to the wrong address after i'd confirmed the proper one, and i had to contact them to reroute the package. It showed up quickly and #312 is safely back home in area code 312, and it sounds incredible and i'm still madly in love with it.

I'm not mad or anything anymore, shit happens, capacitors go bad, etc. But i guess overall i'm fairly certain i'd think twice about buying a Moog product again.
mousegarden
vav wrote:
The more you use that spongy lowest key, the better it feels, but then it ends up bunching up again. I didn't really see it as a problem, but since they had it for the dead VCO i had them look at it anyway, and they basically just reglued it. It's fine now. So i'm sure if everyone with the issue said "we want this fixed" they'd fix it.

As for my issue, once they charged my card that $90 they ended up shipping it to the wrong address after i'd confirmed the proper one, and i had to contact them to reroute the package. It showed up quickly and #312 is safely back home in area code 312, and it sounds incredible and i'm still madly in love with it.

I'm not mad or anything anymore, shit happens, capacitors go bad, etc. But i guess overall i'm fairly certain i'd think twice about buying a Moog product again.

Yeah, I guess I'll send it back, it's just not on for a product like this, it's like taking delivery of a new Aston Martin and finding the electric seats don't work, but you've paid £300,000 for the privilege
umma gumma
I was looking around for a description of how the Fatar aftertouch works, and fixes ( I assume the D uses a Fatar bed? ) and found this fellow, who had to reglue his Prophet 12 aftertouch strip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_khCVIp8zM

long video, but interesting; he pulls it all apart. At the end he discovers that plastic doublesided tape is not the ideal adhesive.
calaveras
So I've tried out a few of my go to patches on the Mini re-issue at Main Drag and a couple guitar centers and B&H photo. I don't know what is different about it but I just can't get that David Kronenberg pulsating thing going on with the noise and LFO modulating the filter. Not sure if the noise is different, or the way that it mixes the LFO and the noise is different.
Other patches like my default kind of bass sounds and stuff work great though. And as I am so fond of saying, I think a lot of what we love about old synths is the old. That crackle in the knob is the mojo!
Maybe I should sell a dust infused compressed air can as instant synth mojo. Hmmmm.

I should have just stolen the Moog I had on loan 15 years ago. That thing was fucking perfect once I fixed the fuse holders. The owners son had cannibalized it for the fuse holders so he could put fuses on his car audio system. Yeah, he butchered a 70's Minimoog so he could bump Cypress Hill in his Glass House.
umma gumma
calaveras wrote:
So I've tried out a few of my go to patches on the Mini re-issue at Main Drag and a couple guitar centers and B&H photo. I don't know what is different about it but I just can't get that David Kronenberg pulsating thing going on with the noise and LFO modulating the filter. Not sure if the noise is different, or the way that it mixes the LFO and the noise is different.
Other patches like my default kind of bass sounds and stuff work great though. And as I am so fond of saying, I think a lot of what we love about old synths is the old. That crackle in the knob is the mojo!
Maybe I should sell a dust infused compressed air can as instant synth mojo. Hmmmm.

ah, there is a "noise level" adjustment pot inside the new D. I suspect the default noise level is set lower than some of the originals. Have not had time to mess with it though. I need to track down someone with an original, to compare etc
calaveras
The more I think about it. I feel like the noise on the OG Mini I used to have was more spiky. It wasn't just pink or white noise. It had more variability in level I think?
I can understand why they may not have sweated too much over getting the noise just right. Noise, randomness and such are more West coast school. On the godfather of subtractive synths it's more a tone source than a modulation for most folks.

I do have to give props to Moog for adding the aftertouch and velocity CV outs. That is pretty damn cool right there. Makes me wish they weren't doing a limited run of them, cuz my economics right now don't put me in the position to be purchasing any $4000 synths.
mousegarden
umma gumma wrote:
I was looking around for a description of how the Fatar aftertouch works, and fixes ( I assume the D uses a Fatar bed? ) and found this fellow, who had to reglue his Prophet 12 aftertouch strip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_khCVIp8zM

long video, but interesting; he pulls it all apart. At the end he discovers that plastic doublesided tape is not the ideal adhesive.

