MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How much have you spent on EuroRack gear!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author How much have you spent on EuroRack gear!
davidjez
So I'm fairly new to the Euro Game. I picked up a MN shared system a few months back. Compared to virtual synths and even out-board synths like Moog Sub 37 or Mother 32 these pale in comparison in terms of cost.

So out of curiosity:

(1) How much have you spent on your Euro-Rack to date ($k)
(2) Are you still happy you made the decision to get into modular?
(3) How do you manage the cost so it's within your budget to sustain?
(4) How do you manage the constant urge to want new modules to play with (HAHA!).

Would love to hear some stories and advice.

Thanks!

----

Update (after 24 hr later).

Appreciate everyone's input. If I can summarize what people are saying.

(1) Cost is anywhere from $1k to $15k (or above) for a system.
(2) Yes, everyone seems happy with the decision to go to modular.
(3) Varying degrees of money management, but no one is going starving because of this. But it's definitely addictive so you need to watch out.
(4) The desire to buy new modules subsides more over time. A good suggestion is to find a few MFG that you gel with and stick to them to limit options and desire.

Good discussion!
MacSynth
davidjez wrote:
(3) How do manage the cost so it's within your budget to sustain?
(4) How do you manage the constant urge to want new modules to play with (HAHA!).

1. way too much!

2. YES!

3. Not good, but right now it is losing momentum

4. Not good either, but my funds are depleted anyway. Not sure how it will go when they fill up though.
facklr
(1) Ohhh uhmmm yeah....hmmm
(2) Oh yes. No. It's awesome, and I hate it so much
(3) Haha bu...budg...I can't even bring myself to say the word. My life is in shambles. There is only modular.
(4) I usually just buy them all and let God sort them out.
strangegravity

North of 10 would be a safe guess

Sure

I don't

I'm over the bug. I am only interested in a few manufacturers, which helps.
GoneCaving
1. Rather a bit.
2. Yes, very.
3&4. By living in a country that has no dealers, so only when I travel do I get the chance to try before I buy. I occasionally buy based purely on muffs and YouTube, but that's normally only utilities.
lootacow
1) Roughly $8k more or less in my 5 row 84hp system. Roughly $10k if you include my 5u system

2) Couldn't be happier. It's just what I wanted

3) I bought lots of lower priced modules, then sold them when i wanted something that costs more. Kept that cycle going til I got the system I wanted.

4) At this point my urge has died down. Since all my cases are now full, I'm trying to make it a point not to start a new case. So far so good.
Futuresound
facklr wrote:
(1) Ohhh uhmmm yeah....hmmm
(2) Oh yes. No. It's awesome, and I hate it so much
(3) Haha bu...budg...I can't even bring myself to say the word. My life is in shambles. There is only modular.
(4) I usually just buy them all and let God sort them out.

post of the year
hermbot
I started this journey in this calendar year.

1) $1900. Modular Grid says my rack is about $2500 but I bought used for most of it.
2) Honestly, some days I don't know. This initial cash outlay is far more than I've spent on any musical device/gear in my life thus far, and it's the bits-and-pieces-at-a-time nature that got me here. If you had said, "You're going to spend $2000 on a monosynth" I would have said you're nuts. I enjoy it, I think my entire background in music has lead up to wanting to play with this magnificent toy, but seeing that dollar figure makes my heart sink.

My biggest concern is that eurorack seems to be the ultimate trap of prioritizing gear over actually making music. Maybe it's because I'm still learning and it's all new to me, but I feel like I've spent more time planning, reading, and dinking around on MG than I have actually using the damn thing I spent so much money on.
3) Buy used, mostly.
4) By answering question A.
dysonant
(1) I could've bought a pretty nice car or put a down payment on a house
(2) I would be driving around in my convertible instead of answering this post if I wasn't still happy.
(3) As long as I continue to put food on the table all will be well.
(4) I grew as big as my apartment would reasonably allow. Thank god I did not put a down payment on a house because it would be filled with eurorack.
Artaos

I don't want to know. If I did know, I'd repress the memory.

