MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

Sorry i think i did not explain my question correctly. I am wondering what happens to pitch cv from analog sequencers such as Doepfer a-155 and Verbos multistage which add slew to their outputs. I have never used any quantizer before. Does the quantizer preserve portamento or does it quantize rising or falling cv to the nearest step in the scale?

Thanks

Depending on your setting µTune will sample continuously, gated or triggered. So if you have a slowly changing cv input you will either get a glissando or a representation of the cv at the moment of triggering. Pretty sure this is the case with every quantiser.

zed888 wrote:

A more standard tuner (A=440, 443, 415, whatever) would be very handy though. Sorry if that has already been listed as a feature already.

It is not listed, but already included

zed888 wrote:

It sounds like this is the way you'd be going anyway, but for the record I'd want a full kit with all the parts and the smd stuff pre-soldered.

Will be available, yes.

zed888 wrote:

As far as glide/lag goes, I say don't bother. Unless you're going to add a dedicated glide knob, menu diving to change a lag value doesn't sound fun.

My thought exactly smile

zed888 wrote:

Also- was changing tuning with a trigger a planned feature or just a possible feature? I get confused. This seems like a must to me.
Thanks for all your hard work. It's nice to see the pics of the real unit!

I have a beta tester with a similar request and we will think of a way to make this work in a user friendly way. There must be a mechanism to define which scales to select from, which order, by trigger, or select via CV etc..
Paranormal Patroler
tubbutec wrote:
zed888 wrote:

Also- was changing tuning with a trigger a planned feature or just a possible feature? I get confused. This seems like a must to me.
Thanks for all your hard work. It's nice to see the pics of the real unit!

I have a beta tester with a similar request and we will think of a way to make this work in a user friendly way. There must be a mechanism to define which scales to select from, which order, by trigger, or select via CV etc..

I say go for CV selection. If people want the option to trigger they can use a sequencer for the job. Most quantizers have a CV input for transposition or scale selection anyway.
thresholdpeople
I second CV selection over trigger. This will allow for specific tuning changes, as opposed to having to step through X- choices with a trigger. It's like the difference between selecting tuning system with a knob or up/down buttons.
zed888
I'd be happy with CV, but it seems like there's room for both. Somebody earlier in the thread was asking about using a footswitch. Maybe you'd have your list of scales to rotate with a toggle for CV or trigger/gate.
RubberGong
MORE INFO smile
justintonation
Bump for news?
six_minds
one more bump for updates?
tubbutec
Still waiting for manufacturer quotes, should not be much longer. In the meantime we are working on the firmware and had producing a few more units which will be shipped to beta testers.
bravedog
Looks like a great unit!

When assigning midi from a keyboard, if eg outputting a created 13-note- to-the- octave even tempered scale, would octaves on the keyboard still be octaves in the white/black key layout, or would they shift to 13 keys/octave [to play pitch and octave of C by pressing keyboard keys, play C key and C# key above]?

With this you can invert keyboard with high pitches at the bottom, right?
tubbutec
bravedog wrote:
When assigning midi from a keyboard, if eg outputting a created 13-note- to-the- octave even tempered scale, would octaves on the keyboard still be octaves in the white/black key layout, or would they shift to 13 keys/octave [to play pitch and octave of C by pressing keyboard keys, play C key and C# key above]?

By default the output notes are mapped to the number of the midi note. So one octave would be 13 keys apart and as a result it would shift they way you describe. It will however be possible to use a keyboard mapping file (.KBM, also used by Scala) to map each keyboard key to a specific scala note. Of if you want to use all 13 notes there is no way to fit them into a normal keyboard.

bravedog wrote:
With this you can invert keyboard with high pitches at the bottom, right?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to create a scale (in Scala or in the µTune editor) which inverts the keyboard.
tubbutec
Progress:

- Added an overview screen which shows larger status info and also includes a two channel tuner!

- Fixed bugs and improved speed, various tiny features

- Completed the Firmware updater (via SD - Card)
NewNewRon
Very interesting. Great work. I'd buy one tomorrow.
justintonation
This project is sounding amazing! I'll be buying at least one.

One question, will the various tunings have a common pitch for the root note and global pitch (i.e pitch 0 or 1/1 and A = 440hz or 4??hz etc. in a scala file?) or will each individual tuning have a separate root note and global pitch reference?

I have some ideas where the root pitch changes with each change in scale which could be achieved in various ways. Either by changing the global reference pitch. Or by changing the tuning of 1/1 or else by including some scales in the list that do not have 1/1 as the first pitch but start on a small ratio like 28/27 or 16/15.

