MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 50, 51, 52  Next [all]
Author 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper
mdoudoroff
Caution, patience, moderate expectations are wise.
RoaFL
I've been trying to determine if this module has granular capabilities or if it just truncates samples to match the global BPM.
Surely they'd have to include some type of timestretching capability, but if it's of any quality is the question.

I think, for modular, the Nebulae has the smoothest timestretching algorithm.
It's as good as Max 7's 'Best' algorithm for their ~sfplay/~buffer objects.
If that's included one of these upcoming sampling modules (301, Audio Damage's unit, Bitbox, etc) I can live with not being able to sample live.
My taste is to grab from my prerecorded sample library anyway.
Fiddlestickz
Here's a question to answer, lots of these modules that play samples off micro cards need some kind of software program to put them on the card, some are very picky indeed, the Q bit sample player runs a small program to put samples on the card but min OS is Yosemite, I was so close to buying this module and then I read this and took my hand off the buy it button..

what will the computer software this thing needs to dump samples onto the card be needing..??
RoaFL
Fiddlestickz wrote:
Here's a question to answer, lots of these modules that play samples off micro cards need some kind of software program to put them on the card, some are very picky indeed, the Q bit sample player runs a small program to put samples on the card but min OS is Yosemite, I was so close to buying this module and then I read this and took my hand off the buy it button..

what will the computer software this thing needs to dump samples onto the card be needing..??

I may be wrong, but I thought the Nebulae just read regular audio file-types that were mono/22.05 kHz and you could have 8 of them in the root directory?
Why couldn't you just change the samples you have to mono/22.05 kHz in Audacity and load them onto a thumb-drive?

Either way, the simplest solution is for manufacturers to pick an engine that can run more of the popular file types (WAV, AIF, MP3, OGG, FLAC, etc) and either split mono samples to two channels on-the-fly or play stereo samples as-is.
There shouldn't be a special format or process to get samples into one of these units; it's unnecessary cognitive friction.
They should use a memory card or have a USB input to connect to a computer and simply drag'n'drop the files into a root directory.
The system should be smart enough to handle these cases without you having to do something to make it work.

In an ideal world you'd have both options for live sampling and using some kind of flash memory.
digidandy
RoaFL wrote:
I've been trying to determine if this module has granular capabilities or if it just truncates samples to match the global BPM.
Surely they'd have to include some type of timestretching capability, but if it's of any quality is the question.

I think, for modular, the Nebulae has the smoothest timestretching algorithm.
It's as good as Max 7's 'Best' algorithm for their ~sfplay/~buffer objects.

Don't agree with this at all. The timestretching algorithm in Nebulae "resynthesizes" the original sample into sum of sinoids, meaning the resulting sound becomes "glassy". The timestretch in Max 7 does not resynthesize the sound in this way, meaning the output is a lot more natural sounding (if that's the word to use).
Fiddlestickz
RoaFL wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:

I may be wrong, but I thought the Nebulae just read regular audio file-types that were mono/22.05 kHz and you could have 8 of them in the root directory?
Why couldn't you just change the samples you have to mono/22.05 kHz in Audacity and load them onto a thumb-drive?

Either way, the simplest solution is for manufacturers to pick an engine that can run more of the popular file types (WAV, AIF, MP3, OGG, FLAC, etc) and either split mono samples to two channels on-the-fly or play stereo samples as-is.
There shouldn't be a special format or process to get samples into one of these units; it's unnecessary cognitive friction.
They should use a memory card or have a USB input to connect to a computer and simply drag'n'drop the files into a root directory.
The system should be smart enough to handle these cases without you having to do something to make it work.

In an ideal world you'd have both options for live sampling and using some kind of flash memory.

Sorry I should have been more specific it was the Qu Bit Wave module that I was referring to not the Nebulae..
1010music
Hello,

Sorry to show up late to the party. We are working hard trying to get this module out the door and into your hands.

Regarding some of the questions raised above:

Bitbox can play the vast majority of WAV files, including 16, 24, and 32 bit format. You copy them onto microSD card on your computer and use the module to assign the file to a pad.

Time stretching is not currently available. You do need to take care to match the current tempo. When live looping, using a constant tempo from another source is usually all you need. Bitbox will restart loops on beat to ensure there is no drifting.

While we are a new company, just about everyone who has worked on this project is an industry veteran with 20+ years experience.

We definitely owe you some video demos. They are coming soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your support.

Aaron Higgins
1010 Music
Bishop Dust
damase wrote:

+1 stereo out per channel
This is the same limitation that holds the octatrack back.

