MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Verbos Bark Filter Processor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Verbos Bark Filter Processor
WIZARDISHUNGRY
not a great photo but all the labels are visible
ynth
Beauty. Is this a custom job? Price?
Leverkusen
It looks beautiful - I am excited now how it will sound!

eek!
ethnotronics
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Worwell
Very nice. Any info on hp, price, availability date?
Dogma
Very interesting...I'm sure it's some Buchla riff - interesting to have those end followers on such specific frequecies
ym2612
296-ish!
CF3
From the big Verbos thread.....

ghrobbing_tristle said:

Quote:
Mark is showing off an incredible new module at MiM -- it's a 16-band filter/spectral analyzer thing-a-ma-jig. Amazing tilt-like controls, you can address odd and even bands, and it has a row of envelope followers -- one per band. I'm sure this description is totally inadequate, and others will surely fill in the blanks better than I can.

Tough to gauge it given the environment of the fair. Mark says it should be ready to go in a few weeks. Just waiting for a few final parts. It's dense as hell.

looks to be ready soon
mritenburg
Dogma wrote:
Very interesting...I'm sure it's some Buchla riff - interesting to have those end followers on such specific frequecies

Beginning at 100hz it looks like the filters represent every other, or 1/2 of the critical bands of the bark scale.
carvingcode
It has the same mechanism as the Harmonic Oscillator for moving through the bands via CV. Looks like moocho HP...
ignatius
CF3 wrote:
From the big Verbos thread.....

ghrobbing_tristle said:

Quote:
Mark is showing off an incredible new module at MiM -- it's a 16-band filter/spectral analyzer thing-a-ma-jig. Amazing tilt-like controls, you can address odd and even bands, and it has a row of envelope followers -- one per band. I'm sure this description is totally inadequate, and others will surely fill in the blanks better than I can.

Tough to gauge it given the environment of the fair. Mark says it should be ready to go in a few weeks. Just waiting for a few final parts. It's dense as hell.

looks to be ready soon

the one in the photo is only 12 bands though.. unless there's something i'm ignoring?

looks great though. i love those things in buchla.. 296 and 296e.. they can do some really useful things. great for sound design.. really.

with the verbos Bark, the 4ms Smrf, the serge res EQMKII, and maybe one day the sputnik version they'll be a lot of options for the multiband filterbank world. smile
mdoudoroff
Looks like happy a collision between a 296 and a RxMx+FxDF.

The even and odd outs perhaps make more sense (to me) than the A/B/C arrangement of the RxMx. Perhaps.

Or perhaps I am misinterpreting the photo?
Worwell
I'm trying to get my head around envelope followers for each band. What are the practical applications for this?
ablearcher
A classic analog vocoder consists of two sets of some number of bandpass filters, the individual amplitudes of one set imposed on another (the spectral envelope). So the envelope followers are probably there to allow vocoder like effects, or other applications where you want cv from one particular frequency band to control somehing else.
calaveras
yeah saw that at MiM yesterday. Pretty overwhelming amount of new stuff at that little show, considering I have been to book fairs that occupied more tables. Still the Verbos, Rossum, AQA and Synth Tech stuff was mind blowing.
The concert later that night was jaw dropping.
That laser shit? the fuuuuuuuck.
I expected nth dimensional demons to come through a portal in the wall.

ps what he ^ said about vocoder. That was my first thought as well.
Worwell
calaveras wrote:

Thank you. That then begs the question, what is the practical use for a vocoder other than making oneself sound like a robot? Is it a useful sound design tool?
gryfon1
Worwell wrote:
calaveras wrote:

Thank you. That then begs the question, what is the practical use for a vocoder other than making oneself sound like a robot? Is it a useful sound design tool?

