MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next [all]
Author 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper
Gyroscope
I checked the manual and found nothing about a truncate option. In Sample mode I see that it's possible to set new start and end points but can we save these new settings?
lionelfischer
is anyone else unable to get polyphony to work with gates? my bitbox latest firmware only works in polyphony if i'm triggering the cell with MIDI.
minigmgoit
Echoing much of whats already been said, the latest updates have made this a highly useable module. It's at the centre of my set up now.
lionelfischer
minigmgoit wrote:
Echoing much of whats already been said, the latest updates have made this a highly useable module. It's at the centre of my set up now.

Agree. I removed all my drum modules and use bitbox only now!

Might get a kickall tho
hippasus
I have been considering the bitbox for a while, but I haven't done the step forward since I don't have more case space and I am resisting any expansion. However, I thought today that the bitbox could be a nice standalone in a 4ms pod small case.
I am hesitating to go for the 32hp or the 26hp to have the option to add some utilities playing nice with the bitbox.
What modules would you bitbox's owners consider key for a small stand-alone sampler?
I am guessing something like the erica pico input and output.
Thanks
DruidTek
Gyroscope wrote:
I checked the manual and found nothing about a truncate option. In Sample mode I see that it's possible to set new start and end points but can we save these new settings?

Yeah, they are stored with the preset.

hippasus wrote:
What modules would you bitbox's owners consider key for a small stand-alone sampler?

I wouldn't worry about input and output modules unless you wanted to use it with a guitar or similar. I'd say some LFO's or a CV recorder for modulating parameters or some filters as it doesn't have any.
bwhittington
hippasus wrote:
I have been considering the bitbox for a while, but I haven't done the step forward since I don't have more case space and I am resisting any expansion. However, I thought today that the bitbox could be a nice standalone in a 4ms pod small case.
I am hesitating to go for the 32hp or the 26hp to have the option to add some utilities playing nice with the bitbox.
I am guessing something like the erica pico input and output.
Thanks

I'm new to the 1010 world but am loving it. I purchased a bitbox and toolbox together, giving me trigger sequencing, voltage sequencing, and modulation sources to play with. Not exactly everything I might want but a really versatile all-in-one companion for a small system. Without that, I would suggest some kind of trigger source (maybe a varigate 4 for several on the cheap) and a few modulation sources to take advantage of the bitbox's cv inputs. When you get going, you might want to add a few things. For example, the bitbox's envelopes are pretty simple. Useful, but at a point external envelopes, filtering, and vca's might be desired.

For i/o, I use a Mackie mixer preamp for now, while casually looking at preamp modules. I patch directly into a mixer for output without any issues (usually later in the chain, after running the bitbox through tons of effects, but same thing).

In short, I don't think you need too much to get rolling. A trigger source seems like the most fun addition to me.
bc3
Been having a lot of fun with the bitbox in a 42hp Intellijel case for live looping. I use a drumkat to play the individual cells then split the output and run it back into the L/R inputs to loop what I am playing. I then take the cell with the loop, send it to the fx1/2 outputs and run it into the overseer and effects module.

hippasus
Thank you for the replies,

I will sequence the bitbox with an arturia BSP, and yes I would like to use it as a looper with external sources and mics also processing the signal further on with other no euro FX and pedals. Well, I just order it without its own case yet.

The manual says that the module doesn't use any current on the -12V, this means that the module can be powered from a 12V/500mA brick, isn't it? Has somebody done something like this?
Uoki-Toki
lionelfischer
so everyone is able to do polyphony with gates (no midi whatsoever) am i the only person unable to do this with mine on latest firmware??
1010music
lionelfischer wrote:
so everyone is able to do polyphony with gates (no midi whatsoever) am i the only person unable to do this with mine on latest firmware??

It seems like you must be missing something. Maybe post a video? Try this test:

1) Get a long sample (10 seconds or more)
2) Set it to Sample mode
3) Set LaunchMode to Trigger
4) Set the release time to 80+%
5) Set to Poly mode
6) Trigger the sample from the screen or the gate input multiple times

It should be really obvious in this case.
hippasus
How are you guys setting the input level for recording? I saw in this thread the request for that feature (adjusting sensibility to the incoming signal for recording) but I cannot find info about if it has been implemented already or not.
urogijani
Hello. How long samples can Bitbox handle ? Which is the maximum sample time or size ? Is it possible to play like 8 minute long samples with it ? Thanks
1010music
urogijani wrote:
Hello. How long samples can Bitbox handle ? Which is the maximum sample time or size ? Is it possible to play like 8 minute long samples with it ? Thanks

Bitbox can handle WAV files up to the 4GB limit. However, you can only stream 4 files from micro SD at the same time.
Funky40
i´m interested in the bitbox:
my main use case would be to use it for 4 sounds, or just two but with mucho control. ( I just flew a bit over the manual )

1. do i understand right, i can use up to 8 of the in-jacks as CV-inputs ? or can i have more CV-in jacks, speaking of *ext.CV modulation purposes* ?

2. how many "of those CV-ins" can i map to one sample ? ( one parameter per CV-in ).
b) can i have 2 samples going, each has 4 paramaters controlled by a CV-in, plus the trigger ?