I wonder if the midi input will allow cc control. That would be that would make it very useful

This ! for me the interest of a multi track sampler in the modular world is to be able to send each track in the modules you want...

That s for me also a big limitation of the octatrack...

So the module recognize the sample bpm and the sample automatically fit the playing tempo ??
RoaFL
digidandy wrote:

Don't agree with this at all. The timestretching algorithm in Nebulae "resynthesizes" the original sample into sum of sinoids, meaning the resulting sound becomes "glassy". The timestretch in Max 7 does not resynthesize the sound in this way, meaning the output is a lot more natural sounding (if that's the word to use).

I had the Nebulae for two days and didn't really put it through the paces, but the samples I used sounded fine.
I believe that's the exact method Kyma uses to produce its timestretching and that has also always sounded fine to me.
I guess it's all in what you feed it.
I still have to use Max though and my point was that someone needs to fill that niche so I can kick my MacBook out of my music-making lineup.
The Illuminaire
Saw the new demo video on the website.

It seems there is a degree of "preparation" latency in both ending the recording (approx. 1sec) and a little less than that to trigger the loop.

Is this something that was done by design? If so, that kind of messes with it as a performance looper. confused
mdoudoroff
The Illuminaire wrote:
Saw the new demo video on the website.

It seems there is a degree of "preparation" latency in both ending the recording (approx. 1sec) and a little less than that to trigger the loop.

Is this something that was done by design? If so, that kind of messes with it as a performance looper. confused

My understanding is that he was explicitly demonstrating beat quantization and the delays you see in the video is not latency, but the bitbox waiting for the next clock pulse to begin or halt recording so as to yield a loop of precise length.
1010music
That is correct, the delay in recording and stopping is intentional: It yields loops cut exactly to bars, which make the synchronization more straightforward.

There is also a setting to turn the quantization off if that is what you prefer.
yalivec
1010music wrote:

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Aaron Higgins
1010 Music

Hi, Aaron. A couple of questions:

1. could I run multiple stereo samples and change volume of each of them while they running? and if no, so...-->
2. -->...will there be a separate stereo outputs per channel that I could change volume of each of them by connecting to a mixer module?
3. will there be something like a cv control per channel? and in what way this has been achieved?

Thanx!
lionelfischer
individual outs please. if not, hopefully with an expander module?

crossfade looping for smooth loops?
1010music
yalivec wrote:

1. could I run multiple stereo samples and change volume of each of them while they running? and if no, so...-->
2. -->...will there be a separate stereo outputs per channel that I could change volume of each of them by connecting to a mixer module?
3. will there be something like a cv control per channel? and in what way this has been achieved?

There is a manual volume control per sample. Bitbox has 4 CV modulation inputs, that can be mapped to other cells to adjust pitch, length, or start time.
1010music
lionelfischer wrote:

There are two mono FX sends for external processing of some of the samples. Yes, we do provide crossfading to make the looping smooth.
Fiddlestickz
really interesting and likeable module..

good pricing too imo..

more demo videos please, particularly of sampling say a drum loop and chopping it up and saving samples to various locations..
yalivec
1010music wrote:

There is a manual volume control per sample. Bitbox has 4 CV modulation inputs, that can be mapped to other cells to adjust pitch, length, or start time.

thanx... sounds interesting. hope, I could use it instead of my rc-505.
RoaFL
1010music wrote:

Does changing the pitch change the length of the loop?
Are there any timestretching capabilities?

It's November 2nd; is it available for order now?
Innerself2007
Yes definitely would like to see additional videos to get a better idea. Love the way this looks on paper.
Also curious about release date
YellowBlood
Very interested, are you able to pan each sample by chance?
Daisuk
Looking forward to seeing some more videos of this. smile
lionelfischer
1010music wrote:
lionelfischer wrote:

There are two mono FX sends for external processing of some of the samples. Yes, we do provide crossfading to make the looping smooth.

if there's any way for this to output more than two mono isolated tracks that would be huge game changing feature.. any way to get at least 3 or 4 tracks output separately? even with exapnsion module, would be super incredible.
1010music
Here is the update on the shipping front: We will be shipping units to retailers on Monday November 7th. We will update our website later in the week with where you can order it.

We did manage to include slicing as a form of time shifting. This works very well for small tempo changes (< 5%) of most material. Beyond that, it really depends on the material and the slice length you choose.

Thank you for your support.
JohnLRice
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 50, 51, 52  Next [all]
Page 2 of 52