GAS explained

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

dugoutcanoe
Common Wiggler

GAS explained

Post by dugoutcanoe » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm

So i'm relatively new to the forum and had no idea what the term "GAS", often used here, was referring to. So i did some searching and came across this article by Walter Becker from Steely Dan. https://www.steelydan.com/gas.html
:party:

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:12 pm

haha- i forgot becker wrote that!

i understand why a lot of people don't like their music, but you gotta respect their wit!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:42 pm

memes_33 wrote:haha- i forgot becker wrote that!

i understand why a lot of people don't like their music, but you gotta respect their wit!
I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.
this night wounds time,

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 pm

steely dan is like the music of the spheres!

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote: I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.
i think its roger nichols- the production is too clean and sterile for the rockers out there. i personally love the drum sounds they get, but the rest could certainly use some more grit. but i'm more of a fan of their songwriting skills than their production quality.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.
I guess we who don't like them should believe the same for those who do.
But to answer your question they were as boring as f@&*#&.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:41 pm

[quote=

I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This is so incredibly condescending!!!!! :hihi: I personally love them, especially the album Aja, but I find it easy to understand how some people would dislike them for their jazzy style. They are a superb band, IMO.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I won't go so far as to say that. I reckon it's got a lot to do with musicians vs. "not"

see: success of Tom Petty, Steve Miller; more recently, Green Day, Hootie & the Blowfish, nu metal, etc.
dopefiend wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This is so incredibly condescending!!!!! .
right
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Last edited by Knights Who Say Neve on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:20 pm

I like a lot of different music
and I like Steely Dan.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:58 pm

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:04 pm

They were masters of subversion and geniuses of the process. If you haven't already seen the making of Aja, it's worth the watch. I certainly understand how they are not for everyone. However, I think side 1 of "Can't Buy A Thrill" is really as good as it gets.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:06 pm

An amazing band. My fav album is the Best Of... If u don't agrie wid me, den your rong.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Goes a long way toward explaining the neutered, flaccid yachtpop wankery attempting to butsecks my eardrums whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be within audible range of their dildophonic recordings.

Good part is that they were partially responsible for the huge backlash to this sort of music which inspired the kids to go in new and sometimes actually rocking directions.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm

GrantB wrote:
Goes a long way toward explaining the neutered, flaccid yachtpop wankery attempting to butsecks my eardrums whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be within audible range of their dildophonic recordings.

Good part is that they were partially responsible for the huge backlash to this sort of music which inspired the kids to go in new and sometimes actually rocking directions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

So although I don't agree with the brain damaged comments I otherwise agree with you. Although after hammering them in the 70s it took me about 40 years to be able to listen to them again. But the musicianship, timing and groove in their music is amazing. I think I appreciate them more than I ever did. Even if you don't like them anyone making music should take the time to listen to how tight they were.

Also someone mentioned them being over-produced. That is true probably from The Royal Scam album on. The early albums were a lot more gritty and even not that well produced.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 am

I agree. As a teenager I just couldn't get the Aja groove, and couldn't understand why they were being praised so much by the critics. Now I find them incredible versatile, ahead of their time, even. You don't see much appreciation for this among millenials, though. Most likely because, like me back then, they're still young. But not brain-injured, as someone else suggested. :hihi:

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:47 am

Not really what I'd call 'sterile' or 'overproduced' either in terms of music or production...to each his or her own I guess.
[video][/video]

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:36 pm

The amazing Coral Sitar solo in 'Do It Again', or the achingly subtle swing to the drum part in 'Babylon Sisters', small moments of perfection.

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:54 pm

There's so many great songs and performances; one of my favorites is Deacon Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamkS4qoXK8

I've spent time going through a group of "making of the track" videos on YouTube. These just add a whole extra layer of appreciation for just how good these players were and how considered the performances are.

eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:54 pm

one thing's for sure, they are one of those bands that illicit a reaction- people either love them or hate them, not much in between.

but the drumming on "gold teeth 2"!!
[video][/video]

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Superb!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:12 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Not really what I'd call 'sterile' or 'overproduced' either in terms of music or production...to each his or her own I guess.
[video][/video]
No true. Awesome song. No I'm never gonna do it without the fez on. Oh no.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:16 pm

memes_33 wrote:one thing's for sure, they are one of those bands that illicit a reaction- people either love them or hate them, not much in between.

but the drumming on "gold teeth 2"!!
[video][/video]
These songs bring back so many memories it's quite emotional actually.

The music is a real lesson in dynamic range too.

colossal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 am

Thanks, been around for (look left) never knew :)

Return to “General Gear”