That's madness, I'm going to see how it goes, the dealer is standing by to give me a full refund if necessary, can't get fairer than that.
I'm thinking of getting a Minimod system if the worst comes to the worst.
estin
bummer it went this way. If you do end up sending it back I think it would be hard to go wrong with an AJH synth minimod set in a waldorf KB37 controller. Conversely, the WMD monolith would be awesome and you have enough free space to drop in a ladder filter of your choice ( AJH Synth) hihi
vav
umma gumma wrote:
calaveras wrote:

ah, there is a "noise level" adjustment pot inside the new D. I suspect the default noise level is set lower than some of the originals. Have not had time to mess with it though. I need to track down someone with an original, to compare etc

I had no idea about that noise level adjustment.
calaveras
I looked up the manual and apparently there is white pink and red noise. When it's an audio source it's white or pink, when it's a mod source it's pink or red. That is interesting that it works that way. Wonder if that is a choice they made, or if that reflects how the OG Minimoog works?
I'm still wondering if there was some kind of out of production germanium transistor or something that comprised part of the old noise circuit.
CZ Rider
The Minimoog always had the three noise types of red, pink, and white. There were many revisions during the production run of original Minimoogs.
There was a noise source revision on the later Norlin era Minimoogs. I have both an earlier 40XX and a later 10,7XX Mini. The noise source on the older revision Mini is clearly louder. Not sure why they changed the circuit?

Here is the original noise schematic.

And the later revision noise source.

Both use a selected 2N3392 as the noise source, but there are differences in the resistors in the amplifier stage. Also the input resistor to the filter is 11K on the old and 12K on the newer revision. Guessing the reissue is constructed from the latest revision schematics.

The keyboard revisions on the reissue are nice with aftertouch and velocity. But they really missed the opportunity to take the Mini into new sonic territory by making it polyphonic. With three oscillators one could easily play chords via the digitally scanned keyboard ?
calaveras
I see that those are both pretty similar circuits, and it's not a hard to source transistor. I wonder what accounts for my perception that the noise is different?

I agree that it would have been cool to make the Mini paraphonic. But the target demo doesn't want an innovated Mini. They want a Mini like Bernie Worrell and Keith Emerson used.
mousegarden
calaveras wrote:
I agree that it would have been cool to make the Mini paraphonic. But the target demo doesn't want an innovated Mini. They want a Mini like Bernie Worrell and Keith Emerson used.

That's an interesting one, I wonder how many people bought these reissues to emulate their heroes? I like Emerson and Worrel, but I've no desire to play or sound like them, even though they were big influences on me, and so was the Moog.
I bought this Moog for a very simple reason, I need a nasty, dirty, "big" sound that's got a lot of depth and movement, and the Mini Moog is the best that I can think of in this department. It's going through a chain of guitar effects anyway, and the sound is just beautiful, change the filter or the modulation and tuning just a tiny bit and it produces massive changes in harmonics and tone. It just suits my style of noise based free-improv perfectly.
I also love the sound of 2 oscillators tuned to a fifth on a Moog, nothing sounds the same, a bit of filter modulation and detune and it's pure heaven, another reason I bought the Mini.
If I have to send it back I don't know what else could replace it. It's a tough one, but hopefully all will be OK.
etherline
So after a rough day at work I thought I would wind down by having a play on my Minimoog reissue. Mistake. Happily noodling away and all of a sudden one key simply stops making a sound. No physical fault that I can detect but this key just doesn't work. No CV output, no trigger, no velocity, no sound.