Very much so!

I've decided on a fixed monthly cash flow dedicated to modular. Like a modular piggy bank. I put money in every month, as soon as I have enough to buy what I want, I buy it. The modules I sell contribute back into the piggy bank (good incentive to sell modules!)

Huh?
Artaos
hermbot wrote:

I feel like I've spent more time planning, reading, and dinking around on MG than I have actually using the damn thing I spent so much money on.

I'm going through this as well. But if you let go, and you accept that it is possible that your experience is such so that planning, plotting, reading, and dinking around on MG is part of the fun, part of your modular passion, then it is easier to be compassionate with yourself and accept it the way it is. What is fundamentally wrong with that? Nothing. Do what matters to you.
turin horsey
1. Far more than I expected to when I started with a 3u 90hp skiff
2. Yes, I had burnt out on software years ago and am now finally back in the groove. Very inspiring, and a great way to tune out of life's stresses.
3-4. After a few years in modular I know what I want to accomplish, what modules I think are cool but truthfully don't need, and how to decide what to sell in order to fund a new purchase.
carvingcode
1) 2014 Fiat 500
2) Yes! Fantastic tool for creative musical exploration.
3) Have never been particularly successful with budgets. Thankfully, I have a pretty stable music machine now.
4) I lost cash following the 'next shiny thing' attraction for awhile. I now pretty much know what will enhance my music machine and what will distract.

It's all about the music, not the tool.
Zymos
1) Modular Grid says around $8300. Which doesn't include my cases, but lots of my modules were bought used.

2) Heck yeah- it's a blast!

3) I don't really think about budgeting much. Made bigger purchases when I got bonuses from my job, or sold some other (non Eurorack) gear.

4) I still want everything that looks cool, but the 2 208HP cases I have are all I can easily fit in my space the way I have things arranged. So most of my new (or new to me) stuff is swapping put for something I'm not using. Still think maybe I could squeeze a skiff in someplace...
davidjez
I think for myself (original poster) that I've spend around $7k between the MN shared system, some stackable cables, and a few additional modules (Tempi, Brains, Mix6) that can fit in this skiff. Definitely a big investment upfront.

I have mixed feelings regarding whether I'm still happy with the decision. The positive aspect is that I love removing the computer from the process. I found working with VSTs to just be uninspiring for some reason. And yes, I do spend more time on gear talk and configuration possibilities than before, but like someone said earlier it's definitely fun to do so. So I guess it's a delicate balance between the OCD gear aspect which I'm guessing most have here, and also wanting to make some cool music, even if it's just for your own amusement. Life is short, so have fun.

As for managing cost. I have a reasonably good job (engineer) and can afford some toys. That said, it's definitely a conscious effort to push back the urge to expand. The MN Shared System is a beast and so at the moment my mind-set is buckle down and master this system. Could take a year before I'm ready to think about expansion (famous last words).
exper
davidjez wrote:

So out of curiosity:

Would love to hear some stories and advice.

Thanks!

1. I don't even want to know the answer to that. There's the total in Modulargrid, but that doesn't take into account cases, cables (all stackcables baby!) or buying used, trading, shipping fees or misc. Anyway, it's best to not think of such things. oops

2. Beyond happy. It's nice to have "unlimited" limitations. As opposed to software where you have every possible choice, nearly infinite sounds and layers, with modular systems you really have to think about what you patch, how to maximize your finite amount of modules.

3. I tell myself its not as expensive an interest as yachting or a cocaine addiction. smile

4. It gets better. When I started out I always replacing modules trying out whatever is better for my needs. Once you start being satisfied with your selection, newer stuff won't be as much of a draw. For instance, I'm super happy with my sound sources, cv sources and most of my modifiers. Love my pitch sequencing as well. I'm still searching for trigger sequencing that I *love*. Part of that was solved by the Shakmat Knight's Gallop for euclidian patterns, but for pattern stuff, I'm still on the lookout.

