MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
tubbutec
Update:

Received final front panel sample (see picture), PCBs ordered, almost all parts in stock and the assembler ready to begin.

[/img]
justintonation
bravedog wrote:
Thanks! Yes I have installed Scala now and gone through the tutorial now, it's quite a program for tunings! I THINK I can get where I want by editing existing scales, but there are things I don't see yet such as
1] creating scales by scratch by specifying ,say, cents up from tonic
2]creating scales where octave isn't 2/1
3] creating assignments of all midi keys available on a keyboard without any octave values [guess this is done through #2 just setting hi and low notes of keyboard as the 'octave'

in other words, the tutorial seems to deal mostly with analysis and exploration of existing scales, which is great, but I wonder if there's any resource link to creating new scales?

Also in File>open scale I don't see any way to type in scale name? Scrolling through thousands of names inefficient. Probably am missing something...

Point 1. yes you can do this 2. You can do this too. 3. Notes are just assigned in the order in which you define them in the scala file assuming your synth can handle full synth retuning.

Here is a tutorial that might cover the things that perhaps were not in the tutorial. It covers how to create non octave scales and also just scales. Scales with arbitrary cents values are created in the scame way as just scales, except cents values are used instead of ratios.
http://sevish.com/2015/make-a-new-musical-scale/
sizone
regarding #2, actually, by definition you can't do that. you can create nonoctave scales, but without doubling the frequency of the initial tone you don't have an octave.

creating a new scale in scala is easy. just go to file, new scale and up comes the editing window. you can specify your scale degrees by ratio, cents or frequency
justintonation
sizone wrote:
regarding #2, actually, by definition you can't do that. you can create nonoctave scales, but without doubling the frequency of the initial tone you don't have an octave.

I assumed that he just meant ability to create scales that repeat at intervals other than the octave. I answered his question based on the assumption that this is what he meant. He should of said repeating interval or something rather than octave since as you say an octave refers to the ratio 2/1. But etymology wise octave is from the latin for 8.

Here is some info regarding octaves
http://www.tonalsoft.com/sonic-arts/dict/octave.htm
bravedog
Thanks for your replies! Yes that Sevish link is helpful! Of course I used 'octave' to mean the scale repetition interval, specifically how to set other than 2/1 or true octave. I can't think of another word to use for for the repetition interval for a scale, guess there must be a term?

I remain interested in other resources and tips pages re Scala, please post any such.

I'm also interested in exploring stretching/shrinking keyboards in which as one goes up the keyboard octaves [in my incorrect usage of the term] grow or shrink in interval spread. The simplest implementation is to switch to inappropriate use of Hertz per volt instead of V per octave, such as by running through a converter for eg Korg's Hertz per volt as exist in the Disting. However if this capability might easily be added to the Microtonal module, with adjustable hz/oct, I'd make use of it! [I think not feasible as your implementation is through midi - but I'm still eagerly looking forward to your release!]
tubbutec
@bravedog

in both scala and µTune you can set the 'repetition interval' to anything you like, not just an octave. If you want a scale without any repetition interval on the logarithmic scale, you must define each note explicitly. The result is a scale with 100+ notes, but not a problem and is completely supported.

Hz/V will be supported
Jtalton
so what is the price and ETA on being able to order?
thanks. its looks awesome and will be a day one buy from me.
Paranormal Patroler
Jtalton wrote:

I would like to know this as well.
slow_riot
I'm bowled over by the implementation of this! No-one has done it before in modular. Can't wait to get one.

Will it run OK on +/-15V ?

Hope the expo converter circuitry of VCOs is up to the challenge! Microtuning will really show up any limitations.
tubbutec
Jtalton wrote:

Don't have an ETA yet. What I can tell you however is that all parts are now on the way to the assembly house, front panel delivery expected this week.
Price will most likely be in 290€, less if you life outside the EU
tubbutec
slow_riot wrote:

Will it run OK on +/-15V ?

