MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor

GGW

I'm looking forward to what you come up with. One channel would be fine but two will be interesting.
For myself, I just want to be able to offset the notes of the standard 12tet octave. It should be able to do this, separate from requiring scala files. Unless I'm really missing something, scala is based on the starting root note still being "C" of 12tet tuning and the other notes being offset from there. To change that root, the tuning needs to be offset and the other notes recalculated to bring them back to their original value.

tubbutec

GGW wrote:
I'm looking forward to what you come up with. One channel would be fine but two will be interesting.
For myself, I just want to be able to offset the notes of the standard 12tet octave. It should be able to do this, separate from requiring scala files. Unless I'm really missing something, scala is based on the starting root note still being "C" of 12tet tuning and the other notes being offset from there. To change that root, the tuning needs to be offset and the other notes recalculated to bring them back to their original value.

Hi if I understand you correctly, you are describing a 'transpose' feature, which will be implemented, but can also be realized with a simple adder.

Scala can do this too, you can choose a different base note when uploading.

Scala describes scales based on the distance to 'C', but it is really just a notation, not a limitation in functionality.

The finished product will be able to map an input note (via midi or CV) to any output voltage. the don't even have to be in ascending order...

Liddlepud

Can we have 2 channels please.

tubbutec

Liddlepud wrote:

tubbutec wrote:
Now working on this module, it will have two channels and be chainable to add more channels if needed.

Liddlepud

tubbutec wrote:
Liddlepud wrote:

tubbutec wrote:
Now working on this module, it will have two channels and be chainable to add more channels if needed.

Excellent, I thought it would be greedy to ask for 4 channels but chainable sounds like a good compromise.

Villarceau

would be awesome

Arders Bergdahl

I would be very exited if the module would support scales that are not built on octaves.. Like Bohlen- pierce
Also look at the great app Scalegen if you can support all type of scales that Scalegen can support you are quite complete.. It would entail mapping EVERY note to a cv ... Probably

tubbutec

Arders Bergdahl wrote:
I would be very exited if the module would support scales that are not built on octaves.. Like Bohlen- pierce
Also look at the great app Scalegen if you can support all type of scales that Scalegen can support you are quite complete.. It would entail mapping EVERY note to a cv ... Probably

thanks for the suggestion, will have a look at it.

tubbutec

CAD work for 3HE version finished, PCB is at 30%. This is roughly how it will look like:

[/img]

sopresada

yeah seriously, seriously interested in this.

+1 for banana format please!

Phil999

looks good. So it is also a two-channel MIDI-CV converter. With USB and DIN MIDI. Very versatile and useful.

I think this module could also attract musicians and composers who aren't that much into electronic music yet.

microtonal

Here are some microtonal quantizer suggestions I posted on another recent thread. It seems your device will have most of these features.

An important distinction for CV based quantizing over MIDI is the ability to support more than 128 notes per scale. So if the range is 10V, and the scale is 31 notes, then 311 notes should be quantized in that range.

Microtonal Quantizer desirable features:
* SD card interface to load scala scales while having them resident on the modular
* Text or graphic display to display file names, scale, note and tuning details
* High resolution true 14-16 bit DAC, not an audio DAC
* 1 cent or better accuracy
* >50 notes per tuning scale
* User settable tuning repeat for non-octave scales (the last two features enable modular to break the 128 note MIDI limit)
* Integrated transposition to adjust VCO/VCF ratios with the quantized scale
* Real time transposition and tuning selection

tubbutec

yes, pretty much all these features (and some more) are either planned or already implemented smile

About the 'more than 128 notes topic'

When playing over midi, it will be possible to transpose (for example using the CV IN)

It will also be possible to set the number of notes/volt at the CV in, so lot more that 128 notes are possible.

accuracy is about 0.2cents

Mood Organ

tubbutec wrote:
CAD work for 3HE version finished, PCB is at 30%. This is roughly how it will look like:

[/img]

Do you need gate in AND gate out? You only use 1 at a time, right? Could be 1 jack and a switch?