So I'm trying to work out my options. It's still less than a year since I bought it but the idea of shipping it doesn't appeal. I'll contact the retailer but I wondered if anyone has any ideas what the possible range of faults could be with the symptoms? I'd be surprised by debris in the contact pad as I always keep it covered when not using it. Could I have hit the key too hard and damaged something? Are there electronic faults that would affect a single key? Is this a common issue?
rowsbywoof
etherline wrote:
So after a rough day at work I thought I would wind down by having a play on my Minimoog reissue. Mistake. Happily noodling away and all of a sudden one key simply stops making a sound. No physical fault that I can detect but this key just doesn't work. No CV output, no trigger, no velocity, no sound.

So I'm trying to work out my options. It's still less than a year since I bought it but the idea of shipping it doesn't appeal. I'll contact the retailer but I wondered if anyone has any ideas what the possible range of faults could be with the symptoms? I'd be surprised by debris in the contact pad as I always keep it covered when not using it. Could I have hit the key too hard and damaged something? Are there electronic faults that would affect a single key? Is this a common issue?

It would be that key, not something with the synth. The Fatar keyboards use a small conductive spot that makes contact, and that likely failed or is dirty. It’s not a big deal to fix or replace, but you’d have to open up the Mini to do it and that would likely void your warranty. It seems crazy to say this, but this synth is too new to be even asking a forum for help with.

Email or call Moog. Tell them what’s up. They’ll get you sorted.
EPTC
CZ Rider wrote:
The Minimoog always had the three noise types of red, pink, and white. There were many revisions during the production run of original Minimoogs.
There was a noise source revision on the later Norlin era Minimoogs. I have both an earlier 40XX and a later 10,7XX Mini. The noise source on the older revision Mini is clearly louder. Not sure why they changed the circuit?

Here is the original noise schematic.

And the later revision noise source.

Both use a selected 2N3392 as the noise source, but there are differences in the resistors in the amplifier stage. Also the input resistor to the filter is 11K on the old and 12K on the newer revision. Guessing the reissue is constructed from the latest revision schematics.

The keyboard revisions on the reissue are nice with aftertouch and velocity. But they really missed the opportunity to take the Mini into new sonic territory by making it polyphonic. With three oscillators one could easily play chords via the digitally scanned keyboard ?

Great Post, CZ!

Easy access to the Red Noise out on the reissue is my single favorite part of the new Model D. It's a super chaotic very stormy Red, too - Makes other Red noise sources sound very restrained and even.

Sort of like having a cool thunderstorm on call if you want.

Curious if this is replicated in the Behringer D; can anyone take an insert cable out of the Mod Out to see if you get Red/Pink noise output on one of the Tip or Ring?
mor4sso
mousegarden wrote:
calaveras wrote:

That's an interesting one, I wonder how many people bought these reissues to emulate their heroes? I like Emerson and Worrel, but I've no desire to play or sound like them, even though they were big influences on me, and so was the Moog.
I bought this Moog for a very simple reason, I need a nasty, dirty, "big" sound that's got a lot of depth and movement, and the Mini Moog is the best that I can think of in this department. It's going through a chain of guitar effects anyway, and the sound is just beautiful, change the filter or the modulation and tuning just a tiny bit and it produces massive changes in harmonics and tone. It just suits my style of noise based free-improv perfectly.
I also love the sound of 2 oscillators tuned to a fifth on a Moog, nothing sounds the same, a bit of filter modulation and detune and it's pure heaven, another reason I bought the Mini.
If I have to send it back I don't know what else could replace it. It's a tough one, but hopefully all will be OK.

agreed. its a monster, and its really fast and easy to use. very fun to play and nothing touches it on bass.

vintage model ds are badass too, but I love my reissue smile i have a bond with it w00t
mousegarden
mor4sso wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
calaveras wrote:

agreed. its a monster, and its really fast and easy to use. very fun to play and nothing touches it on bass.

vintage model ds are badass too, but I love my reissue smile i have a bond with it w00t

