MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
toitoy
tubbutec wrote:
toitoy wrote:
Could it be possible to make it work with Yamaha CS30?

Yes, it would work with any synth with CV/gate input

well, but cs30 requires Hz/Volt control and uses s-trig with 5V pullup. Is it ok?
tubbutec
toitoy wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
toitoy wrote:
Could it be possible to make it work with Yamaha CS30?

Yes, it would work with any synth with CV/gate input

well, but cs30 requires Hz/Volt control and uses s-trig with 5V pullup. Is it ok?

I see, Hz/V is currently not supported, but I will put it on the feature list.
toitoy
That's very cool, looking forward to the release!
tubbutec
[/img]
dark_carcass
hyper hyper screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
tubbutec
We will be at Superbooth 2017 presenting the µTune.
Come visit us at booth 305 and test it smile
tubbutec
Interview on Superbooth, showing a little bit of the µTune:
https://youtu.be/9gm1tDAjiY4?t=1m20s
Paranormal Patroler
d'oh! 1000 I cannot believe I missed you guys at SuperBooth. Last night in Berlin and after everything I see this; sad banana Must-buy for me. Please make this happen!
danielanez
mmeixner wrote:
thresholdpeople wrote:
Fantastic! Watching with interest.

Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module? I'd like to build it into something I'm working on.

+1 !!

+2 for a DIY version. Non presoldered SMD would be better, I think

I'm glad someone brought up the Hz/v standard. If it could be separate by channel that would allow me to use my MS-20 mini with my euro.

There's a feature request I've always wanted: could the quantized scales be updated realtime by holding chords with a keyboard through the MIDI in? That way, when playing a song live, you could make the whole system change chords of your arpeggiators and whatnot by just following chords in a keyboard!

Awesome module!
z3r01
A couple of dumb questions (do bear with me, apologies in advance), so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Bloody hell, have been looking for something like this for awhile now, and not sure how I did not see this sooner.

Anyways, a little feature creep if I may. From what I understand about the module, the CV/Gate outs can be set to different functions (velocity, mod, MIDI Clock/Run), and the module itself has an expansion port.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have an expander module that would 'breakout' these functions instead? An expander module (about 4hp, or less?) that has additional assignable outputs (maybe 2 per channel), plus a Clock, and a Run/Reset output, would make this whole package pretty awesome.
tubbutec
danielanez wrote:

+2 for a DIY version. Non presoldered SMD would be better, I think

Noted. Some SMD parts have a really fine pitch (0.5mm), nothing one would want to solder by hand. (we did it for the prototypes, but it is no fun)

danielanez wrote:

I'm glad someone brought up the Hz/v standard. If it could be separate by channel that would allow me to use my MS-20 mini with my euro.

Of course. All features can be set for each channel independently.

danielanez wrote:

There's a feature request I've always wanted: could the quantized scales be updated realtime by holding chords with a keyboard through the MIDI in? That way, when playing a song live, you could make the whole system change chords of your arpeggiators and whatnot by just following chords in a keyboard!

Not excactly sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

z3r01 wrote:

so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Yes

z3r01 wrote:

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have an expander module that would 'breakout' these functions instead? An expander module (about 4hp, or less?) that has additional assignable outputs (maybe 2 per channel), plus a Clock, and a Run/Reset output, would make this whole package pretty awesome.

The functions of the expander module's inputs and outputs can of course also freely set to any function. So it is not a problem to always have clock, start/stop, etc.
z3r01
tubbutec wrote:

z3r01 wrote:

so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Yes

z3r01 wrote:

The functions of the expander module's inputs and outputs can of course also freely set to any function. So it is not a problem to always have clock, start/stop, etc.

Thanks for the reply, tubbutec.

Ah ok ok, I misinterpreted the part about the expansion module. Somehow I misread it as separate expansion modules for different functions. My bad. d'oh!

With regards to the expander, any idea how many hp it is going to be for now?

Pretty much sold on the module, and eagerly looking forward to it. thumbs up

Thanks again!
CopperHydra
This is a badass utility. Is it capable of polyphonic aftertouch? I'm imagining several uTune's chained together via midi. Also, a feature I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in is an auto tune function. Would these be possible in future updates with this hardware?
freq_divider
tubbutec wrote:
Interview on Superbooth, showing a little bit of the µTune:
https://youtu.be/9gm1tDAjiY4?t=1m20s

that prototype looks great! i even like the color Mr. Green
tubbutec
z3r01 wrote:
With regards to the expander, any idea how many hp it is going to be for now?