Mood Organ

sopresada wrote:
yeah seriously, seriously interested in this.

+1 for banana format please!

+2!

Phil999

Mood Organ wrote:

Do you need gate in AND gate out? You only use 1 at a time, right? Could be 1 jack and a switch?

I think both are needed at the same time. You go in with one or two standard CV-gate pairs and out comes the re-tuned CV-gate pairs, so you can use it without USB or MIDI at all.

Mood Organ

Phil999 wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

I think both are needed at the same time. You go in with one or two standard CV-gate pairs and out comes the re-tuned CV-gate pairs, so you can use it without USB or MIDI at all.

Why would the gate out be different than the gate in?

http://www.modcan.com/amodules/quantizer.html

2 modes:
* gate in (gate tells the quantizer when to sample the CV in)
* gate out (quantizer is always sampling CV in; fire a gate when CV moves from one quantized value to another)

tubbutec

Hi, the gate in can be used for the following functions:

- sampling gate
- sampling trigger
- potentially some other functions, such as randomly trigger a note etc...

the gate output:

- gate from midi cv / gate
- output midi clock with adjustable divider

additionally both gate in and cv can detect if a jack is plugged in. This is used to switch between the various modes.

if for example nothing is plugged into 'gate in', the quantizer is put into continuous mode. if nothing is plugged into cv in, the module will default to midi in.. and so on. The behaviour is of course configurable.

so
A: it makes sense to use both at the same time
B: it is much more convenient to have dedicated sockets
C: a switch takes as much space, if not more on the panel

microtonal

tubbutec wrote:
yes, pretty much all these features (and some more) are either planned or already implemented smile

About the 'more than 128 notes topic'

When playing over midi, it will be possible to transpose (for example using the CV IN)

It will also be possible to set the number of notes/volt at the CV in, so lot more that 128 notes are possible.

accuracy is about 0.2cents

That is great news! Thanks for working on this.

Phil999

Mood Organ wrote:

Why would the gate out be different than the gate in?

of course. Sorry about that, my brain wasn't switched on.

To tubbutec: nice options. Really looking forward for this module.

I think this and the ES-8 are the only modules left I really need.

tubbutec

Little update: Prototype PCBs are ordered, software development can begin. This will certainly be the largest part of this project given all the features.

Timmy

This sounds like a great module which should satisfy all microtonal needs.

Just for the sake of completeness, it is worth mentioning that the Mutable Instruments Yarns MIDI-to-CV module supports microtonal tunings and Scala scale files transmitted to it over MIDI, and even provides an online Scala editor - see "Tuning systems" at http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns/manual

Of course, Yarns is only MIDI-to-CV, it doesn't do quantisation, but it is very accurate (16-bit DAC, better than 1mV resolution). It's also open-source so the firmware can be modified, and the hardware design adapted to other, non-eurorack formats if required.

There's also Ornament & Crime (disclaimer: I am a co-developer of the firmware for it), which offers, amongst other things, a 4 channel quantiser mode which supports microtonal tunings - both built-in scales/tunings and 4 user-editable scales with up to 16 microtonal semitones per octave. It is also 16-bit accurate with better than 1mV resolution, and is also open-source, so both the firmware (including the included scales/tunings) and hardware is available for modification and/or adaptation to other formats (someone did a dual Buchla format version of it). However, it doesn't support MIDI or SD cards, nor Scala scales. See https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C and firmware documentation at https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/wiki/Ornaments-and-Crimes-extended-firmw are

tubbutec

Hi,

again an update:

been working on this for the last months, picture shows a version I had a few Months back. Final version will have a larger display.

Lot of the features have been implemented already, all the basic stuff is already working:

Midi in out, quantizer, gates, various modes, usb, the editor, loading and saving scales etc..

Working very smoothly and it's a lot of fun already..

Still some way to go to go, but hoping the Eurorack version will be available in April, the 5HE version a bit later.

microtonal

sweet

calaveras

stupendous!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5