Also to echo strangegravity, narrowing down the manufacturers that work best for you helps a lot. I started out with very different brands in my system and kept searching and replacing until I ended up with what I have now. Its all trial and error of seeing who is supportive of customers, who designs modules that "speak" to you, etc.
Fiddlestickz
nowhere near enough..
Virgil
(1) It's far beyond the realm of sanity. Before I've started I did not believe the platitude that it is a rabbit hole. I was dead wrong.
(2) I hate it. Constantly thinking about it. More so than sex.
(3) You tell me. Luckily the urge to buy something new has become somewhat less pressing because:
(4) You know your life is complete the moment you have two Maths and two Sport Mods in your rack.
cool
bemushroomed
1. I dont see why it matters.. just don't spend cash that you don´t have. However i did not expect to spend this much..

2. yes

3. I always plan ahead and i plan carefully, what expenses do i have currently etc.. I use Google Sheets (similar to Microsoft Excell), i update it often so I'm sure i have enough money to eat wink

4. I think it wears off after a while, when you are happy with what you have..
Funky40
there have been 2-3 such threads allready over the years.
would be funny to see how they compare to todays situation.
back then was euro something else wink........the big Guys were 5U

1) i have no Car but would get here a brandnew 6 series BMW for what went into my modular
2) modular is a nice hobby. happy to have it here. not used that much ( as a tonemaker) recently.
........i started with "soldering" and "buying" at the same time, so was a double hobby. was VERY rewarding my first years !
3)........i never buy on credit ( don´t understand the "budget on sustain" part )
4) 2016 was a VERY rewarding year in that sense.
i got so much SO VERY GOOD Modules, ......whenever i want to patch, it is/will be sooo rewarding.
( DLD, Rainmaker, ReflexLiveLooper, and mainly Rings.....x6 hihi )
but the main thing for me: i turned to Piano playing,.......and right now to play Pianoteq.
Man, playing a software that sounds like a 100´000$+ Grand Piano is even the better thing than playing a big and since ever nice equiped modular.
Piano feels so mature while modular feels ...still.....and kind of year by year more.......like a unmature toy. ( i know, i´m contradictory )
very little Urge right now.
.........some sampler modules to add......

totally heading in the direction of using a modular mainly for FX and sampling-Loopibg-sample mangling,
..........beside the Percussions which is allready covered well.
Funky40
dysonant wrote:

(4) I grew as big as my apartment would reasonably allow. Thank god I did not put a down payment on a house because it would be filled with eurorack.

lol
Refund
# between $8,000 and $12,000 Aud

# yep

# eating baked beans, having no social life, and being perpetually broke

(4) How do you manage the constant urge to want new modules to play with
# I didn't

over the past year or so I 'completed' my case, so now I only buy upgraded versions of existing modules, and occasional new ones, my social life and ability to buy food has returned
Chartreuse-J

Too much, I really do not keep track, just to keep the vomit down.

Pretty much, I figure if all I have is electricity and my modular I'm a happy camper, no TV, no radio, no nothing but just my modular then I'm still happily entertained and creative.

Very carefully.

Probably the worst part of this hobby/artform is it's constant release of new and awesome modules, I think trading would curb it, but I am a module hoarder, so I guess I'm *&$%ed.
terrymccann
1. Around $1000.
2. For sure. I'm new but have already learnt a lot and am having fun!
3. Buy smart. Buy used. Sell other possessions.
4. It's tough. Simply not having the money manages it for me :p.
Effie
Can I just say how jealous I am of anyone buying Euro in America. I'm up in Canada and bought a bunch of stuff from Pulplogic recently; the import fees are brutal. That said, still worth it! I'm never going back smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5