Yes, it was designed to also run on +-15V from the start. Actually up to +-18 is ok. Ne additional 5V supply needed.

slow_riot wrote:

Hope the expo converter circuitry of VCOs is up to the challenge! Microtuning will really show up any limitations.

The included VCO calibration helps a lot with ba VCOs
zed888
Do you have a rough price for kits? Are they still planned?
Paranormal Patroler
Any more info on the expander? Is it still planned for 2HP? What functionality will that add? Additional CV control over parameters ?

You mentioned something about pitch tracking, so I have to ask, is there any possibility that I will (in the future) be able to use one of the four channels as a microtonal pitch-to-CV/MIDI device with natural control over amplitude (re: internal envelope follower tracking) ?
tubbutec
Kits are still planned, don't have a price for them yet, but they will be cheaper than the complete version. (You might think this should be obvious but from a manufacturing standpoint it is not necessarily so )

The expander will add two complete channels in 2HP. Each channel having gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out. You can use the exactly like the other channels, which means you can also cv control parameters.

The gate-ins can detect pitch. It could be possible to convert this pitch into midi data. I don't know however if this is stable enough to be actually useful, but I will put it on the list. Envelope tracking is not possible this way.
tubbutec
Expander in 2HP / 33mm depth

Paranormal Patroler
I apologize if I'm asking too many questions.

tubbutec wrote:
The expander will add two complete channels in 2HP. Each channel having gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out. You can use the exactly like the other channels, which means you can also cv control parameters.

This means I can use the CV inputs to address parameters on the other channels, right?

Can I use the MIDI input to send information on other MIDI channels, independently of the quantization channels? You did mention that the module will work as a powerful MIDI router but since I don't have the details I have to ask.
peanut
Super excited for this. Thanks for all the info., Tubbutec!
bandenoire
Would gladly retire my Expert Sleepers modules for 3-4 of the uTunes! Is there a pre-order?
tubbutec
bandenoire wrote:
Would gladly retire my Expert Sleepers modules for 3-4 of the uTunes! Is there a pre-order?

Yes, just contact us at mail@tubbutec.de

µTune is in production now and we are eagerly awaiting the delivery of the first batch
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:
µTune is in production now and we are eagerly awaiting the delivery of the first batch

Excellent ! applause
bravedog
tubbutec wrote:
bandenoire wrote:

Yes, just contact us at mail@tubbutec.de

Tried to email about preorder but got message your email isn't working, error message says
"Delivery failure reason: bad response to DATA command (550 5.7.1 Command rejected)"
---------

update 8/25 after a week of 18 attempts by the mail system to deliver that email the mailer has abandoned it as undeliverable.

A message via the tubbutec website was quickly answered and for now this is probably a better way to reach them if you have this problem, which tubbetec says isn't shared by all.
six_minds
Just to check- is the expander module also in production?? thanks!
tubbutec
six_minds wrote:
Just to check- is the expander module also in production?? thanks!

No, it is still in development and will be available at a later date
f33d
wow, finally THE QUEEN of Quantizers arrives!

feature creep:

- scale shift options of uScale: pre, diaton, post & b-mode chro. & diaton.

- note mask options of Arpitecht: implementing-suggestion: together with the expander we'd got 4 chans so we could set it up like this:
chan. 1. CV-IN quantizing
chan. 2. CV-IN modulating an option for chan. 1. - e.g. making the note-choice tighter ---> of 31 notes / oct smaller & smaller scale with higher volts, now that I am thinking about it, something similar could be done with a VCA & offset on the modulation going to be quantized...
... but the general Idea to use other channels gate & cv-ins for options, like gate in from chan. 2 to "hold/freeze" of chan 1. etc. would be nice that'd bring much more "realistic playing" style instead of just riding a scale up & down, but again ok one could use other module for this an the pre-quantizer-modulation, right? cool

looking much forward to my "last" quanizer w00t
tubbutec
[/img]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 7 of 10