Also will scales that do not repeat at the octave work ?
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

One question, will the various tunings have a common pitch for the root note and global pitch (i.e pitch 0 or 1/1 and A = 440hz or 4??hz etc. in a scala file?) or will each individual tuning have a separate root note and global pitch reference?

Scala files do not have an absolute tuning reference, only relative tuning information. You can set the base pitch by adjusting your VCO accordingly. The µTune contains a two channel tuner for this purpose.

Scala files also do not support the tuning of the 1/1 note, because all pitches are relative to it.

justintonation wrote:

Also will scales that do not repeat at the octave work ?

Yes
justintonation
Thanks for the info. The on board tuner should be really helpful!

I was just reading more about the scala file specification. it seems that 1/1 is also implied in all scales. So the first note to input in your file is your first step away from 0 (1/1) in either a cents or ratio value.
tubbutec
Print test and color sample

[/img]
RubberGong
I was thinking a clock out would make a lot of sense in the expander, at least for my needs smile - would make it a lot more versatile as a straight up midi cv interface.
undothis
Is there a way for this or another module to change speed and time signature of pitch CV generated from an arp module?

Meaning if I have an arpeggiator going into a multi one of the outs will get divided and controle an oscillator. The other one would stay normal so I can have two arpeggios going at different speeds and time signatures? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you
bravedog
Hi, I'm unclear on defining scales as scala files and wonder if defining scales will be within the module, or whether one downloads and uses the scala program independently, and only import them into the module after creation? Scala program is at
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Can anyone familiar with this program tell me if documentation is good and program easy to use, assuming this is how scales for this module are to be created and then imported?

Anyway looks exciting, I wonder current hoped for release date and cost for this module?
zed888
undothis wrote:
Is there a way for this or another module to change speed and time signature of pitch CV generated from an arp module?

Meaning if I have an arpeggiator going into a multi one of the outs will get divided and controle an oscillator. The other one would stay normal so I can have two arpeggios going at different speeds and time signatures? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you

Unless it's an extra feature not mentioned before, this module won't help. You need a clock divider. There are many available- do a search on modulargrid and you'll get lots of results.
EDIT- Actually, if you're using a single arpeggiator, the easiest way to do what I think you want is with a clock-syncing delay like the DubJr MK2, Chronoblob, or Dual Looping Delay. The Disiting Mk4 will work too, but with fewer options.
undothis
Hi Thanks for the write. I was under the impression that a divider was more for trigs and gates not for pitch?

Thank you

zed888 wrote:
undothis wrote:

Thank you

Unless it's an extra feature not mentioned before, this module won't help. You need a clock divider. There are many available- do a search on modulargrid and you'll get lots of results.
EDIT- Actually, if you're using a single arpeggiator, the easiest way to do what I think you want is with a clock-syncing delay like the DubJr MK2, Chronoblob, or Dual Looping Delay. The Disiting Mk4 will work too, but with fewer options.
zed888
undothis wrote:
Hi Thanks for the write. I was under the impression that a divider was more for trigs and gates not for pitch?

Thank you

It is. Hence the edit suggesting a delay. Divide the audio, not the pitch cv.
undothis
Gotcha thanks

zed888 wrote:
undothis wrote:

Thank you

It is. Hence the edit suggesting a delay. Divide the audio, not the pitch cv.
justintonation
bravedog wrote:
Hi, I'm unclear on defining scales as scala files and wonder if defining scales will be within the module, or whether one downloads and uses the scala program independently, and only import them into the module after creation? Scala program is at
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Can anyone familiar with this program tell me if documentation is good and program easy to use, assuming this is how scales for this module are to be created and then imported?

Anyway looks exciting, I wonder current hoped for release date and cost for this module?

I do not know about the specifics of this module but I can speak about the ease of use of the scala program. Scala is deep but quite easy to use. It includes a guided tutorial which should get you going for the basic and most used functions of the program. Documentation for scala is also excellent.
bravedog
Thanks! Yes I have installed Scala now and gone through the tutorial now, it's quite a program for tunings! I THINK I can get where I want by editing existing scales, but there are things I don't see yet such as
1] creating scales by scratch by specifying ,say, cents up from tonic
2]creating scales where octave isn't 2/1
3] creating assignments of all midi keys available on a keyboard without any octave values [guess this is done through #2 just setting hi and low notes of keyboard as the 'octave'

in other words, the tutorial seems to deal mostly with analysis and exploration of existing scales, which is great, but I wonder if there's any resource link to creating new scales?

Also in File>open scale I don't see any way to type in scale name? Scrolling through thousands of names inefficient. Probably am missing something...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8