Currently trying to fit two more complete channels (8 sockets) into 2HP, but can not promise anything

CopperHydra wrote:
Is it capable of polyphonic aftertouch?
Yes

CopperHydra wrote:

I'm imagining several uTune's chained together via midi.

This will be possible but maybe not necessary. There will be an extension module with two more channels and you can chain several of these for even more channels.

CopperHydra wrote:

Also, a feature I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in is an auto tune function. Would these be possible in future updates with this hardware?

Currently there is a manual VCO calibration procedure which you perform once for each VCO. We will automate this, so a VCO is characterised and calibrated with the touch of a button.
You can save and load this calibration on the SD card.

But maybe what you are thinking about is a continuous measurement and adjustment of the VCO frequency. This feature is possible with the current hardware, but we have not tested it yet. It is also somewhat debatable if this is a 'good' feature at all: By creating such a feedback loop, the original characteristic of the VCO (the reason why you would use an analogue oscillator in the first place) is replaced by the characteristic of the feedback loop.
Paranormal Patroler
Any chance the expander's inputs can be set up so that the NoteOn information also has CV-controllable velocity? It's something I appreciate on the a-192-2 and ADDAC222 and I'd love to have it here as well. Seems like this isn't an option with the current hardware options unless you map CV input #2 to velocity which is a loss in my humble opinion.

I wouldn't mind doing that via the expander if possible. Especially if you keep it at 2HP.
myecholalia
I guess there is no banana version in the cards, is there?
justintonation
Sorry if this has already been asked. But how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?
okkoto
Enjoy the show!
pisrecords
any news? It's peanut butter jelly time!
'';l;"
tubbutec
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing that via the expander if possible. Especially if you keep it at 2HP.

Put velocity for cv-gate to midi converter on the feature list. Thanks for the suggestion.

myecholalia wrote:

I guess there is no banana version in the cards, is there?

Currently not, no. We will however offer a DIY version with unsoldered jack sockets. This should allow it to easily use banana sockets instead.
An important remark about this however: With banana jacks there is no dedicated ground connection in connector and wires. Instead a common ground on the backplane is used. This may lead to additional noise on the CV output which might lower the precision. We have not tested this.

justintonation wrote:

how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?

Currently this is not implemented. It is of course possible to implement these in software. However it is debatable if adjusting portamento parameters with the on screen menu is desirable. I will put it on the feature list if you like, but maybe also consider using a slew rate limiter for this task.

pisrecords wrote:
any news? It's peanut butter jelly time!

We are now working on several fronts:
- Finding the right manufactures for front panel and SMD assembly, getting quotes, sourcing parts, etc.. (almost done)
- Building a few more units by hand for beta testers (sorry we already have enough)
- Finishing the bootloader (firmware update from SD card), so beta testers can actually receive their units
- Software is currently working and the module usable, but with you guys adding feature request all the time of course software development will take some time..
- Designing the extension module(s).
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:

justintonation wrote:

how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?

Currently this is not implemented. It is of course possible to implement these in software. However it is debatable if adjusting portamento parameters with the on screen menu is desirable. I will put it on the feature list if you like, but maybe also consider using a slew rate limiter for this.

Sorry i think i did not explain my question correctly. I am wondering what happens to pitch cv from analog sequencers such as Doepfer a-155 and Verbos multistage which add slew to their outputs. I have never used any quantizer before. Does the quantizer preserve portamento or does it quantize rising or falling cv to the nearest step in the scale?

Thanks
zed888
tubbutec wrote:

But maybe what you are thinking about is a continuous measurement and adjustment of the VCO frequency. This feature is possible with the current hardware, but we have not tested it yet. It is also somewhat debatable if this is a 'good' feature at all: By creating such a feedback loop, the original characteristic of the VCO (the reason why you would use an analogue oscillator in the first place) is replaced by the characteristic of the feedback loop.

Yeah, this doesn't seem useful to me. A more standard tuner (A=440, 443, 415, whatever) would be very handy though. Sorry if that has already been listed as a feature already.
It sounds like this is the way you'd be going anyway, but for the record I'd want a full kit with all the parts and the smd stuff pre-soldered.
As far as glide/lag goes, I say don't bother. Unless you're going to add a dedicated glide knob, menu diving to change a lag value doesn't sound fun. Ladik makes a couple affordable 4hp lag modules- I'll get one of those.
Also- was changing tuning with a trigger a planned feature or just a possible feature? I get confused. This seems like a must to me.
Thanks for all your hard work. It's nice to see the pics of the real unit!
Phil999
why would you want to change tuning with a trigger?
zed888
Because you could use a footswitch if you have your hands full, use a more convenient button/controller, switch tuning in the middle of a sequence, etc...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10