MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

GAS explained
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author GAS explained
dugoutcanoe
So i'm relatively new to the forum and had no idea what the term "GAS", often used here, was referring to. So i did some searching and came across this article by Walter Becker from Steely Dan. https://www.steelydan.com/gas.html
w00t
memes_33
haha- i forgot becker wrote that!

i understand why a lot of people don't like their music, but you gotta respect their wit!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
memes_33 wrote:

i understand why a lot of people don't like their music, but you gotta respect their wit!

I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.
oootini
steely dan is like the music of the spheres!
memes_33
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.

i think its roger nichols- the production is too clean and sterile for the rockers out there. i personally love the drum sounds they get, but the rest could certainly use some more grit. but i'm more of a fan of their songwriting skills than their production quality.
peripatitis
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
memes_33 wrote:

I guess we who don't like them should believe the same for those who do.
But to answer your question they were as boring as f@&*#&.
dopefiend
[quote=

I don't understand why a lot of people don't like their music. I always thought it was due to some form of brain damage or mental handicap. Maybe that part of the brain that processes aesthetic experiences was not fully formed, or damaged at birth.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This is so incredibly condescending!!!!! hihi I personally love them, especially the album Aja, but I find it easy to understand how some people would dislike them for their jazzy style. They are a superb band, IMO.
mome rath
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
memes_33 wrote:

I won't go so far as to say that. I reckon it's got a lot to do with musicians vs. "not"

see: success of Tom Petty, Steve Miller; more recently, Green Day, Hootie & the Blowfish, nu metal, etc.

dopefiend wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This is so incredibly condescending!!!!! .

right
Knights Who Say Neve
Soy Sos
I like a lot of different music
and I like Steely Dan.
JohnLRice
http://www.feelnumb.com/2013/06/03/steely-dan-band-name-inspired-from- a-strap-on-dildo-in-williams-s-burroughs-naked-lunch/
Nightly Closures
They were masters of subversion and geniuses of the process. If you haven't already seen the making of Aja, it's worth the watch. I certainly understand how they are not for everyone. However, I think side 1 of "Can't Buy A Thrill" is really as good as it gets.
Multi Grooves
An amazing band. My fav album is the Best Of... If u don't agrie wid me, den your rong.
GrantB
JohnLRice wrote:
http://www.feelnumb.com/2013/06/03/steely-dan-band-name-inspired-from- a-strap-on-dildo-in-williams-s-burroughs-naked-lunch/

Goes a long way toward explaining the neutered, flaccid yachtpop wankery attempting to butsecks my eardrums whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be within audible range of their dildophonic recordings.

Good part is that they were partially responsible for the huge backlash to this sort of music which inspired the kids to go in new and sometimes actually rocking directions.
dopefiend
GrantB wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Goes a long way toward explaining the neutered, flaccid yachtpop wankery attempting to butsecks my eardrums whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be within audible range of their dildophonic recordings.

Good part is that they were partially responsible for the huge backlash to this sort of music which inspired the kids to go in new and sometimes actually rocking directions.

lol lol lol
dubonaire
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
memes_33 wrote:

So although I don't agree with the brain damaged comments I otherwise agree with you. Although after hammering them in the 70s it took me about 40 years to be able to listen to them again. But the musicianship, timing and groove in their music is amazing. I think I appreciate them more than I ever did. Even if you don't like them anyone making music should take the time to listen to how tight they were.

Also someone mentioned them being over-produced. That is true probably from The Royal Scam album on. The early albums were a lot more gritty and even not that well produced.
dopefiend
I agree. As a teenager I just couldn't get the Aja groove, and couldn't understand why they were being praised so much by the critics. Now I find them incredible versatile, ahead of their time, even. You don't see much appreciation for this among millenials, though. Most likely because, like me back then, they're still young. But not brain-injured, as someone else suggested. hihi
ngarjuna
Not really what I'd call 'sterile' or 'overproduced' either in terms of music or production...to each his or her own I guess.
Blairio
The amazing Coral Sitar solo in 'Do It Again', or the achingly subtle swing to the drum part in 'Babylon Sisters', small moments of perfection.
GGW
There's so many great songs and performances; one of my favorites is Deacon Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamkS4qoXK8

I've spent time going through a group of "making of the track" videos on YouTube. These just add a whole extra layer of appreciation for just how good these players were and how considered the performances are.

eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc
memes_33
one thing's for sure, they are one of those bands that illicit a reaction- people either love them or hate them, not much in between.

but the drumming on "gold teeth 2"!!
dopefiend
Superb!
dubonaire
ngarjuna wrote:
Not really what I'd call 'sterile' or 'overproduced' either in terms of music or production...to each his or her own I guess.

No true. Awesome song. No I'm never gonna do it without the fez on. Oh no.
dubonaire
memes_33 wrote:
one thing's for sure, they are one of those bands that illicit a reaction- people either love them or hate them, not much in between.

but the drumming on "gold teeth 2"!!

These songs bring back so many memories it's quite emotional actually.

The music is a real lesson in dynamic range too.
colossal
Thanks, been around for (look left) never knew smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2