I had an urge to sell mine recently, nothing to do with the Moog, just a bad mood.
It looks good when I walk in the room, it's like a bit of furniture that's been in the family for years, it's comforting too. So it's probably going to stay for the duration.
However, that stodgy bottom key has returned, I'm not sure what to do about that, it's not a big problem, just slightly irritating.
umma gumma
I emailed Moog asking about that bottom key & they sent instructions to reglue the sensor strip. I said I wasn't willing to ship it back, just for that!
codemode
umma gumma wrote:
I emailed Moog asking about that bottom key & they sent instructions to reglue the sensor strip. I said I wasn't willing to ship it back, just for that!
they sent to me as well, they always get right back to me within one day. The overlay on the left-hand panel also started to curl up and get sorta bubbly, not sure if this is common, they sent a replacement immediately and only charge for shipping.
...and just for the record as another well-versed minimoog user they nailed it, it's an amazing instrument. It's like having an old Moog from a time machine. One thing that sorta surprised me was they used an exterrnal SMPS! Sacrilege! However, the sound/tone is 100% there so they did a good job... make it's more efficient, cheaper to manufacture, and keeps some heat outside of the synth.
mor4sso
The external power supply is a smart decision imo, It's easily replaceable. w00t
codemode
mor4sso wrote:
The external power supply is a smart decision imo, It's easily replaceable. w00t
It's not that it's external that bothered me. I wouldn't mind a brick with a huge transformer in it, was just surprised they used a switching power supply. There are efficiency standards in EU and elsewhere for external PSU's for consumer and pro audio devices that must be met to sell into those markets. It's also a cheaper UL/CSA test with the external supply (low volume instrument it would suck suck to spend the whole $$30k+ for agency tests). However, as critical as I am the tone is identical so they executed very well.
sebber
On Sunday I'll go check out a second hand Model D Reissue I might buy. Are there any issues I should specifically look into? Is there anything else than the lowest key aftertouch issue?
umma gumma
that's all I can think of...?

on some rainy day I will pull mine apart and address that; however it is not bothering me enough to warrant: I'd rather just play the thing

and since it's built with big circuit boards & wiring, just like the original, it's easy to repair if anything ever does go wrong with it
mousegarden
sebber wrote:
On Sunday I'll go check out a second hand Model D Reissue I might buy. Are there any issues I should specifically look into? Is there anything else than the lowest key aftertouch issue?

I have the bottom key thing, but like Umma Gumma I can't be bothered to do anything about it, it's not that important. Apart from that it's a done deal, providing you don't object to the PSU, or the "un-authentic modifications" there's really nothing to dislike, the sound is spot on. I still get a massive grin listening to the oscillators drifting in and out of each other...beautiful.

Lotsa Love
A.S.
umma gumma wrote:

i seem to remember there's a noise level trimmer in the old model D as well. (i found it once, when i tried to find out why there was little to no noise coming from a mini. a little tweaking of that trimmer did the job and if i remember well, it was labelled 'noise level'.

(sorry, i happened to come across this old post, when i was trying to convince myself to buy a re-issue once more. most of the comments say that the new one nails the sound of old. i owned a re-issue very briefly but was disappointed with the sound. not when playing, but when i checked out the very low and high ends, i found the the low note to be sort of a morse code, while way up, the synth was whining. or was it just me?!)
mousegarden
sebber wrote:

Yes, the pitch wheel, it's obscenely stiff, it makes it unusable. Stupid.
Check it out if that's important to you, it's not to me as I never use pitch wheels on synths, but it could be a deal breaker otherwise.
Mushy bottom key.
Some people have noise level issues, but mine seems OK to me.
Apart from these things there really isn't anything else to worry about, it sounds fine to me, most important thing.
TheDegenerateElite
mousegarden wrote:
sebber wrote:

Check it out if that's important to you, it's not to me as I never use pitch wheels on synths, but it could be a deal breaker otherwise.
Mushy bottom key.
Apart from these things there really isn't anything else to worry about, it sounds fine to me, most important thing.