3.can i see the waveform of one -selected- sample while its played and the sample manipulated by CVs ? ( imagine i´d just patch CV sources, manually jammed, to 4 CV in jacks and i´d like to see what i do with the sample, doing a realtime jam)

4. can i do the same per midi ? inclouding control of parameters per midi ?
(i read the note that a per midi triggered sample can´t be modulated by CV. which would be a nice thing to do btw. wink )

5. use it as a looprecorder seemes possible. quantized loop start to a clock seems possible ?
so the bitbox seems to be prefectly suited to replace a looper pedal or so for my modular, right ?
scragz
Funky40 wrote:
1. do i understand right, i can use up to 8 of the in-jacks as CV-inputs ? or can i have more CV-in jacks, speaking of *ext.CV modulation purposes* ?

There are the 4 main ones on the far right and in the last update they made the second to right also work as bonus CV in.

Funky40 wrote:
2. how many "of those CV-ins" can i map to one sample ? ( one parameter per CV-in ).
b) can i have 2 samples going, each has 4 paramaters controlled by a CV-in, plus the trigger ?

There isn't a limit per sample that I am aware of, any mod target can be active from any mod source.

Funky40 wrote:
3.can i see the waveform of one -selected- sample while its played and the sample manipulated by CVs ? ( imagine i´d just patch CV sources, manually jammed, to 4 CV in jacks and i´d like to see what i do with the sample, doing a realtime jam)

You can see the waveform but only some of the modulations are visible. Slice, start, len, and I think sequence will be visible.

Funky40 wrote:
4. can i do the same per midi ? inclouding control of parameters per midi ?
(i read the note that a per midi triggered sample can´t be modulated by CV. which would be a nice thing to do btw. wink )

You can modulate vol, pitch, pan with a MIDI triggered sample. You can use MIDI to control which slice is triggered. You can map MIDI velocity, pitch, volume, pan, modwheel to any parameter the same as CV.

I'm not sure where you read that a MIDI triggered sample can't be modulated but I pretty much only trigger anything with MIDI and haven't run into any limitations with modulating.

Funky40 wrote:
5. use it as a looprecorder seemes possible. quantized loop start to a clock seems possible ?
so the bitbox seems to be prefectly suited to replace a looper pedal or so for my modular, right ?

Yeah it works like a loop pedal pretty much, quantized to your clock and you can pre-set the length.
Funky40
scragz wrote:
Funky40 wrote:

There are the 4 main ones on the far right and in the last update they made the second to right also work as bonus CV in.

"the second to right" is what ?

ok, otherwise only 4 CV ins.
that was my old information IIRC, and much likely the reason i turned off to be interested in this product and never looked back until now.

i saw a graphic which suggested to me that this is now configurable somehow........much likely on their page ( 1010)

thank you scragz
DruidTek
The second to right column of jacks, which brings it up to 8 external modulators in total. There are 3 modulation slots for each parameter, that can be set set in positive or negative values, so the modulation options are quite deep.
kall
It's come up in this thread before, but it was the key for me to enjoying bitbox so I thought it was worth repeating:

Use 48 kHz samples!!!

Apparently using 44.1 kHz puts more strain on Bitbox, but it also seems to introduce ringing artifacts even at base pitch.

I have also found that if I get a lot of ringing artifacts when repitching, resampling the file to 96 kHz or even 192 kHz really helps. Not sure how big the processor strain is, but at 192 kHz I have zero ringing over a wide pitch range for a file that was really bad at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.

The bit depth doesn't seem to make a difference.
kall
Not yet mentioned in this thread, firmware 2.5 has some nice improvements. Quoting from the official forum:

Quote:
Threshold based recording. You can now arm recording and have it automatically begin when it it detects a signal

Input gain control for recording.

Choke or exclusive groups. With 4 different groups, you can now have one or more cells cutoff playback of the others--without having to organize them into columns. This also means the tracks screens have gone away. Look for the "Excl: X" parameter on the top of the third pad page.

Load WAV files with embedded slice (cue) or sample loop points. For existing presets, you will need to reload the relevant file to import the WAV meta data.

MIDI Program Change messages can now select a new preset. It works with the preset list alphabetically. This is switched off by default. Enable it in the Settings area

Selection of the designated output for record monitoring and previewing. This enables you to fully use the module in a monaural 4 output approach

Improved responsiveness of the Start, Length, Loop Start, and Loop End points using the knobs on the waveform page.

Numerous bug fixes having to do with playback and recording.

I really like the ability to load embeded cue points from wave files. Makes it easy to play with sample chains and multi sampled instruments.
ckwjr
Bitbox is a nice way to get full use of the six outputs of Euclidean Circles v2. I use the mute switch expander and MI Branches to add additional voices and variety/randomization.
Funky40
DruidTek wrote:
The second to right column of jacks, which brings it up to 8 external modulators in total.

ok, so my impressions from reading has been right.

Thanks DruidTek !

DruidTek wrote:
There are 3 modulation slots for each parameter,

this stands now in relation to:

kall wrote:
Quoting from the official forum:
Quote:

Improved responsiveness of the Start, Length, Loop Start, and Loop End points using the knobs on the waveform page.

Numerous bug fixes having to do with playback and recording.

how are these parameters dependend on each other ?
when moving the sample start point would it NOT move the loop start and end point also, right ?
i´d need to have them tied to the sample start for glitchy looping werks wink

these parameters are all completly independent of each other ?
DruidTek
Yes, they are independent of each other.
Funky40
Thanks for the feedback DruidTek
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next [all]
Page 50 of 52