I don't know of any concrete and specific uses, but consider what happens when the control band is not mapped to the same band on the processing unit. Whether swapping even and odd, raising or lowering the whole spectrum, or inverting it, there should be some sound design possibilities it would be hard to get any other way.
trickness
Mark told me it will be end of October/November and the price will likely be $749. The build is apparently super complex. I got a brief demo and it was insane - sounded unreal and did some ridiculously cool stuff. Didn't get the HP unfortunately. And someone asked Mark about it being used a vocoder and he was a bit meh on that idea, but acknowledged that you could kind of use it as one. He loaded the ins under each band with a bunch of sound sources, noise, sample & hold, and then scanned it and it was just wow.

And YEAH, the laser/Tearing Light From Sound set was RIDICULOUS.
Endorfinity
THAT is definitely interesting
Leverkusen
mdoudoroff wrote:
Looks like happy a collision between a 296 and a RxMx+FxDF.

The even and odd outs perhaps make more sense (to me) than the A/B/C arrangement of the RxMx. Perhaps.

Or perhaps I am misinterpreting the photo?

I’d say the RxMx is another concept, though bound to the FxDF and with its similar width and center controls it comes near in a much smaller incarnation. But since it s primarily a mixer it has the A/B/C output arrangement. For me the even/odd arrangement starts to make sense with bigger setups as the verbos one. I did not got too excited about the scan&pan for that reason too.

Worwell wrote:
calaveras wrote:

The good thing about a vocoder setup is that you don’t have to feed in your voice. It just copies the spectral content of one signal to another. This could be a voice, field recordings, a complex waveform - anything that has some interesting spectral content. Though depending on the design of it and the carrier input it can sound interesting with a voice too. And as mentioned above you might override the normalizations and reconnect the different bands of both signals in any way you want. Or just use it with a lot of different modulation inputs on just one signal, or two signals in parallel.

This a very simple example of an analogical module in 5U, the spectral processor, fed with all modulation sources I had at that point - does not have the nifty center/width functionality but you can get an idea what id does to quite simple (steady) audio signal:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/180738020" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Now just imagine this in well done... hihi

Or better do a search for videos of the corresponding Buchla unit - there a lot and many are great!

Another application could be to use it as signal analyzer and CV generator. It gives you an CV signal from the envelope followers everytime a single frequency band occurs in your input signal, probably when doing a complex feedback/slef generating patch. Or just having envelopes on the kick and the hats of a drum loop. Or processing different spectral parts of signal separately with other modules like delays with different delay times.

Finally the width and center controls can work as odd emulations of LP/BP/HP Filters.
ignatius
Worwell wrote:
I'm trying to get my head around envelope followers for each band. What are the practical applications for this?

all kinds of things. run a drum loop through it. focus in on the kick or snare. send an envelope out every time the kick or snare hits. instant beat sync'd modulation.

or you could derive a gate from it using a slope detector or comparator and trigger a sound to layer or replace the sound that's triggering the envelope.

you can do this kind of stuff with the 4ms smr as well. i think it's in the example patches. worthy of a read of the manual just for ideas on how to apply those things with whatever you have already in your system. manuals can be a nice source of patch ideas and inspiration.
Zube
Wow this looks great. I was just watching several 296 videos this weekend trying to wrap my head around the functionality. Very excited to check one out.
ben_hex
Worwell wrote:

Vocoding drums against noise is fantastic! Ableton Live's basic Vocoder does a good job. With a variable noise source (digital clock noise for example) and a crossfader for dry/wet vocoder mix you can do some great things.
chiavere
This looks like a great Verbos take on the 296 (and it beats out the Sputnik euro version by getting to market first!), but am I missing how the "program" capability from the 296 is incorporated, or is it not there?
chiavere
chiavere wrote:
This looks like a great Verbos take on the 296 (and it beats out the Sputnik euro version by getting to market first!), but am I missing how the "program" capability from the 296 is incorporated, or is it not there?

Oh, oops – I now see that there are "program inputs" under the sliders, and the "frequency scan" covers "program control" -- so would the "program outs" be the "all filters" out, or ?

I've also attached a better photo Verbos posted today on FB so I can contribute something!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7