You can easily adjust the tension on the pitch wheel. I've had to do this with my Rogue and and older mini. Haven't had the need to on my re-issue.

Email Moog first and ask permission if you are warranty timid.
mousegarden
mousegarden wrote:
sebber wrote:

Mushy bottom key.

You can easily adjust the tension on the pitch wheel. I've had to do this with my Rogue and and older mini. Haven't had the need to on my re-issue.

Email Moog first and ask permission if you are warranty timid.

Would you be kind enough to give me some info on this? It's not a big deal, but it would be good to sort it out.
umma gumma
mousegarden wrote:

Would you be kind enough to give me some info on this? It's not a big deal, but it would be good to sort it out.

if you are talking about the middle position being too stiff to move w/the nut,
here is a pic & explanation of how this guy did it:

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30194
TheDegenerateElite
Exactly that.

You can adjust tension easily by adding washers to add tension or removing them, and sometimes a nut, to relieve it.

You could also use a pair of pliers to bend the spring steel of the spring, though that is harder to adjust back again in the future.

It is very obvious what to adjust when you open it up.
mousegarden
umma gumma wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

if you are talking about the middle position being too stiff to move w/the nut,
here is a pic & explanation of how this guy did it:

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30194

Thanks a lot, yes I can see it now.

thumbs up
Birth_Chord
I think I’m about to buy a Reissue.

Can’t think of much else to put next to my OB-6 and Korg ARP Odyssey FSQ
Jbone1313
Birth_Chord wrote:

Here’s my two cents.

Saw your posts on GS about the MM and P6. I have both of those, and they are fantastic. But, I am currently experimenting with going completely ITB. So, for now, they are unplugged.

I’m using Legend and Repro-5. They really are close enough. Using the hardware is not making me any more productive or significantly increasing my sound quality. I’ve done comparisons until I’m blue in the face. The ergonomics is not any different to me after I have mapped the important controls.

But, I understand if you have an itch you have to scratch. I’ve been there.

I say don’t wait. Get the real thing ASAP. If you love it and use it all the time, keep it; else sell it.

Whatever you do, don’t get too distracted with comparing and obsessing. What matters is your creative output.
Birth_Chord
Jbone1313 wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:

Here’s my two cents.

Saw your posts on GS about the MM and P6. I have both of those, and they are fantastic. But, I am currently experimenting with going completely ITB. So, for now, they are unplugged.

I’m using Legend and Repro-5. They really are close enough. Using the hardware is not making me any more productive or significantly increasing my sound quality. I’ve done comparisons until I’m blue in the face. The ergonomics is not any different to me after I have mapped the important controls.

But, I understand if you have an itch you have to scratch. I’ve been there.

I say don’t wait. Get the real thing ASAP. If you love it and use it all the time, keep it; else sell it.

Whatever you do, don’t get too distracted with comparing and obsessing. What matters is your creative output.

lol I was just trolling, it's fun to rustle jimmies with such a minimal effort, the art of trolling relies exclusively upon subtlety. I was planning on deleting my GS account (which I did) because it's not enjoyable to be a part of and generally a waste of time so I had to post one of the classics.

I only buy currently manufactured synths, I've said that multiple times, not that anyone would remember. I missed the Minimoog by a few years. I'm saving a year or so more to get the Moog One without any financing. Right now I just make music, strange enough that's super enjoyable.

I've no GAS for anything current except something out of reach, so I just save and practice daily with what I have. Trying to reduce use of MW too even though it's more mature. The reactions here were more tame.
umma gumma
I have great expectations for the Model F, when it gets released
darmklacht@gmail.com
The Minimoog Foyager? hihi
Birth_Chord
Might as well be the Minimoog Forager with the amount of plants in the promos.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 7